Notifications
Clear all

What if you get sick from giving readings, giving psychotherapy or any form of holistic therapy, energy work, medicine, or just helping others?

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Time and again I hear about healers becoming chronically sick, or an empathic caring person, empathic doctors, clergy, tarot readers, therapists, all developing chronic illnesses, some even fatal.  What's going on?  Are we taking on the ailing person's illness?  Can we clear it? 

People say they learn how to clear themselves, but do they?  What does it take to clear yourself?  What if you find yourself thinking about the person you helped until late into the night?  What is that about?

Why is it that you can help some people and feel fine afterwards, but you feel sick when you help others?  Is it them or you?  Or more likely it's both of you.  And it is also part of the process of helping another. 

Saving a drowning person might be good analogy for the extreme versions of this scenario.  Never get in the water with them.  Never get near them.  Throw them a life preserver.  If you must get into the water, have someone who can hold you and protect you from being taken down. This would be an analogy for an extreme case when the person you are helping is in dire straits in such a way that you can find yourself thinking about them too much.  

But there are more subtle cases of helping someone. So when is it toxic for you?  And how do you stay strong and healthy if you are an empathic caring person? 

fmabon, Jess, JourneyWithMe2 and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Forgot to tag some people who might want to join this: @deetoo @bluebelle @lovendures @tonyaW 

Also want to add that I do recall many years ago reading that therapists, doctors, and clergy had higher rates of chronic or fatal disease rates than the average population, but I don't have access to that data right now. They don't have data on psychics, but it's part of the same type of helping work. 

JourneyWithMe2, Vesta, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tonyaw)
Honorable Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell wow! You have impeccable timing on this one with tagging me. I have been wondering this myself and recently had this conversation with a friend. Lately doing patient care I find that I am even more intuitively picking up illnesses in assessments before they are confirming (just knowing they are diabetic already or having a heart condition or arthritis in their hands or COPD etc) but I am also leaving these assessments with various aches and pains or shortness of breath or chest pain that wasn’t there to begin with. It has me questioning what I am doing differently from before. Has me wondering if I am not clearing things well anymore or if collectively everything is just heavier? Maybe I need to work on shielding better? I did a group meditation at an energy center last night and I could not get much from it because I could not move past the energy in the room- I felt so much physical and emotional pain from individuals. And I could not help but want to send them healing energy and light. Is that establishing a connection and taking on their pain as well? Is it better to ask their guides to help them and throw up your shields? I have been thinking about this all morning and then saw your tag. Great timing. Would love to hear others input. 

JourneyWithMe2, Vesta, FEBbby23 and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

I am an empath.  I am also able -- I don't know how -- to keep the energy of others from affecting me too much.  The trick, I think, is having strong boundaries and a well-defined sense of self.  The most important of these two things is the boundaries: knowing your limitations and not getting drawn in to situations that will put you in over your head.  You can have compassion for people, certainly, but you must understand that you are not always going to be able to be the best source of help for that person or situation. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is gently guide them to better resources, send up a prayer on their behalf, and walk away. If you have a strong sense of who you are and where your own boundaries are, you are much more easily able to compartmentalize "me" vs. "not me".  Thus, I can feel what others feel, yes, but I can also disconnect that ability whe necessary, and because that energy is "not me" and is outside my boundaries, it can be "shed" (discarded) relatively easily.

That doesn't mean it doesn't affect me emotionally; it does, obviously, but the effect is more educational than experiential.  It teaches me what the other person is dealing with, how I can best understand their experience, whether I have any tools, methods, or practices that may help them, what those might be, and how they can best be utilized to help so that whatever assistance I may be able to offer is more effective and efficient.  It also allows me to draw on the experience of helping others, sort of like "oh, right, you're dealing with x, and I've seen others having a similar experience, so I will start by using the tools and methods that helped in those other cases, and we'll fine-tune what you need from there."

There's also the need to learn how to handle the energy that you choose to engage with.  When I first began to dabble in energy work, I was taught to "receive" with the right hand, and "send" with the left.  I couldn't do it.  My natural energy flow is "in" on the left, and "out" on the right, and I've since come to believe that the reason for that is that I'm right-handed.  My left (non-dominant) hand is much better at gross control and movement, which allows it to gather a lot of energy very quickly, while my right (dominant) hand has much better fine motor control and can direct it much more precisely and exactly where it needs to go.  That may just be my justification for it, but it works for me, and I assume that the opposite would be true for people who are left-handed (can any lefties out there maybe confirm this?).

In addition, when I do energy work, there is a defined track for that energy: in through the left, across the shoulders, and out through the right, so the energy never comes near my center or any of my chakras and therefore can't directly influence my being or my own energy.  That track has a very heavy psychic "shield", so to speak, to prevent energy leakage.  For example, when "pulling" negative energy from someone (using my left hand), I keep my right hand aimed down and away from both the person and myself so that energy can't interfere with either of us.  The energy flows in through the left, across my shoulders, and is discarded through the right.  Then, when "applying" positive replacement energy, I keep my left hand facing up to draw in the universal healing energy, allowing that energy to once again cross my shoulders and be directed with my right hand to the places that my guides feel it needs most to go.

But...having said all that, everyone works differently, and what works for me may not work for others. ?

fmabon, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

Timely post, Jeanne. Thank you. About a month ago, I was absorbing a lot of the toxic energy here on Cape Cod and I’m sure the latest rising numbers of Covid cases. (I’m not far from Ptown and was there over july 4 wknd) I thought I was losing my mind! My thoughts became quite despairing and my mind felt scrambled—as in many thoughts coming in almost like a distorted radio signal. I shared w one highly psychic friend who warned me about being careful. She knew of a woman who gave readings and had a stroke bc she hadn’t protected herself well. That poor woman. 
Well, after hearing that, I became more unnerved. Up late one night and surreally wondering if I was losing my mind (yet I knew I wasn’t if that makes sense), I asked my angels for protection. I said it aloud and, within the hr, my mind settled down. 
I ask for protection more regularly. I’ve never read for anyone and this experience has given me pause to try. It was a bizarre, bewildering, and even frightening experience.

I wonder if the collective heartbreak combined w the still prevalent oppositional anger are the culprits. So many in society have let us down once again with their long-standing privileged and violent stances. 
We are witnessing here many horrible examples of selfishness and greed. It’s emotionally exhausting. 

fmabon, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

I don't intentionally read for people, but I do often find myself landing in the position of "helper".  It's a dilemma because helping can suck my energy out and provoke free-floating anxiety, but honestly I think it's kind of my job to listen and help, because I can do it and not everyone can. 

My whole life, I have had to maintain emotional distance from most people in order to protect myself.  Otherwise every needy person (which is most people, at one time or another, if we are honest) will latch onto me like a lamprey and drag me under.  It's not an easy way to live.  

JourneyWithMe2, Vesta, earthangel and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@jeanne-mayell I have been helping a friend for several months as she has gone through a series of traumatic events.  During that time, I have comforted her when she was suicidal, encouraged her that she has a better future ahead and thrown cards for her.  My intuition tells me my friend will be okay and have a much happier life.  Although it’s my privilege to help my friend, I have felt worn down by the experience.  At one point, I had to tell her that I was too involved in her problems and as an empath, I was picking up her pain and suffering.  I needed to have distance for my own well being and yet reassure my friend that she is going to get through this experience.  It’s been a balancing act and I have been able to set boundaries to a certain extent.  However, I feel stuck in a codependent relationship with my friend,  the entire situation still bothers me and I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it.  Does anyone have suggestions on how I can clear away this negative energy?  I hadn’t even thought about putting up a psychic shield.  I just wanted my friend to live and wanted to help.

JourneyWithMe2, Vesta, earthangel and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@jeanne-mayell 

What a fascinating thread. I do not do readings, but I have had negative experiences with acquaintances/friends in the past that were very draining and toxic. I think @tgraf66 really hit the nail on the head about the key being strong boundaries and a clear sense of self. At least in the situations I experienced, this is indeed what I was lacking at the time. I have learned a lot since then and still find myself being "sucked in" to different situations, but less so than before and able to recognize this pattern. Much of it stems from my own need to help or need for connection with a friend. It can be very confusing and hard to sort out, especially in the midst of a situation.

I found it really interesting to read about your methods, @tgraf66, and the way your energy work avoids your core/chakras. I have no idea about how to shield or clear energy, though, besides, time, distance, recalibrating yourself with down-time and things that nurture you. I bet that grounding or meditation that focuses on dropping your grounding cord and reestablishing it would be helpful (this was explained to me once by a clairvoyant...I can try to explain it here briefly, if that would help.)

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@jeanne-mayell, I am very grateful that you started this topic. This is something I struggle with, especially now, with the collective heartbreak @earthangel mentioned.

I'm a work in progress and still learning about my intuitive gifts.  @tgraf66, I so agree that it begins with strong boundaries and a well-defined sense of self. @ana, I can relate to your need for emotional distance. There was a time when I was such a human sponge that I could absorb the energy of a room. Over the years it wore me down and affected my health. In order to protect myself, I became so detached that for a period in my life, people saw me as being somewhat closed off and aloof. That really wasn’t me inside, but because I was having a difficult time reaching a sense of balance with my empathic nature, I emotionally shut down for that period.

I withdraw at times, even from people who I care about, in order to reach equilibrium. I've recently discovered that I can still inadvertently pick up on other people's energies in some group meditations. I'm grateful for that awareness, because it's helping me to discover ways to energetically protect myself.

The No. 1 thing that is essential for me: Grounding.  If I’m not grounded, I’m little help to anyone because I’m not fully present; and more importantly, I can potentially hurt myself. One of the ways I ground is a mindful awareness of my body.  If I begin losing touch with that awareness, I bring myself back by feeling my feet connected to mother earth, feeling my tailbone as I sit on a chair, or even giving myself a hug -- stroking my arms and becoming aware of my body in the physical space I occupy.  I remind myself that I am a spiritual being having a human experience, and it's really important to integrate the two. In addition, if I am interacting with someone and feel myself energetically "leaving," I try to step back and understand why. There is usually a reason behind it -- which again, gets back to the idea of strong boundaries and that well-defined sense of self.

I’ve learned over the years that true compassion does not mean that you carry someone else’s burden, have to feel what they are feeling, or even take any kind of action, in order to help them. Since I’m highly empathic that’s been difficult, but I’m learning to manage it more in my advancing years. I'm not responsible for the karma of others, and sometimes it may not even be in their best interests for me to intervene. Or if I do, knowing when to walk away in kindness. As an empath I can bear witness to others, which in itself means that I am shining light and blessing them.  That's powerful and sacred.

A couple of practical suggestions I can offer:

I don’t engage in any kind of healing or energy work when I’m overtired or feeling ill.  That also includes group meditations.  I’ve learned that the hard way.  I'm exhausted a lot (have chronic fatigue), so I have to respect myself and work within those limits.  I also try to avoid or limit my interactions with people who are energy vampires. I can always tell when I've encountered one when I'm feeling increasingly exhausted the more time we spend together.  I wish them well and pray for them, but I try not to engage.

@cc21, I would in interested in hearing more about the grounding cord technique.

I have a few additional thoughts on this topic, and will post more later.  Thanks for all of your contributions.  You've helped me enormously.  

Jess, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@deetoo I did a Google search and there are various detailed methods for creating grounding cords, some more extensive than I learned and some with different modalities (Reiki), of which I am not familiar. But the basic method I use is this:

1. Take a seat and center yourself with several long, slow, deep breaths. 

2. Envision the energy in your spine. Extend it down to the very center of the earth and connect with that center (I often envision tree roots growing around a ball at the center of the earth.) This connects you with Mother Earth and her energy can come up the cord and you can also let energy drain out of you down into the Earth where it will be transmuted and neutralized to be used again elsewhere.

3. Imagine that the cord is about 12 inches wide. You can change the size in your mind, envision a color (I often use bright green as a springtime sort of healing energy from Earth.) It keeps you securely connected to the Earth and her energy.

4. It was recommended to me to change your energy cord once a day or more often if you have had a significant experience (stressful interaction, etc.) To change it, you begin by "dropping" your cord - just imagine it dropping off and being absorbed by the Earth (again, the Earth will transmute the energy and take care of it.) Then you can reestablish a fresh cord using the method above.

I am sure there are more details and nuances I am forgetting or differences in others' methods, but that is the basic one.

I was also reading about shielding just now ( https://reikirays.com/32300/3-golden-energy-techniques/) and there are a number of helpful descriptions, including:

"Here are some ways to shield:

• Metal ball: I often think of a huge ball which is similar to a zorbing ball but only made of metal. Imagine you enter a metal ball which is safe well ventilated and can help you bounce of any negative energies. Now enter that ball and stay there while you feel being harshly attacked by energy.
  • Mirror ball: This technique is similar to metal ball, the only difference is in addition to protection this also reflects the negative energy back to the sender. A wonderful way to ward away manipulations.
  • Beam of light: Imagine a big beam of spotlight usually in golden or white on you from head to toe. Imagine it acting like a shield to protect you.
  • Archangel Michael’s blue cloak: Simply ask for help from Archangel Michael and ask him to place his blue cloak on you for protection against all evil.
  • Armour: Do you remember the armour of the old roman warriors or the Spartans? Imagine wearing that kind of armour protecting against any kind of negative energy. Wear this armour twice a day."

I found the shielding interesting as I created a "bedtime bubble" for myself as a child very similar to these when I was scared at night. I imagined an opaque bubble around myself and my bed. Nothing could get in from any direction. It was soundproof to me and I couldn't see out. I felt very safe in there and could go to sleep.

Hope some of this is helpful!

fmabon, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Posted by: @cc21
  •  

I found the shielding interesting as I created a "bedtime bubble" for myself as a child very similar to these when I was scared at night. I imagined an opaque bubble around myself and my bed.

I do that frequently.  

Once my BF (at the time) and I were traveling and I felt very uneasy at one particular hotel. So I made a big bubble around the bed as we were going to sleep.  I didn't tell the BF I was doing it.  But as soon as I put it in place he started laughing and said "Wow, that was really loud and you put it down on the heads of the people on the other side of the wall".   

fmabon, JourneyWithMe2, 2ndfdl and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@ana and @cc1 I love these methods. I put a fifty foot angel over my house when I need protection. The whole house is inside her skirts.  And I put one over my kids' homes and over anyone who is scared. She does a good job. 

TonyaW, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@ana That is a great story! Love it.

@jeanne-mayell Neat! Love the angel. So fun to read how others place protection.

I related to the Archangel Michael cloak method I posted above. I heard a similar method years ago (using the Blessed Mother and her mantle of protection) and use that whenever driving and even at sometimes at home or when thinking of someone that I want to protect. I add a request of guardian angels inside and outside of the car/home along with the mantle of protection to surround. Neat stuff.

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@cc21 @deetoo 

Perhaps I would benefit by working on grounding.   I'm pretty good at shielding (see my last post LOL) but grounding is something I tend to forget about.

@cc21  --  The concepts of 1) such a large diameter cord and 2) dropping it when it gets "saturated" are new to me.  I'll try them!  Thanks. 

JourneyWithMe2, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

@ana and @cc1 I love these methods. I put a fifty foot angel over my house when I need protection. The whole house is inside her skirts.  And I put one over my kids' homes and over anyone who is scared. She does a good job. 

I can see how that would feel very comforting and protective.  But I also wonder how the angel feels about people looking up her skirt.  LOL-- I'm sure she doesn't care, but that's where my mind went. 

JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@ana lol. I figured people’s minds would go there. It feels like light. Big light.  A field of light that is strong and gentle. 

JourneyWithMe2, Lovendures, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

@bluebelle I do chakra healing meditations regularly. Hold divine (whatever that is for the individual) light in each spot for as long as required. I always feel calm and confident afterwards. I try to do these outside in nature as much as possible. But really can be done anywhere. 

CC21, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

Thank you all for the great grounding and shielding suggestions.

@cc21,  I've used a similar cord/spine/energy visualization, but I've never heard of dropping your cord and reestablishing a new one.  That idea really resonates with me.  I also like the metal ball and mirror ball concepts.  Sometimes when I'm in a situation where I sense negative energy is being directed my way, I picture myself throwing a ball back at the sender and say "this is your ball, not mine."  Or sometimes I'll just say "Return to Sender."

@jeanne-mayell @cc21, I also really like the angel cloak method.  Jeanne, I've used a vision of large angel wings enveloping my bed, but never over the entire house!  But why not go big?  @ana, I don't think the angel will mind if I'm looking up her skirt (and I love your story about the hotel incident!)

@earthangel, you just reminded me to return to my chakra healing meditations.  Thank you!  I do an online one that uses the Tibetan bowls.

I have chronic cervical dysfunction that can sometimes contribute to feeling ungrounded.  For whatever reason, on those nights when I feel ungrounded and/or have adrenaline surges and can't sleep, I envision one angel holding the base of my skull with her hands, as another angel holds my feet.  The angel holding my skull releases the blockages and tension in my head, as the other angel draws that stale energy downward and out through the soles of my feet.  I can often feel tingling down my spine and my legs will begin to pulsate with the energy.   

Another suggestion to release negative or pent-up energy:  water therapy.  I can't take baths (they wipe me out too much), so for me, that means taking a cool shower.  I imagine I'm standing underneath a beautiful waterfall, washing away the stress and toxic stuff I may have absorbed that day.  A good foot soak with epsom salts can sometimes work too.  I'm also thinking swimming might be very effective, as long as you're in a peaceful space.

Frank, JourneyWithMe2, earthangel and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

This thread is wonderful! I am enjoying reading everyone's responses. 

I have a lot to learn from everyone.  We have so many talented and giving people on the forum.   This thread reminds me of what an amazing group of individuals we have here, individuals who come together and make this such a beautiful and interesting community.  

I am going to continue to read what everyone says as this thread grows with responses. 

@vestralux @Frank, I am tagging you because I imagine you might also have an interesting  contribution to add to the conversation.

JourneyWithMe2, ghandigirl, earthangel and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

@deetoo I have a healing bowl! I will have to look for an online meditation. Thanks! 

JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: