Notifications
Clear all

Our re-opened society and a new normal post-covid

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

In many US cities and other countries around the world, society is beginning yet another "new normal" as people are becoming fully vaccinated.  

What are you experiences?  What have you noticed? Is the re-entry phase going as you expected or are there some surprises.

Here are some surprising things I noticed this weekend while attending my first in person wedding since covid began.  (This was a wedding which had been postponed twice during Covid so there were a lot of happy people) 

Not everyone has a plan.

This particular church had been only open in limited capacity until this weekend.  Masks had been required last weekend and there was social distancing.  At the wedding yesterday, there were many young adults in attendance.  I would say about 10% were wearing masks and no social distancing was observed with most people.  This wedding was in Scottsdale, AZ .  

I was actually surprised there were so many choosing to go mask free and not observe any social distancing in any way. I actually wasn't sure what I wanted to do.  I had my mask on and off and on again.  haha.   I was in the Austin area of Texas just a few days ago and even with the change of mask mandates from the CDC, many OUTDOOR places still had a mask mandates.  There were timed entries to museums and botanical gardens too.  At this Scottsdale church I attended, it was like they went from 0 to 60 in zero seconds.

Other things I noticed at the church wedding and reception- 

A lot of people (more older but some younger)  stuck out their hand to shake hands for an introduction/greeting with me.  This caught me off guard.  I had not mentally prepared for so many people doing this again. Well, probably anyone doing this yet.  I did not have a plan in place.   If I had anticipated hand shaking, II could have made sure I had things in my hands so I could avoid actually  shaking hands with others or had a prepared line to say in a friendly way but grounded way letting hand shakers know I am not comfortable shaking hands yet.  

But I had nothing prepared. Nada.

So I went to the bathroom to wash my hands a lot and used a lot of sanitizer.

Another unexpected surprise, it was a buffet dinner and WE served ourselves.  So we all used the same serving utensils and there was no sneeze guard.  And nobody observed any distance between each other in line.  

It was so weird and many people were talking about it.

So, from my observation, we don't all have a plan in place for the new normal yet and until we do, we shouldn't be operating at old normal.  

Also, I don't want to shake hands yet.  SO, who has a good line besides, "DUDE!  What are you thinking!?!  I don't even know you! I certainly am not going to shake your hand yet!".  Or  " Hi!  When did you last sanitize?".

The last thing I was not prepared for was not really owning any real wedding guest attire anymore.  I have not bought a new "nice" outfit in over 18 months and over 2 years for one for summer weather.  So,  I was totally lacking for appropriate attire.  I also have lost some weight in the past 2 years so I have many less outfits to choose from.  So, that was unexpected.  I now need to go shopping for some nice clothing again.  

So, my advice, be prepared for weddings and other "social" situations which might occur in the new- normal.  Plan for the unexpected.  

Kateinpdx, PamP, TriciaCT and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)
Illustrious Member Registered

Well, i cant speak for everyone in the UK, but my family are still taking caution. Half of us are fully vaccinated, but we have a new variant circulating and while the protection against it looks promising, we are just being extremely careful still. In the UK we fully open up more in June, so it will be interesting to see what occurs.

I've heard there is a plan to give everyone a booster covid vaccine annually with the flu vaccine, to help keep on top of different variants which sounds promising.

As for the new normal, I just hope people appreciate how precious everything is that we all take for granted and that helps give people a new found perspective and appreciation. 

I do feel like there has been lots of spiritual lessons throughout this pandemic, in terms of life lessons, like a collective test. But sadly some people really have not learnt anything, and we are seeing a repeat of the same mistakes and ignorance. How this all translates moving forward I don't know... But it does seem like some people and some ways of living will never be the same again - both good and bad.

I will say - not from me - from another person who is psychic - that there is a new virus from China hitting us this year. Please can we all meditate on this? I really hope it isn't true...

TriciaCT, PamP, Coyote and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

@luminous I heard from a psychic on YouTube that we would reach herd immunity by the second quarter of next year. I feel that those who refused to get vaccinated will suffer from the consequences. From the 2/22 read the future night readings, things slowly become normal, and COVID no longer becomes a concern by Spring of next year.

TriciaCT, PamP, FEBbby23 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

I went to the grocery store, inside today, being fully vaccinated, I wore my mask. I was one of 3 people in the entire grocery store, wearing one. In my neck of the woods here... which is redder than red and tRumpian delusionals and not getting the vaccine ( cause of the microchip out in there by the pedophile baby killers Far left and Antifa) head in the sand Da Nile's every one. It's pretty much like it was before the Pandemic, except in the hospitals and drs offices.

TriciaCT, PamP, deetoo and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

I'm in a *BRIGHT* blue neighborhood of a blue county in a magenta state.  About 80% of people in a nearby grocery store are still wearing masks.   About 2/3 of the people at Home Depot (about 2 miles away ) were wearing masks on Saturday.   But I am sure in the next county over, no one is wearing a mask, since only a minority were doing so during the height of the pandemic. 

My workplace has declared masks optional.   I have dispensed with my mask at work because I know my co-workers are all vaccinated (they all have common sense).   But around people whose status is unknown, I wear the mask. 

TriciaCT, PamP, theungamer and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@lovendures   A column in today's local paper  had an answer for you:

Shaking hands

Don’t offer to shake hands if you are introduced. Simply say “It’s nice to meet you” with a smile and a nod of the head while keeping your hands by your side. If someone offers their hand to you, it’s okay to say “It’s so nice to meet you, but I’m not shaking hands yet,” implying that someday you will. Note: elbow bumping, while it was novel at the beginning, is unnecessary and now comes across as gimmicky, so skip it.

Hugs

At work, don’t even think about it. If offered a hug, use the same formula as before: smile and say “Great to see you again but I'm not hugging yet.”

TriciaCT, PamP, deetoo and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@melmystery)
Noble Member Registered

I've noticed a few random things here in Southeast Virginia that just seem weird after over a year of changes due to Covid.  Harris Teeter reopened their salad bar and hot bar.  Walmart has reopened both sets of entrances.  They had previously only had the entrance on the grocery side open (presumably so they could keep count of people inside the store, even though they appeared to have stopped counting months ago).  I was surprised that cart wipes weren't available anymore at one store I visited recently.  On the flip side, I went to a local shopping mall last Sunday and the security guard was strictly enforcing their still in place mask policy.  I heard her stop at least two maskless folks as I walked past wearing my mask.  Traffic is picking up again.

I work for a university and have been working from home all but one day a week.  After July we will be going back to the office more days and with overlap of staff in the department.  By the beginning of the fall semester we are mostly expected to be staffed at a pre-Covid level. 

As for the handshake question, I remember this thing we did in grade school.  You reach out like your going to shake their hand, but quickly move your hand to slick back your hair.  You can then say something like "Too smooth" or "Too cool" (referring to yourself) or "Too slow" (referring to the other person).  I'm not sure how well it will work with adults, but it might be a way to add humor to the fact that you're not ready to shake their hands yet.

Despite being Pfizered twice, I'm still reluctant to return to the pre-Covid way of life.  As an introvert and a germaphobe, I'd very much like for social distancing and hand sanitizing stations to become a way of life even after Covid. 

PamP, TriciaCT, Lauren and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

@melmystery I agree with your last paragraph. This coming fall is the last semester of my graduate studies, where I will only have class two days a week while working on a final project. The university will not start in-person lectures immediately but will permit it gradually.

TriciaCT, PamP, Lauren and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

In Massachusetts, no one goes into a store without a mask. No one.  Mask wearing outdoors is mixed. 

Being double faxed now, I'm swimming again at a health club indoor pool but you have to reserve a lane each day so no one ever shares a lane. I wanted to join an outdoor pool, but there aren't any near by.  

No one can wear a mask when swimming.  Some people keep their heads in the water and use snorkels, but I'm not sure they can shield themselves that way.  If they have some kind of shield built into the snorkel then that's quite clever. I suspect that nearly everyone there is vaccinated, but there is no way to know. 

PamP, lenor, TriciaCT and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@ana

Thank you for that information.  

It will help me prepare!

PamP, lenor, Lauren and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell

Your state is one of the most vaccinated states isn't it? Shouldn't that  bring some peace of mind to the indoor snorkel swimmers? 

PamP, lenor, Lauren and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

Posted by: @lovendures

@jeanne-mayell

Your state is one of the most vaccinated states isn't it? Shouldn't that  bring some peace of mind to the indoor snorkel swimmers? 

I really don’t think we have to be too concerned about chlorinated swimming pools.

PamP, lenor, Maggieci and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures It would be interesting to figure out what factors affect a state's vaccination rate.  A rough glance looks like it's blueness of the state that determines vaccination rates.

As of May 25th: Total US: 40% fully vaccinated. 131 million people

States range from 53% in Vermont to 27% in Mississippi.

1. Vermont
Number of people fully vaccinated: 331,529
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 53.13

2. Maine
Number of people fully vaccinated: 710,625
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 52.87

3. Connecticut
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,846,899
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 51.8

4. Massachusetts
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,499,591
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 50.77

5. Rhode Island
Number of people fully vaccinated: 529,682
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 50.

6. New Jersey
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,198,864
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 47.27

7. Hawaii
Number of people fully vaccinated: 664,651
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 46.94

8. New Mexico
Number of people fully vaccinated: 973,947
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 46.45

9. Maryland
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,752,911
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 45.54

10. New York 
Number of people fully vaccinated: 8,824,107
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 45.36

11. Minnesota
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,518,108
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 44.65

12. District of Columbia
Number of people fully vaccinated: 314,050
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 44.5

13. Washington
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,370,529
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 44.26

14. Colorado
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,526,489
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 43.87

15. Wisconsin
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,533,467
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 43.51

16. Virginia
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,709,569
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 43.46

17. Oregon
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,809,594
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 42.9

18. Iowa
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,348,285
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 42.73

19. Pennsylvania
Number of people fully vaccinated: 5,378,692
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 42.01

20. South Dakota
Number of people fully vaccinated: 370,948
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 41.93

21. California
Number of people fully vaccinated: 16,463,950
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 41.67

22. Delaware
Number of people fully vaccinated: 404,308
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 41.52

23. Nebraska
Number of people fully vaccinated: 799,467
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 41.33

24. New Hampshire
Number of people fully vaccinated: 561,808
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 41.32

25. Michigan
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,088,004
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 40.93

26. Ohio
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,590,074
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 39.27

27. Illinois
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,926,691
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 38.88

28. Alaska
Number of people fully vaccinated: 283,291
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 38.73

29. Florida
Number of people fully vaccinated: 8,108,043
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 37.75

30. Kentucky
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,678,845
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 37.58

31. Kansas
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,094,472
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 37.57

32. Montana
Number of people fully vaccinated: 401,149
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 37.53

33. North Dakota
Number of people fully vaccinated: 274,335
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 36.

34. Nevada
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,100,149
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 35.72

35. North Carolina
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,711,655
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 35.39

36. Arizona
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,559,836
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 35.17

37. Texas
Number of people fully vaccinated: 9,966,234
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 34.37

38. Indiana
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,312,972
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 34.36

39. Missouri
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,068,170
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 33.7

40. West Virginia
Number of people fully vaccinated: 601,629
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 33.57

41. Oklahoma
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,313,936
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 33.21

42. South Carolina
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,695,996
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 32.94

43. Idaho
Number of people fully vaccinated: 573,143
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 32.07

44. Utah
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,016,859
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 31.72

45. Wyoming
Number of people fully vaccinated: 181,453
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 31.35

46. Tennessee
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,120,958
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 31.06

47. Georgia
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,258,138
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 30.69

48. Louisiana
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,421,591
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 30.58

49. Arkansas
Number of people fully vaccinated: 915,272
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 30.33

50. Alabama
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,415,771
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 28.87

51. Mississippi
Number of people fully vaccinated: 798,278
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 26.82

PamP, deetoo, Coyote and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @lowtide

I really don’t think we have to be too concerned about chlorinated swimming pools.

I found out that you are right that we don't have to be concerned about chorinated indoor pools.  Because chlorine vapor is highly poisonous, building codes for indoor chlorinated pools require maximum ventilation.  Also when people are doing laps, they tend to breathe into the water.  If you are really worried while doing laps, you could use a snorkel and a breathable cover over the part in the air which would at least prevent a covid-sneeze from reaching you. 

lenor, PamP, lenor and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

@jeanne-mayell.  Unvaccinated people, higher risk, but in a pool people usually allow space between themselves and others.  I don’t think transmission is likely. Within six feet (close contact) of an infected person for 15 minutes without a mask is most likely route of transmission.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/parks-rec/aquatic-venues.html

PamP, Coyote, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@theungamer)
Famed Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell The California percentages are disappointing. The state is not as blue as everyone thinks. The bluest parts of the state are on the coast.  It gets very red moving east. 

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@lowtide not to mention that in a pool area, the air is also going to have a much higher ratio of chlorine, and any "shedding" that happens is going to be into an environment that is highly toxic to the virus, whether into the air or the water.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Iridium and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell

Yes, it does seem that more blue states are getting vaccinated.

I will be curious to see where the purple states fall within a month.  Also, how they will re-work statistics to include eligible children.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Things I noticed today while being in public in AZ.

1-  Walgreens had Covid 19 antibody test for sale on a shelf.  I had not seen those before and it struck me that a year ago we were talking about how good it would be to have an antibody test to take at home one day.  Well, that day is here.  

2-Most many people still where masks while visiting stores but there are less doing so.

3- Personal milestone.  I chose not to wear a mask to my chiropractor appointment.  One other person was in the waiting room and we were far apart.  Masks were not suggested.  The person who came in around the time I did  asked about masks and was told it was not  necessary for the visit. 

Not wearing one felt...odd but ok.

I did wear one at Walgreens and at my grocery store.

4-Grocery carts. Am I the only one who misses people sanitizing your carts and greeting you at the entry of the store.  I think this should be something that STAYS after re-opening.  I mean who doesn't want a clean cart???

( I tend to be a little germ phobic anyway so ...yeah, I miss that.)

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

My extended family maintains a shore house in the vicinity of Cape May, New Jersey. I went down there with my parents two weeks ago. The CDC had just relaxed its mask guidelines for fully vaccinated people and the traffic going in and out of Cape May was what you'd expect to see in July. It was only about 68 degrees and the lifeguards aren't on duty until Memorial Day, but the beach was rather crowded with sunbathers. Everyone seemed to be celebrating the vaccine rollout and the relaxed mask guidelines. I walked a bit on the promenade next to the beach, unmasked. There were quite a few other pedestrians, and I came within 6 feet of other unmasked people, but the vigorous sea breeze made me pretty confident that I wouldn't contract anything. People were mindful of putting on their masks when they walked into shops and restaurants, but I'm not sure how cognizant they will still be once beach season starts in earnest this weekend.

I'm holding my breath as things seem to lull in Europe and North America. This isn't a prediction, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's another surge in infections once the weather turns cooler or even in mid-summer. I keep thinking about the spread of variants and the effects of massive numbers of people in the northern hemisphere adopting an "anything goes" attitude; odds are, unvaccinated people will join the summer celebrations en masse. When I saw the news today that the CDC would no longer be investigating mild "breakthrough" covid infections (infections in people who are fully vaccinated), a red flag went up in my mind. It just seems like one more layer of vigilance is being prematurely discarded. 

@jeanne-mayell Since the decision to get vaccinated is as much a social decision as it is a science-based calculation, people who live in states with high levels of social trust are probably more likely to get the shot. Those states' political persuasions just happens to reflect community cohesion. This phenomenon can also explain why small countries such as Bhutan, Mongolia, and the Seychelles are almost fully vaccinated while vaccine suspicion seems to be thriving in less cohesive places like Europe and the US.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7
Share: