Notifications
Clear all

Visions of the Deep Future

(@craig)
Trusted Member Registered

I came across this article the other day about an author who in 1922 made accurate predictions for 2022 and I thought people might find it interesting:

https://www.openculture.com/2022/02/in-1922-a-novelist-predicts-what-the-world-will-look-like-in-2022.html

lenor, 2ndfdl, CC21 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminata)
Noble Member Registered

Well, I am late to this post, but WOW!! 

Jeanne made a comment last night in class about fiction writers hitting the future more accurately than many and it hit me hard, possibly because I live in the Land of fiction. Fiction writers are some of our best "reality translators". They tap in and put it all down, and often get things that ring for all the ages. 

I started putting a list here, but there is too much. All the hard classics/myths/religious/philosophical writings include an element of fiction. And I believe they all include a personal telling as the author lived, digested, and then told, imbuing the tail with their own understanding, the lesson they learned, the wisdom they would have the reader take with them and propogate - through the reader's own lense. 

So fictional writing (as seen through my lense, if you will) is an amplifier. Good fictional writing captures core human truths as lived and felt by the author. The reader is feeling along with the writer and is allowed to learn not only the lessons the writer learned, but also to take those lessons and apply them directly to their own life.(spirals)

So back to consciousness here, fiction is a core part of human consciousness. We tie truth to imagination in order to change the world we live in. It has always been. Think on this: Inspector Gadget had a watch comparable to the Apple watch of today. And before all that, Sherlock Holmes had his own "gadgets"  that allowed him to solve mysteries. (And back, and back...) Did we develop the gadgets that fiction writers wrote about because we thought those gadgets were cool, or did the author see the future and whisper it to us? Which came first - the chicken or the egg?(spirals)

Non-fiction has instructions. It doesn't allow for modifications. It is authoritarian in its presentation and doesn't allow for feeling, lessons learned, questions, or inspiration. It is a building block of consciousness, but just a jumping off place(spirals). And so many of us have questions about the instructions!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention great fiction that directed me. This list is not nearly inclusive enough (because lists are boring, and I read fiction nearly at the same rate as I breathe); and is somewhat chronological.

Little House on the Prairie series

Pipi Long Stocking series

The Wizard of Oz series

Where the Red Fern Grows

Bridge to Terabithia

The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit

The Dead Zone

The Stand

A Farewell to Arms

The Sun Also Rises

North and South series

The Great Gatsby

The Catcher in the Rye

Frannie and Zoey 

The Lottery

The Haunting of Hill House

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Cider House Rules

The Collector

The Magus

Beloved

The Song of Solomon

The Bluest Eye

Their Eyes Were Watching God

We Were the Mulvaneys

The Dark Tower series

A Handmaid's Tale

Surfacing

The Murmur of Bees (this was gifted to me by my guides very shortly before Covid came on the scene. I can't recommend it enough.)

And you know reading (psychically) isn't really that far from reading a fictional novel. There is a reason both are called a reading. 

Maggieci, Luminous, lenor and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@luminata @Craig Craig, I loved that article.  I wish I had time to research it to make sure it is real. He seemed so prescient that I wondered if it was faked. Perhaps finding another source would help.  @luminata I love your list.

I want to add Philip Pullman's Golden Compass trilogy,

the books, not the movie, have guided me. And I met him too before I realized how important his books would be to me.  IT was a book signing and when it was my turn to get my book signed, our eyes met in an intensity that I will never forget. dee-doo, dee-doo!

Also Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad. That book, and all of his books, have guided me in my life.

Conrad grew up Polish and didn't speak English until he was an adult but he is one of the most important writers in English literature. I like that little tidbit about him too. 

Maggieci, Luminous, raincloud and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: