Notifications
Clear all

RANDOM PREDICTIONS 3 (Put Actual Predictions in blue font)

(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lawrence  not any more he's not : https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/26/trump-mugshot-fundraising-00113118

At some point he's gotta be stopped by something... maybe the 14th Ammendment.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/08/donald-trump-constitutionally-prohibited-presidency/675048/

Jeanne Mayell, Seeker4, Vesta and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

May I suggest we all get busy emailing/writing our state election officials?

Seeker4, Jeanne Mayell, Lauren and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

I did some quick scans and got the following.

What will Florida look like after DeSantis is gone? I saw the color purple.

seaturtle26, JourneyWithMe2, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@journeywithme2 Lots of discussion on the media lately about whether the 14 amendment, section 3 will work to bar Trump from the Presidency. Seems like an elegant solution to all this hyperbole and hysteria. The rub is that timing is key. Can't pursue it until there is a conviction on the Jan 6 trial, and even if the trial resolves before Nov/24, can an appeal of any possible conviction delay the ability to implement and test the amendment before the election? And given that there will inevitably be questions about the legal application of this never-tested amendment, is there enough time to slog through the appeal and apply the amendment in order to prevent Trump's candidacy? High hopes, but timing is everything.

Seeker4, FEBbby23, Vesta and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

The media is reporting yet another trial for the orange pretender in March of 2024... does anyone recall our "Beware the Ides of March" predictions?

seaturtle26, Seeker4, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@kathleen This is a recent video interview of two well-known and very highly-respected constitutional scholars, Laurence Tribe and J. Michael Luttig (both of whom are conservatives) in an appearance on MSNBC with Ali Velshi. Both of them are of the considered opinion that it is not in fact necessary to wait for a conviction. They have also done a lot of writing about the subject in the last few weeks, and their arguments are logical and both legally and constitutionally sound. There would, of course, be appeals if it were to be implemented, but even the most extreme right justices on the bench at SCOTUS would be hard pressed to argue that the 14th Amendment is unconstitutional: it's an actual part of the document. ;-)

Also, the amendment has been tested and succeeded, not at this level of course, but in New Mexico in the case of Couy Griffin, and the evidence in the case of TFG is much more voluminous of higher quality.

Maggieci, seaturtle26, DannyBoy and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

@tgraf66 I'm going to disagree on one point. I've read Tribe's twitter feed for years. Tribe is liberal. He founded the American Constitution Society to counter the conservative Federalist Society. So basically with the two of them there is bipartisan agreement on the 14th amendment use. 

I've long felt that Heat Miser's (see Jeanne's pic above-The Year Without A Santa Claus will never be viewed the same way again) participation in the election cycle would spell chaos for the Rs. It's like I feel he will take the lead, and then poof, be gone leaving the nomination vacated, shattered, or hard to piece back together again in time for the actual election. I don't know if this means he gets the nomination, and then he's gone, or just before the primaries and convention he's out of the running, leaving no clear successor, and too many clamoring for the spot. I've just felt for a while that there is chaos in the party/election surrounding his exit.

Maggieci, 2ndfdl, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@tgraf66 Thanks for that feedback on Tribe and Luttig's perspective that the 14th amendment section 3 could be enacted before a conviction -- I missed it. But,in order for the amendment to be implemented, it would appear that Trump would need to be convicted of violating it in order to force him to vacate his candidacy. What am I missing?

Lauren, raincloud and Vesta reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jampa)
Reputable Member Registered

@kathleen There a lot of situations in which a judge might make findings of criminality that do not require or amount to a criminal conviction. You don't need a criminal conviction to get a judge to apply the crime/fraud exception to attorney-client privilege, for instance.  You also don't need a criminal conviction to obtain a civil judgment for the exact same conduct.  It's all a question of what standards are going to be applied to the conduct, and that's a complicated question of constitutional law.

Maggieci, Lauren, Vesta and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@jampa Right, also making the application of Amendment 14 Section 3 difficult, conviction or no conviction. As you said, it's a "complicated question of constitutional law"

Plenty of stuff may yet hit the fan, and he may vacate for other reasons leaving the GOP is disarray. What a great mob kiss goodbye!

Maggieci, Lauren, Vesta and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jampa)
Reputable Member Registered

@kathleen Right.  My point is just that it's not a given that a conviction would be required.  It would help, though, because it would take a few potential sticking points off the table.

Maggieci, Lauren and Vesta reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tybin)
Famed Member Registered

Two of my favorite lawyers, Chuck Rosenberg and Preet Baharra say realistically there is no way the idea about the 14th amendment will come to pass. It was a podcast of Preet’s. I think they are being realistic. It’s too bad it won’t be used especially on members of Congress 

raincloud, Maggieci, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@tybin Yes, I love listening to Rosenberg and Baharra. What did they say was the sticking point with the 14th amendment? I'm just curious.

Lauren, raincloud and tybin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tybin)
Famed Member Registered

They both agreed there’s just no chance enough would initiate such a process. There isn’t a clear cut plan for doing it

Posted by: @kathleen

@tybin Yes, I love listening to Rosenberg and Baharra. What did they say was the sticking point with the 14th amendment? I'm just curious.

Lauren and Maggieci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@cindy My apologies on the mischaracterization of Mr. Tribe. Some of his politics seemed pretty conservative to me, so I put him in that category, although I suppose that says more about me than about him.😂 In any case, I agree with your assessment of the R ticket this time around. TFG will dominate all of them until he can't for whatever reason, and by then it will be too late for the R's.

Lauren, raincloud, Maggieci and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@tybin I don't necessarily agree with that assessment. I think part of their argument is based solely on the fact that it hasn't been tried at this level since the Civil War coupled with the fear of a long, drawn out appeals procedure, which I don't actually think would happen. There is already one complaint filed by Dean Obeidallah with his state's Secretary of State (he provides a template for such in this blog post), and with enough such complaints, it could work. It would also require similar actions in only five or six large electoral college states (like CA, NY, MI, PA, and a few others) to make it a moot point whether he's on the ballot elsewhere or not. Mr. Obeidallah also includes a link to this Congressional Research Service report that contains strong evidence that a conviction is not, in fact, necessary.

JD1960, Lauren, DannyBoy and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@tgraf66 I researched what happens if one of the nominees suddenly has to absent his/her candidacy for the Presidency, and it's not unprecedented. The party affected can put forth the VP candidate instead, which hasn't yet been picked of course, or they have other options. Basically, the party makes the decisions.

Lauren, raincloud, Maggieci and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@kathleen I think the problem for the party will be that since they have failed to support any of the challengers in any meaningful way - and those same challengers have already expressed their overt support for TFG to the point that none of them really has a chance to do anything but compete for a possible VP pick - there's really not much the party can do to be competitive in the next 14 months. Even the uber-right Federalist Society and the Koch brothers appear to have given up on him and have expressed only tepid support at best to any of the rest of the contenders.

KMac, Lauren, DannyBoy and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@seeker4)

This discussion seems more like a legal and political one rather than random predictions.  Am I missing something?

Lovendures, tybin, Lauren and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 KMac
(@kathleen)
Noble Member Contributor

@tgraf66 I hadn't thought about the dark money aspect of this in awhile and you're right -- it's just not there anymore. Trump depends mostly on his individual donors now and their hard-earned dollars. It's not going to be enough.

Lauren, raincloud, Vesta and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 42 / 57
Share: