Notifications
Clear all

Reading Our Pets

(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

Goodbye to my little 20 year old cat. She passed at 3 this morning with one last goodbye sound to let me know it was over.

Kermit was 20 in my years. Her pregnant mother abandoned at our little country school, a friend took her in from there. We had chances to get to know the little mama and my youngest daughter and I watched when it was her time as each little miracle of birth kitten was born. 

We picked out one little solid black one and then later a little striped tabby. Kermit and Keira. Both girls named before knowing them or their sexes. Keira passed long ago with many tears on my part. And now her little companion and best buddy.

Kermit sounded like the famous frog and thusly a little girl with bright green eyes and a name to match.

Always the most elusive and independent of all of our many cats but raised with love and care. I gave her so much of both these past months. Carried her around with me, rocking her during her last stages of awareness last night. Giving her many, many gentle baths when functions and the ability to find her litter then towels passed. Lovings and scratches and gentle ear and face rubs soothed us both and created a long but gentle letting go week of experiences for her and good memories for me.

She loved it all. Purring to the end from gentle petting and ear rubs. It was long past time but she didn't want to leave just yet.

In the evening, I told all the stories and sent images of her birth, kittenhood on and told her for three nights it was time and she could go now and join her sweet sister over the rainbow bridge.

My husband said goodbye at bedtime then carried her in from her favorite napping place under a big fern and into the house for her last goodby and goodnight. 

I heard her call out to "say goodbye" to me at at 3 and knew she was gone.  Still warm, so soft from so many gentle baths over these many days. Never complaining but even stretching out in the water a bit.

The candles are there with her during this last transition vigil. I stroked her still soft body and now with tears wait as her spirit crosses over. Her 3 days ahead of time must have been half in and half out in some ways. Pretty much like her strange birth.  Now, she can finally really and truly leave in spirit as well as body. Loved and in peace and always and forever to be remembered. 

???

seaturtle26, JourneyWithMe2, ghandigirl and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@michele-b, I am so sorry to hear that. There isn't a lot of pain that comes close to losing your cat friend. My condolences to you and your family and much strength to get through this painful period. ? 

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, FEBbby23 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@moonbeam

Thank you. Always sad, ways hard.  You know its past time and you welcome the peace for your precious companion pet. But still even with another dear cat in the home, there's a missing and the energy in the house is all different . Dog sitting one of our granddogs for a few days so i know once a lovely but very large and loving dog arrives, loving us but still missing his family that we will be kept helpfully busy and distracted. 

(((Thank you Moonbeam ?))

Jeanne Mayell, Share, Moonbeam and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@suspira44)
Famed Member Registered

@michele-b very teary reading this. What a wonderful life she had with you. She will always be with you.

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, FEBbby23 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@suspira44

Blessings and gratitude to you dear sweet open hearted to loss you ❤ 

I am a similar spirit. All loss touches me so deep and recconects me to all of my previous losses in all animal/human kingdoms.

?

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, Share and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

posted by @michele-b:

In the evening, I told all the stories and sent images of her birth, kittenhood on and told her for three nights it was time and she could go now and join her sweet sister over the rainbow bridge.

Oh, dear @michele-b, your post touched me deeply.  I said your kitty's name aloud -- Kermit -- and felt chills, then a big smile came across my face.   You loved each other so!  What a beautiful spirit, and what a blessed life Kermit had with you. 

Lots of love to you, my friend. ?

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, Share and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@deetoo

Bless you D. That's just how I feel too.

?

???????

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, Share and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@michele-b I’m so sorry.  Sending you a big loving hug.  ❤️

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Hugs to you, Michele. It's hard to lose a pet friend.

Jeanne Mayell, Michele, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@share)
Famed Member Registered

@michele-b I’m so sorry for your loss my dear Michele.  Your story written about your fur babies got me so emotional.  I felt the deep love you had for them as well as the appreciation they had for you. Sending you bundles of warm hugs and meow kisses.  

share the love and light 

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, Michele and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant
Topic starter  

@michele-b

I am so sorry for your loss. It never gets easier. I know you know you gave her so much love, and also that you will love again. I came on here to post an updated pic of Django, and I hesitated when I saw your post, but he's such a joy, I hope that sharing him on here will cheer you and anyone else on here who needs it.

(Can't seem to get pic to post - will try again later!)

Jeanne Mayell, Share, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@michele-b, when I lost my cat, Holly, in 2016, I was devastated (still am in a way), but I had never heard of the Rainbow Bridge. I'll assume everybody here does know what it is, but in case somebody doesn't... perhaps the poem will help you and all the others have recently dealt with loss in this way. ❤️ 

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of all its beautiful colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows,
hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm spring weather.
The old and frail animals are young again.
Those who were sick, hurt or in pain are made whole again.
There is only one thing missing,
they are not with their special person who loved them so much on earth.
So each day they run and play until the day comes
when one suddenly stops playing and looks up!
The nose twitches! The ears are up!
The eyes are staring and this one runs from the group!
You have been seen and when you and your special friend meet,
you take him in your arms and hug him.
He licks and kisses your face again and again -
and you look once more into the eyes of your best friend and trusting
pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together never again to be apart.

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Vesta and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

That poem always makes me tear up! 

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@moonbeam

That's awesome. Neon tetras are a beautiful fish. I can give you some tips and tricks if you want.

ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@polarberry, that would be great! I have no idea on how to keep fish so I tried to read up as much as I can about the one she's chosen (the tetras). I know they live in schools of about 15 and need a tropical tank.

I do want my daughter to take responsibility and care for them though. Should be doable with a good aquarium, keeping the temperature just right and so on? Can't be too high maintenance due to it being 'her' fish.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, polarberry and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Yes and no. In all honesty, neon tetras aren't the best choice if you are new to fishkeeping, as they tend to be fragile and finicky, but if you get the conditions just right before adding them, you should be fine. How long has your tank been cycling?

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@michele-b

SO much love Michele. To be loved in that manner is a blessing.  20 years is a blessing as well.  If a fraction of that love and care comes back to you, your heart will feel lighter and you will know how well you are loved and cared for.  Be gentile to yourself for the next few days.  

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Share and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@michele-b Oh Michele, I am so sorry.  Your story was heartbreaking with her little goodbye sound. I feel like they stay around for a while, close to you, before frolicking in kitty heaven.  Sending you love and care. 

FEBbby23, Share, Unk p and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@febbby23

Thank you so very much my friend ? Dogsitting our 100 lb "granddog" today and and reminding him that no, he does not fit in grandma's lap and paying extra attention to our other cat who is is refusing to even enter the totally cleaned and aired laundry room today is both distracting from the sense of loss and a good reminder there are many ways to redirect all the love and care I have a need to give today. Still, I keep remembering she's finally passed after so many weeks of constant care and cleaning/ laundry for her. Empty spot in my heart, house, and routine. The hole in the heart pang is always the most challenging. ?

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, LalaBella and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@share

Bless you Share. Our bonds run deep. Theirs with me and mine with them and your totally picking up on the intensity of that love.

We have a deep bond now too you and I from that sharing. Did you feel my great big boy furball cat come rushing in and jump on me? Hahaha.

I swear he picked upbon your energy as i was reading your post. He gave tons of purring kneading love more than he had all day long.

Messages of love from many through the veil. Soothes my heart so ?

Jeanne Mayell, Share, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 29
Share: