Notifications
Clear all

Whoa! Weird Weather, Heat Events and Storms

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

-There is a derecho going on in the mid-west right now.  I have never heard of a Derecho.  

Severe thunderstorms are producing widespread damaging winds across a part of the Midwest today as a derecho races eastward.

A derecho is a widespread wind damage event caused by severe thunderstorms, and this one got its start in eastern Nebraska Monday morning.

Wind gust over 100 miles an hour!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/10/weather/derecho-forecast-chicago-severe-storms/index.html

-There have been NO monsoons this year in most Arizona.

I have lived here for over 26 years and we have ALWAY had monsoon rains visit us in July, August and September. All three months.  On occasion in June.  

The latest drought update released on last Thursday by the United States Drought Monitor shows that nearly 82% of Arizona is now experiencing some level of drought.  In May, NO part of Arizona was in drought.  Where I live we are in severe drought.  Phoenix Sky Harbor airport recorded one day with a 10th of an inch of rain in July.  That rain did not reach to my city.  It has been over 125 days of no rain here.  

This is not good!

PamP, deetoo, Tiger-n-Owl and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

https://www.facebook.com/jamesspann/photos/pcb.10158690501755842/10158690501615842/?type=3&theater

We have had quite the storms this afternoon .. and. .some very unusual clouds in the sky yesterday.

PamP, deetoo, Stargazer and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures  Okay, so I need to say something about derechos. (Trying to say that weird word with a strait face.)  Former NASA climate scientist James Hansen, wrote in his last big 2015 study that he believed the new climate we will be facing will see winds so strong that they can lift thousand ton boulders high into the air. While we aren't at that point yet, the world is three times windier now and quickly accelerating.

There are such boulders in the Bahamas that no one has been able to determine how they ended up on the top of 60 foot cliff overlooking the ocean.  Hansen says that 100,000 years ago when climate conditions were similar to what is happening now, the massively powerful superstorms could have lifted those boulders, although he thinks the higher oceans were also involved. 

You can read about it here. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/11/28/oceans/

PamP, DolphinSpirit, deetoo and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell

My first thought when I read about them ( derechos) today: "I bet this is tied to what Jeanne has been predicting".  

Also my first thought today when I saw no rain in the forecast yet again for the next week in the greater Phoenix area: "I bet this is also tied to what Jeanne has been predicting".

My first thought again when today about Canada's last remaining ice sheet collapsed this week:  " Dang it!  I know this is tied to what Jeanne has been predicting".

Again today when it was confirmed a new record for the length of lightning, doubling the previous record, had occurred in Brazil in 2019 spanning what is basically the length between Glasgow and London:  "Good Grief Jeanne!"  

Again, my first thought today when reading over a month's worth of rain could fall within two hours on parts of Britain this week, causing flash flooding, while an ongoing heatwave is set to break records.  "...Jeanne?  Yep,  Jeanne!"

I have decided to take a break from reading about the weather.  (I know it isn't the messenger's fault but darn it Jeanne!)

PamP, deetoo, Tiger-n-Owl and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

@lovendures

Derechos aren't all too uncommon in the eastern US in the summer, but 100 mph winds are something. My grandparents in South Jersey were in the thick of the June 2012 North American Derecho (peak winds of 91 mph). They lost power for 5 days, and my grandmother talks about how she could hear thunder approaching and see lightning flashes a full hour before the storm struck.

In addition to the Ellesmere ice caps collapsing, a hamlet in Italy's Aosta Valley was evacuated because a glacier on Mont Blanc might collapse. And in case you missed it, in June, a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit was recorded in the northern Siberian village of Verkhoyansk, which is the first time that triple digit temps have been recorded in the Arctic Circle. The Svalbard Archipelago, north of Norway, also recorded its highest temperature on record last month: 71 degrees.

PamP, deetoo, Tiger-n-Owl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@coyote

I had heard about Italy, but not about Siberia or the Svalbard Archipelago.  Thank you!

Sometimes I can hear the thunder and see the lightning for quite some time when we (used to apparently) have our monsoons.  

PamP, deetoo, Tiger-n-Owl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@lovendures

This is incredible drought in Arizona and has to have some relief soon...!!!

I am really concerned about the stresses on all the wildlife also, Lovendures, and especially... the Wild Horses ?

Here's a heartfelt request to Jeanne and everyone participating in the Circle of Light Meditation nights ... please focus a big intention for there in AZ for the rains to return? If a miracle is needed anywhere, it's there.

You guys are in my prayers and meditations always, Lovendures ⛈️

PamP, deetoo, Tiger-n-Owl and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

It has been hotter than usual *again* in Northern Europe as well. Crazy thing is that the temperatures were exactly the way they should be during our lock-downs. Like the clock turned back 30/40 years. Just a few weeks after everything opened up and cars, planes etc. went off, the temps rose.

We have been in a heatwave for days now. If we have one (there were only 28 in the past century, almost half of them took place the last 2 decades) it usually has about 3 or 4 days of about 96 degrees. Now it has already been 7 days and going to 10. These aren't normal occurrences. A normal summer here would have nice weather of about 77/79 degrees.

PamP, deetoo, Tiger-n-Owl and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

!!!

This is the first Fire Tornado Warning we are aware of in history. #cawx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EffiweYXkAEXGfX?format=png&name=small

PamP, Rohenna, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@unk-p

I am not sure if that should be part of pandemic bingo or a pandemic Jeopardy question.  

Fire Tornado.

I think I need to stop asking what's next?

PamP, Rohenna, polarberry and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

Here in our county in Virginia had 8 inches of rain fall in 4 1/2 hours on Saturday. Countless roads were flooded. I was actually nervous listening to the rain pound our home for so long. We have been here 30 years and have never seen rain like this unless is was a passing hurricane or tropical storm. This rain event was neither.!

PamP, polarberry, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@lenor,

I had a totally different experience last night.

It has been over 130 days without rain, and this is normally a wet time for us in the desert.    No monsoons this year however have reached our home which is an unheard of event.

Last night after midnight, some rouge clouds must have gotten together and had a disagreement.  As I was typing away on my computer my ears perked up.  Was that the sound of rain hitting the chimney?  There was no rain in the forecast.  I grabbed the dog and went outside.  Sure enough, above our little neighborhood a small thunderstorm had formed. In most directions I could see no clouds, but above us and a bit to the north they had gathered and were gifting us with some rather large drops of rainwater.  You could hear some quiet thunder way up above our heads in the distance too.  

I ran back inside and woke up my sleeping husband and insisted he come down and stand out in the rain with me.  He thought I was a little nuts, but obliged.

So, for the following 8 minutes, we both stood smiling and the dog and I did our own version of a grateful rain dance on the grass in our backyard.  We felt the rain as it hit our skin and hair.  Wet enough that our dog was even able to "shake" himself a few times to swoosh the water off his fur as he ran around the yard sniffing at the wet ground and plants. 

And just as suddenly, the thunder dissipated and the rain tampered off until there was nothing left.

I thanked my husband for joining me for that brief blessing from heaven, kissed him good night and went back to my computer.  

So funny how rain can be a cause of joy in one area of the country and fear in another.  Sometimes we don't get 8 inches of rain in a year.

Rohenna, polarberry, FEBbby23 and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

@lovendures

The weather station just updated that our part of the county actually got 10.9 inches. The northern area got 8. I wish we could send some of this rain to the west coast. Our back yard is all squishy when you walk on it. It will take days for it to dry out but the forecast is for more rain, but not as much.

When I was teaching I was also the Ecology Club advisor and I would have “lessons” on climate change for the kids who joined this club. Climate change deniers are just stupid.

polarberry, FEBbby23, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

@lovendures

We are experiencing a very hot going on 100 degree day.  I went out to check my line drying laundry felt a raindrop hit my forehead! Grabbed the dry laundry as fast as I could and just made it back inside .
Sky is electrical, magical ions feeling just before thunder and lightning usually comes.
Something strange happening right now in the cosmos. Sky opening up magical. That yellow grey weird sky color of light!
Looked up symbolism as fast as I could. All i Googled was yellow grey sky feels like thunderstorm is coming. Yikes!

And I got: 

"Broadly speaking, aerosols are thought to suppress precipitation because the particles decrease the size of water droplets in clouds. However, under some environmental conditions, aerosols can lead to taller clouds that are more likely to produce lightning and strong downpours.Nov 2, 2010

Aerosols??? Now how symbolic can one get with the Google angels than that?  No tarot cards needed!

Weird indeed.

DH said our temp felt like it had just dropped 20 degrees. I'd just changed from shorts and a t shirt to winter fleece pjs and had two blankets on me after getting afternoon laundry. Huge chills overwhelmed me.

Felt that temp drop coming psychically 1/2 way early. Cue Twilight Zone music!

NASA (.gov) › earthobservatory › p...Aerosols and Clouds - Aerosols: Tiny Particles, Big Impact 

Don't know who is weirder.  The weather or me? ?

And just look at my signature sign off below. "Someone added a ? to it and it wasn't me. 

LalaBella, Rohenna, polarberry and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@michele-b

Wow!  Hot for Oregon for sure!

It has been hot all over the west too.  Weird about the question mark. 

BTW, I love the smell of air dried laundry.

polarberry, FEBbby23, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Saw this today an immediately thought of Jeanne.

130 in Death Valley on Sunday  One of the hottest temperatures ever recorded globally. The hotter temperatures are actually disputed temps.

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/temperature-of-130-recorded-in-death-valley-on-sunday-among-the-hottest-temperatures-ever-recorded?fbclid=IwAR2WTkoHzyG0RU11VVHXNNsDBOEUCAoZ69lkgnrJYbV64nDuhfD35Va6AxQ

polarberry, lenor, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

The weather is also affecting insects. I was out tending plants a couple evenings ago and was dive-bombed by a mosquito the size of a grapefruit.

I love rain. I will go outside and work in it if there's no lightning.

We are in for a fascinating, terrifying climate ride.

FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@lovendures,

Same. I have stopped asking what's next.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@polarberry

I have also noticed odd insect behavior.  

2 times this summer, a bee has some come into our home at night and attacked our lamp by the sliding door.  They have come in around midnight, no doors open. Last night one kept attempting to enter our home to get to that light.  Kept smashing against our glass door.  This has never happened in our 25 years here.  In the spring they will sometimes enter our house through our chimney.  They get trapped inside the house because they can't exit through the chimney.  It is weird.  This is different however.  

Rohenna, Unk p, polarberry and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

And grasshoppers. I have seen so many this summer it's creeping me out. And they are big. I've always seen them, summers past, but these are everywhere.

Rohenna and Rohenna reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: