Notifications
Clear all

Preparing for a Modern Natural Disaster

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

There are some serious fires taking place near an area of Colorado I visit each summer.  The local paper published a current guideline checklist from The Red Cross on what to assemble for general emergency preparedness kits, especially during our Pandemic. 

Looking over the various list I found I have some additional planning to consider.

Would you add anything to the list?  

Having been through the Northridge earthquake, I would add additional water.  I found there were many neighbors  NOT prepared and in need fresh water.  This then impacted what we had.

Also, store some things in your trunk.  Again, in an earthquake ( r similar massive disaster) , if you are in your car or at work and will need to WALK home due to blocked roads, you will need sturdy closed toes shoes, not flip flops.  Also access  water and a bit of food.  If you are stuck in a snowstorm, are you prepared for that circumstance?

I don't know who this post is supposed to help, but I feel someone here  needs to be reading this and prepare.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/tips-from-american-red-cross-for-assembling-emergency-preparedness-kits/

kksali, ghandigirl, Avon and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rohenna)
Trusted Member Registered

@Lovendures I read your post a week ago, and liked it, and thought nothing more of it. Then tonight I was drawn to read it again, really read it, and I clicked the link you included.

I'm in Victoria, Australia, currently in Stage 4 lockdown - we cannot go within 5 miles of our home, must wear a mask, and everything that is not crucial is closed.

I don't know why, but I have been getting the urge to prepare for some kind of emergency lately - the whole bug out bag etc. The urge is growing, and though I have no idea what it might be for, I've been learning (albeit slowly at times!) not to ignore these feelings; they are rarely wrong. They sent me to the shops to stock up a fortnight before the panic buying began, just for an example.

I also do automatic writing conversations with Spirit, and a few weeks ago I asked for clear signs for when I am supposed to follow my intuition. The sign I asked for was a red cross, so that it would be unmistakable.

So when your link popped up, I clicked it, and there was the literal Red Cross I'd asked for. I don't know what I am preparing for, but I'll be starting to collate that bug out bag tomorrow. Stay tuned and thanks for posting!

CC21, LalaBella, PracticalNihilist and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@rohenna

I am so glad you posted Rohenna!  It validates the nudge I felt to post the information.  Perhaps it was indeed you for whom I was posting this information .  I am glad you made the connection.  It never hurts to be prepared and so much of our attention has been on the pandemic ( and in the US, elections) that I am not sure how prepared we are currently for a natural disaster.  I hope you stay safe where you are in Victoria, I understand it has been a rough time over in that neck of the woods right now. May you and your family and friends stay safe.  

I can say that since this posting I made a week ago, I have been having strong feelings of a natural disaster happening in the near future.  I don't know if it is a disaster which will happen in my area or one that will happen elsewhere.  I do believe something is going to happen somewhere soon.

California is currently dealing with horrible wildfires where people have had to flee their homes. 

One of the wildfires in Colorado is not expected to be out until October and the major highway I 70 is still closed down, it has been for more than a week.  This closure is  disrupting commerce into the state from the west towards Denver and back.  

I wish you well.

Rohenna, CC21, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@lovendures. I'm glad you listen to those nudges from Spirit.  These many months later, I still marvel that you created the Covid19 thread all the way back in January.   Because of those posts, I started watching Dr. John Campbell of the UK on his daily Youtube podcasts.  He educated 100's of thousands of people all over the globe about the coming pandemic.  Because you had the foresight to create that thread, all of the readers on this site had a chance to prepare and become educated about the virus spreading throughout the world.  

So, a natural disaster, eh?  We had better be prepared.

Rohenna, CC21, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures

i thought the thread was great as our old one wasn't as appropriate for these times as it was when a major epidemic wasn't ever on our radar.

But as I've written over my 3.5 years here I was and still am prepared for the Cascadia Fault Earthquake(s). Not so much if all the land collapses so the resulting Tsunami comes in. We live just over the line of its range on maps. We have '70s canoes but neither of us can or should physically tow a boat any more ??? And no room for much food or clothes. I could carry my cats but not a bunch of chickens and none of us can swim any more. Good thing I super trust @Bluebelle!  (Email me if you have new visions ??

Bluebelle is a phenomenal prognosticator of future events and says she and I are safe. Shes on an island most of the time but I'm only on one when "home" in Alaska and vacations are only every 4 years. Covid better be over by summer 2022 as I'll be needing that vacation big time ?

Unk p, CC21, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@michele-b

I hope you get that vacation in 2 years. I would imagine that even 2 years from now, there will not be the demand for cruise ships and Alaska will have less tourists.  Most seem to journey up there that way.  I would love to drive and ferry up there one day.  I have no plans to travel on a cruise ship any time soon/ long time soon.   I also hope you can have lots of hugs and create beautiful new memories with your grandkids soon in Oregon.

Unk p, Michele, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

You are so sweet @Bluebell.   I am grateful those posts inspired you to prepare for the pandemic.  Your words are a reminder to pay attention to my intuition.  It is a learning process, understanding your intuition.  

I am gong to remind my parents who live in  CA to make sure their emergency kits are in order and that they have something in their car.  They are in CO right now and the wildfires are really bad there. They will not be able to leave to go home the route they normally would since the highway has been closed for over a week now.  

Where I live, logic says  I need to be prepared for a loss of power from a thunderstorm or a brown out from high energy demand.  Or tree damage.  

I think anyone who might be at risk of earthquakes, floods or hurricanes should really pay attention.  I don't think that the items you normally buy to prepare will be in short supply due to the pandemic so I would gather them up now if at all possible.  

Note to self, make sure there is an additional way to charge the phone without power.

By

deetoo, Unk p, CC21 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@lovendures

Although cruise ships are what most people think of to see the beauty along the way then hit ports where tourism is a big source of income--for the cruise ships. We all have a very different view of things.

In Juneau they bought out all little shops, purchased their tourist merchandise and took over our our tour bus lines. Residents dislike that as all it provides in revenue is for kids getting summer jobs.

We had 11 gigantic ships in one summer I was there. One was 11 stories high. Really causes issues with waste dumping in our waters and they bought out our one and only garbage dump. One time the newspaper reported that over 200 chairs off ships had just been dumped. 

We are land locked by water and mountains so only way to get rid of garbage is to barge it out. Needless to say tourism is not well thought of when it comes to our environment.

Our vacations are staying at my families houses and helping with huge meal preparations and cleanup for 20 to 30 family members who get together all the time. Great fun for us.

Everyone has boats and so we go out on the water a lot--kayaking, fishing,  crabbing, whale watching and just mostly having picnics on different little locations hours away by boat. Lots and lots of hikes up mountains and along the island trails.

So great fun but with lots of work.  Haha. 5 star views but varying accomodations. I've slept on couches and in 2013 on the floor for 2 weeks. But seeing all my brothers, nieces and nephews and cousins is the best. 

I take walks at 3 a.m. (when I get up) down to the beach and boat harbor. My memories of growing up and of all the dozens and dozens and dozens of people I loved and lost through the decades is so dear to my heart.  My energy gifts soar in Alaska. Its like being plugged into an electric socket and soaring through the stars at night.

Thank you for your loving wishes. I sure hope I will be able to as well. 

???

Rohenna, CC21, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@michele-b

I would expect your vacation back "home"  would be like that Michele.  It must be wonderful to have those experiences.  I  am not a fan of cruise ships anymore, though that is how I saw Alaska nearly 20 years ago.  I told my family the next time I go, I want to drive and really see the land and spend time  near the sea to bond with Mother Nature. I would love to see Northern Lights too, stay up all night and watch them with a cup of tea in one had.  I want to pick wild berries again too.

Your Alaska is my dream Alaska Michele. 

Except you should pull the "senior" card and get off the floor.

ha ha

CC21, deetoo, FEBbby23 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@anita)
Noble Member Registered

@lovendures

I went to CSUN and moved to Portland a year later. I feared a huge earthquake. My neighborhood in Sherman Oaks also had a lot of damage. I would suggest that people have Buckets of dehydrated Meals besides water, a source of heating, even if a natural, not gas or electric fireplace. Also a generator for back up electricity, a battery or crank radio,

emergency dog/cat food, and not go below half a tank of gas. And don’t forget a first aid kit. We have important papers in a fireproof metal box.

Anita

CC21, Lovendures, Michele and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rohenna)
Trusted Member Registered

Posted by: @lovendures

@rohenna

I am so glad you posted Rohenna!  It validates the nudge I felt to post the information.  Perhaps it was indeed you for whom I was posting this information .  I am glad you made the connection.  It never hurts to be prepared and so much of our attention has been on the pandemic ( and in the US, elections) that I am not sure how prepared we are currently for a natural disaster.  I hope you stay safe where you are in Victoria, I understand it has been a rough time over in that neck of the woods right now. May you and your family and friends stay safe.  

I can say that since this posting I made a week ago, I have been having strong feelings of a natural disaster happening in the near future.  I don't know if it is a disaster which will happen in my area or one that will happen elsewhere.  I do believe something is going to happen somewhere soon.

California is currently dealing with horrible wildfires where people have had to flee their homes. 

One of the wildfires in Colorado is not expected to be out until October and the major highway I 70 is still closed down, it has been for more than a week.  This closure is  disrupting commerce into the state from the west towards Denver and back.  

I wish you well.

@lovendures relatively speaking, we are doing alright over here during lockdown - in comparison to some other harder-hit parts of the world, we are quite fortunate. I can't fathom how much anxiety must be around with the pandemic figures so high, particularly in the US. Our new case numbers are dropping and boredom is our biggest issue, so we really can't complain too much. I hope you and everyone else on the forum stays safe too.

Like you, though, this sense of something bigger that is still to come has never quite left me. After we had our terrible bushfire season in December-January this year, my sister said something to the effect of "well that's the hard part of 2020 out of the way". The words were out of my mouth before I even realised: "No, the easy part is over. Things are going to get harder now". She started to get anxious so I took it back, but I knew I was just glossing it over for her. 

My deepest sympathy for all of you affected by the wildfires in the US. They sound like they are of unprecedented (2020 word of the year) intensity, and the last thing anyone needs at the best of times. It would only add to the sense of grief and disruption that is already pervasive. 

Nature really is raising her head, now, demanding that we listen.

The feeling of disaster for me is that it may not be here, where I am, but it will have an impact on things like food supply, the economy...that kind of thing. I've been trying to convince my Dad to put in a vegetable garden again for the whole year, as I am in a rental - and also get the feeling that I won't be living here next year, but don't yet know why. I feel as though I will need to move back in with my parents so we can all help each other. It all feels connected to this ominous feeling.

I do want to ask, how many of you have felt that "something" (some kind of great upheaval/battle/event - it was never tangible enough to define) was coming for many years now? How many of you feel that it has begun, finally?

I've had this sense of waiting for a couple of decades now, and have spoken with friends who feel the same. And now, at the risk of being a prophet of doom, I feel like "it", whatever it is, began at the end of last year. 

I hope very much it is just the result of my very active imagination! I sincerely hope that in two years time we are back to taking so much for granted, and I can just filter all of this into a dystopian novel and laugh about it.

Stay safe, all of you.

Lovendures, Coyote, Share and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Moving this thread up again.  Please look at thee first post that has a link for preparing for an emergency/disaster.

Many of you are in areas dealing with fires, but natural disasters can happen at anytime.  

The feeling of needing to prepare hasn't really gone away and it has been a few weeks since I posted.  It was strong again right before the Oregon fires last week and hasn't left . So again I say, I don't know who this is for, but prepare if you haven't already.  Hopefully you already have done so.

Jeanne Mayell, tgraf66, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

My mom and I put together a lot of the stuff for an emergency evac just in case, and we did pretty well without having a good list.  Some of the recommendations on this list mean that we should re-visit out stash and add a few more things though, so thank you. :-)

ReplyQuote
Share: