Black Lives Matter

Notifications
Clear all

Black Lives Matter

(@triciact)
Illustrious Member Registered

@deetoo

WOW Connie does need to go. His words moved me. Shopping during this meeting is just bad in so many ways. I would never do that in any meeting I was in, let alone this important. Thank you dearest Dee for posting this.

Lovendures, Lilinoe, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

This is an incredible opinion piece written by Caroline Randall Williams, a poet and writer in residence at Vanderbilt University.

You Want a Confederate Monument? My Body Is a Confederate Monument
The black people I come from were owned and raped by the white people I come from. Who dares to tell me to celebrate them?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/opinion/confederate-monuments-racism.html

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

For the first time in its 20-year history, Oprah Winfrey will not be the cover star of her namesake magazine.

Instead, the September issue's cover will pay tribute to Breonna Taylor, the 26-year-old Black woman who was killed by police.

"We can't be silent," Winfrey wrote in a statement accompanying the reveal. "We have to use whatever megaphone we have to cry for justice. And that is why Breonna Taylor is on the cover of O magazine. The September issue honors her life and the life of every other Black woman whose life has been taken too soon."

Breonna Taylor featured on Oprah Magazine's September cover - CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/media/breonna-taylor-oprah-magazine-cover/index.html

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, deetoo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

We have to be better than this!  

We have to fix this!

2 women and their 4 children were on an outing in Colorado to get their nails done when police pulled them over in a "high Risk" stop.  All were on the hot pavement, the ladies and 2 of their daughters were handcuffed  Their children were hysterical crying and screaming.  Guns were drawn.

“I want my mother,” one of them sobbed.

“Can I have my sister next to me?” another voice wailed. “Can I have my sister?”

It was a case mistake identity. Their car Wass not stolen but a motorcycle with the same plate number from a different state was reported stolen earlier in the day.  

The police chief apologized, tried to explain what happened and offered counseling services to the dramatized family.  

This is unacceptable!

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/video-shows-police-force-4-black-children-onto-ground-gunpoint-stolen-car-mix-up/OYBP33R7R5BUZJYD5UMP34ENSU/

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/08/04/aurora-police-high-risk-stop-video/

PamP, ghandigirl, Jeanne Mayell and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

A Washington Post video journalist captured the moment gunfire broke out at a protest in Kenosha, WI on Aug. 25, killing two people and seriously wounding another during a protest over the police shooting of Jacob Blake. Blake had been shot 7 times. 

The 17 year old suspected murderer was filmed walking by police with his hands up, long gun on his body,  yet no police stopped him.  . 

A Washington Post journalist who observed the scene saw the man with the rifle run by with a few protesters in pursuit after gunfire erupted about a block away. He tripped and fell, rolled into a sitting position, raised his gun and opened fire at his pursuers.

Carol Badoni from Burlington, Wis., started CPR on one wounded man. His girlfriend said his name is Ben.

Badoni added, “I never run toward trouble, but it’s worth getting shot for somebody else.”

Police soon took the wounded man to a hospital. Kenosha police did not immediately identify any of the shooting victims.

In protest to all that is happening, the Milwaukee Bucks in stunning protest boycotted playing their playoff game with the Orlando Heat who were warming up on the basketball court minutes from the game starting.  All 3 playoff games have been canceled for today.  It is unknown what will happen with the rest of the games.  

Warning, The article below also shows video which is extremely disturbing.  You might now want to view the actual video.

Jeanne Mayell, TriciaCT, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@lovendures

This is so disturbing on so many levels. I have friends who live in Kenosha. The first thing I did when I heard of the police shooting of an unarmed black man was call my friend and ask if him and his son were OK. My kids are mixed(black to everyone else), my wife is black, some of my friends are black, and the first thing I think when I hear of a police shooting is are the people I care about, who never have been in trouble, alive and ok. 

I shouldn't have to worry about police shooting people I know because those people don't break the law, yet I am terrified for them. I am terrified raising my kids because that could be them next. 

Now, not only are police murdering unarmed people because they are black, but now they are openly allowing white kids to carry and flaunt assault rifles(illegal for anyone under 18 to have). They are openly thanking armed civilian 17 year olds for being there without ever bothering to question why they are roaming the streets with weapons. They are openly supporting these terrorists by giving them water as they yell at the people peacefully protesting, who are screaming that the kid just killed people. 

This scene last night in Kenosha makes Portland look like child's play. 

As insignificant as sports should be, it seems that they are always the leaders in cultural change. From how Jackie Robinson led the way to MLK to the NBA closing for covid, that led the way to people paying attention and starting to close states, sports has an impact greater than it should. I am just so proud of the NBA, and some MLB teams, taking a stand and standing up for this. Hopefully it will ultimately lead to true change.

PamP, lenor, lowtide and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Um, I think it is the Magic, not the heat for the playoff game.  Sorry about that.

@mas1581

Thank you for your heartfelt words.  I have no idea what your fears as a parent must be, my imagining it can't come close to reality.

Posted by: @mas1581

Now, not only are police murdering unarmed people because they are black, but now they are openly allowing white kids to carry and flaunt assault rifles(illegal for anyone under 18 to have). They are openly thanking armed civilian 17 year olds for being there without ever bothering to question why they are roaming the streets with weapons. They are openly supporting these terrorists by giving them water as they yell at the people peacefully protesting, who are screaming that the kid just killed people. 

I simply can't understand this action.

Posted by: @mas1581

As insignificant as sports should be, it seems that they are always the leaders in cultural change. From how Jackie Robinson led the way to MLK to the NBA closing for covid, that led the way to people paying attention and starting to close states, sports has an impact greater than it should. I am just so proud of the NBA, and some MLB teams, taking a stand and standing up for this. Hopefully it will ultimately lead to true change.

When we look for the light in this situation, I find  light right here.  

Thanks for all you have written.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, lenor and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@lovendures

Honestly, I dont even know what my fear is like. Its surreal to me and I cant even fully comprehend what I'm feeling. I knew marrying a black woman would bring about issues in my relationship and as a parent, but neither of us ever thought it would be like this. 

PamP, lenor, deetoo and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@mas1581

There was a big "brew ha ha" a few years back when one of the big breakfast cereal companies featured a young girl who was bi-racial.  Apparently it hadn't been done before, a young bi-racial child featured in a commercial with both a black and a white parent.    She was absolutely adorable and I couldn't understand why it took so long for this type of commercial to be made.

Recently I noticed that there are now many commercials with families of mixed races being featured. I actually found myself smiling the other day when I realized how far we have come.  I believe that if I were to sit through commercials from the 80's now, they would seem odd and well, very white and  racist.  

The American family is filled with a beautiful rainbow of colors in all sorts of hues.

Thank goodness!

My hope is that by the time your children have children,  films, tv shows and commercials will not need to make an effort to be inclusive, it will be second nature because our society will be living a more inclusive and loving life.  

I look ahead to the day when your children will not have the same fears for their families as you have for yours today.  That they can marry whomever they wish without needing to consider the effect race will have on their relationships or factoring how race will impact their ability to freely live their lives. 

May that day come sooner than you dare dream to hope.

Sending you love and a big huge hug Mas ( M as in Michael). 

PamP, lenor, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@allyn)

Can I address the elephant in the room?

I am surprised that no one has called out Trump on his "I am the best president for African Americans ever" claim.  To those of you who are African American, is that really true?

Yes, there was low unemployment for everyone during most of Trump's term.  But he didn't build this economy.  He inherited it from the previous administration.

Further, do bigger paychecks make up for the fact that black people are being killed for being black?  Should we as Americans (black, white, Asian, etc.) accept 30 pieces of silver apiece to betray our neighbors?  So long as we have a good economy, who cares if Hispanic children are wrenched from their parents' arms at the border and left in cages?  Or that people can march around and be openly racist and sexist without punishment?  That African Americans are made to be afraid every time a police car pulls beside them because they know that they will be much more likely to die by that encounter than a person like me would?

And now we have a 17 year old Trump supporter (we know he is a Trump supporter, because there is footage and pictures of him in the front roll during a Trump rally on January 30) shooting protesters?  Why the heck is he even walking the streets in the first place!?  And with a gun!?

How has Trump made it better for Muslims (travel ban), American Indians (their land being taken away and/or companies coming in to drill), African Americans (being killed by those who are suppose to protect them), Asian Americans (with Trump screaming about China and blaming them for everything), women (enough said), elderly and at-risk Americans (who are at greater risk for Covid-19), and pretty much anyone who believes in kindness, corporation, compassion, etc.

But do African Americans really believe his lies?  Will enough of them forget everything he has done and vote for Trump?  

I really wish someone would ask how much a human life is worth.  For myself, I would rather live in poverty in a good, decent, nation than live rich in Trump's country.  I will not accept 30 pieces of silver to betray my neighbors, and I despise those who are willing to do it so cheaply.

PamP, lenor, deetoo and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Today Andrew Yang spoke with Jacob Blake Sr about his son Jacob Blake Jr who was shot 7 times by police.  

His son is conscious.  The first thing he said was "Daddy why did they shot me so many times?"  while weeping.  He is apparently still in restraints.  His father mentioned his son was in "chains".

I don't know if he is  in chains or simply restrained but I must ask "why does a paralyzed man need to be restrained in the hospital?"

PamP, Aheartbegins, TriciaCT and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@allyn

Its not an elephant in the room. Everyone who isn't drinking the spiked Trump kool-aid knows its bullshit. There are a few detached AAs(Kanye, Herman Cain, etc) that might buy into the BS, but most know its just one more line in his rolodex of "#@ to say so people are conned enough to vote for me." 

Its the only line he has. Everything else out of his mouth is racist and xenophobic. Doesn't matter how many sprinkles you coat a lump of feces in, its still just a pile of crap and anyone who doesn't worship Trump knows this.

PamP, lenor, JourneyWithMe2 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

@lovendures he is in police custody and handcuffed to the bed, I’m sure.

PamP, TriciaCT, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@lovendures this pains me so much.  My heart aches.  I'm a white woman, and I can't begin to know what this must feel like to people of color, but I am with everyone in my heart.  It just pains me in my soul.  I am praying that this horrid way of being will be healed and stop.  It hurts every human being when we hurt one of our own.  When will they understand this?  Love has to rule.  It's my prayer each day, that our hearts open and treat each other with love and compassion.  May God heal all those hearts, minds and bodies.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dolphinspirit)
Noble Member Registered

So today a friend I worked with for a few years posted about Bette Midler and Melania. Her point is democrats think T is anti immigrant but it’s really Democrat’s projecting. (Her family is from the Middle East) she continued with how we are the racists ones after all T’s daughter is engaged to an Arab. So, I ignored this for a day and then I responded. I explained that birtherism from T and his wife was race baiting, and I didn’t think we should pretend otherwise. 

I have no idea where the line is in responding, holding back or walking away. Surely by now, no one is changing their mind are they? Speaking up in uncomfortable spaces is on my mind. What conclusions or insights have you come to?

PamP, TriciaCT, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

I want to share information about protocol with those who come to the hospital in law enforcement custody.

If they have just been arrested and are drunk, hurt, or in a mental health crisis, they have to be medically cleared before they can be taken to jail. They come in shackled at the ankles and in handcuffs accompanied by two officers. This is law enforcement protocol. It doesn’t matter if the patient is awake and alert or unconscious, they are cuffed and shackled.

If they come in from a correctional institution, they are handcuffed and shackled and attended by two prison safety officers. 

Those in custody will be handcuffed and shackled to the bed rail and the officers will stay at the bedside throughout the entire ED or hospital stay.

You are going to hear a lot about this in the media, but right or wrong, this is how it is done in every circumstance, every time.

PamP, FEBbby23, Vesta and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

PamP, LalaBella, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@jsr78

Not a coincidence.  

The question becomes, what will they do now?  I mean, repairing and replacing it on top of that marker would be even more dividing.  An additional marker can go up to describe what happened and the fall statue can go in a museum.

PamP, jsr78, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@lowtide thank you for explaining the protocol.  It doesn't seem right at all in this instance.  Maybe it's time to change or evaluate.   Maybe many of the cases fall into this category, but for a man who is paralyzed seems exceptionally cruel.  He cannot walk therefore the cuff is unnecessary.  I realize this is a hot subject but thank you for explaining.

PamP, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

@febbby23  I understand and believe me, I hate seeing the cuffs, hearing the chains rattle and working around them.  I just hope this matter of police protocol in the hospital doesn't become a hot political issue, at least not right now.  I would rather they be restrained than have them lash out, or appear to lash out, and have them badly hurt because they made a sudden move.

As an aside, I had an inmate patient recently who thanked me for treating him so kindly, and he started crying.  This happens often.  It breaks my heart.  I always try to give them extra time and focus my attention on them because they are treated like cattle in prison.

One more observation...there are SO MANY sick people in prison.  It's incredibly sad.

PamP, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: