Black Lives Matter

(@febbby23)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lowtide thank you for being kind.

Vesta, Aheartbegins, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

@febbby23 you’re welcome. It’s the very least a nurse can do. 

Vesta, Aheartbegins, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@jsr78

Please, please, please let a Democrat say that the toppled monument was God's will and punishment for supporting Trump. 

JourneyWithMe2, jsr78, LalaBella and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

As far as Blake being shackled to the bed, they have been removed and his warrant has been recinded. Police have left his room as well. 

As Allyn said, this is standard protocol so the fact that they removed them and dropped the warrants is odd to me. 

lenor, JourneyWithMe2, lowtide and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

@mas1581 I think half the people on twitter were saying it was an act of God, the other half it was an act of Mother Nature. 

Unk p and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Jacob Blake's father spoke to CNN today. He spoke about his son and about Trump. 

Trump said earlier today: "I did speak to the pastor, a wonderful man, the family's pastor." He also  said they (Trump and the pastor)  had a great talk .

Jacob Blake Sr.  said the family doesn't have a family pastor.  

Jacob Blake Sr. has received threats and they have needed to change hotels.

His 20 year son has been hospitalized due in part to depression.

He spoke of having 2 justice systems in America with the contrast to how 17 year old Rittenhouse was treated after he shot 3 people and how his son was treated getting  shot 7 times. 

He also said his  son is "moving into a better situation" from the waist up.  

Separately, Trump has not condemned Rittenhouse, in fact he stood up for him today.

Non of this is a surprise of course.

lenor, TriciaCT, Moonbeam and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Updating to add that it is now reported that his mother's pastor was the one contacted by Trump.  

TriciaCT and TriciaCT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

White US professor admits she has pretended to be Black for years | Race | The Guardian

"A seasoned activist and professor of African American history at George Washington University has been pretending to be Black for years, despite actually being a white woman from Kansas City.

In a case eerily reminiscent to Rachel Dolezal, Jessica A Krug took financial support from cultural institutions such as the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture for a book she wrote about fugitive resistance to the transatlantic slave trade.

But according to a Medium post allegedly written by Krug herself, her career was rooted in a “toxic soil of lies”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/03/jessica-krug-white-professor-pretended-black

ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

I read this article today, and I have not been reading a lot of news. I happen to see the headline and it drew me in. It's about a woman who looks white but is actually black and what she's endured her whole life because no one realized she was black. The comments from anyone and everyone who spoke outwardly with racism in their heart. 

I myself am white, but have always been empathic toward my black sisters and brothers. I am socially friends with people who have made the kind of comments at parties etc. that this woman has had to endure. It pains me to even think how she had to hold her tongue way too many times. I worked with a black man years ago who lived in a nicer neighborhood than I did. His wife was a an Executive director and he was a manager that I worked for. He would get stopped going to his own home all the time for "driving while black". It made me very angry for him and his wife. I hope the next decade starts to heal this divide in our country.

When I was a child, I was bullied and teased by the kids in my school. One of the only black children in my class, his name was John, used to walk me home because he wanted me to be safe from those kids. He was a gentle soul and yet he and his family moved away because of the racism he endured in our mostly white town. I cried for them. I pray for the healing of our entire nation!☮️

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/white-passing-black-woman-racism-130000487.html

ghandigirl, lenor, Lovendures and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Breonna Taylor case - 1 officer, Brett Hankison, indicted  with 3 counts of first -degree wanton endangerment. The other 2 officers not charged. This from grand jury proceedings.

Mixed bag.  I think the protesting will ignite again at least to some extent.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna-taylor-decision-announcement-expected-grand-jury-louisville/

lenor, FEBbby23, lenor and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

I take my statement of a "mixed bag" back.That was too generous of me.

Wow!  The wanton endangerment charge was for shooting into OTHER apartments.  Not at Breonna.

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron (R) said Wednesday that while Taylor’s death in March was “a tragedy,” the two Louisville police officers who fired into her apartment and struck her were justified in using deadly force because they had been fired upon by her boyfriend.

"There is no evidence that any shots fired by former detective Brett Hankison struck her, while some of his bullets did strike a nearby apartment, which at that time was occupied by a pregnant woman, a child and a man, Cameron said at a news briefing Wednesday.

Hankison was indicted by a grand jury on three counts of wanton endangerment for the shooting, which stemmed from his bullets striking the neighboring apartment, Cameron said."

I would like to note that Cameron spoke at the RNC convention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/23/breonna-taylor-charging-decision/

lenor, FEBbby23, lenor and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

I watched a clip last month of a black man who was talking about what he's had to teach his sons about being pulled over, how to protect themselves.

We talked about it at dinner. We taught our sons that if pulled over, cooperate, be polite, show your license and registration, ect, but we never had a conversation about how to stay safe. It wasn't something we even thought about, because we're white.

We had talked about racial profiling from time to time, and it's always made us mad, and we made comments about how unfair and wrong it is, but the BLM movement has really made us more consistently aware of the crap people of color have to deal with in their daily lives that white people don't.

We have to do better. It's long overdue.

JourneyWithMe2, Lovendures, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@polarberry

Wow! Such an important point and discussion .

One of those really big 'aha' moments each and every one of us should be, and truly needs to think deeply about and share and talk about on our journey of understanding in the deepest sense of that word 

JourneyWithMe2, Lovendures, Barbara and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@polarberry

Black people tend to refer to that as "the talk" and its been commonplace in black families for decades. My wife and her brothers got it from their parents and we are getting ready to have it in a couple years with our 8 year old daughter even though she is light skinned mixed. Hopefully we dont have to have it with the 2 year old twin boys we are adopting but Im sure we will because there won't be enough time to fully change in the right direction.

lenor, JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

So sad. I have to be equally protective of one of my children for a different reason so I do understand to a degree. It's one of the main reasons I have such a burning hatred for T.

I am excited for you, adopting and twins! Super cool!!

lenor, JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Attica Scott, the law maker who wrote Breonna's Law was arrested last night and charged with a felony.  She was live streaming at the time, trying to get to a church before curfew happened.  They say she set fire to a library but reports say video indicates when she passed by the library it was fine.

This feels very dark to me.  How the police stood in front of the church blocking people from entering and how there had to be a negotiation to allow those inside to leave. 

Very disturbing.

https://wfpl.org/protesters-arrested-outside-downtown-church-offering-refuge-to-protesters/

https://www.wave3.com/2020/09/25/ky-rep-attica-scott-discusses-moments-leading-up-arrest-felony-charge/

Share, DolphinSpirit, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

Please note :  Daniel Cameron is Mitch McConnell in black face.  He ran for office with no trial experience, endorced by Mitcha nd the Orange clown promising Judiace for all races.  He lied to the black community in Ky and now they are paying for it.  There was an article in the Washington Post yesterday by Radley Balko (i'm not tech savy enough to post a link).  He did research and interviews and wrote on"Correcting the misinformation about Breonna Taylor.  It is an excellant article.  I live in Louisville and the vile rumors and theories that have been posted are nothing short of disgusting   I had a  friend who went to the march Wednesday and was shoved into the street by police then beaten for being off the sidewalk. The White Supremist thugs were here in force and helping to beat people.  The police egged them on.  The Louisville  police department has been a disgrace for years.  Last night I noticed a campaign ad for Mitchy where a policy officer in uniform was badmouthing Amy McGraft and saying she encouraged violence and was anti-law and order.  He stated she was too Liberal for Kentucky.  that has been  Mitchys slogen for the last month  I'm afraid that Mitch willbe reelected,not because we Dems haven't worked hard to get the word out.  Amy has been traveling the state talking to everyone she can and spreading the tth about Mitchy. Unfortunity since we have the lowest education level as well as every other measurable deficiet , the ignorant just don't listen.  The uneducated in  the rural areas of Ky don't believe a women should leave the home much less run for office.  It doesn't matter that Mitch has cut food stamps, closed hospitals and cut medical services and well as medicaid benefits to the bone.  They will still vote for him because he is a rich white man and he tells them to.  I was born and raised in  the Commanwealth we fight as hard as we can but we never win. It is so frustrating.

The only encouragment I have gotten is the fact I have seen NO yard signs for Mitch or Trump in any of the neighborhoods that I frequent.  Ialso found out right after RBG  died Amy's campaign received  a record number of contributions.

Every morning when I wake up Iie in bed and visualize Biden and Harris being sworn in and Amy standing onthe podium onelection night raising her arms in victory.  It's  about all I can do except VOTE! 

Enkasongwriter, lenor, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@liln22)
Prominent Member Registered

@yogagirl I agree these ads are very frustrating. I cringe everytime one of his ads comes on with that singsonging voice going "Amy" and then saying how she is lying. The softer ads where he gave the appearance of respecting her service but then show servicemen or police who then say how she is too inexperienced actually shows how he puts her down (as a woman, her experience and her intelligence). I am so tired of the dirty politics. I literally talk back to tv every single time a Mitch McConnell ad comes on. What every happened to just stating you own points and what your own platform is and what you actually stand for.....  It reminds me alot of the Anne Northup and John Yarmuth battles.

lenor, deetoo, lenor and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

@LilN22 how true!  I’m glad I’m not the only one yelling at my tv.  I try to just mute it but it makes me so mad.  Did you notice that Cameron didn’t have his press conference until the white supremist terrorist were in town?  Mitch and his fellows are so anti women’s rights it isn’t even funny.

lenor and lenor reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

@yogagirl

Thank you for explaining how and why Kentucky actually votes for Moscow Mitch. It's so sad that people vote against their own well being!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: