Brent Kavanaugh Sup...

Notifications
Clear all

Brent Kavanaugh Supreme Court Nominee

(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

Thank you for that clarification, Cindy.  But what a nice Hail Mary Pass or whatever the closest analogy might eventually become.

Also, how are those of you adding images doing this? The formats I have show no image boxes at all and when I was on Wi-Fi and a desktop never saw one there, either. If you're using a word processing program share please.

ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

Avenatti has only said that his client is a woman with credible information with regards to Kavanaugh and Judge. He's noted she's worked within the State Dept, DOJ, and US Mint-and as such has held security clearances. He's been quick to note she's not Ramirez or the woman cited in the local Montgomery County MD publication-The Sentinal , which was making headlines on Twitter today. According to the Sentinal, there was a witness who came forward to the Mont. Co. investigators about a second high school incident involving Kavanaugh. However the victim has not come forward, or filed a complaint at this time-as noted in a press release by the Mont. Co. PD.  

Avenatti's not disclosed more, so at this point we don't know if she's just a witness or if she has personal assault claims as well. If she is a victim, and the Sentinal is correct, then there are possibly 4 incidents of misconduct. Avenatti won't release more information until they have her security in place. He's been pushing for the hearing on Thurs. to have Judge called as a witness, something that Judge has declined from doing. Eventually, we'll find out if she's another victim, or a witness. He's also walking a fine legal line with his public claims of gang rape involving Kavanaugh and Judge, so either he has proof to back up his claims, or he's gambling with his law license/career to grand stand with such claims, as making claims of 

As far as pictures go-I haven't seen a way to do it in the editor here, so I use HTML coding to do it since there is a source code function. 

Michele and Michele reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

At Yale Law School, a student sit-in culminated in a speech by one of their alumnae, Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee and who lays out the issues with simple clarity - both why the hearings of the victims must go forward and why he opposes Kavanaugh.  

TriciaCT, Shawn, Michele and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

Thanks Cindy and Jeanne. Very interesting info. I'm finding I can get as much or more (including the intuitive thoughts on this site) as I can from most of my New York Times.

I watched the full harvest moon outside last night. It was as big and bright of a full moon as we'd ever since and instantly I felt so at peace with the beauty and wonders of this world and the deep inner knowledge that we will all be o.k.

Going out and looking up is so centering. I felt such love for everyone and everything, especially all of you here ❤

villager, VestraLux, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tag22)
Prominent Member Registered

I think the whole Trump thing with Rosenstein is another misdirect to draw attention away from Kavanaugh.  Trump never meets with anyone he is going to fire.  He is too much of  a coward. Now suddenly there is a meeting with Rosenstein scheduled on the same day that Dr. Blasey Ford is set to testify.  A brave woman standing up for herself sure makes these Republican men nervous.

ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)

Excellent, Tag22. We have to keep Trump's patterns of fear and putting the scent elsewhere!

Always using his innate sneaky machinations into almost automatic plays. Funny how a chaotic mind tends to work well that way!

And we are so filled with our own continual "are you kidding me?" disbelief that we can become battle weary and only hear the latest gunshot instead of seeing the smoking gun behind our immediate news horizon.

ReplyQuote
(@tag22)
Prominent Member Registered

Totally agree, Michelle B.  It is like watching Ocean's Eight starring the Three Stooges. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous.  I have noticed that weird stories are popping up in my online news feed even on some trusted sites.  My gut just clinches and says No to many of these stories.  I think propaganda is being leaked or money is being paid to get the false narrative to as many people as possible.  You really have to stay tuned in to your intuition and research what you read these days.

Michele, Jeanne Mayell, Michele and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

Senator Blumenthal is our senator, and prior he was the attny general of CT. During his time as AG of CT  he always sought out wrongs to right. Kinda a "white knight" of justice which is why he was a shoe in for senator.  He seems to be a very stand up guy... wish we had someone like him in the WH!

TaG22 and TaG22 reacted
ReplyQuote
 Baba
(@baba)
Illustrious Member Moderator

It’s still pretty early in the day there and there have already been several developments on the Kavanaugh nomination - none of which look positive for him.

https://www.apnews.com/3b0c96afc41140929608ffc65847b62a/For d's-lawyers-submit-4-affidavits-backing-up-assault-story

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/408490-avenatti-releases-clients-identity-allegations-against-kavanaugh

What makes me shake my head is that McConnell is still claiming that they are going to move forward and get him confirmed. Is anyone out there sensing anything on this? I concentrated and drew one card asking that it sum up the outcome tomorrow and drew Strength (Rider Waite tarot). It is kind of funny that the picture is of a woman petting a lion - and being in control of the situation. 

I feel like things are going to come to a head tomorrow on this situation. It will probably be another one of those days that we have had recently when it seems like many things are happening at once. 

As always, I’m happy to hear everyone’s thoughts and interpretations of this. 

mariad, RosieHeart, mariad and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@larel)
Trusted Member Registered

Regardless of the outcome, I keep getting the deep sense that this painful outrageous Kavanaugh/GOP mess is all necessary and a pivotal moment in the big shift happening. Think about what this is exposing and who is discussing this, like teenagers (to them this is not about what happened 35 years ago but their "now"). Women (and men) are sharing their stories, speaking out, rising up and mobilizing. The Strength card and imagery is spot on - think about what these strong women are risking to bring their stories to the front, how empowering that is for others.  

Unk p, mariad, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

Baba, I think the strength card shows the strength that these women coming forward have. As a survivor, I applaud them and support them wholeheartedly. It is very indicative to me of the woman having the upper hand when dealing with a beast-very appropriate for this situation, regardless of whether you think of the beast as Kavanaugh, Trump, or the GOP. 

Today's bombshell was from Avenatti. His client was both a witness to multiple parties where Kavanaugh was excessively drunk, and repeatedly inappropriate in his actions towards women, witness to parties Kavanaugh attended where the practice of spiking drinks to incapacitate girls with the intent to gang rape them was employed, as well as a victim of gang rape herself at a party where Kavanaugh was present. She not only came forward, but signed a legal declaration that she would be subject to perjury if the contents of her statement were untrue. She's got a long list of government security clearances. She knows full well she's putting her clearances and livelihood on the line. 

Trump's statements on all this are as vile and disgusting as usual, and will have blow back for the GOP. He noted he wished that he had not listened to the first complaint and wished he pushed to have a confirmation vote pushed forth a few weeks ago. It's not much different from the GOP leaders trying to push a vote on Kavanaugh by Friday, or playing hard ball with Dr. Ford to rush into a confirmation vote. 

Ironic that in the calendar that Kavanaugh released today backs up some of the new claims. The Declaration was signed and dated yesterday. She named one occasion of such aggressive behavior she witnessed by Kavanaugh as during Beach Week, which is clearly scrolled across one week of Kavanaugh's calendar.  

Avenatti published the 3 page declaration in it's entirety here: Avenatti twitter

I have seen at least one Democratic Congressman who not only has called for the confirmation process to be halted, but given Kavanaugh's previous testimony, this new information indicates that he was not honest while under oath. This is a felony, and the congressman is stating that just halting the nomination is not enough, perjury warrants impeachment to strip him of his role as judge. 

Things should get interesting, to say the least. 

Unk p, mariad, villager and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

I drew 3 cards asking if after the hearing on Thursday would Kavanaugh be confirmed and got a no!: 1. DEATH card, 2. Five of Swords, 3. Seven of swords!

Unk p, mariad, RosieHeart and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Here comes a 4th accusation. This one comes from someone with witnesses, from 1998(adulthood), and sent to a GOP office so it takes out all of the standard rebuttals used so far. 

mariad and mariad reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

And a fifth, though both 4 and 5 are anonymous.  I think it is going to make it more difficult for him to be confirmed now than 3 days ago with 5 women coming forward though the 2 anonymous ones don't hold nearly as much weight.

If he is indeed confirmed, I would imagine it will cause a lot of backlash, the type that might fulfill some predictions here.

mariad and mariad reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

If he gets confirmed, the GOP is toast. Even though thereare still some that insist(gulp) that all teenagers do that, the bulk of republican voting women will abandon the party at the voting booths. The last 2 dont hold as much weight, but 5 accusations, one going to a republican senator, holds more weight than 3. I would say he is done, and I really feel he is, but in this bizarro world we live in right now, I wouldnt be surprised by anything anymore. 

The positive is that Avenatti's client is going to be a big pain for Kavanaugh. There is no statute of limitations in MD and Avenatti is a press hungry bulldog that wont let go of it. He could end up in jail because of that one even if he does get confirmed.

Unk p, mariad, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: Cindy

As a survivor, I applaud them and support them wholeheartedly. 

I also am a survivor.  

And  today I will watch Christine Ford for one reason: to send her support.  I will breath my light to her.  To send her all the empowerment, and solidarity I can.  To help her and thank her for her courage. 

My wonderful husband showed me a powerful letter to the editor in the Boston Globe  from a 73 year old woman who rattled off all of the times she was assaulted during her youth. her point was that many many women have endured this treatment and never told anyone.   I turned to him and rattled off my own long list of sexual assaults,  none of which I ever reported to anyone because of the shame I felt and the belief at the time that these incidents were  part of the status quo.

In my early twenties, three doctors at different times assaulted me during medical exams.  In college, a doctor flirted with me while conducting an unnecessary pelvic exam when I appeared for cystitis asking for antibiotics.  In my  twenties, two doctors at different times gave me unnecessary breast exams while going through routine general questions about my health.  

I was stunned and ashamed and at the time didn't know what to do.  We've been trained to give respect to doctors.

A male counselor groped me after a counseling session. I was leaving the session feeling grateful for his help when he reached for a hug and it turned into a grope.  A former colleague who taught economics at Wellesley College did the same -- a friendly hug turned into a grope when we parted after he dropped by to give me college entrance advice for my kids.

I always thought I'd done something to cause these and other assaults, until the Me Too movement taught me otherwise.  I didn't even know these incidents were legally considered assaults!  

I felt implicated in these incidents even though I'd done nothing to invite an assault.  I had done nothing more than be warm and friendly as one person to another.  Would I assert myself physically on someone who was warm and friendly to me, even if I were attracted to them?  NO!  Never!  Not ever!  So why would it be okay for someone to do that to me, just because I was being nice?

In the case of the doctors, I can't tell you how many times I wished over the years I had reported those men.    Only a year after the counselor assaulted me, I learned that he assaulted another woman who walked out of his office and brought a police officer back to arrest him.  He was forced to leave his practice. 

I offer this information out of support for Christine Ford and all women who have wanted to come forward but were afraid. I didn't come forward then, but I am now. 

It is hard to disclose all this, but I feel that if Christine Ford and the other women are willing to risk their lives, I can risk my embarrassment.  I want to show one thing by disclosing:  That so many women have been assaulted and never ever told anyone.  The fact that we never told anyone stems from the oppression of women, not from the fact that it didn't happen.  

Unk p, TaG22, Robin and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

Jeanne, Cindy and all women who have had these things happen to them:  my heart goes out to you. I was also in a situation where I could have been Christine Ford but a boy who liked me saved me from the same fate.  I've been kidnapped at the age of 14 and my kidnapper told me horrible things he would do to me and I actually jumped out of a moving car and ran to a school bus and went to school without reporting it. WHY? because my father would have been so angry in my 14 yrs old mind that I got in the car in the first place.  I know the kind of man Brett Kavanaugh is - I went to school with many of them. 

What is scary to me is that I heard Donald Trump on a news briefing early last night say that if Kavanaugh does or doesn't get confirmed he will just get another justice AND he said he might even add several more!  My brain hurt just listening to him since he was rambling and narcissisticly bragging non stop...but I wanted to put this out there to everyone. How many justices to the Supreme court do we see this nut being able to put on the court?

Unk p, TaG22, Michele and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Dont hold any guilt over that, Jeanne. Its been so commonplace for so many years that women have been conditioned to overlook it and question themselves. 

Heres a little story that might help you, or someone else.....

About 3 years ago, my wife went off on me about my belt buckle jingling one night. Being so out of left field, I started subtly exploring why the belt buckle triggered her. It turns out she had been subjected to her boss changing clothes in the cubicle next to her, in her direct line of sight and she had to hear his buckle jingle when it happened every day. She never even realized it was sexual harassment because she was the only woman in the department and he used the guise of a "medical issue" as to why he had to change there and not in the bathroom. Everyone up the ladder knew it happened and noone said anything because he was "one of the boys" in a "good ol boys" system. 

She finally reported it to HR, after I had offered to handle it in a way a good ol boy would better understand(not my proudest moment but I couldnt let it continue). She was immediately told she was overreacting by the female HR director, transferred to a different department and fired 6 months to the day later. After getting fired, I find out that another of the "boys" had given her a pearl necklace as a joke prior to that. She had been subjected to an entire culture of misogyny and never even realized it was happening. Even now, she still has her days where she feels like she shouldnt have said anything. 

Her story ends with her getting another job with a major company that is dedicated to spending a ton of resources keeping that from happening, but she still questions herself as to whether she overreacted on occasion. 

The entire culture is brainwashed to think that is ok and normal and women are made to question themselves as victims. I would be surprised if someone came to me and said less than 90% of American women have dealt with this-its just that common. Women dont need to feel bad about overlooking or ignoring it-you have been trained for generations and raised to do that. Hopefully now, the culture changes and women start getting retrained to not accept that garbage anymore.

Sorry for the rant at the end, but as a man who is sick of seeing this, I just got set off a little by your story.

Lovendures, Bee, Unk p and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

I grew up in the 1950's and was molessted by two family members.  When I tried to complain they stated they were training me for my husband.  This started when I was five and continued until I was 12 .  I was raised in a family where men were important and  women were there to cheer them on.  No  one would have listened to me. Even though I went through years of  therepy I don't really like to be touched and  have chosen to live a single life.

I do want to say this about Republican women, the ones that I know, have little or no respect for women.  A relative of mine posted on facebook when Dr. Ford came forward, that she was "just a loud mouthed liberal who was looking for a big book deal to make money at  the expense of a man's reputation."  The "boys will be boys and women are to blame" rheteric seems to be comman place.  Please note I stated "the ones that  I know"  I'm sure there are lots of  Republican  women who are outraged by this behavior but won't speak up for the good of the party>  

Lastly, the most powerful quote I  have seen all week was by  Will SMith.  I have to paraphrase because I don't remember the exact words,but basically he said athe men who laugh at the way they used women should have to dry the tears of their daughters when they are treated the same way.  Powerful!  I pray daily for the end of this national nightmare we have endured for the last two years but I am afraid it will go on for the rest of my life.

Bee, Unk p, TaG22 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Baba
(@baba)

Thank you to everyone for sharing. I admire your courage and strength. I get the impression that most of us women of a certain age have experienced harassment of this type. Although I was under the impression during the 70’s growing up that women had made great strides towards equality, it was clear from high school onwards that men still found it appropriate to cat call, verbally harass, physically harass  and generally make it clear that we were less valuable than they were and that we were to be treated as objects. I lost count of the amount of times that passes were made, vulgar comments about body parts were made and all just when trying to work in an office. As I grew up in the south, I just assumed that it was the way they were. Luckily, my mother, although she left when I was still young, managed to impress upon me that I did not have to put up with such things and to fight back - even physically when necessary. As a result, I developed sharp elbows and an even sharper tongue. I am grateful for this and that things are finally changing. 

I send light and comfort to the victims so that they can tell their stories and begin to heal and I especially send light to Christine Blasey Ford today that she can speak her truth so that justice will be done. 

Unk p, TaG22, VestraLux and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 15
Share: