Notifications
Clear all

Help! I need a new job

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I am starting this help needed thread for anyone who needs to find a job, whether they are unemployed, or just want to change their job, or are concerned that their job is going to let them go.  What do you do?  Where to even start?  How to deal with your own fears, feelings of vulnerability, what not to do, where can you find help navigating this seemingly monumental challenge. Am transfering recent posts from the "Help or Prayers Needed Thread" that pertain to jobs. I know there are many people facing job change challenges right now. So I hope they will post here. 

I also hope that people well-versed in the challenge of job hunting both emotional and technical challenges will give us some tips on how to help people

Saga, deetoo, CC21 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

This will be a long post, but necessary, at least to me. I don't know if I'm asking for help, guidance, or what, but I need to get it out of my head, and this seemed to be as good place as any.

I think I probably come across here as pretty grounded and having everything together - at least as much as any of us can - but as with a lot of people, how I appear on line doesn't reflect what's really going on.

As an update, last September I had a sudden ruptured disk in my neck which forced me out of work, resulting in a doctor-caused but thankfully very short-lived physical dependency on a nerve medication. A week after the ruptured disk happened, I took a fall in which I broke a rib and tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Once the rib had healed, I had to have surgery to repair my shoulder in December, meaning that I was still unable to return to work for a few more months. I had my last physical therapy appointment for my shoulder today, April 25, and everything seems to be going well with the recovery and healing from that. I will likely still have some ongoing issues for at least a few to several more months until my shoulder and neck get back to where they were, or at least as close as possible. That's where I am physically.

Although I was and still am unemployed, I was thankfully still covered under my previous employer's insurance thanks to COBRA, so none of these medical issues became a financial burden. However, that insurance coverage is coming to an end in a few days, so I have had to apply for coverage through the ACA to begin on May 1. In order to get proper coverage, I had to tell them that I either had made or estimated that I would make a certain amount of money, which I did, but now I am rather desperate to find work because I have to submit proof of income to the ACA by July 20 or the coverage will be cancelled. I had no doubt at the time that I would make that amount this year, but the temporary agency that I am working with again is having difficulty finding me a position. I'm trying not to panic because I do still have a few months to get it sorted, but I can feel the fear rising. That's where I am financially.

So where am I mentally? I don't know. Ever since I left my last permanent job in October of 2022, I have felt completely rudderless for the most part. I was able to function relatively well for about a year after that because I was able to find temporary employment, so I could maintain some semblance of normalcy. I don't know if it was the injuries, some new age-related and/or recurring medical issues, the medications that I was on for a while or what, but during these events and my physical recovery period from September to now, I have lost interest in pretty much everything. I have no goals, plans, or even ideas. I have unconsciously disconnected from everything and everyone in my life except for my mother, with whom I live. I have become a hermit, only venturing out when it was necessary and spending far too much time (12-14 hours a day) online switching between various news, social media, and gaming sites to distract myself and keep my mind occupied. In addition, due to my enforced inactivity these last several months, I have also gained about 25 pounds, so I don't look or feel the way I'd like to.

I look at myself and I think, "I need to do something about all this." Unfortunately, I have no motivation or discipline to change any of it, nor would I even know where to begin, and I can't see any of that changing anytime soon. All of that says I'm probably suffering from depression, possibly of the clinical variety, but neither my current insurance nor the new one that I will be getting has any coverage for mental health services or medications, and such services aren't cheap, even the ones that are for low-income people like myself at the moment.

I don't have any clue what I want to do with the rest of my life or even how to begin to think about it. I know that a lot of this has to do with being unable to work these past many months and therefore feeling useless and unproductive. I have a decent resume and a crap-ton of experience in customer service and a few other things, but I'm terrible at interviews and since my introversion has once again raised it's head, the thought of having to physically go out and find work has me almost paralyzed. I have no idea what I want to do or even what to look for.

So...now that it's all out of my head, I have to figure out what to do with it. If you feel inclined to offer support/prayers/guidance, please feel free. If not, at least wish me luck. 🤣

Freya, Maggieci, matildagirl and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 anya
(@anya)
Reputable Member Registered

@tgraf66 I am in a similar situation due to extreme fatigue and chronic pain and such post surgery.

I do know that you can ask your normal doc if he would be comfortable prescribing ssri's for pain management.  They are antidepressants with the least side effects.  I think luvox has some anti-covid effects, and lexapro seems to have less of the sexual side effects.  You could ask to start on a very low dose and contact pcp if you have issues.  Gentle exercise helps if you can do it consistently.

Maggieci, BlueBelle, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 anya
(@anya)
Reputable Member Registered

If you go in them and feel worse tell your doc asap, and consult on how to taper off.

deetoo, CC21, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

@tgraff

My friend I am so sorry to hear of your struggles.

Please be sure to be very gentle with yourself.

Watch out for that Lexapro. Not knowing I was bipolar it had a terrible effect on me. I'll spare you the details but it was life changing and blew up my life at the time.

I so understand what you shared. More than you can know.

Don't judge yourself too harshly. You are grieving and grief can flatten you.Rest as much as you can. Open the window. Much love to you.

Maggieci, 2ndfdl, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@tgraf66 I am sorry to hear of your difficulties, but so glad you reached out! 

There is some good advice here already. I just want to second the suggestion about asking your PCP for a possible eval/meds dose to help lift the fog a bit. Might be enough to help you take the next steps.

Take it one thing at a time (much easier said than done, I realize), but I was just thinking — have you checked with your local public library for job support? They may be just the resource you need to figure out next steps, help sort out the most useful path forward. They may offer support on resume updating, job boards, etc. If nothing else, I know for a fact (being a librarian) that if they don’t have an answer for you, they will find one or point you in the right direction! 

In the meanwhile, I will be sending you some good light and energy and clarity that you may find the next right step to take during this challenging time. Hang in there! We are with you!

Lovendures, deetoo, Maggieci and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@tgraf66 I am sending healing and a phalanx of angels to help you navigate this challenging time. You can do it, I know that much. And you are very lucid about your situation, which is important.   

The job search world has changed dramatically in the last few decades.  While it is more challenging in that companies put prospective employees through more hoops, it is also more advantageous, in that there are gig jobs that get people going while they search.  

Taskrabbit (and there are others doing the same thing) is a  gig website that gets people's juices moving for pay. I found my developer that way. Many entrepreneurs use taskrabbit and other gig sites to get new business. Then customers sometimes hire those people into full time employment. 

Volunteering while waiting for job opportunities gets people jobs, because it gets your juices moving, and you meet people on those volunteer jobs, who in turn are likely to help you get the paying job. 

Meditation groups help elevate your spirits to where you can start looking. (hint, hint - Circle of Light)

deetoo, matildagirl, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

P.S. What not to do.  Do not become a couch potato.  Get yourself moving and connecting with people.  Volunteering is a great way to get moving, and it can turn into a job.

Going to the gym or getting out and jogging, hiking, gardening, any form of strenuous activity. Join a hiking, jogging, gardening group, any kind of group that is moving. 

Exercise and volunteering will boost your self esteem and get you back in the game. I have a friend who volunteered in a soup kitchen that made meals. He told everyone he was looking for work, whereupon another volunteer ended out getting him a job.  Who would have known?  

Saga, Freya, Tara Prete and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell Yes!  This is wise, practical, direct advice.  Though it's likely far more difficult to follow when depressed, any steps forward, in the ways Jeanne suggests, will aid healing.

deetoo, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@tgraf66 I just sent you healing and saw the face of a young boy.  I think this is you as a child.  I am cautioning you to stay positive, to push away negative, fearful thoughts.  as those attract negative energy and defeat.  Every time you start feeling afraid or depressed, please acknowledge those thoughts and gently push them away so you can keep positive energies around you. 

I’ve had to tell both our sons about the dangers of negative thinking within the last year.  One son lost his job and got another.  Now the other son is job hunting and senses that the clock is ticking on his present position.  We have to envision our goals in order to manifest them.  We can control our thoughts.

I wish you well, tgraf66.

Tara Prete, Lovendures, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

@tgraff

I sense that the initial step for you is to walk out your door, down your street, and feel the sun and soft air on your face. Breathe it in. Do this every day, then when you can, start taking regular walks.  Don't think about anything, just breathe in and appreciate the life of springtime. When you can, reach out to the one person you miss and trust, and meet up with them. Re-engage, a bit at a time. What you desire is coming to you, but you must start moving to meet it.

Lovendures, Tesseract, deetoo and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@lowtide @tgraf66 @billy-mike

Totally agree with the gentle suggestions! Even the smallest step can seem so daunting when depressed, but I agree with what @lowtide is saying. Breathe, get outside in the sun. One thing at a time.

Tesseract, deetoo, Vesta and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vreece1211)
Active Member Contributor

Take your time you have been through a lot.  I lost my job a couple of years ago in addition to other very stressful events that were extremely difficult to manage physically and mentally. I found programs through my state for financial/emotional support and that helped until I was able to become physically healthy.  I agree with the other suggestions too. Take a few steps when you can, breathe and remember that your spirit guide is there to love, protect and guide you. Negative thoughts will come, let them pass as suggested with no judgement. What also helped me is talking to my loved ones, meditating and  I constantly listened to one of Jeanne Mayell's guided meditations on finding the right job. I hope this helps. Blessings to you!

CC21, Tesseract, lowtide and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@vreece1211 I forgot about that meditation. So thank you.  I am glad it helped you.  I will see if @tgraf66 feels he would listen to it.

CC21, Tesseract, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vreece1211)
Active Member Contributor

@jeanne-mayell Thank you! Yes it really helped me!!!

ReplyQuote
(@matildagirl)
Famed Member Registered

@tgraf66 

Hi, sorry about what is happening to you, and I hope it all comes together for you. My suggestion for what it’s worth is to start walking.

It’s been found that exercise is more beneficial than counselling and medications for treating depression. See the articles below.  Starting walking will also have the added benefit it will help with weight control, it will get you out of the house, it’s free, if it’s somewhere green or near water will be even better.  Just one foot in front of the other and get going. If you feel healthier, breathing fresh air you can think better and plan better and cope better.

Good luck

Regards

Matildagirl

https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Exercise-and-depression.pdf

https://www.unisa.edu.au/media-centre/Releases/2023/exercise-more-effective-than-medicines-to-manage-mental-health/

University of South Australia researchers are calling for exercise to be a mainstay approach for managing depression as a new study shows that physical activity is 1.5 times more effective than counselling or the leading medications.

CC21, Tesseract, Jeanne Mayell and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lolo57)
Eminent Member Registered

Hi - bit of a lurker, this is my first real post - I need some direction at the moment. My work contract is coming to an end in 2 weeks and whilst I love working, I am almost at retirement age. The home situation is good, very supportive and due to the death this week of my sister in law, my husband and I are looking at moving in with his mother to keep her company and keep her safe, if the rest of the family agree. I don't have any issues with this as she's a wonderful person and I think of her as my mum. Can anyone foresee any problems if we do this? Thanks in advance.

deetoo, CC21, Vesta and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lolo57 Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you reached out. Hoping you will get some responses soon. It is late on the east coast so  I will look back in tomorrow when I have a little time.  Maybe someone else has some thoughts.

deetoo and Vesta reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tesseract)
Famed Member Registered

@tgraf66 

Below are some affirmations from Catherine Ponder's The Prosperity Secret of the Ages. Her books are easy reads and full of great affirmations. Remember, with affirmations, to pick one time each day to set them into the Universe and then repeat repeat repeat all through the day. That one "same time" saying outloud is like the frame on paper mache and all the other times are paper and glue buildig it into manifestation.

Always use NOW aka PRESENT TENSE. You want it NOW not soon or in a few weeks. If you use future tense, such as "I will have" or "I want to have" you are keeping it in the future, wanting rarher than manifesting. 

Affirmations for Prosperity

I am prosperous in Health, Happiness, and Financial Substance. 

I am open and receptive to success. I release all my fears and replace with joyful confidence. 

The Spirit of Success is NOW workng with me and I AM in all ways guided, prospered, and Blessed. 

I call on the great Law of Restoration. My good is not lost. My good is at hand and appearing NOW.

My eyes are single to the GOOD!

All the other suggestions from the Community are fantastic! Especially the fresh air and walking. Do a walking meditation by repeating your affirmations (silently if too many folks around) as you walk, breathing in Prana the breath of Life and then releasing all that no longer serves you and all that does not belong to you.

DO open to possibilities that seem out of your chosen framework, you never know when something is a perfect fit unless you try it on. DO take something even if it is not what you think you want so you can pay bills because something else will manifest if you are disciplined and continue to  build your "paper mache" in the greater Universe. Thoughts become reality.

DO consider the advice from the others here about meds and especially fresh air!

Remember once a day same time sets it in the etheric. Repeating throughout the day with firmness and joy builds it into manifestation. Discipline, Trust, and ACTION (affirmations are action!) are your stairs to success. 

I'm seeing Ben Franklin behind you. Do you invent things?? Anyway your creativity is important in manifesting. Just don't go flying a kite in a storm!! 😛 DO see if there is something about Franklin that resonates with you. He is very THERE standing with you. 

Blessings! 🌼 👍 🌼 You've got this!!

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@tgraf66

Congratulations Tgraf!  You have taken an important first step forward toward better mental and physical health by acknowledging you are facing some challenges right now.  That is a difficult thing to do and you deserve a lot of credit for recognizing this bump in your life path.   I believe your understandable concerns about a future job will resolve themselves once you are able to heal some of the more personal things you have mentioned to us.

Absolutely you have my support and prayers for a positive outcome for the highest and greatest good.

May I  offer some thoughts and suggestions which came to me while focusing on your message.  They may ultimately help you begin to heal and be in a better space to find the type of job you truly want.  But you will need to be willing to continue to take some steps out of your current comfort zone to do so. Why?  Because you’ll first need to make progress in healing YOURSELF.   It is the law of attraction and the energy you hold in yourself and put out to the world comes back to you.  It affects both you and your future career,                   

Some good news, there are ways to start your healing  process which will not financially impact you at all.  Yay!  Most of these suggestions are things you already know, consider them simply reminders.  

1. Go OUTSIDE and MOVE your body. When engaging  in  exercise, your body and brain produce hormones and neurotransmitters that have a positive impact on your mood, memory, energy levels, and sense of well-being.  In fact, for people with mild or moderate depression, 30 minutes of daily exercise may be effective for improving mood. You can start by taking walks around your neighborhood and build up from there.  Outside?  Why outside?  Well, if you’ve been confined mostly to your home for the last few months, you have been missing out on sunshine which produces vitamin D, a vitamin known to impact your mood positively as well as strengthen your immune system.  

1. Start making time to ground yourself. Walk barefoot in the grass. Garden. Sit on a boulder while you ponder the stream or clouds in the sky.  Feel the soil under your feet.  Eat root vegetables (yes, seriously eat them). Walk amongst the tress. The energy from the earth is balancing  and healing as it gets you back in touch with your body.  We also need to keep that connection with Mother Earth, she is a part of us and we her. It is time to reconnect with her.

1. Start a new practice of finding joy in life. Sound overwhelming?  Start small.  Notice the cheerful bird singing a happy song.  Allow yourself to smile watching a puppy chase a butterfly or a cat sunbathe on a windowsill.  Breathe in deeply the clean scent of a refreshing rainstorm or take in the magnificence of a colorful sunset. You can find joy in so many things, even taking that first bite of a warm freshly baked cinnamon muffin. Yum!!

1. Make a conscious effort to discover things you’re grateful for.  Perhaps you can start with the things that bring you “joy” like that little puppy or that warm muffin from above.  Or maybe you heard one of your favorite songs playing while driving to the store.  Have a clean shirt to wear?  I know I am grateful for having a washing machine.  I will never forget the six months I did laundry by hand, wringing winter clothes out by hand. I am SOOOO grateful for the invention of the washing machine!!!  As a desert dweller, the  air-conditioner is my number one favorite appliance.   I regularly “thank” it for being invented.  The more I discover new things I’m grateful for, the more joyful I become.  The more joyful I become, the more grateful I find myself.  It is a circle of positivity that starts flowing around and through me and back out into the world.  It shifts perception and the world becomes a friendlier place. I am also a happier person to be around.  During periods of time when I stop thanking the bee for making honey or the water for quenching my thirst, the world begins to get heavier.

Once your energy begins to transform and YOU begin to transform, the world around you will transform.  You attract what you put out into the world.  The things I suggested doing are all small things on their own. But together they make a big impact. That fulfilling job which not only pays your bills and health insurance but also makes you a HAPPY and a productive person will have an easier time finding you because you will be energetically simpatico.

You already know this though.  Sometimes we just need a reminder. 

You’re ready for this next step Tgraf or you wouldn’t have been so open with us and more importantly with yourself. 

Coming full circle, I’d like to thank you for writing your post.  It reminded me to lighten my own life energetically and allow joy and gratitude to flow more freely.  We all need that tap on the shoulder sometimes. Funny, I just realized writing this message back to you has actually lifted my own mood. See, it’s a cyclical thing. 

Saga, Barbara, CC21 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: