Notifications
Clear all

Wildfires

(@theungamer)
Famed Member Registered

@share I'm glad you are safe too, but your friends must be weary having to evacuate their safe space.  It's time for a little rain and calmer days.

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, Stargazer and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures ? 

ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

@grace ? 

Jeanne Mayell, Grace, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

Recently an unusual wildfire here threatened the small place where I live in the forests of No. NM ... it had consumed 10,000 acres and was only 9 miles away with heavy winds fanning the flames. They had the Hotshot crews coming in from California, and everyone was on the edge waiting for the mandatory evac notice .....

Like a miracle tho, on Sunday night it started to snow, and now the imminent danger is avoided. I felt intuitively that it would be ok, and tried not to give into 'herd panic' as so many of my neighbors here...

It's a terrible thing to go through, and honestly my first thought was for all wildlife so prolific in the forests ?

My heart goes out to everyone on the West Coast and Arizona and Colorado experiencing this....  please stand with me in a strong prayer for blessed rain and snow to put an end to the devastations, and soon !!! ?

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Unk p and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I was surprised to hear N. Dakota has been dealing with a grass wildfire due to drought.  

I didn't know they really got many wildfires, especially in early April.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/north-dakota-tourist-town-evacuated-because-wildfire-n1262893

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

I thought the sun looked rather orange and that it was hazier than usual here in Connecticut yesterday. It turns out wildfire smoke from Manitoba and Ontario settled over the NYC Tri-State area and forced the National Weather Service to issue air quality warnings. The sun was also very red this morning, but things are beginning to clear up as a cold front and rain showers move through. Media outlets are also saying the haze is from West Coast fires; as I told my brother in a text, "Everywhere is on fire."

Last year I remember there being one day that way hazy due to Western wildfires, and that was in early October. Things are speeding up.

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Vesta and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@coyote, I'm in Northern Virginia and we're being affected by some of the smoke here as well.  Such a strange haze.  The air quality is bad today.  I've also noticed I've been more fatigued with a scratchy throat and burning eyes.  I believe the cold front is supposed to come through here tomorrow.

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Vesta and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@coyote I noticed it too, in Eastern Massachusetts.  Thank you for figuring out why.

Vesta, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

We've been hazy for two weeks. Oddly, there's little smoke smell.

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, JourneyWithMe2 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

@polarberry 

Where do you live?

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@coyote 

Orrygone

ghandigirl, Unk p, Coyote and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry  that name makes me so sad... Oregon is such a beautiful place. Now that our rain and cooler temps have moved out ... we are hitting the 90's for highs again ... first time since early June.. and .. the smoke haze is now filling our air. Unlike when smoke from the Okefenokee was burning came up here , this has no smoke smell...just diffuses the sunlight and looks hazy. So saddened by the loss of life, human,animal and plant while so called " leaders of the country... are still fighting over Jan 6th. Migrant farm workers suffering in the heat to work/harvest crops, lack of potable water and foodstuffs killing off wildlife that managed to survive the flames, massive die offs due to injuries from said flames... the scope of it is overwhelming. I foresee rising prices and limited food stuffs and hardship all around as so many struggle through this time.

deetoo, Unk p, FEBbby23 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@journeywithme2 

How I wish I could disagree with anything you said. ☹️ 

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry   You and me both Sister

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@matildagirl)
Famed Member Registered

@deetoo @polarberry @Jeanne Mayell

Hi, I can relate to the smoke it brings back memories of the 2019/2020 bushfires here in NSW. I have attached a photo from my deck from Dec 2019. The fires went from Sept 2019 until mid Feb 2020. Finished just in time for us to go into lockdown for Covid.

I cant seem to get the photo to attach.

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, polarberry and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@matildagirl)
Famed Member Registered

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@matildagirl 

So gorgeous! They look like pink lemonade. I guess renewal can come out of the worst devastation.

That summer the fires were all over our news every night. Felt so terrible for the people and animals.

matildagirl, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@matildagirl,

Thank you for sharing those links. The beautiful pink flannel flowers gave me such a sense of peace and hope.  Laura Jones' painting is exquisite.

I'm holding everyone and everything affected by the fires in daily prayer.    

Unk p, matildagirl, Michele and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@matildagirl)
Famed Member Registered

@deetoo Hi deetoo. I went down to Sydney to the Archibald, Wynne & Suliman Prizes exhibition and I saw that painting and really liked it. It was the first time I knew of the pink flannel flowers, I am glad you enjoyed seeing them.

Regards

deetoo and deetoo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

The Bootleg Fire is 46% contained. So damned windy. God bless all firefighters.

Unk p and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share: