Notifications
Clear all

Wildfires

(@luminata)
Noble Member Registered

Time to bump this up unfortunately. Colorado lost several subdivisions a couple days ago. This in the heart of suburbia - at the end of December. Over 900 structures ( homes and businesses) lost. This my community. Front range Boulder suburbs. Days after Christmas. I've been horrified by the losses of entire communities in Ca, Australia, Oregon - too many to count. But when this hits in your backyard, it takes it to a new level. 

I'm currently searching for a new chapter of my life and a new place to live per higher guidance. Was avoiding costal living due to sea level rise, and looking for something not mountain because of fires. Kinda feel like there's no safe place. We have definitely hit the damned tipping point. So, how to power through this mess? 

Yes it all had to start locally - micro local. In our own homes. Trying, but feeling overwhelmed. Not sure micro local action can un- tip this.

FEBbby23, CC21, DannyBoy and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dolphinspirit)
Noble Member Registered

I am sorry for your loss. The extreme fires are difficult to explain unless you lived through them. Your question is my question. We lucked out with fire season this year, but I don’t think I could take another one.

I wish you exquisite alignment.

FEBbby23, Maggieci, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)
Illustrious Member Registered

@luminata Michigan has just undone 30 years of right wing gerrymandering. (Meaning it’s about to be the state it really is, not the state we were forced into in being in the 80s)  If you’re looking for bigger city areas - East Lansing, Grand Rapids, The burbs around Detroit are all wonderful.  And Kalamazoo was my favorite place I’ve ever lived (outside of my year near Kyoto Japan)

and if you’re looking for solitude Northern MI is fantastic especially since you’d be helping me “purple up the place” :-). 

honestly though light and love as you figure out the next steps!

FEBbby23, CC21, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@luminata I am so sorry about the extreme fires. I was watching the coverage and it is just horrible to see the devastation.

I am in Michigan like @dannyboy (I am in Ann Arbor, about 45 min west of Detroit) and he is right - lots of places, depending on what you prefer. Also, I was going to say the Great Lake states in general will be a good place to be for climate change (fresh water) and Jeanne has mentioned her visions of migration to the Great Lakes areas. Michigan has some amazing natural beauty, too. I just love visiting the lakes - something really special about them.

FEBbby23 and FEBbby23 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Bumping this thread.

The Fairview Fire is about 20 miles from my house (northeast). 19,000 acres. 5% contained. Fire-nado this morning. Two mile long fire line, moving west. Two dead. Many evacuations of humans and animals taking place.  108 degrees today with winds every afternoon around 20mph. We're expecting 35mph winds on Friday, along with thunderstorms and slightly lower temps.

We are not concerned, monitoring the situation via our phone alert apps. We'll be ok and if we need to evacuate it would more likely be due to grid shutdown (we have solar and powerwalls, but it's only good for a few hours, less still at night). We are all home or close by most of the time (house is never empty), so we'd be able to grab our pets and valuables and go either to a hotel by the coast or a friend's house down by San Diego.

My daughter got a good pic - taken from about a mile away from our house, up on a main road, looking east. I will try to attach it here.

Vesta, Unk p and Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)
Illustrious Member Registered

@laura-f   Yikes!  Stay safe!

Vesta, Lauren and LalaBella reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

UPDATE:  Hurricane Kay remnants have done a good job! The fire is up to 23,000 acres but is now 40% contained, also the winds did kick up nearly as much as everyone thought they would, so evac areas have been reduced.

I am wondering if this was arson, murder, or some kind of outdoor fire accident - definitely not from a power line/wind issue and the CalFire report says they are investigating, specifically the 2 deaths that occurred on day zero.

Danger has passed for now.

Iridium, Vesta and Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7
Share: