Notifications
Clear all

Vaccine Hesitancy? Let's talk about it here.

(@ghandigirl)
Illustrious Member Registered

Got my booster today...feeling good too.

Found out a friend of mine feels he does not need too get vaccinated. His antibodies, his excellent health etc. 

I am tired of strongly suggesting people get vaxxed and them saying it is my choice to do so and theirs not to.

lynn, Jeanne Mayell, Baba and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pegesus)
Noble Member Registered

@ghandigirl I got mine two days ago. I'll still wear a mask in public places but it sure feels like an extra layer of protection!

lynn, Jeanne Mayell, Maggieci and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@ghandigirl, I received my booster this past Monday.  Minimal reaction to it -- fatigue and a sore arm.  @pegesus, I am also grateful to have that extra layer of protection and wear a mask in public places.  I have never regretted getting the vaccine or wearing a mask.

lynn, Jeanne Mayell, Snowbird and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@ghandigirl 

I received my 3rd this past Wednesday.  I was a little surprised how sore and tired was for 2 days, but I am back to normal now.  I feel much more protected and will be taking a plane flight on Tuesday with more confidence.  

I also still wear my mask, it is a sign of respect to others.  Only when my county starts having a sizable decrease of infections will I wear it less often.

lynn, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@ghandigirl I got mine Friday night.  I feel a few aches and just slightly warm.  All in all I’m grateful.  I wear a mask in work and stores.  Actually anywhere there’s a lot of people and not distanced.   Not everyone wears a mask where I live and there’s been breakthrough cases.  I’d rather avoid that.  

lynn, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

Curious about everyone's thoughts on the 5-11 crowd.

I have scheduled my two children (ages 8 and 9) for next week, but I'm feeling conflicted upon reading about the increased rates of vaccine-related myocarditis (which, I know, can be caused by other things, including covid itself).

It's so easy when deciding for oneself; much more different when deciding for a young child!

Anyway, as of now the appointments are on -- just curious what the rest of you are feeling/thinking/ intuiting.

CC21, FEBbby23, lynn and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

@sistermoon 

I am all in on vaccinating children. It is a small risk to take. Long haul covid is so dangerous, and if my child was that young I would do it in a heartbeat.

I am working a few days a week afterschool with kids and many don't wear the masks properly. I don't blame them, but I got my booster to protect myself mainly, with the other benfit of also protecting them.

Vaccinations will go a long way towards protecting, children, teachers, and families in my own opinion (and intutitive opinion.)

I also wear my mask and still double mask in public. I made a decision last year that even if I am the last person in America to do so, I am not catching Covid. I refuse. I am still washing my hands and social distancing. Often I am the only masked up person  in public and I don't care. I will keep masking up long after others have stopped. It is like my Linus security blanket. 

FEBbby23, Iridium, lynn and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@sistermoon This is the most studied vaccine in history.  The results have been incredibly positive, and the risk of harm to a person, even a child, of not being vaccinated, versus being vaccinated is incomparable. There is so much wrong information out there about the risks of the vaccine. So much exaggeration of the incidents of serious vaccine side effects. 

An acquaintance sent me some anti-vax propaganda that, on the surface, seemed convincing, but when I researched it, turned out to be so irresponsible, so full of holes and lies, it boggled my mind. I liked the sender, and what she sent me sounded real and very clever, so I sent it to two of the smartest public health experts I know who I trust and know well.

One is one of the top data analysts at Harvard School of Public Health, and a professor there. She is a total geek who just loves going through data. She is not wedded to anything except using data to find the truth.  She started her reply by saying that I'd asked her about the subject she knows more about than anything else at this point. I also sent it to another close friend I know and trust who until 2020 had been an information officer at Harvard Medical School for twenty years.  In addition to being highly intelligent and conversant about medical research, she is holistic, loves the tarot and spiritual visions, wrote a best selling book on happiness, is a political progressive and runs a poetry group.  Both of these women got back to me separately by the next day, and both hit me with voluminous data from a wide range of sources about the efficacy and safety of the vaccine.  

As one of them wrote to me,  it is the most studied vaccine in medical history.  And considering the protection it gives us and the low risk to recipients, they described it is a medical miracle. 

CC21, FEBbby23, Iridium and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell @ghandigirl

Thank you both for your input - I do feel a lot better. For me it's a case of reading too dang much - I'm having information overload at this point, and, as you said Jeanne, some of it sounds good on the surface but is ultimately irresponsible. 

My daughter, who is in the second grade, wears a mask daily. In her class of about 25 kids, there are only two other children who do so. They had a Halloween party on Friday and some photos were posted to the private FB page. My girl was the only one wearing her mask. While I was so proud of her, my heart broke for her too, because she is so shy and introverted already and I can just imagine how much more isolated she feels being the only one wearing a mask at the Halloween party. (The adults present, for what it's worth, were both wearing masks - no small feat for my neck of the woods!)

At any rate, I just felt so bad for her, and even though I felt (and still do feel) that masking is the right way to go, I just began to question my sanity a bit. Like - am I the a*hole here? You know what I mean? 

Her little face just broke me and I had a hard time trusting myself after that.

Anyway, thank you both for reinforcing what I was already feeling. ❤️ 

CC21, FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 lynn
(@lynn)

@sistermoon -- For whatever it's worth, I think you're making the right call for your kids, both regarding the vaccine and the masking. My heart goes out to your sweet girl. Who doesn't remember having felt like an outsider? But she's going to live to tell the tales of this crazy time and that's what's most important. She is lucky to have you as a mom. 

@ghandigirl -- I still wear a mask, even though I'm double vaxxed (and waiting my turn for the 3rd shot). I carry a few and double up if the situation calls for it. I often wear one outdoors as well, especially if I'm in a crowd. Mercifully, I live in an area of NYC where this is just common. People are masked up everywhere. I intend to live through this calamity because there are better days ahead and I want to be around for them. 

CC21, FEBbby23, SisterMoon and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@sistermoon, your post nearly brought me to tears.  She may be introverted and shy, but your daughter is one courageous little girl.  You are a loving, wise and supportive mom, and your sweet children are blessed to have you.  

If you are comfortable doing so, please let us know when your children will be receiving their vaccines, so we can send them protective and healing light.

CC21, SisterMoon, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

If my child was that age I'd have him first in line for the vaccine.  I was just saying to my husband what a relief it must be for parents to finally be able to take this huge step towards making their children safe. 

FYI no cases of myocarditis were seen in the trials for children 5-11.  

CC21, FEBbby23, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell 

Thank you for the reassurance of “it is the most studied vaccine in history,” and Iridium for the information regarding absence of myocarditis in the younger children.

My six year old granddaughter who I care for before and after school, will be one of the first in line however, she is small for her age and I am a bit concerned that she will have uncomfortable side effects. Still, I am excited to be able to take her places again (exciting places like the public library—woohoo!)  but I agree with Lynn, we will be masked whenever we go into a public building and as well as outside if there are people close. We have a state mask mandate for public schools so I will be interested to see if/when that changes as younger children become vaccinated. 

I noticed today that despite living in a relatively enlightened area, I am often in the minority wearing a mask. Nonetheless, I am undeterred.  Breakthrough cases continue in our area and while most do not result in hospitalization, they remind one that there is still a pandemic. 

CC21, deetoo, SisterMoon and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @deetoo

@sistermoon, your post nearly brought me to tears.  She may be introverted and shy, but your daughter is one courageous little girl.  You are a loving, wise and supportive mom, and your sweet children are blessed to have you.  

If you are comfortable doing so, please let us know when your children will be receiving their vaccines, so we can send them protective and healing light.

Thank you, I will! They go next Friday, so next week I will update in the Prayers/Energetic Healing thread.

Thank you for the reminder - thank you everyone for all of your kind words, I really do feel 1000% better ❤️ 

CC21, ghandigirl, Maggieci and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@matildagirl)
Famed Member Registered

Read this article today and it suggests that people are believing the anti vax information because they don’t understand maths and can’t see the inaccuracies. An interesting idea.

But they also demonstrate how the successful spread of that message depends on an unfortunate fact: an awful lot of people just don't do maths.

The message lands easily because of the general innumeracy – and specifically the ignorance of statistics – of the people consuming it.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300453681/covid19-why-do-so-many-people-believe-antivax-lies-were-bad-at-maths

Could it be that simple?

Regards to all

Maggieci, CC21, Maggieci and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Posted by: @matildagirl

Read this article today and it suggests that people are believing the anti vax information because they don’t understand maths and can’t see the inaccuracies. An interesting idea.

But they also demonstrate how the successful spread of that message depends on an unfortunate fact: an awful lot of people just don't do maths.

The message lands easily because of the general innumeracy – and specifically the ignorance of statistics – of the people consuming it.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300453681/covid19-why-do-so-many-people-believe-antivax-lies-were-bad-at-maths

Could it be that simple?

Regards to all

Yes, I think that is a major factor. 

When people lack critical thinking skills in general, they can easily be misled.

And specifically, when people don't understand math or statistics, they do not have the mental tools to critically appraise numerical data.  Thus they can easily be misled about the data.  

matildagirl, Maggieci, CC21 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@sistermoon So glad that our fellow forum folks here have reassured you and I hope that your kids did well with the vaccine! (I see I am about a week behind...)

Your post made me think of a great resource that I have found and wanted to share here, called "Your Local Epidemiologist." It is written by Dr. Katelyn Jetelina (MPH and PhD in Epidemiology and Biostatistics) and she writes a blog (and is on Facebook) summarizing all of the current data/issues on COVID. I have found it to be really useful and easy-to-understand in the way she presents the information.

I saw that another user had posted about this in the forum on another thread, but I wanted to emphasize it here.

Her latest post is about How Vaccines Reduce Transmission:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/how-vaccines-reduce-transmission

She has also posted about the younger kids and vaccines here (from Nov. 2):

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/vaccine-for-5-11-year-olds-acip-cliff

MMA, Unk p, SisterMoon and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sistermoon)
Famed Member Registered

@cc21 Thank you for resharing these articles - I must have missed them when they were posted earlier. Great resources!

CC21, Unk p, CC21 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: