Notifications
Clear all

Whoa! Weird Weather, Heat Events and Storms

(@jewels-2)
Noble Member Registered

Last night's full moon was blindingly bright.  Light shot out of it, like a star or cross. Lovely, but too intense. Did anyone else notice?   And please let this amazing moon bring good things. :)

JourneyWithMe2, Iridium, Michele and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

@jewels

I was driving home while it was rising.  It made my jaw drop.

Maggieci, JourneyWithMe2, Grace and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Wild weather indeed.  

Today in the Woodland Hills area of Los Angeles it was a stunning 121 degrees. It was also the highest official temperature ever recorded in L.A. County as well as Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/at-121-degrees-woodland-hills-hits-all-time-heat-milestone-and-a-record-for-l-a-county/

In Denver,  a 60-degree drop in the city's high temperature, from 99 degrees to 37 degrees, is expected in a mere 48 hours Sunday to Tuesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/06/weather/holiday-weekend-weather-forecast-record-heat-cold-snap-snow/index.html

JourneyWithMe2, deetoo, Rohenna and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Yesterday Phoenix hit 110 degrees or more for the 53rd time this year.  The previous record was 33 days back in 2011.  We also have had barely any monsoon storms.  

This should be alarming!

JourneyWithMe2, deetoo, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Phoenix just broke another record.  144 days of 100 degrees or higher temps this year.  More 100's expected this week.

Also, We  now have exactly half of the days so far this year at 100 degrees or more.

Not, this is not normal.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-weather/2020/10/14/phoenix-sets-record-144-days-100-degrees-higher-temperatures/3651275001/

Share, Avon, Vesta and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Avon
(@avon)
Noble Member Registered

@lovendures I lived in the East Valley for 30+ yrs off and on, a lot of my family is still there. I left 2yrs ago and haven't looked back, it just became so unbearable. I remember when I was a kid and we hit the 122 degree record. I don't see know how the Southwest in general is going to survive. It breaks my heart, I consider AZ my home state, the drought and heat just gets worse year after year. I pray something changes. 

Maggieci, deetoo, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Illustrious Member Registered

In addition to making a go bag a day before Henri made landfall here 2 weeks ago, I made an impromptu go bag on Wednesday night as weather alerts flooded my phone and the remnants of Ida literally deluged the Northeast. Just today the New York Time published a guide to making go bags and "stay bins," and we're at a point where everyone should be thinking about this: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/02/well/go-bag-essentials.html

Speaking about the floods yesterday, Governor Hochul of New York said that "there are no more cataclysmic, unforeseeable events. We need to foresee these in advance and be prepared.” She's exactly right.

Rohenna, deetoo, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

@earthangel 

I'm glad you're alright. Really. I'm still processing the scope of Ida in the Northeast, and I'm shaken by how much devastation occurred in such a short amount of time; by how tornadoes ripped apart houses and floodwaters drowned dozens of people.

@jeanne-mayell

You talked about having to manually pump your basement during Elsa, so I know it must be a huge relief to be dry after this storm. My parents' sump pump gave out during Elsa and they ended up with 2 feet of water in the basement. They installed a more powerful pump soon after that, and so far we're dry (there's still a huge amount of water in the ground, so I'm not exhaling yet).

Vesta, deetoo, earthangel and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@coyote It's now been 30 hours since it stopped raining and I can hear our new miracle pump spewing out gallons of water from below ground every five minutes. It pumps the water before it reaches the floor level so if it weren't pumping, the water would still be rising 30 hours after the rain stopped. Oops, there it goes again.

Vesta, Rohenna, deetoo and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

@coyote Truly I was debating in my head at 12:30am about whether or not I should head to the basement. My husband wanted to go down. But I wanted the comfort of the couch if I couldn’t have my bed. Of course, after I became less blurry eyed was up most of the night. Like you, I thought of the devastation… and how on earth one deals w flooding waters in the pitch black of night. Horrifying. One of my former students lived this ordeal. Her young family lost everything. 

Vesta, deetoo, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

Yesterday, a flock of geese flew over, going north. My niece asked if that might mean an early winter.

Lovendures, deetoo, Lovendures and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@elaineg I keep my finance software going with all my known expenditures and bills through the end of the next calendar year (so I know what’s coming in and going through December 31st 2022)  I normally budget for the year 3 $500 propane fill ups for my house, but this year I felt compelled to budget 4 fill ups - I don’t know if that means “early winter” or “late spring” but I’ve always been good just budgeting for a fill up in late November, mid January and early March…

BlueBelle, ElaineG, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@fmabon)
Reputable Member Registered

@jewels It was a New Moon on Sunday, where did you see a full moon?

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@fmabon 

I believe that comment from Jewels was from last September.  I had to do a double take.  haha. 

fmabon and fmabon reacted
ReplyQuote
(@fmabon)
Reputable Member Registered

@lovendures Now that really would be weird!

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

A hurricane is about to produce a a blizzard.  Hurricane Larry is being describe as a monster but for unusual reasons.  Larry will make landfall in Newfoundland as a cat 1 hurricane arriving with winter weather conditions to the island.  Then it will travel to Greenland and produce a BLIZZARD with feet of snow.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/10/weather/hurricane-larry-forecast-weekend-snow-greenland/index.html

Baba, raincloud, Iridium and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@lovendures   

This is fascinating to me.  So a hurricane dumping snow in Greenland is weird, but it also can act as one tiny mitigator of global warming. 

Two reasons: 

More snow on the ground = more reflectivity of Earth's surface, i.e, an increased reflectivity of the sun's energy back to space.

More snow on the ground = more ice supply to the glacier to mitigate their shrinkage. 

Which makes me wonder what the overall effect of global warming is on precipitation volumes at high latitudes, and whether increased precipitation could help offset warming and melting in any meaningful way.  (Someone must have done some modeling on that; I will have to go look.  :-)  )

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, raincloud and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

from https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/climate-change-impacts/regional:

"Much of the increase in precipitation is expected to occur at high latitudes. Increased snowfall near both poles may offset some of the melting of glaciers and ice sheets in these regions by adding fresh ice to the tops of these features. Some places in Antarctica are even gaining more snow via increased precipitation than they are losing to melting caused by rising temperatures."

Published by National Center for Atmospheric Research and the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research. 

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

California officials are urgently advising residents in some California communities like Big Sur, to prepare with 2 weeks of food as a new powerful  storm is expected to hit.  In most cases it will produce rain where there has been snow in the foothills of some of the Sierra Mountains and a deluge of flooding water is anticipated to flow through rivers.

First a cold weather storm will hit in the Northern California area Wednesday producing more 1-2 feet more snow similar to the previous storms.  A second warmer storm will hit Thursday and cover much of California including the Souther California area.  The second storm is expected to be powerful and heavy as it is fueled by an atmospheric river reaching to Hawaii nick-named the Pineapple Express.

Rain rain hitting snow is expected at the 8,000-9,000 foot level which is going to cause MAJOR issues.  Santa Barbara is expect to deal with major amounts of flooding as well. As a point of reference, Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada Mountains is at the 6,224' elevation mark.  Big Bear in Southern California at 6,752'.  Both areas are covered in record snow fall amounts.

Jeanne and members on this site have predicted events like this one to become more normal as Climate Change ramps up.  

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/08/weather/california-atmospheric-river-flood-wednesday/index.html

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/2023-03-07-california-atmospheric-river-flood-threat

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, CC21 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

An intense typhoon now striking Myanmar and Bangladesh this morning where there are 800,000 people living in a densely populated refugee camp. The people are fleeing violence in Myanmar.  Please say prayers.

The Bay of Bengal is currently 86 degrees F., fueling what is the equivalent of a category 5 hurricane (think Katrina) but with millions more people and they are living in flimsy housing.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/13/asia/cyclone-mocha-aid-agencies-myanmar-bangladesh-climate-intl-hnk/index.html

Lauren, Vesta, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: