Notifications
Clear all

Maui fires

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

The Maui situation continues to unfold. Even the fires are still going on at a low level, the cause of the fires is still being explored (looks it may have started with power lines) and most of the dead are not yet identified or counted. 

I think about the people there and the animals constantly. Over the last few days, I haven’t thought of much else. Has anyone else found themselves so immersed in this tragedy? I believe that when we are focused like that, feeling the grief and shock, that we are unconsciously siphoning off some of their pain. 

i am also concerned about predatory businesses that would try to scarf up people’s real estate holdings there. The governor has mentioned this problem, asking his attorney general to figure out a way to place a moratorium on real estate sales. But then later it seems he was talking about a different approach which would be to see if the state government could buy up property that owners want to seek in order to protect it for the indigenous population. 

So many things going on there. 

Lauren, Freya, raincloud and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@debbie-m)
Noble Member Registered

My son, wife and two children live in upcountry Maui five miles from the Kula fire. They were saved by the winds blowing away from them so not only am I obsessed with any news from there but I am in constant touch with my daughter in law who sends stories from both personal experiences shared by a friend who spent the night in the ocean even though her Mother can't swim, how to contribute to worthy local efforts, gofundme accounts and newspaper articles about the efforts by big corporations to take resources from Native Hawaiians for decades now especially precious water supply. I have signed a petition and donated to an ongoing effort to force the electric company to put power lines underground. I also am uplifted by efforts to save my beloved beautiful world famous banyon tree and the aloha spirit of the Maui community. So I do think that you are right Jeanne about our aiding in taking their pain away. Maui Strong!

Lovendures, 2ndfdl, tybin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@debbie-m 

I am so hap[y your family is safe and was spared by fire. I am hopeful the Gagnon tree will be a source of hope and resilience.  Such loss!  Especially the children. After mental health and immediate needs, I hope priority is placed on the native Hawaiian population and preserving their culture.

Debbie M., Lauren, gbs and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

Signs of hope: the Banyan tree is growing new leaves!

ghandigirl, gbs and Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: