Notifications
Clear all

Improving the Plight of Animals

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

By Moonbeam: Has anyone seen anything on the survival of animals lately? We've all been so engrossed in the horror that is Trump that the pain and plight of animals hasn't been talked about that much and it is hard for me to see anything about this, with T's shadow cast.

I feel anxiety due to what is going on with climate change and the effect it has on the animal population (heat, fires, cut forests etc). Not to mention poachers and 'killing for fun' beings around the world.

Are we in the middle of the 6th mass extinction that will lead to a decimation of 90% of animal species or is the outlook brighter?

Stargazer, lenor, Stargazer and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@moonbeam We will need a healing miracle at this point. It gives me great comfort on Wednesday nights during the Circle of Light to send healing and love to all of the animals on earth. Trying coming some times. Click on the Circle of Light link on this page and register. We will be there tonight. – Jeanne Mayell

lenor, deetoo, lenor and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Looks like Hurricane Laura has caused an inundation of mosquitoes in Louisiana.  So much so that livestock are dying.  I would think wild animals are too, though that has not been mentioned.

Clouds of mosquitoes have been so thick in southwest Louisiana since Hurricane Laura that they're killing animals, including horses and cattle. The vast number of bites leave horses and cattle anemic and bleeding under their skins. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-laura-mosquitoes-kill-livestock-louisiana/?fbclid=IwAR2zAostmLl5pcz4yx-7gkL3LIIJEZVtLl28U3ojC-pgOhmoGsNSpWI1VCQ

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lovendures. Thanks for updating. This is unreal. Plague, pestilence, fire, and flood. Praying for these poor beings.

Share and Share reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
Illustrious Member Registered

It's become biblical, everything that is going on. The images of all those animals being bitten to death... the fires, the wars, the evil in the WH... I have no words...

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Who doesn't need a great animal story?

How about a horse reunion  story where 3 horses are reunited after being apart for 4 years.

I love horses.

https://horseyhooves.com/horse-reunites-with-friend/

lenor, Jeanne Mayell, Share and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Incredible!  Concerned for trapped penguins, a film crew breaks the rules and builds a staircase in the ice to free them.  

This is beautiful!

https://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=12F9BMNU&utm_content=buffer7a3f1&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_source=gtpg&utm_campaign=gtupdate&fbclid=IwAR2ecOFFFvsnRr4-0_7Lqj69Pj4Qnxxjxo3otsMj-lLXW8-wVa5au_0fH10

Vesta, Jeanne Mayell, Moonbeam and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@lovendures, these kind of things breathe hope. Animals and people working together do. Companionship, love, understanding, cooperation and pure goodness. That's a world I want to live in.

Thank you!

Vesta, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lovendures Thank you for finding this beautiful story.  

Vesta and Vesta reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Brilliant.  The video is 18 months old though I had never seen it before today. 

This shows how loud a sonic blast is for marine animals during a hearing with Rep. Joe Cunningham (SC) and Chris Oliver, Assit. Admin with NOAA Fisheries .  Hint, it is much louder that an air horn blast. Much louder.

https://nowthisnews.com/videos/politics/joe-cunningham-sets-off-air-horn-during-hearing-to-prove-point

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

More bad news about birds.

A bird catastrophe at thee Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge , due mostly to the drought, heat and water policy

This year though, instead of broad sheets of water, green wetland stands, clouds of mosquitos, and throngs of noisy waterbirds – what greets me is a dry, barren landscape baking in the hot summer sun. Throngs of birds cram together in the few pools of hot, stagnant water that remain. Different species and guilds gather in a motley collection of unlikely neighbors; American White Pelicans waddle near elegant Black-necked Stilts and American Avocets, rather than spreading out across the open water and mudflats. These are exactly the kinds of conditions where disease can spread rapidly.

It is not surprising then, that a massive avian botulism outbreak is ravaging the birds of the Lower Klamath and some of the surrounding refuges. At last estimate, 40,000 birds have died in the last month due to botulism and thousands more are at an emergency “duck hospital” operated by staff from Bird Ally X, California Waterfowl Association, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Avian botulism is a waterborne bacteria, Clostridium botulinum, that occurs naturally in many

https://ca.audubon.org/news/avian-botulism-kills-40000-birds-lower-klamath-national-wildlife-refuge?fbclid=IwAR3E3iVMdAyiXlAET3wJW7VrMqM-VH8pkhRwqaG9bz1eGD9i1UaXU15xp90

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Did you know bison at one time freely roamed Europe?  Did you know there are wild bison herds in Poland right now?

Germany is considering re-wilding some large mammals like elk, bison and wolves, but there are challenges.  They are looking to Poland to help them figure it all out.  I hope it works.

A fascinating read.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200929-how-wolves-and-bison-are-returning-to-europe

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, Tiger-n-Owl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deborah-carey)
Noble Member Registered

I just stumbled on this and found it inspiring, thought this might be the best place to share..

“Drink water from the spring where horses drink. The horse will never drink bad water.

Lay your bed where the cat sleeps.

Eat the fruit that has been touched by a worm.

Boldly pick the mushroom on which the insects sit.

Plant the tree where the mole digs.

Build your house where the snake sits to warm itself.

Dig your fountain where the birds hide from heat.

Go to sleep and wake up at the same time with the birds – you will reap all of the days golden grains.

Eat more green – you will have strong legs and a resistant heart, like the beings of the forest.

Swim often and you will feel on earth like the fish in the water.

Look at the sky as often as possible and your thoughts will become light and clear.

Be quiet a lot, speak little – and silence will come in your heart, and your spirit will be calm and full of peace.”

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Nature is talking to you, are you listening?

ghandigirl, Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2 and 23 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Something is up with the birds where I live .  I have always had winter grass and we over seed it each October.  We have been doing this for 24 years.  Every year as soon as the seed hits the dirt, the bird come non-stop to our yard. In the early years there were not many pigeons as they had not found our neighborhood, but there were lots of wild birds. For 15 years now we have had our normal wild birds plus tons of pigeons eating our grass seed.  

We over seeded last Tuesday and I have hardly seen a bird on the grass.  It used to be I would need to open my door and shew them away. Even allow my dog to chase them.  I have seen maybe 4 birds eating the seed over the week.  Normally there would be over 50 each  day.  

We had an extremely hot summer as you are aware and even 100 degree temps last week, I am not sure it this is playing a roll or not.  

Where did the birds go?

( As I am writing this, I hear a song bird chirping and I know a family of quail is around somewhere nearby.  Also a few grackle.  But, this is not normal at all). 

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, earthangel and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

Good news for elephants in Sri Lanka:

Sri Lanka to ban imports of plastic goods to protect elephants

"Environment minister Mahinda Amaraweera told parliament legislation was being drafted to stop imports of plastic goods, including polythene, that end up in landfills. Officials said it would be introduced within months.

"Plastics are doing untold damage to our wildlife -- elephants, deer and other animals," Amaraweera told AFP shortly after his announcement.

"We need to take immediate action to arrest this situation."
Sri Lanka has already banned the manufacture or import of non-biodegradable plastic used for wrapping food and shopping bags since 2017. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/sri-lanka-to-ban-imports-of-plastic-goods-to-protect-elephants/ar-BB18sz8F?ocid=mmx&PC=EMMX01

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, lenor and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

By Moonbeam: Has anyone seen anything on the survival of animals lately? We've all been so engrossed in the horror that is Trump that the pain and plight of animals hasn't been talked about that much and it is hard for me to see anything about this, with T's shadow cast.

I feel a lot of anxiety due to what is going on with climate change and the effect it has on the animal population (heat, fires, cut forests etc). Not to mention evil poachers and 'killing for fun' beings around the world.

Are we in the middle of the 6th mass extinction that will lead to a decimation of 90% of animal species or is the outlook brighter?

This exciting news just emerged, and shines a light of hope considering the staggering loss of animal species in these recent few decades .....

(USA TODAY news source) :

" A New Whale Species May Have Been Discovered Off A Remote Island In Mexico "

' We saw something new, something that was not expected in this area, something that doesn't match either visually or acoustically anything that is known to exist ...'

(from Jay Barlow/researcher)

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, lenor and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

This story about Baarack a rescued  sheep is just wonderful.  You should really see a photo of him at the link.  He was a wooly mess. And what sheep wouldn't like a name Baarack?

"A sheep found wandering in Australia had more than 75 pounds of extra wool weighing it down. The sheep, named Baarack, received a much needed shearing by Edgar’s Mission Farm Sanctuary after they rescued him earlier this month.

Underneath the heavy fleece, Baarack was actually underweight and is now bouncing back, thanks to his new friends.

'From relieving him of all that wool, removing the long and pointy grass seed that had become wedged between his cornea and eyelid that had caused a nasty ulcer, through to the many hours we spent painstakingly plucking dozens and dozens of doggedly determined grass seeds that had ploughed their way into his flesh, Baarack, a being of reason, sees us as the good guys.' "

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/baarack-a-rescued-sheep-getting-more-confident-every-day-after-losing-75-pounds-of-wool

Vesta, JourneyWithMe2, Unk p and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)

@lovendures I read that too! How wonderful that he was saved from this woolly hell he found himself in. He seems so happy with his new brethren. ❤️ 

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, JourneyWithMe2 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Amazing news.  Animals to be formally recognized as sentient beings in new UK law. Lots of new protections within the UK and for import/export.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/12/animals-to-be-formally-recognised-as-sentient-beings-in-uk-law?fbclid=IwAR1g7o24Khzwxni6t_biRecgE1IkgiEF182kTk-igIDv4NmlhxsklmPUBbQ

@jeanne-mayell

Luminous, polarberry, Vesta and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @lovendures

Amazing news.  Animals to be formally recognized as sentient beings in new UK law. Lots of new protections within the UK and for import/export.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/12/animals-to-be-formally-recognised-as-sentient-beings-in-uk-law?fbclid=IwAR1g7o24Khzwxni6t_biRecgE1IkgiEF182kTk-igIDv4NmlhxsklmPUBbQ

@jeanne-mayell

Love this! 

Rohenna, TriciaCT, Michele and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: