Notifications
Clear all

Atlantic Hurricane Season 2022

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hey Everybody!

Here is where we will put our predictions and news for the 2022 hurricane season.

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)
Illustrious Member Registered

Here is the list of names for the potential Atlantic hurricanes of 2022:

Atlantic Tropical (and Subtropical) Storm Names for 2022

Alex Hermine Owen
Bonnie Idalia Phillippe
Colin Jose Rina
Danielle Karl Shary
Earl Lisa Tammy
Fiona Martin Virginie
Gaston Nicole Walter

In the event that there are so many hurricanes that we run out of names on this ^ list, here is a list of supplemental names (the WMO has decided to abandon the use of the Greek alphabet to name storms):

Adria Heath Orlanda
Braylen Isla Pax
Caridad Jacobus Ronin
Deshawn Kenzie Sophie
Emery Lucio Tayshaun
Foster Makayla Viviana
Gemma Nolan Will

Some of the names on these lists have been used before, which strikes me as lazy- there are millions of names on Earth to choose from, but they didn't ask me, now did they?

Anyway, feel free to make your predictions below!

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, deetoo and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@unk-p  I feel it's going to be a very active year this year with 2 significant ones.. that are Cat 4 or Cat 5's   One near Charleston,SC and another for the Louisiana Alabama Florida Panhandle areas.

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@journeywithme2  i agree it will probably be hyperactive this year.

- I was trying to create a new topic for this post, but it is appearing under last year's 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season heading.  I can't tell if it is bc i have forgotten how to create a new topic, or if the button is missing?  I also noticed the "Return to top" button that used to be in the bottom right area of the screen is also missing.  Is it the same for you?

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@unk-p  Indeed it is... I am not super tech savvy so I am afraid I am pretty much useless in figuring out how to make any changes tho.

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, PamP and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Avon
(@avon)
Noble Member Registered

@unk-p glad to see I'm not crazy, I tried to create a new topic a couple of weeks ago and couldn't figure it out, so I abandoned it. I figured because I don't post often enough maybe I didn't have access. 🤷‍♀️ 

But I have a feeling the east coast will have a couple larger storms this year. Last year we only had one and I believe it was only a tropical storm. I'm thankful, but I doubt we'll be so lucky this year. 

Jeanne Mayell, Maggieci, deetoo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@unk-p 

@journeywithme2

We will create a new category for this hurricane season and move the posts.  It might take a little bit but it will be done.  Thanks!

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, PamP and 10 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@lovendures thanks, Love!

Right now the Atlantic is calm, due to the Saharan Desert dust that is blowing all the way to Texas. (Which explains why my house is so dusty!)  A cool thing about that dust falling on the ocean is that it feeds the plankton, and plankton feeds the whales.

Lauren, deetoo, FEBbby23 and 22 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@blackandwhite)
Noble Member Registered

This year it's been abnormally hot in Houston, that makes me worry on our hurricane season. Hopefully we don't flood this year but I'm not holding my breath at this point. 

deetoo, FEBbby23, Maggieci and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@blackandwhite)
Noble Member Registered

This is really how it feels this summer. 

Freya, deetoo, Maggieci and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @unk-p

@lovendures thanks, Love!

Right now the Atlantic is calm, due to the Saharan Desert dust that is blowing all the way to Texas. (Which explains why my house is so dusty!)  A cool thing about that dust falling on the ocean is that it feeds the plankton, and plankton feeds the whales.

Thank you for that awesome tidbit.  I love thinking about that, @Unk-p.  I love learning how our earth feeds its inhabitants.

FEBbby23, deetoo, Lovendures and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

The news of the Saharan dust/food is very positive and relevant today, in light of this story:

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/humanity-will-not-survive-extinction-of-most-marine-plants-and-animals/

"An Edinburgh-based research team fears plankton, the tiny organisms that sustain life in our seas, has all but been wiped out after spending two years collecting water samples from the Atlantic.

The landmark research blames chemical pollution from plastics, farm fertilisers and pharmaceuticals in the water. Previously, it was thought the amount of plankton had halved since the 1940s, but the evidence gathered by the Scots suggest 90% has now vanished."

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Lovendures and 10 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

In the Pacific off of Baja California, Hurricane Kay is off the coast and will bring some rain to California and Arizona.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

A hurricane warning has been issued for Puerto Rico from T.S. Fiona.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/puerto-rico-hurricane-watch-tropical-storm-fiona-approaches-rcna48181

Remnants of a Typhoon are battering Alaska and uprooting homes from their foundations. The center of the storm is making it's way up the Bering Strait. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alaska-storm-major-flooding-residents-evacuated/

Baja California is getting hit by the tip of another Tropical Storm, this one called Madeline.

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

All of Puerto Rico is without power right now from Hurricane Fiona and Firona is threatening to dump "historic" levels of rain on the Island. Forecasters said the downpour was expected to produce landslides and catastrophic flooding, with up to 25 inches (64 centimeters) possible in isolated areas. Biden has declared Puerto Rico a disaster area. 

25  INCHES!  GOOD GRIEF!!!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fiona-hurricane-puerto-rico-tropical-storm-forecast/

ReplyQuote
 PamP
(@pamp)
Famed Member Registered

While meditating on the hurricane season, I saw a Noreaster affecting the northern Atlantic states and flooding in the NYC subway. I felt very cold, and it felt later in the year, near the holidays.

FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell, Lauren and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Looks like Florida and/or other parts of the Gulf coast will be getting a visit from TD 9, soon to be named either "Hermine" or "Ian".  It's  expected to strengthen quickly.  Here's an excerpt from WeatherTiger's newsletter that I just received:

The bottom line is if TD 9 doesn’t sprint across South Florida or east-central Florida on Tuesday or Wednesday, which is possible, what might happen after that is unclear. Projecting a landfall point with this type of forecast track is impossible, as the narrow angle of approach between the storm’s motion and the orientation of the Florida Gulf coastline means small track deviations can have huge implications. During Hurricane Charley, a subtle shift in heading just prior to landfall brought the ferocious core of the storm into the Ft. Myers area, rather than Tampa Bay. Don’t focus on a forecast point: as of now, no one is off the hook in Florida.

There are many new Florida residents since the last serious hurricane threat, which I can tell because some of you are still using your turn signals. At this stage, know that this threat merits active preparation. In South Florida, you need to be putting your hurricane plans into action, including preparing to evacuate if an order is issued by your local authorities. In North Florida, get your hurricane plan and kit in order, and continue to monitor the situation. Hopefully Florida’s luck isn’t up this week, but if it is, preparation is essential. Keep watching the skies.

Luminous, PamP, Lauren and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Looks like our storm will be "Ian".   "Hermine", off the coast of Africa, was just named. 

Luminous, Jeanne Mayell, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

As of this writing, the cone warning for IAN is over the entire state of Florida!  The entire state!!!

If you live anywhere in Florida, you really need to be prepared because getting your act together once things  are more narrowed down might not give you enough time to act.

Luminous, PamP, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

Ian slowed down-- he was supposed to be at my place on Tuesday AM but now it's more like Thursday or Friday.  No worries for myself- we're away from the coast and always have plenty of supplies.  The main thing we have to do is secure anything outside that could get blown around.  Last week we had tree trimmers come trim off some dead tree branches so that's good. 

I know it's crazy but I love these storms.  Obviously they can mess with the well-being of humans and the built environment, but in themselves they have an beautiful, rejuvenating, cleansing energy.  And they serve to remind us of the awesome power of nature.    I like to sneak out briefly and feel the wind and the rain, watch the treetops blow around, and take in some of the energy when it's not dangerously intense.   

Rohenna, Avon, Luminous and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: