Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Rooftop Revolving Lounge Part II

(@unk-p)
Illustrious Member Registered

laura f. is making Mole Tacos?     And just like dang! the Revolving Lounge is cooking!  Is there an ImpossiMole  version for all the vegans out there?

Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
(@unk-p)

@jeanne-mayell   i noticed that the Spinning Wheel link was defunct now,  but here is a nice spinning Santana video https://youtu.be/mbckI715aKY

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@jeanne-mayell Sorry - that's what comes from living 15 minutes from Mexico...

Best way to toast tortillas is to warm a skillet (iron is best) to medium heat, put a tortilla in, turn after 2 minutes, remove after 2 more minutes. Keep warm in oven or toaster oven on low setting til ready to use.

Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
(@laura-f)

@unk-p 

Just sub or eliminate the dairy elements. Maybe puree the avocado with some lime juice and oil or Vegenaise to make it slightly more liquidy.

Or skip the crema entirely and sub guac.

Unk p, Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
(@laura-f)

I've missed everyone too and I'm sorry for the absence. It's been a rough 3-4 months. Today was the first chance I've had to check back in.

Did a big house reno, had to move out for it. There was a lot of chaos with that which literally only ended this morning.

I also have a concerning but not life threatening health issue and am gearing up for a surgery next month.

And as I watch our country go down the tubes faster each week, my depression keeps flaring up and some days I just can't interact with anyone, not even my husband.  He told me he'd consider a relo to Canada if things "get bad" but he keeps moving the goalposts, so I'm sure it will never happen, and we'll both be too old for a big move like that anyway soon.  I also looked into Italian Birthright Citizenship, but it's way expensive and no guarantee I'd get it, so why bother at this point.

I have a close friend who is indigenous and just got back from the Pipeline 3 protests (she spent a night in jail there). Listening to her recount her experience makes me lose more hope.

And sorry to hijack the thread -- I cede the floor by raising my glass in toast to all of you! CinCin!

Coyote, Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell and 11 people reacted
(@polarberry)

Bluebelle,

I am seriously laughing my ass off here. That recipe sounds so incredibly delicious!

This is how a native New Yorker (me) makes a quick lunch dish of shrimp and grits. Boil shrimp. Boil quick-cooking grits. Stir in a bit of cream, add shrimp, top with butter, scallions and cajun seasoning.

When are you flying up here to make that for me?? ? 

JourneyWithMe2, Lovendures, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

@jeanne-mayell  I stayed summers with my Grandmother in Charleston,SC. We would eat shrimp and grits before they became a national rage. To us it was an easy and tasty way to make a little shrimp go a long way. You can go from basic to fancy and regional from East Coast to Bayou. From the original plain cooked grits to the gussied up with fancy cheeses grits.

Today? I take Jim Dandy grits (Or you can order specialty grits online) and cook them with half water/half whole milk and a spoon of bouillon either chicken or seafood base. I use Gulf Coast Wild caught shrimp (from Aldi) and prepare them from basic to fancy... I.E. pan fry in a bit of butter (grass fed like Kerry Gold) or in a bit of bacon fat if doing the most basic with the bacon crumbled. You can sauté onions, bell peppers, green onions, garlic etc.. depending on how you want to eat it.

I would recommend trying the basic recipe first, then branch out to your personal tastes additions.

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/how-to-make-classic-shrimp-and-grits/

https://www.southernliving.com/kitchen-assistant/sunday-supper-shrimp-and-grits

Or..if you like and wanted to... you CAN buy ready made packets of the seasonings and grits from here https://www.gullahgourmet.com . Around here their products are also available from Amazon and Walmart. You just have to buy and add your fresh/frozen shrimp.

It is more economical to make your own tho.

Bon Appetite ❤️ 

Jeanne Mayell, kksali, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

@bluebelle  I'm in.. and I'll bring my Alabama Firecracker crackers, and some cheeses.

https://www.southernliving.com/firecrackers-recipe

FYI: DO complete step 4. It make them irresistible... and ...addictive!

Unk p, Jeanne Mayell, kksali and 5 people reacted
(@kksali)
Noble Member Registered

@bluebelle 

We lived in SC for 13 years. Nothing like some South Carolina shrimp and grits.  And we got married on the Isle of Palms outside on the beach. The beaches are magical. As long as it’s the month of April and not August…?

Music - Sweet Caroline.

And Bourbon slushes

Unk p, Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

@kksali   and doing the Shag :-)

Unk p, BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
(@kksali)
Noble Member Registered

@journeywithme2 oh yes.  

I remember it well and this - 
It was august. We were visiting friends at the IOP the first time I had a Bourbon slushie.  My friends Dad said to me “honey - have you never had a Bourbon Slushie”.  He turns to his wife and says “ well darlin we have to fix that…”.  It was 101 and felt like 40 hells with the humidity but then along came his famous slushie”. ???

Unk p, Iridium, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
(@kksali)
Noble Member Registered

@journeywithme2  @bluebelle

i am making shrimp and grits this weekend!  You have inspired me! 
I also buy the wild caught frozen shrimp from Aldi.   And their wild caught frozen salmon.  

yay its summer and we are cooking it up in the kitchen! ?

BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

@kksali  Love it!!!

(@bluebelle)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@journeywithme2 @kksali @Jeanne-Mayell

I did make the shrimp and grits last night for friends here in the Pacific Northwest and I do believe we have converts!  It was a big hit.  We lived just north of Charleston for 6 years and did our very best to eat shrimp and grits all over town.  The Isle of Palms Cajun style recipe has our vote, but to be honest, I liked every version we ever came across.  Now I have to add a bourbon slushie to my “must try” list!

kksali, JourneyWithMe2, kksali and 1 people reacted
(@kksali)
Noble Member Registered

@bluebelle @journeywithme @jeannemayell

I must say - i dont think Ive ever had shrimp and grits i didn’t love!

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

@kksali  same girl, same. I was raised on a see food diet... you see food you eat it. TBS ? It was real food, not a lot of processed or fast foods.

kksali, BlueBelle, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
(@unk-p)

Posted by: @laura-f

And sorry to hijack the thread -- I cede the floor by raising my glass in toast to all of you! CinCin!

this is an open thread, hijacking it is strongly encouraged! ? ? ? ? 

JourneyWithMe2, Lovendures, BlueBelle and 7 people reacted
(@ana)

@jeanne-mayell   I made your pasta frittata tonight using spaghetti noodles leftover from last weekend's spaghetti and meatballs.  It was good!  The family approves.  Thanks!

JourneyWithMe2, Lovendures, BlueBelle and 9 people reacted
(@unk-p)

Hope everyone is having a happy Pride month!  You may have seen this story about a family who were out on a lake, with rainbow flags flying from their boat. Another boat pulled along side them and started screaming epithets at them. Then, the gaybashers started circling the rainbow boat, making waves and flipping them off. But Goddess don't like ugly, and that boat exploded! The Pride celebrators plucked those Magats from the sea, and saved their sorry asses. They went high, when others went low. Pretty sure if that had happened to me, instead of throwing a life raft, i would have just tossed Mardi Gras beads, or something. And then cackled, like a maniacal gay witch. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/juliareinstein/boat-explodes-pride-flag-moses-lake-washington

JourneyWithMe2, Coyote, Iridium and 9 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@ana I got it from Mark Bittman of The NY Times Cooking section. He said if you use spaghetti noodles, be sure to let some of them stick up at the top so they get crispy.  

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6791-pasta-frittata

JourneyWithMe2, Iridium, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
Page 2 / 27
Share: