Notifications
Clear all

Trouble Sleeping?

(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

I use lavender essential oil or a lotion... helps me fall to sleep quickly. Staying asleep is the intermittent problem. Counting down til we can exhale ??

deetoo, Baba, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@liln22)
Prominent Member Registered

I have had alot of trouble sleeping the last few weeks (extra restless and can't shut off my brain).  Earlier this year in January, I had a lot of trouble too-to the point my doctor thought it might be bothering my health, especially my heart. I had to have one of those sleep tests where they hook you up to all the wires while you attempt to sleep. I was fighting with my doctor about not having another test like that (not a pleasant experience for me in any way) when Covid hit and the 2nd round of tests were cancelled. I sometimes find myself up til 4am, 5am or  6am and don't get much sleep until I basically get overly exhausted. One thing that does help is I have a heated throw. I lay it over my pillows, turn the heat on so when I lay down to read or listen to music the heat just seeps down through my neck, shoulders and back and helps me relax. My cat will cuddle up next to me on it and brings a sense of peace.  My grandmother used to suffer from insomnia and I spent many a night when she was still alive sitting up with her and just talking through the hours. I used to tease her that she passed that along to me.

earthangel, Mamaly, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

@frank Wonderful remedies! Thank you 

FEBbby23, Vesta, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Famed Member Registered

@saibh Just the act of knitting something red would be very grounding.  I find that food is the most important part of staying grounded.  It gives me an excuse to have that evening glass of red wine and munch on potato chips before bed, lol.

TriciaCT, deetoo, Vesta and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @moonbeam

Thanks all for the tips and tricks. I have been sleeping badly as well, but also been waking up with spasms in my back for a few weeks. Could the effect in astrology and the state of the world as well have an impact on 'how' you sleep? I am wondering if I am doing something with my back/neck while sleeping. 

Yes I've been having muscle spasms all week as well.  It's your physical body not being able to deal with all the energy flow.  Try increasing your intake of electrolytes: Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium.  These all facilitate healthy muscle activity and allow your body to get rid of toxins that build up in muscle cells.  I also use a topical magnesium spray on my neck and shoulders before bedtime and upon waking that really helps.  The brand I use is called Theraworx and can be found at Walgreens.  You can also make your own from Epson Salt and some water.

earthangel, TriciaCT, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@blackandwhite)
Noble Member Registered

@frank, thank you! I did not realize this was the root of the problem!

She did not realize it was the "root" of the problem. 

Haha ?

FEBbby23, Frank, Share and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
Illustrious Member Registered

@frank, thank you! Just started with magnesium and zinc. Will begin my day with a healthy bowl of yoghurt and fruit to up the calcium.

deetoo, Baba, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@blackandwhite, I am not certain what you are trying to say here, but it doesn't feel good. Yes I am aware that roots are in the earth, but that wasn't was my comment was about. Can you explain please?

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@frank

"@saibh Just the act of knitting something red would be very grounding.  I find that food is the most important part of staying grounded.  It gives me an excuse to have that evening glass of red wine and munch on potato chips before bed, lol."

I just loved this!  I am an ideopathic/lifelong insomnia since birth. And trust 70 years of insomnia after trying everything invented and therapy along the way, i don't ever give advice on this subject!

But for the rest of you with situational or emotional insomnia, enjoy your wine,  heated throws and anything/ everything that works for you! 

And for almost all of you "this too shall pass"!!

Love, blessings, good luck, and much healing ?

FEBbby23, deetoo, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@ana

I haven't personally had any trouble sleeping lately, but for what it's worth--- on the occasion where I do wake up with the "3 AM Paranoia", I simply *remind* myself that it's 3 AM and that it is, after all, "Official Paranoia Hour".   I'll get up, go to the bathroom, drink some water, etc., and remind myself that things will look very different in the morning, 

Love love this Ana!

Frank has Happy Hour and you have Paranoia Hour and as a lapsed Catholic i tell myself that i was meant to be a nun and use my extra 5 hours to do with as needed for the good of my self and others and that I was just meant to be wired this way! 

???

FEBbby23, deetoo, Iridium and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mamaly)
Reputable Member Registered

Haven't posted in a while - hope everyone is well. Big thanks for this thread. I, too, am having trouble sleeping. I think mine is definitely related to less physical exercise and lack of natural light (with Covid, I don't go out nearly as much as I used to). I also find that alcohol tends to make my insomnia worse. Even 1-2 glasses of wine in the evening pretty much ensures a sleepless night for me. So, for me, getting more exercise, sunlight and no alcohol in the evenings, tends to help. I also like the other excellent suggestions (lavender, yoga nidra, magnesium, etc.). Sending warm thoughts to everyone on this forum. Really love the great messages that are here. - Mamaly

FEBbby23, deetoo, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@frank)
Famed Member Registered

@blackandwhite, I am not certain what you are trying to say here, but it doesn't feel good. Yes I am aware that roots are in the earth, but that wasn't was my comment was about. Can you explain please?

@blackandwhite was pointing out that you made a pun.  I also thought you were trying to be humorous with a play on words. ❤️ 

FEBbby23 and FEBbby23 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@frank, I understand that part;-) However, because of the use of 'she' it felt wrong. Does that make sense? Not talking to me, but about me. Glad to see that you think it was lost in translation. I'll keep it at that then ❤️ 

FEBbby23 and FEBbby23 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

I haven't said anything, but I've been having a few sleep issues myself.  I attribute most of it to the 1) fact that I haven't been working since March (and since August, I don't have a job to go back to), 2) I haven't been exercising much, if at all (I spend most of my days in front of my computer doing god knows what except wasting time), 3) I rarely leave the house except to go to the grocery store, and 4) I've had two major surgeries in the last four months and am still recovering from both.  I generally go to bed about 2 AM, get awakened by the cats at 6 (so I can feed them), and then sleep again until around 10 AM.  

I've also had a few bouts of muscular tension and pain near my right shoulder blade - nothing serious or continuous, just a few days here and there - but almost constant neck and shoulder tension that I have to consciously recognize and relax.  I can't say any of this is spiritually related though; just a general tension with regard to the current political/emotional situation in which we we all find ourselves embroiled.

Each time I think about doing meditations or anything like that, the thought in my mind is literally "I can't be bothered because I can't see how it will help, I just have to get through this like everyone else".

To be honest, my lethargy these last several months hasn't bothered me all that much. All of my needed medical procedures will be finished by the second week of December, so I'm just kind of on hold until all of that's done, and I've just had the internal feeling that this is just a time that I have to sit back, bide my time, and wait for...something, but I have no idea what. These last few days I have been antsy, mostly because I'm chafing at the bit to get back to doing something productive, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to do that.  I do hope it's soon, but I have the feeling that I will have to wait at least until after the first of the year, probably about the third week of January.  I have no idea why then, but that's the impression I got just now.  *shrug*  We'll see what happens.

TriciaCT, Coyote, FEBbby23 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

posted by @tbs:

And I feel really tired but also anxious or maybe unrestful inside. And that I have since two weeks.

I am very thankful for this topic and everything you all have shared.  Like many of you, I've had similar challenges with sleep lately.  Admittedly some problems have been of my own making, i.e. not going to bed when I'm sleepy, getting a "second wind," and then becoming too wired to get to sleep.  But recently and out of the blue, I've been jumpy with adrenaline surges.  It feels like free-floating anxiety, because many times I have no problems dozing in front of the TV.  But as soon as I retire to bed, the sleep problems return.  

@frank, I really appreciate what you shared about grounding. The evening before I read your post, I had a very bad night with anxiety, palpitations, adrenaline surges, and a racing brain (no particular, coherent thought ... just jumbled mush!).   My regular sleep "cocktail" of two tablespoons of CALM (powdered magnesium in water), 1/2 Benadryl, and 200 mg. of l-theanine just didn't cut it.  As I lie there, debating whether I should get up, I suddenly imagined (?) an angel or spirit standing at both ends of my body -- one holding her hands at the top of my head, and the other holding my feet.  I felt light energy enter through the top of my head and surge through the soles of my feet.  I also focused on the base of my spine connected to the bed.  As I visualized these spirits grounding me, I became less anxious and my palpitations reduced.  I fell asleep shortly thereafter.

I frequently wear fuzzy red socks to bed.  My feet are often cold and I'd once heard that red is grounding, so I figured that it couldn't hurt!  I also keep my bedroom at a very cool temperature and in pitch black darkness.  Because I have tinnitus, I always run a white noise machine.   

I'd mentioned earlier my sleep cocktail, which includes magnesium.  It does calm me, although I'd also like to try the topical magnesium oil or cream.  I was once told that taking Benadryl can contribute to dementia -- but then, so can not getting enough sleep!  So I figure that if 1/2 Benadryl helps with my allergies and helps me sleep, I'll take my chances.   I really like L-Theanine.  I take it in the Suntheanine form, which is supposed to be more absorbable.  My integrative physician recommended it.   I sometimes even take it during the day.  It doesn't make me sleepy; just relaxed.  I'm very sensitive to a lot of medications and even some natural supplements, so I approach everything with caution.   Melatonin makes me feel awful, even at a low dose (0.5), so I never take it.

earthangel, Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

I'm looking forward to reading a thread in a few months about the excellent sleep we'll be getting come January and February.

lowtide, Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

OK I haven't had difficulty sleeping but the last few nights I *have* had distinctly different sorts of dreams.  Usually my dreams are at least slightly lucid, but lately they are just the boring unconscious kind.  Maybe I am keeping my energies at home because it's too risky out there.  ???

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

posted by @coyote:

I'm looking forward to reading a thread in a few months about the excellent sleep we'll be getting come January and February.

Coyote, a funny thing happened as I read your post:  a picture of A Christmas Carol's Tiny Tim flashed in my head as I heard him say "God bless us, everyone!"  I know that Tim represents the stark, evil consequences of the heartless and soulless economic system at the time (sound familiar?), and I recognize that Tiny Tim's fate was dependent on Scrooge's change of heart.  I don't believe that  a change of heart will occur for T, his minions and many in the R party from this one election, so I initially found Tim's presence in my vision somewhat perplexing. 

I think my vision was telling me that we should still strive to be like Tim -- with hope, kindness, and acceptance of everyone, even those with whom we strongly disagree.  Hopefully, those words from Tim can become my hopeful, peaceful, nighttime blessing. ?

ghandigirl, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 gbs
(@gbs)
Famed Member Registered

For those who have mentioned the healing properties of lavender: When I'm having trouble sleeping, I'll apply a few drops of lavender essential oil to my fingertips and rub them gently on the center of the soles of my feet. It seems like I fall asleep within minutes.

earthangel, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@blackandwhite)
Noble Member Registered

@moonbeam

I was really aiming to make fun of the pun you made without realizing. I thought it was funny, but in no way shape or form did I want to make fun of you.

I want to say that "She" had nothing to do with it.  Things can be read out of context here quite easily so I apologise for not being more clear. 

Iridium and Iridium reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: