Notifications
Clear all

Indigenous People -Earth and Water Protectors

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures hoping you have a sump pump. Hoping you will be okay, and glad you get to enjoy the cooler weather.

I bought a sump pump ten years ago after a flood and am so glad we had it a few weeks ago when it rained nearly every day for ten days.  If we hadn't been home or hadn't had a pump, we would have seen four feet of water in our basement. We will be installing an automatic sump pump with a back up in the future because I have no doubt that we will see worse down the road. 

JourneyWithMe2, deetoo, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures A rollercoaster of weather is quite weird! And reminds me of how all of our lives have been up and down so often. Sigh. 
I’m happy for your temperate 80s days bc those reprieves are so necessary. I see you in an oasis of temperance and envision your home and family’s protection ?? 

JourneyWithMe2, deetoo, lenor and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

Monsoon in Tucson. My daughter in Tucson said it rained for two days. It was so nice. She said the birds had a party in her yard. Her yard is one of the few yards with real grass. She has sprinklers, and said after the yard is watered, birds come to get water from the sprinklers.

JourneyWithMe2, Iridium, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I also have grass and am sometimes conflicted about it.  I know water is a precious resource.  However I watch all the animals taking refuge in my yard and know it is important to them to have a little oasis where they can find water, shade and survival habitat.

I especially love a pair of owls who often call my trees home and will actually sit on my grass during the day when it is super hot. The grass lowers the temperature significantly.  This is the first year I have seen owls sit on grass in broad daylight. They also play mind games with my 40 pound dog who will run annoyed back and forth between them as they hoot to each other. 

JourneyWithMe2, CC21, ElaineG and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures @elaineg I love these animal stories! 

JourneyWithMe2, deetoo, JourneyWithMe2 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

I needed this story today. Some 8 and 9 year old boys in a small Iowa town have been saving turtles all summer from getting squashed by cars. A small local paper picked it up and then the Washington Post covered it. These boys found turtles squashed on the road. Now they spend their days helping other turtles get across. 

Reminds me of the movie, Stand by Me, of a bunch of boys having an adventure. May their love of animals remain.

Lauren, Freya, BlueBelle and 14 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell 

This is the BEST story Jeanne!

Definitely what we all need today and any day!

Lauren, Vesta, JourneyWithMe2 and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Line 3 water protector news! 

We really need to support these protectors.  I will be keeping them front and center in my prayers and meditations.  We MUST keep our precious water resources CLEAN!!

After five years of constant protests, the movement to Stop Line 3, a proposed pipeline in Canada and the Midwest, has been rapidly escalating in the last couple of months. Made up primarily of Indigenous organizers, tribal governments, and climate justice organizers, the group is dedicated to fighting against the Canadian multinational fossil fuel company Enbridge, which is building the pipeline. A supposed replacement of the existing Line 3—a crude oil pipeline which stretches from Alberta, Canada to northwest Wisconsin—the new, bigger Line 3 is Enbridge’s largest ever project. If constructed, it would cut through three different Indigenous reservations in Minnesota, including land that the Treaty of 1855 gave the Ojibwe people the right to use for hunting, fishing, and gathering wild rice.

The climate and Indigenous justice groups cite Indigenous sovereignty, land and water rights, treaty rights, climate change, the financial risk of investing in a dying industry, and the harmful impacts of construction and spills on both Indigenous communities and the environment all as reasons to put a halt to the pipeline’s construction. But the state police force and Enbridge itself have been responding aggressively to their actions. Just this past week, Minnesota law enforcement (to which Enbridge has paid a hefty sum of about $750,000 as of April in order to police Line 3 protesters) arrested seven elder women protesting the pipeline in Wadena County.

A former Green Party vice presidential candidate and activist who has been fighting the construction of the new Line 3 pipeline replacement for nearly a decade, Winona LaDuke has been appointed guardian ad litem for Shell River—which the completed pipeline would cross in five places—by both the 1855 Treaty Commission and her tribe.

Slate spoke with LaDuke about organizing on the frontlines of Stop Line 3 and about protesters’ demands for the Biden administration when it comes to climate justice and Indigenous rights. This conversation has been condensed and edited for clarity.

Sofia Andrade: What’s it like to be on the frontlines protesting Enbridge’s Line 3 pipeline right now?

Winona LaDuke: Here’s kind of how I’m describing it right now: This is the place where the wild things are. The place where rivers are clear. … It’s our place. Wild rice, it’s the only place in the world that grows it. And Enbridge wants to put the last tar sands pipeline through this. … It’s the last tar sands pipeline because everybody’s divesting. … It’s like the end of the tar sands era. And it’s this Canadian multinational that is running roughshod over northern states and the … people who live there, because we’re the people that live in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan where the Enbridge main line is. We’re the people here, and they’re running over us [and] a fifth of the world’s [fresh] water. And we’re saying, “it’s time to quit.” … [It’s] basically selling our human rights, our water, our political rights, everything, our land to a Canadian multinational. I think they’re crazy.

We’re gonna stand here and fight it out, man. I’ve been living on Shell River for the past two months. … I spent most of my life around Shell Lake, right, but this is a river that comes from the lake and the lake is pristine. It has the best wild rice. Now I’ve been living in the river and it’s the driest here in history, in known in history. The river is 50, 60 percent lower than it’s supposed to be. And [Minnesota] just gave 5 billion gallons of water to this Canadian multinational to [build] the last tar sands pipeline. Now that’s crazy. … They’re basically putting an entire ecosystem at risk so that they can make a buck. I mean this pipeline is worse than Keystone

More can be found at this link.  Let me tell you, the water protectors are non to happy with Biden right now.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/07/line-3-protest-pipeline-biden.html

Lauren, Jeanne Mayell, earthangel and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

@lovendures  My prayers join yours. Also please remember the women. https://www.fcnl.org/issues/native-americans

Lauren, Jeanne Mayell, earthangel and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

A good read to see what we face. My neck of the woods has abundant springs, rivers, creeks ...that has been misused and polluted and industry has done it for years. It has to stop.. our water is precious.. our water? is LIFE. This is why so many people in this area... myself included.. have auto-immune thyroid issues as well as other health problems like cancer and liver dysfunction.

https://bittersoutherner.com/southern-perspectives/2021/rivers-of-doubt-the-north-georgia-water-crisis?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Lauren, Jeanne Mayell, raincloud and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

Awhile back there was confusion on the forum about what to call the original inhabitants of the Americas. I just finished reading Charles C. Mann's seminal book 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, and he discusses the issue of terminology in both his intro and an appendix chapter. This is what he says:

“Throughout this book, as the reader will have noticed, I use the term ‘Indian’ to refer to the first inhabitants of the Americas. No question about it, Indian is a confusing and historically inappropriate name. Probably the most accurate descriptor for the original inhabitants of the Americas is Americans. Actually using it, though, would be risking worse confusion. In this book I try to refer to people by the names they call themselves. The overwhelming majority of the indigenous peoples whom I have me in North and South America describe themselves as Indian.”

He then goes on to quote the Lakota activist Russell Means:

“Anyone born in the western hemisphere is a Native American…I abhor the term Native American…We were enslaved as American Indians, we were colonized as American Indians, and we will gain our freedom as American Indians, and then we will call ourselves any damn thing we choose.”

I'm only posting this because it was really informing reading about the convolutions surrounding this subject, and it makes you think twice about enforcing terminology if you yourself are not Native. I've mostly encountered the same thing Mann has encountered; indigenous people in the Americas I've met seem to be at ease with "Indian," but it's polite to just use specific cultural names (Lakota, Wampanoag, Mixtec, etc.) or whatever label a particular group is comfortable with. If you're in any situation where "Indian" can be confused with "South Asian" (like this forum), then American Indian is safe.

It takes intuition to safely navigate this linguistic minefield, which can be maddening.

Lauren, Unk p, Lovendures and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

Apparently Coyote is poking me a bit as well.  I was looking for a proper thread to post this in and found this one, which seemed to be the best fit.  Then I looked at the last post...it was by Coyote. ;-)

Anyway, I found this this evening, and I thought it was interesting. :-)

https://returntonow.net/2018/08/01/the-amazon-is-a-man-made-food-forest-researchers-discover/

Lauren, Freya, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tgraf66 Wow. Thank you for responding to Coyote.  He is back. Great article. I did not know that the Amazon was human-planted 4000 years ago.  And so much more there.

westie, Lauren, Unk p and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@tgraf66 

SO awesome that you are finding another synchronicity regarding Coyote right now.  Thank your reviving this thread and for your post.  It is very interesting indeed.   Thank you for noticing Coyote's post also.

Michele, Lauren and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ented1995)
Active Member Participant

Earth and water protectors have been working tirelessly to preserve our planet and its natural resources. They fight for clean air, clean water, and the preservation of land and wildlife. Many of them are involved in direct action tactics like civil disobedience, tree-sits, and blockades. Others work behind the scenes to help educate people about environmental issues. All of these actions are necessary to save our planet.

ReplyQuote
(@matildagirl)
Famed Member Registered

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-31/indigenous-australian-seasons-guided-by-nature/100919396

Indigenous Australians use their deep spiritual connection to the land to track the seasons, but elders are warning of a “massive shift” in climate. 

“Everything is out of whack. Everything “

For Uncle Noel, Aunty Carol, Dr Walley, Mr Barrow, Aunty Kerry-Ann and Mr Nannup, the seasons are far more than just individual signs in the environment.

They each have a deep spiritual connection to the land they live on.

"And it's a wonderful thing to be a part of when you read nature, you become part of nature, then you realise that you are nature," Dr Walley said.

"Science is about getting knowledge, and I would argue 65,000 years is a lot of adaptive management and knowledge about how to sustainably live on country and how to use the resources there," he said.

Aunty Carol said it was a way of living and listening, which everyone could learn from. 

"I've been taught that we look at the weather first, then the flora responds and then the animals," she said.

"Our behaviour is determined by the behaviour of nature."

It is worth reading the article 

Regards to all

deetoo, westie, LivingFree2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Guess who does a better job with reforestation?

If you guessed indigenous people, you are correct!

Who else felt that question was a no-brainer?

https://phys.org/news/2023-06-indigenous-reforestation-outcomes.html

deetoo, Lauren, JourneyWithMe2 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@westie)
Trusted Member Registered

Did anyone read the news that the Supreme Court in the USA voted against Navajo people's water rights? Gorsuch wrote a lengthy dissent. I hope this ruling finds traction with Water Protectors somehow. The privatization of water is only going to get worse, imo. What will U.S. Supreme Court decision mean for tribal water rights? (coloradosun.com)

Also, I read a news item in the Sonoma County California Gazette that the Kashia Band of Pomo People will be working to protect the abalone off the coast as well as remove invasive purple sea urchins. They received a 1.8 million dollar fund from the Biden Admin for this work. Sonoma County to receive nearly $15 million from Biden Administration for environmental projects (sonomacountygazette.com)

And more activism here: Jingle Dress Project: How Jingle Dresses Are Being Used to Heal Communities | Vogue

Lauren, ghandigirl and deetoo reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: