Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Rooftop Revolving Lounge Part II

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

This is @unkp's lounge. He founded it, so I dedicate RRL-2 to him. It's an incredible night here in the northeast - full moon (or almost), windy and warm.  Perfect night to be out.

RRL got too long to navigate which is why I started part 2.  

Here is how @unkp started part 1:

Welcome . 

This is an open thread. 

Feel free to discuss any old thing at all

oh yeah

the Leonid Meteor Showers for tonight have already started.  They are expected to go... until dawn. 

Please go outside and see them, right now,  if you can. 

And, of course,   some music,     to get things going:

Spinning Wheel

https://youtu.be/U12srfQS-e o

(shoutout to @lynnventura and @rowsella ,

from the fab @michele-b 11:11 thread)

Again,   This is a free range, open thread:

Michele, deetoo, Unk p and 9 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I was hearing the crows making a racket in the forest today and I wondered what they were up to so I googled it and ended up reading the most wondrous story about a little girl who had a friendship with a flock of crows. She started feeding then regularly and they started leaving her little gifts. The gifts are precious, all small trinkets that fit in a crow's mouth. Then one day her mother was out photographing some birds and she dropped her lens cap and lost it. A few days later the lens cap reappeared on the bird bath where the crows usually leave gifts.  They rewound their bird cam and saw the crow bringing it to the bird bath, cleaning it, and leaving it for them. https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026 Below are some of the gifts the crows brought her:

1624336774-Screen-Shot-2021-06-22-at-123906-AM.png

tybin, earthangel, deetoo and 15 people reacted
(@barbarmar22)
Prominent Member Registered

Love this story. Is this where I read about the crow whisperer?

https://harpers.org/archive/2021/04/the-crow-whisperer-animal-communicators/

Lovendures, deetoo, Unk p and 13 people reacted
(@bluebelle)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@jeanne-mayell I needed to hear this about crows.  Last summer, the crows had a big party in the trees behind my house, just a squawking and a carrying on.  I even videotaped it, it was so amazing.  Next step:  I need to befriend them.

deetoo, Unk p, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
(@bluebelle)

Hey y’all, I’m making shrimp and grits tonight and wish you could all come on over.  I’ve been craving Low Country cooking and it’s been nearly three years since I moved away.  However, I have a recipe from a favorite restaurant back there and feel like throwing a party.  Who’s game?  I need suggestions for drinks and apps.  What are y’all bringing?  It’s not a Southern party on the Rooftop Revolving Lounge without deviled eggs and pimento cheese with Ritz crackers.  What music shall we have?  Come on, y’all.  You know you want to join in.

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, kksali and 13 people reacted
(@lauren)
Estimable Member Registered

@bluebelle Crows love unsalted peanuts.

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, Unk p and 7 people reacted
(@polarberry)
Illustrious Member Registered

@bluebelle 

gawd this is so weird. I almost made shrimp and grits for lunch today.

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, Lauren and 7 people reacted
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

2016 was a time when my aunt showed her true colors, where she uses her beliefs to support far-right causes. I feel that her past life is where she was a sympathizer of fascism and my grandma and her were soul mates in past lives.

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@bluebelle I am going to make a pasta frittata.  Third night in a row. I made up a huge batch of GF pasta for a family reunion and I'm using up the last of it tonight.  

While assembling ingredients, Put a cast iron or whatever skillet into a 350 degree oven -- make sure it's got 2 T of melted butter or oil.

Put all these ingredients together in a bowl:

• 3-4 T melted butter or olive oil
  • Half pound day old cooked pasta chopped up
  • A cup of shredded cheese - parma or whatever or even vegan cheese works
  • Six eggs.  
  • Then add whatever leftover veggies you have around.  Last night I added chopped sweet red bell peppers (any color is fine). I sliced some tomatoes and laid them on top. Night before I added broccoli and bell peppers. 
  • Herbs fresh cut from the garden: dill, parsley, baby spinach, chives. Or dried is okay too.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

Take the skillet from the oven and add the ingredients. It may sizzle. Good!

• Then sprinkled the top with extra cheese, and I also added optional GF crispy bread crumbs.
  • Now cook over the stove top on medium heat for about five minutes before putting into the oven for about ten minutes or until all is cooked. 

I actually doubled this recipe because I had so much pasta, and it was great! Along with a salad, I fed five hungry adults  with leftovers for breakfast. 

Now I'd like to know how to make shrimp and grits.

I forgot to take photos but this is what it looked like.

1624406149-Screen-Shot-2021-06-22-at-75523-PM.png

JourneyWithMe2, polarberry, Unk p and 11 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @lauren

@bluebelle Crows love unsalted peanuts.

I must be a crow then. But here's the concern about feeding them.  I read that if you feed them, you had better plan to be consistent. They can get mad if you stop. 

Also I failed to mention that the neighbors sued the crow-friendly family for disrupting the neighborhood with all those crows. They bring their friends when you start feeding them. I will try to find the article so we can know what happened.

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, deetoo and 1 people reacted
(@bluebelle)

@jeanne-mayell 

Shrimp and Grits (from the Boathouse on Isle of Palms, SC)

Hot pepper sauce

1/3 C. Green hot pepper sauce

1/4 C. Dry white wine

1 shallot, chopped

1T. fresh lemon juiice

1 T. Rice vinegar

1/2 C. Whipping cream

Combine all ingredients except the cream and simmer for 15 minutes or until mixture reduces by half.  Stir in cream and set sauce aside.

5 cups water

3 cups whole mile

1/2 C whipping cream

1/4 cup butter

2 C. Corn grits (I use Geechee Boy white grits - not instant grits)

Bring liquids to a boil and then add grits and butter.  Cook stirring over medium heat until grits have the consistency of polenta or cream of wheat.  This may take 45 minutes to an hour.  You can make ahead and warm up before serving.

1/4  C. Olive oil

8 oz. smoked andouille sausage, sliced

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 yellow bell pepper chopped

1/2 C. Minced onion

4 garlic cloves minced

30 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined

4 plum tomatoes, chopped

1 tsp. Cajun seasoning

1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning

Heat olive oil in large skillet and add sausage, peppers, onion and garlic; sauté until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.  Add shrimp, tomatoes, Cajun seasoning and Old Bay seasoning and sauté until shrimp are pink in color, about 6 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

While shrimp are cooking, warm up the hot cream sauce to a simmer.  Warm up the grits.  To serve, spoon grits into large pasta bowls or plates, cover with andouille sausage and shrimp mixture.  Drizzle hot pepper cream sauce over all and serve.

Serves Six.  

Lovendures, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 11 people reacted
(@bluebelle)

@jeanne-mayell Now I want to make your frittata!  Wow, does that every look good.  I can use chickpea pasta and make it low glycemic.

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23 and 5 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@bluebelle omg, I will love this. 

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, polarberry and 3 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@bluebelle omg, I will love this. It makes me think of @laura-f.  I wonder what she is cooking these days?

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, polarberry and 7 people reacted
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@jeanne-mayell 

Cauliflower Mole Tacos !

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@laura-f OMG, hi!  So good to hear from you and see your amazing avatar and think about cauliflower mole tacos. I keep thinking about that shrimp dish you whipped up last summer with the colorful cloth napkins. A weekend guest left a gigantic cauliflower in our fridge.  Should we make this thing?

(@laura-f)

Here ya go!!

CAULIFLOWER MOLE TACOS

1 head cauliflower, cut up

1 box microgreens

1 avocado

2-3 tbsp Sesame oil

1 clove garlic

sprigs cilantro

1 tsp cocoa powder

1 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp paprika

1 tsp cumin

salt + pepper

1 tsp brown sugar

3 tbsp sour cream

1 tbsp mayo

juice of 1-2 limes

radish and carrot pickles (any recipe you know is fine)

tortillas (corn preferably)

Toss the cauliflower with the oil and all the dry spices, cocoa, sugar, salt, pepper. One layer in baking pan or cookie sheet lined with paper or foil. Bake at 450 (oven or bbq) 15 minutes, stir, bake 10 more minutes.

Make the crema: In the blender - avocado, mayo, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt to taste. Add a little water if needed.

Toast your tortillas as usual. To assemble, spread the crema on each tortilla, add some cauliflower and pickles, top with microgreens.

*If you have no pickles, sub some thin sliced fresh radishes and squeeze extra lime on each taco

Lovendures, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 9 people reacted
(@laura-f)

@Bluebelle

Hope you made some Shrimp Remoulade too!
And roasted oysters!

deetoo, JourneyWithMe2, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@laura-f "toast your tortillas as usual" - never toasted a tortilla. I can feel the speed with which you are able to pull these dishes out of thin air. Arms going, moving quickly and deftly, then voila, bon appetit.  

Lovendures, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
(@bluebelle)

@laura-f OMG, I have missed you!  And I am making your mole cauliflower tacos.  We love roasted cauliflower and we love tacos.  It’s a win win situation here.  No, I didn’t make the shrimp remoulade or roasted oysters, but now I want them.  I want them bad.

Lovendures, deetoo, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
Page 1 / 27
Share: