Notifications
Clear all

UK political future

(@14mamajo)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

hey everyone, as I am from the UK and now the Pandemic is slowly (hopefully) going away, I am wondering where the political future lies... 

How long will Boris last? Will Labour take over? Will a new party form that will challenge the Cons/Lab dominance?

Moonbeam, Luminous, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)
Illustrious Member Registered

I wonder too, but sometimes I also don't want to know because of the current trajectory we are taking. I live in hope though. But even if it seems it won't ever change, making the effort to educate others and help them understand the importance of voting and campaigning and supporting the causes you believe in are powerful actions in helping to create that change as well.

My belief is things are changing. The  poltical narrative and landscape is changing, albeit slowly, but it is changing. Sometimes the way things change are not always what you expect. The conservatives may remain in power but may be forced to change, in order to deal with the New political landscape. Eventually running away and ignoring certain issues will only work for so long, and they can no longer shift the blame onto other parties when they have not been in power for a decade. But also keep an eye on Scotland.

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, Moonbeam and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

Scotland, I have SUCH high hopes for Scotland! ? 

BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell, Luminous and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

I'm going to post here so people who are from the UK or want to follow the UK stuff, can read what's happening, as I am not aware of any further discussion in the community about the UK's situation at all.

A lot of stuff has been happening and it's been pretty grim, especially concerning how collectively we are transitioning around the world.

I don't know if anyone knows the history of politics in the UK, or what the past decade even represents. 

A false narrative has been constructed which says Labour (the opposition) caused the global financial crisis and bankrupted the country when in power previously, and therefore cannot be trusted ever again to run the country, and this has been spun by the media over and over.

So for the past decade starting in 2010 when the Conservatives took over, we have had trumpism politics (populism, and right-wing nationalism), and this continued to further peak with Brexit in 2016 and has continued even further throughout 2021.

We have no way to change this as of right now. Too many people are voting for the conservatives and not even by a little bit. 

Everything that has been worse, started getting increasingly worse from 2010 when the Conservatives got back into power, and the UK has become increasingly more divided, with more people who are selfish, greedy, and immoral. I have never witnessed such bitterness and darkness in people until the Conservatives took over in 2010. Their policies coupled with the media spin and propaganda, have made many people I know turn into very cruel and hateful people. They have been brainwashed by the lies, and will overlook and turn a blind eye to the constant ongoing sleaze, cronyism and corruption by our conservative government.  Nobody seems to care, and those of us that do care, are isolated and alone, and are unable to challenge a system that has now been rigged in favour of the Conservatives.

Right now, I would say we are in peak cronyism, corruption, and sleaze, all magnified since they won again in 2019 with a huge majority and have been in-charge of managing the pandemic in the UK. There are revelations being unearthed by the ex Chief advisor to Prime Minister Johnson, Dominic Cummings, about the way the Conservatives have badly handled the pandemic and caused many unnecessary deaths. But as with all the other sleaze and corruption we have seen, I would not be surprised if it is just swept under the rug and forgotten.

Here is a summary of recent revelations:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57254915

If anyone has any positive prediction for the future of the UK, I am all ears.

Dina, 2ndfdl, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

You know what? Don't reply to my post above about this. I am incredibly angry about so many things right now, it probably isn't the best time. 

I think I am going to take a break from the forum for a while.

Apologies.

2ndfdl, deetoo, lynn and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@luminous. It's okay and right to be angry and no need to apologize.  The UK is in for major change for the better. So many are upset. My husband and I were talking about it yesterday  -- Scotland, Wales, Greater London and many others are sick of the conservatives and their lies and deceptions. 

Dina, Luminous, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

@luminous. It's okay and right to be angry and no need to apologize.  The UK is in for major change for the better. So many are upset. My husband and I were talking about it yesterday  -- Scotland, Wales, Greater London and many others are sick of the conservatives and their lies and deceptions. 

Thanks Jeanne!

I needed to cool off for a few days. The stuff that was being revived in the news regarding all the corruption had reignited my anger and frustration at the Conservatives.

I had asked my angel answers Oracle cards about whether there will be a Labour government in the near future and the Yes card jumped out. I certainly think it's possible for that to happen, but when I look at how well the Conservatives have so many people brainwashed over the years, I really then question if that is true. But it's hard for me to get a clear reading on the outcome because I am too emotionally attached. I think the angels are telling me to let go on this one. But it's a difficult one.

I would also take a progressive coalition of all the progressive parties in government too. Anything other than the Conservatives and right-wing nationalism. It really feels like it's borderline fascism at times.

Dina, Jeanne Mayell, Dina and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

This is why younger people in the UK need to vote:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/general-election-maps-shows-massive-17492900

The difference between the young and old is huge.

Unfortunately in the UK, especially in England, many young people are unmotivated to vote because they feel their vote does not count. So the older generation 65 and older continue to vote conservative - wanting to keep everything the same - no changes. They are also are the age group that are more inclined to believe the the predominantly right wing tabloids in the UK and fake news sources on facebook. 

But not all over 60s are like this. There are a few, and yes these are unfortunately a minority in England, who are very progressive and liberal - my dad is one of those people. But I would say, a large part of that came from them having more awareness of the issues happening in the country. These people are better at discerning fact from fiction but sadly this is a big problem in the majority of over 65s and they are also more inclined to believe the lies the Conservatives say because they take what they say as the gospel truth. 

It's a huge divisive issue and it's one that played its part in Brexit as well. 

I hope more young people are motivated to vote in the future, and I hope those who did not vote in 2019 will be more motivated to in the 2024 election.

ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

I thought things might get better in the UK politics wise, but it seems it is taking a turn for the worse. 

A real low point in the UK recently, we have just had a new news channel added to our free-to-air news channels called "GB News" which has  been created with the intention of peddling right-wing garbage much like Fox News - in fact many are saying it is the perfect UK emulation of Fox News.

Here in the UK our media already is heavily biased to the right on the political spectrum, with many of the tabloids outnumbering those that are more centrist or left leaning. This is also sadly why in the past decade the progressive political centre has not been able to get its voice heard and win an election, and why we have had a large growth in populism, nationalism, and dare I say it, fascism.

There is no accountability for the lying, corrupt, and deceitful actions of our politicians, and now with the addition of this new Fox News style news channel, this is going to get even worse.

I am so frustrated living in the UK right now. So many people support this really bitter and divisive type of politics. Anyone that challenges it and disagrees is called a lefty/snowflake/Marxist/woke/traitor and they get attacked like they are a major threat to their life, and say things like "communists want to destroy western society", "the woke brigade want to cancel our culture", and yet these people have won everything - they have had the conservatives in power for decade, they got Brexit, and the media leans favourably right to their views. Yet they still play victim.

Right now, I feel like I am living under a fascist state almost. I know that sounds extreme, but it feels like it's everywhere and this has become normalised. 

It is so isolating to feel like more people than don't actually support this, and I get made to increasingly feel like I am wrong to oppose this and I am wrong to not want to join in attacking progressive values. 

Even in some spiritual circles of people I used to follow and speak to in the UK have become pro Boris Johnson and pro right-wing. It's also now spread over into other areas of my life too, such as on computer tech forums I frequently visit. I can't look at social media either without seeing it everywhere. I have so many times wanted to say something and give my opinion but I have not and have held back. I want to speak my mind but I know these people will never agree with me and so it feels like a waste of energy. 

The UK feels so lost and hopeless. I can't see anything good until we experience some form of misery and learn to course correct, otherwise this will continue for a long time.

Tiger-n-Owl, Lovendures, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@luminous 

I can't even imagine all that has transpired for your country in just a few short years. Many in our forum live in US red states and can share  some of your pain.  I think it would be a good idea to shed a lot of light on the UK during our weekly Circle of Light Meditations. 

I am sending you a big hug and hope.  If the US can ditch Trump, we all can have hope for the UK too.

Dina, lenor, Tiger-n-Owl and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

@lovendures

Thank you for your kind words.

I would love if you could send light to the UK - we really need it right now.

I see so many parallels to the rise of fascism in the 1930s in the UK that it is deeply concerning.

The way so many people are normalising fascist behaviour and thinking it is is acceptable is just something I am struggling to deal with. It goes against everything I believe in, and it increasingly feels like I am surrounded by more people who condone this than not.

I wish I could say that this fascism has calmed down, but seems to have grown worse.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I feel as though I could rant about this and it won't help, so I am going to try and put my mind on something else as difficult as that is right now. 

Dina, lenor, Tiger-n-Owl and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

To further demonstrate the growing danger of the far-right movement in the UK, and how this new Fox News style news channel called "GB News" is a bad influence, I want to show you an example of the bile it has already been propagating and the consequences of this - in this case, on a BBC journalist who was innocently reporting about new lockdown measures - and who was attacked by far-right anti-lockdown protestors:

This is another example of the growing far-right movement from a year ago where they clashed with anti-racism protestors:

This video is one of the much tamer videos of one of the smaller protests from last year. There have been many more with more violence involved but I prefer not to show those. 

All of this hasn't just been since COVID-19 started in 2020, it has been growing since Brexit in 2016. But it has been in the making for the past decade. As a result, there are lots of very bitter and angry narcissistic people in the UK right now. They got Brexit, they got their far-right Boris government, but they are more angry than ever. 

Jeanne Mayell, Dina, Enkasongwriter and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-57472032

The Liberal Democrats have pulled off a stunning by-election victory, overturning a 16,000 majority in a seat that has always voted Conservative.

Wow, I was not expecting that. A very a shocking result. I am so pleased they pulled it off. Could this be the beginning of the change for the 2024 election?

In the UK, the Liberal Democrats are the closest thing we have to the Democrats in the US. Generally they are considered the third biggest party in England to Labour and the Conservatives. In recent years they have suffered quite a bit, but hopefully they are on the rise again. They were also the first party I ever voted for when I was younger. They represent the Centrist liberal vote. Labour can sometimes occupy that poltical space as well, but in recent years they have been losing that due to divisions in their party and this has helped the Conservatives to win.

Jeanne Mayell, DannyBoy, Dina and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell 

On a more positive note:  The UK may be moving toward an astonishing ethical step forward:  PM Boris Johnson is apparently trying to make good on his electoral pledge to enshrine into law the idea that animals are "sentient beings" and their feelings must be taken into account.  The Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill is a potentially sweeping piece of legislation which would require all arms of the government to consider animal sentience when forming policy and writing regulations.  The House of Lords is currently debating the matter...

If this legislation passes, does this not represent a clear step forward in mankind's  evolution?  

U.K. Parliament debates whether to enshrine in law the idea of animals as sentient beings animal welfare - The Washington Post

Vesta, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @isabelle

The UK may be moving toward an astonishing ethical step forward:  PM Boris Johnson is apparently trying to make good on his electoral pledge to enshrine into law the idea that animals are "sentient beings" and their feelings must be taken into account. 

Thank you for posting. That is a beautiful direction! 

Vesta and Vesta reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

As far I'm concerned, this is nothing more than Johnson appealing to animal lovers and environmental activists in the UK to make up for his other shortcomings as PM. Let’s see what the detail of the legislation reveals when it can be examined more closely. As you know, Johnson has a long history of making empty policies and false promises.

As for my previous ramblings about U.K. politics, I have felt for a while a building up of tension in the U.K.  Lots of stuff falls under the radar about the U.K. here,  but I could feel something in the waters for a while, and this whole explosion of racism and other issues coming out is just that.

I didn't share this before because I wasn’t a member of the forum back then, but I knew a year ago lots of people would die in the U.K. from bad decisions regarding covid back in March 2020. I told my family to prepare and keep safe and we did. All the lights went crazy in my house when I told my family. Obviously this may sound like hearsay to you all now, but I trust my feelings and intuition about what’s happening in the U.K., and right now we are going through some difficult growing pains (as indeed are many parts of the world) and this stuff happening is all necessary to create change, as difficult as it is to witness. Here in the UK we also have the worst cases in the world of Delta variant by country or territory:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1245971/number-delta-variant-worldwide-by-country/

We have rising cases of infections and hospitalisations, many people are still not vaccinated. Our government in the UK has also decided not to vaccinate children unlike other countries. Many health workers are over worked and exhausted and are concerned about a third wave, yet on July 19th despite all of this, all restrictions are going to be dropped and many vulvernable people with compromised immune systems left completely vulnerable. We also have a high risk possibility of having a 13 million plus waiting list for healthcare treatments including standard surgeries and cancer treatments. That may not sound very big compared to the population living in the US,  but with a population of 66m in the UK with a shortage of nursing staff and hospital beds per 1000 people, it is a very big deal, and one of the reasons why so many have unfortunately died during previous waves.

As for the culture war and racial tensions, the main problem in the UK is that we have an extremely right-wing government and media who are complicit in creating the racial tensions we are experiencing right now.

Here are some examples:

Don't be fooled by the charm and whit of our politicians from the UK, as beneath all that there is some truly vile and evil behaviour that will make you sick to your stomach.

ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

Some of that was hard to share without me getting emotionally charged, but if I don't say it as it really is, then I'm not being true to myself and the situation at hand.

The UK (England mainly) is not a nice place right now. We are not what we once were. People are divided, angry, bitter, and hurt. We have fascists running the country who wish to create division and culture wars. The good people are screaming for change, but their voices are being silenced. These people have so much to offer, but cannot be heard. A time will come when their voices will be loudest and the movement and change will be great, but for now.. please pray for us.

Maggieci, Jeanne Mayell, Enkasongwriter and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@luminous   Hugs and Love to you. Yes.. it is happening around the world...especially in the UK and the US. Sadly.... my view of politicians was shaped at a tender age. I worked for a major hotel chain in the mid 70's for about 10 years. Started out as a front desk clerk. My states legislature kept a reserve of rooms for members there the times the legislatures were in session. The level of debauchery - white men behaving badly regardless of age...blown up with their own self importance, getting drunk, f'ng anyone they could, sometimes in stairwells or rooms with curtains left open ..generally locker room behaviors.... like a bunch of hormone driven teen-age boys out of control... I learned then.... politicians choose that career for what it does for them..and for growth of their finances and power. Very few are that altruistic and are in it for the betterment of our society and people. Jimmy Carter has and always will be ...one of my true heroes. Joe Biden is also one of them.

Luminous and Luminous reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

@journeywithme2 thank you for your kind words and @ana too from the other thread yesterday.

I wish things were calming down, but they seem to be getting only more chaotic. Just when I think I can shut out what's happening here, something occurs that affects me personally in some way. I don't have the energy to engage in the ground up movement to fight this, mainly because of health reasons, but that doesn't stop me feeling the way I do. I'm not even sure it is my fight to have right now, but I love my country and I hate to see people destroying it for self gain and interests, so it is impossible to not feel something.

It's hard everywhere in the world right now. But one of the hardest things is watching people  hurt other people either with violence, oppression, legislation etc getting away with it. When are these people due their karma for what they have done? The next life? It seems unfair to me. They are living in paradise while creating hell on Earth for everyone else.

Some people say we are in the cycle of Kali Yuga still and sometimes I can definitely believe it! Others say we are transitioning to Dwarapara Yuga from Kali Yuga and this transition tends to create a lot upheavals - see Graham Hancock's work where he discusses this. 

BlueBelle, Enkasongwriter, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Posted by: @luminous

But one of the hardest things is watching people  hurt other people either with violence, oppression, legislation etc getting away with it. When are these people due their karma for what they have done? The next life? It seems unfair to me. They are living in paradise while creating hell on Earth for everyone else.

Well, I can tell you what I believe.  First of all, I don't believe all the hurtful people are "living in paradise".  They might have yachts and fancy homes and influence over others, but is that paradise?  I believe their desire for power and money stems from a deep emptiness inside. They are decidedly not in paradise-- if they were content and at peace, they would have no obsessive drive to go after money and power in such ruthless ways. 

Second, I think karma will out.  Once in a great while you get "Instant Karma" but most often it percolates and seeps in and grows throughout a lifetime and most likely beyond this life.  

They will eventually reap what they sow.   We may never get to see it, but that's OK.   In fact it's probably better that way.  Schadenfreude is a temptation it is best to resist. 

Enkasongwriter, Coyote, Luminous and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: