Notifications
Clear all

Going Zero Carbon --Sharing information on how we can start moving this way in our personal lives.

(@snowbird)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @dannyboy

Do you replace a roof if you're putting panels down and that part of the roof is fine (essentially I see panels on the roof as replacement roofing - am I wrong in that?) 

Hi @dannyboy, as Iridium (@ana) said, traditional solar panels do not substitute for roofing. Panels need to be installed on a racking system, which would then need to be removed for roof repairs or replacement. You need to determine which parts of your roof are best suited for solar, with minimal shadowing from trees or other buildings, and with consideration of structures such as chimneys or skylights that could interfere with placement. If the best areas of the roof need to be replaced anyway, you can consider whether a solar shingle roofing system would be worthwhile. 

ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

@dannyboy I'm not sure where you are, but my mom put solar panels on her house (in CA, and it's small, only 1280 sqft), and hasn't paid more than (this is not a joke) $35 per year for electricity since they were turned on.  The panels produce well more than we use, and the excess is sold back to utility company through the grid.  We get a statement each month telling us where we are in terms of billing/credits, and then in October, we get a "true-up" bill, which usually runs about - as I said - $35.  The whole setup including installation, a 30-year warranty, and free removal/replacement in case of roof repairs or re-roofing was $24,600 all in.  Her plan is to also eventually install the power-wall system with two large batteries, which would essentially mean we would be completely off-grid and that the electric utility would have to send us a check every month for the power we produce.

Snowbird, JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@dannyboy

We just replaced our roof this summer.  While we had no roof leaks from the ceiling, the roof was causing window leaks by the patio cover and a leak by the chimney.  We have a tile roof and it was 26 years old.  We did it just in time.

I am considering a solar paneled roof now but reroofing was a must before I would even contemplate solar.  I agree it would be a wad of wasted money to have to redo the solar because of a bad roof.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@dannyboy I am so glad you started getting so down to the cost estimates.  We are in the same situation. Have to redo a few things if we are going to stay here. We did $$$ water containment work in the basement crawl spaces, including a pump - (very old house). Next will come resanding the floors, then replacing kitchen laminate, AND THEN solar panels. I hope your $40,000 guestimate is high because that ain't gonna happen for us.  Yesterday I was looking at the part of the roof where solar would go and thinking, better do the roof first.

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@coyote-2 Hi Coyote-2, there's a two or three-post waiting period before the software allows the posts to just go through without moderation and with links intact. It's part of the computer software. So just keep posting and all will go through. I'd love to see that link. 

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@dannyboy @iradium Does anyone have experience with converting gas powered hot water heating system in an old house with forced hot water radiators to heat pumps?  I've read about systems in place for this conversation. But it's not straight forward. https://www.isoenergy.co.uk/latest-news/isoenergy-news/can-you-use-existing-radiators-with-a-heat-pump

JourneyWithMe2, DannyBoy, JourneyWithMe2 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@jeanne-mayell our water heater is electric so that’s a no from me.

update on the rest of it: had a long chat with the wife yesterday.  We’ve decided to do new floors and countertops in the kitchen, fix a few noticeable issues in the house and try to put it on the market in the next two years or so.  I’m bummed because I love the land but she’s right - there’s so much work to be done on this house we’ll never be able to retire unless we try something new. 

an option is to rebuild or gut the current place but I’m afraid that’s probably going to cost more than buying a different house.  

FEBbby23, JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pegesus)
Noble Member Registered

Yesterday I read a news story that researchers at Perdue University have come up with a white paint that has the potential to greatly reduce the need for air conditioning when applied to roofs. I don't have links for the article but the story should be searchable. It didn't say when this new paint would be available to the public but a major paint producer/distributor is working with them. Hopefully we will hear more and more stories about new technologies. White roofs might not work for everyone but it may be a more affordable option in some applications. 

FEBbby23, JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

A total electric early 70's stepless ranch here in the Deep South. A mere 1096 square feet, 3 bedroom, 1 bath. I would love to get solar roof power! Sadly.. way above my paygrade as a senior... heck even before retiring as a single mom who raised her kids on her own.

FEBbby23, DannyBoy, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@jeanne-mayell   My old house never had radiators (in fact it had no central heating system), so I have no experience with this.  I did look at the article, plus a couple others....  It seems that yes, you can use a heat pump to supply hot water for a radiator but it will take a lot of energy to get the water as hot as a boiler would get it.  So you'd be using a lot of electricity to get the job done, especially  in the New England winters. I do not know if this would be cost-effective.  You'd need to consult with a contractor or perhaps your utility company to run the numbers.

Instead of using the radiators, you might spend less money in the long run if you used a heat pump with forced air and retrofitted your house with mini-ducts to distribute the air (see https://www.thisoldhouse.com/heating-cooling/21015938/retrofit-air-conditioning-using-mini-ducts).    Mini-ductwork is usually better for a retrofit than standard-size ductwork because it will fit in the existing stud spaces in the walls , meaning you won't have to tear up your walls.  (That said, if you have lots of room in your attic and/or basement, putting in standard ductwork may not be difficult---  I have a huge attic and very high crawlspace under my house so we had room to put a set of standard ducts in the attic to supply the second floor via ceiling vents, and another set under the house which supplies the first floor via floor vents.  Each floor has its own heat pump. )

ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@jeanne-mayell our water heater is electric so that’s a no from me.

update on the rest of it: had a long chat with the wife yesterday.  We’ve decided to do new floors and countertops in the kitchen, fix a few noticeable issues in the house and try to put it on the market in the next two years or so.  I’m bummed because I love the land but she’s right - there’s so much work to be done on this house we’ll never be able to retire unless we try something new. 

an option is to rebuild or gut the current place but I’m afraid that’s probably going to cost more than buying a different house.  

Unsolicited advice from a veteran owner of an antique house:  Do get that roof repaired or replaced ASAP.  Most buyers will be turned off by the prospect of having to deal with roof problems . (It's just One More Thing they would have to deal with along with house-hunting and moving and financing and all the stress that entails.)    And you would be protecting your investment from runaway rot in the meantime.  

And maybe before you make a decision to sell, get a home inspector to come look at the place to see exactly what really needs to be done.  Could be less (or more) than you think.  

FEBbby23, DannyBoy, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@ana we talked again tonight - she’s willing to consider strongly a big remodel job here assuming we hire it out.  Still starting with a couple of sheets of drywall in a couple of places, new floors downstairs and the countertops but then we’ll have an appraiser come for home equity loan purposes.

Things change on a dime around here ?. But I seriously love our property.

FEBbby23, JourneyWithMe2, Iridium and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Things change on a dime around here ?. But I seriously love our property.

Location, location, location!   

(Plus home prices have gone way up in 15 years...)

FEBbby23, JourneyWithMe2, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Posted by: @tgraf66

Her plan is to also eventually install the power-wall system with two large batteries, which would essentially mean we would be completely off-grid and that the electric utility would have to send us a check every month for the power we produce.

Wow, that's great.  I have coveted a power-wall since I first learned of their existence.  And I've wanted solar panels forever.  I told the spouse the other day that I want an electric car when it's time to get a new one, then I want solar panels on the garage with a power-wall or other battery system to power the car.  He just looked at me, lol.  

FEBbby23 and FEBbby23 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell 

I deliberately didn't click on this thread for a long time because once I start....Some of you may know a lot about energy and efficiency but a few rambling basics on several topics follow..

Rooftop solar: For those living further south and in sunny climates, the benefits are clearer. In the north, solar might be a good idea, depending on the financial incentives, but there might be more cost effective ways to save energy and protect the climate.  It is also hard to evaluate solar companies and contracts. In addition, the kind of energy used by one's utility matters. If one lives in coal country, solar offers more climate benefits than where I live, for example, because my utility provides hydropower from Quebec so my power is cleaner making solar somewhat less important.

As an alternative, Jeanne, I know there are community solar programs in your state which often offer a 10% discount of regular electric rates. One signs a contract to switch to the solar provider who has a large solar field somewhat nearby, and bingo, you are buying solar power and saving money without the huge investment of roof top solar. Most of the simple contracts are easy to cancel with just three months notice. Finding customers is an expensive endeavor for solar companies so community solar programs help them find customers at a lower cost which enables them to offer the discount.

Homes: The first steps to making a house energy efficient, after replacing all incandescent bulbs with LEDs, is air sealing and insulation.  It isn't as sexy as rooftop solar but it offers the most bang for the buck. Look for a BPI (Building Performance Institute) certified installer; there are poor quality installers out there. Attic air sealing and insulation is the most important but basements matter, too. When I had my band joists (area above the basement wall but below the first floor) air sealed and insulated 20 years ago, the contractor said that the air leaks totaled to roughly a basketball-sized hole. The day they installed the insulation (low cost fiberglass like stuff), the living room was so much warmer. A corner that had been too cold to sit in, became toasty. I recommend air sealing and insulating band joists for most everyone but please, check out your attics, too. There are a number of new insulation products on the market that outperform old versions.

The trend is to electrify everything and then "green the grid." Electrifying HVAC systems isn't always easy. Electric mini-splits can replace wood or oil heat, in some cases. Geothermal is the most efficient but it is very expensive and uses a lot of electricity. Oil furnaces produce a lot of global warming pollution and the fumes are not good to inhale. Natural gas is a mixed bag. Although it burns cleaner than oil and coal it still creates carbon emissions and fracking has a host of environmental problems. Even small methane leaks can quickly make natural gas as damaging as burning coal.

Appliances: Clothes dryers and refrigerators are energy guzzlers. Refrigerators over 10 years old are considered inefficient. Gas kitchen stoves produce fumes indoors that are not good to inhale so some communities discourage them in new homes. Hot water heaters are hard to suss out for most people, including me. The newest energy efficient ones touted by the EPA, heat pump water heaters, in my mind, have a fatal flaw; they use a coolant that is powerful greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change, if released. They hope it doesn't get released but one should assume it does, given our imperfect systems.

Financial incentives for efficient appliances and HVAC systems vary state by state but there are some federal ones, too, so you might check out https://www.energy.gov/eere/buildings/state-and-local-incentives before making energy related purchases.

Sigh, so much to process in making these decisions. The comparative costs and benefits of energy efficiency decisions should be made easier and information should be widely available for the average consumer.

Two highly trusted resources:

Green Building Advisor https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/   (may require a subscription.)

ACEEE   https://www.aceee.org/

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, FEBbby23 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snowbird)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @journeywithme2

A total electric early 70's stepless ranch here in the Deep South. A mere 1096 square feet, 3 bedroom, 1 bath. I would love to get solar roof power! Sadly.. way above my paygrade as a senior... heck even before retiring as a single mom who raised her kids on her own.

@journeywithme2, I grew up in the Deep South (northeast Florida) and weathered my share of hurricanes with power outages, heat, and humidity. If you are curious, check out the Instant Estimate from Energy Sage https://www.energysage.com  to find out what it would take to go solar in your home. It may be less than you think. Scroll to the bottom of the web page and click on Instant Estimate. You input your street address and using a satellite view of your roof and knowledge of your location they generate a ballpark figure. Some states also have incentives for adding solar panels, such as no sales tax.

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, Iridium and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@raincloud   Great advice, to optimize what you already have and go from there.  

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@ana Thank you for the information and suggestions. Sounds like I need to call one of those consultants who come in and figure out the best move.  Our state offers free advice in this way. 

Unk p, Iridium, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

If I'd known this about electric cars, I would have gotten one much sooner. 

My neighbors brought their electric cars to the library parking lot yesterday and told us what they were like to own.

Very Low Maintenance Costs:* I hadn't known that EV's are much cheaper to maintain. Like MUCH cheaper.  I'd been waiting for Toyota to issue an affordable EV because my Prius is now at 250,000 miles and running with little maintenance and I wouldn't buy an American car or any other make for that reason. But I met people with their all electric Chevy Bolts, Mustangs, VW, Hyundai, Nissans and everyone universally said there was little to know maintenance needed. Of course no one there had their cars more than five years. But still. We had an Audi once and it needed a ring job at 30,000 miles. 

The battery, motor, and associated electronics require little to no regular maintenance. There are fewer fluids, such as engine oil, that require regular maintenance. Brake wear is significantly reduced due to regenerative braking. There are far fewer moving parts relative to a conventional gasoline engine.

Zero Pollution. Really zero. It it's not just that I won't be contributing to the carbon blanket with an EV, I can park this car in the garage that is below a bedroom in my house and there won't be fumes.  No fumes come out of this car.  This fact also means that once everyone goes EV, people living near major roadways won't suffer from the emissions. In America, those tend to be the low income and people of color because transportation tends to be routed through their neighborhoods.

Imagine Los Angelos with all electric cars.  

Most EV's have huge government tax breaks and rebates if you buy them. I am waiting to get a list that I can post of the savings that accompany these cars. Many come with $9,000 reductions.  People said that it was very cool to get a big government check after they bought their car. 

Guys: There is no machismo loss with EV's:  No one can tell from the way it looks and drives that it's an EV.  Two guys at the event yesterday had EV Ford Mustangs. As my husband put it, "these cars scream" (i.e., I think that means they are fast). One guy had an EV SUV (it was a VW). 

*My mechanic was trying to discourage me from getting one and now I know why - he won't be needed. 

Snowbird, Unk p, Iridium and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@snowbird Energysage is great. I've gotten estimates from them and learned that all solar equipment  is not equal.Some solar companies use much more efficient panels than others. Some use higher quality panels. Energysage helps you navigate the companies and the quotes. They also are up on the government rebate offers so that your final cost is much lower. 

Snowbird and Snowbird reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: