Notifications
Clear all

Beirut

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I am sure by now you have seen footage of the huge explosion in Beirut  earlier today.  

It was felt all the way in Cyprus, 150 miles away across the sea.

There are some unimaginable videos in this Beirut explosion coverage at The Guardian.  There is the terrifying interview a BBC journalist was conduction virtually when the explosion happened and another of a church service that was live streaming.  Some many videos caught this horrific event.  

Every single ambulance in the nation was asked to come to the city.  Hospitals can't use used as they are too heavily damaged.   country already under economic hardship has now lost multiple silos of grain stored at the port.  

Prayers for the people of Beirut, now more than ever.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/aug/04/beirut-explosion-huge-blast-port-lebanon-capital

PamP, deetoo, villager and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Yes, I saw the videos. Just awful. Apparently it was old explosives for their government that was not properly disposed of. Israel has denied sabotage and offered to send assistance.

PamP, villager, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)
Illustrious Member Registered

As I'm sure many other people have done, I gasped at how much the explosion resembled a miniature nuclear detonation. I'm only getting at how much devastation is conveyed in those few seconds.

I've been feeling the potential to start crying for several weeks, and I did tear up when I saw that photo via the Guardian of the maternity ward nurse with 3 infants, plus the BBC interview. Crisis on top of crisis. This is what the Great Unravelling looks like.

PamP, JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@coyote  I began to wail when I saw that picture of the nurse holding the 3 babies...and people just lying in the streets ...... I so want to hide and not come out for years right now!!!

PamP, villager, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  
Here is a link (below) of the story  about the picture  photo journalist Bilal Jawich took of the nurse at her destroyed hospital. There is no doubt about the fact that a higher power helped all 4  yesterday. 

I love the term "professional intuition" too. 
"I was amazed when I saw the nurse holding three newborns," Jawich said. "I noticed the nurse's calm, which contrasted the surrounding atmosphere just one meter away." Several dead and injured people lay nearby, he said.
Read more on this story

"However, the nurse looked like she possessed a hidden force that gave her self-control and the ability to save those children. People stand out amidst these violent and dark and evil circumstances and this nurse was up to the task," he said.

Jawich said the nurse told him later that evening that she was in the maternity ward when the blast hit. She said she had been knocked unconscious, and when she came around "found herself carrying these three children," he told CNN Arabic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/middleeast/beirut-nurse-newborns-hospital-intl/index.html

Vesta, villager, JourneyWithMe2 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 MMA
(@meliaamal)
Prominent Member Registered

@lovendures, @coyote, @JourneyWithMe2, @laura-f

I am from Lebanon, and my entire extended family (on my dad's side) lives in the moutnains just outside of Beirut. To say the least, yesterday was devastating. My family is safe, though all suffered some property damage ranging from mild to severe. 

I also wept yesterday. And like you @coyote, I had felt something coming for a while, (I also had this feeling right before Covid hit - both times, I was obsessively checking the news for a few days/weeks, as if I knew something big was going to happen).

I lived in Beirut in the early 2000s when it was rising from the ashes of war. It has since been run into the ground by corrupt politicians and bankers (sound familiar?). This idiotic accident couldn't be happening at a worse time, when the Lebanese lira is almost worthless, the quarantine has wiped out the country's main source of income (tourism), and people are already starving. I wept for all that was and all that seems like it will never be. And I truly felt like "just when you think things can't get worse..."

But I also have to believe we're all here, on this earth, at this time, to witness this unraveling and rebirth, and this is (somehow) what we signed up for, and the story isn't over yet. If, somehow, this tragedy in Lebanon could end up with an overthrow of their corrupt government, . . .

I read a beautiful short op-ed that captured the beauty of the Lebanese people and reminded me that through tragedy we can love and uplift each other, and find the best in ourselves and those around us: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/world/middleeast/beirut-lebanon-explosion.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-1fdae9ed

Vesta, villager, Frank and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

@lovendures

I was captivated by the photo of the nurse. In the midst of the photos of destruction, confusion, and despair, the nurse with the three newborns was so beautiful and full of hope.

villager, JourneyWithMe2, villager and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

@meliaamal My heart goes out to you.

villager, MMA, villager and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@meliaamal

I am so sorry your family is dealing with such a tragic event, on top of existing hardships in Lebanon.    Thank you for sharing about your loved ones. My hope is that they will find their strength and live to see a more peaceful, happy and stable Lebanon in their lifetime.  I also hope you will be able to return for a visit and make new joy filled memories.  

Prayers for Lebanon. 

Grace, villager, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 MMA
(@meliaamal)
Prominent Member Registered

@lovendures, @grace

Thank you so much. You truly are light workers, and your empathy is astounding. 

Grace and Grace reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

Here is the link to the Lebanese Red Cross, if you wish to donate:

https://www.supportlrc.app/donate/donate.html

MMA, Grace, MMA and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: