Notifications
Clear all

The Vaccine - Many issues to discuss

(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @enkasongwriter

@journeywithme2 @ana My psyche has been telling me that Omicron is the last of COVID, where the symptoms are usually mild. When a virus only causes mild symptoms such as colds, body aches, or at worst fever, it spells the harbinger of the end of the pandemic.

I got Omicron last June after having my second booster in May. Was sick for a solid month with flu, then pnuemonia-like symptoms. I know others who had similarly serious response. Unfortunately I am not finding Omicron to be a light, fading variant!! I only wish it had been so...

ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)
Illustrious Member Registered

@isabelle 

I am so sorry to hear that..I hope you are feeling much better now.

ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

Got my next Vax. That was a long two months to have to wait since having Covid. Next up flu shot in two weeks and I can now safely visit my mom. She is 90 and I have been anxious to see her. I last went five months ago on my birthday. 

Maggieci, raincloud, tybin and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

News coming out from the FDA regarding COVID 19 bivalent boosters suggests vaccine advisors are upset. 

Government scientists and the pharmaceutical company Moderna didn’t present a set of infection data on the company’s new Covid-19 booster during meetings last year when the advisers discussed whether the shot should be authorized and made available to the public.

That data suggested the possibility that the updated booster might not be any more effective at preventing Covid-19 infections than the original shots. 

I think this is going to be a heated topic for discussion for the upcoming January 26th Covid -19 vaccine FDA meeting.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/11/health/moderna-bivalent-transparency/index.html  

Vesta, Lauren and Maggieci reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@lovendures  as an adjunct to your post :  

Data Doesn’t Support New COVID-19 Booster Shots for Most.

https://apple.news/AEzmhWDWvScS7ZyEUA1DQtA

Vesta reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lovendures To be clear, they are not saying that boosters aren't effective, since immunity from these vaccines wears off over time. They are saying that updated boosters don't give more immunity than just getting a booster of the original shot.  But I think they all agree that getting boosted is good. Correct?

Vesta, Maggieci and Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@jeanne-mayell

That is correct Jeanne.

The data which was given to the advisors for review was regarding immunogenicity data – which was based on blood work done on study participants to assess how well each vaccine elicited antibodies that fight off the Omicron strain of the virus.  That data showed greater antibody production with the bivalent booster.  The data which wasn't presented to the advisors was very limited in nature with few participants and was about actual infections, not antibody levels. It did not show a greater benefit for those taking the newer booster.

The experts said their vote would not have changed even with this other set of data as the data was so limited in scope.  However, they were concerned about transparency as they felt it should have been presented.

This caught my attention as the FDA will be discussing Covid -19 vaccines in a meeting with experts on January 26th.  I would not be surprised if "transparency" was discussed by those present.  You lose credibility without transparency.  Those "T's" must be crossed and those "I's" dotted.  

I will be basing my next move on what comes out of this meeting.  I was due for my bivalent booster around Thanksgiving but had a bad round of the flu for a few weeks and did not want to get booster until I was well.  Planned on after Christmas but by New Year I got sick again and still have a horse voice and some coughing so I am waiting.  Neither were Covid. I also had the flu vaccine, my first ever. 

As @Journeywithme2 noted, this new Kraken variant doesn't seem to care if you have been vaccinated or not.  Nor does it seem to matter if you had Covid previously. It still infects you.  I hope the FDA will be providing some up to date guidance.  I am wearing a mask when out and about regularly right now.  

Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@ghandigirl 

Many thanks!

Lauren and ghandigirl reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Confusing news about Covid vaccines and boosters over the past few days. 

1. Today it was reported that the Pfizer bivalent  booster might increase stroke incidents slightly for people over the age of 65 slightly during the 21 days after their vaccination. There will be much discussion on this at the upcoming FDA Covid vaccine meeting later this month.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-says-pfizers-bivalent-covid-shot-may-be-linked-stroke-older-adults-2023-01-13/

2.  The Washington Post is reporting there is no increase risk of stroke however after the FDA dove deeper into this possible issue.  This also was reported today.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-says-pfizers-bivalent-covid-shot-may-be-linked-stroke-older-adults-2023-01-13/

3.   2 days ago A key pediatric adviser on the FDA's vaccine panel meeting later this month, Dr. Paul Offitis, questioned whether more Covid booster shots are necessary for healthy, younger people because of underwhelming evidence they are more helpful than the old vaccines.  He believes the bivalent booster should only be used for older people, people with multiple coexisting conditions and those who are immunocompromised.  This opinion goes against current recommendations from both the CDC and FDA.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/younger-healthy-people-dont-need-another-covid-booster-vaccine-expert-rcna65324

@seaholly wrote the following (and other interesting thoughts) during our Covid Challenge experiment.  Perhaps what has been happening over the past few days is indicative of how the upcoming meeting FDA advisory meeting for Covid vaccinations will go on the 26th of January.

The WHO, FDA and other authorities:

I felt a resistance by top medical authorities to acknowledge publicly what they know to be true concerning how to deal with covid. These senior authorities in charge felt very heavy, almost like a dead weight. I saw and heard furious discussions behind closed door. I felt anxiety, frustration and anxiety from many in the health community as to their powerlessness over those making important decisions. -Seaholly

Maggieci and Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bbmom2019)
Reputable Member Registered

@lovendures COVID is still an evolving situation. Normally when drugs and vaccines are developed the disease is generally stable, making it easier to evaluate the proposed treatments for benefit-risk. Even in that scenario there is debate over the data.  What we are witnessing are folks trying to decide where to draw a line on a moving target.

The best we can do is avoid the virus (mask), limit interactions based on your personal health/risk tolerability/circumstance, and vaccinate if your medical condition/health status allow. 

ghandigirl, Lauren, lowtide and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@bbmom2019 

Excellent point and a great reminder that the other diseases which vaccines are normally developed are not evolving like this one.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Page 25 / 25
Share: