2024 Election Issue...

Notifications
Clear all

2024 Election Issues and Campaigns

(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

@kathleen-m I wouldn't worry about that. Any such vote would likely be strongly on party lines, which means there's no way to get to 2/3 in even one house, much less both.

PamP, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kathleen-m)
Estimable Member Registered

@tgraf66 

I hope you're right!

PamP, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

Ok, so this seems petty, even to me who is about to make these comments, nonetheless, I think there is a kernel of information in this observation: zoom in on this NYT photo of DeSantis and his family.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/18/us/politics/ron-desantis-age.html

Notice that all of the clothes the children are wearing are too big for them...about two sizes too big. Also, I suspect there is some make up on them. This picture make me feel that there is something really off in terms of the parenting of these children.

My professional background includes a stint as social worker in an elementary school and fortunately or unfortunately my "ick" antenna proved to be mostly accurate. My heart goes out to these kiddos.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Seeker4 and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@maggieci)
Noble Member Registered

@raincloud Yes, the dress off the shoulder, pants and shoes too large. Like the clothes were bought for some other children.

PamP, Seeker4, Lauren and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

I'm not even sure where to put this, but it's a bomb. Granted, everything in it is no surprise if you've listened to Sarah Kendzior or Elizabeth Cronise McLaughlin at all over the past seven years. But given this reporting, I would be interested to see what you all pick up about the DOJ and judicial system and FBI after this. As soon as I started reading it, I heard the Joker from the first Batman movie ... 'This town needs an enema.'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2023/06/19/fbi-resisted-opening-probe-into-trumps-role-jan-6-more-than-year/

PamP, Unk p, Seeker4 and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@danielle)
Reputable Member Registered

@maggieci They seem awfully thin, too.

PamP, Lauren, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kathleen-m)

@saibh 

Thanks for that article on the lagging investigations into Jan 6. It's ironic that the DOJ tiptoes around corrupt Trump and his closest allies while Jim Jordan aggressively pursues subpoenas and threatens legal action against respected think tanks because they have the audacity to investigate and report fake news. We are still living in an upside down world of the truth being prosecuted for being the truth. See this article from NY times today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/business/gop-disinformation-researchers-2024-election.html

PamP, Freya, Unk p and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kathleen-m)

@saibh 

Thanks for that article on the lagging investigations into Jan 6. It's ironic that the DOJ tiptoes around corrupt Trump and his closest allies while Jim Jordan aggressively pursues subpoenas and threatens legal action against respected think tanks because they have the audacity to investigate and report fake news. We are still living in an upside down world of the truth being prosecuted for being the truth. See this article from NY times today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/business/gop-disinformation-researchers-2024-election.html

Unk p, deetoo, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Kamala in her powerful way has taken swing Ron DeSantis for the latest Florida curriculum that would teach kids that slaves had a lot of benefits in gaining expertise while enslaved.  Are you kidding me?   DeSantis has become even more extremist than he already is in his last gasp attempt to beat TFG to the nomination.  

I've been in Florida for half of the summer and even the conservative Orlando Sentinel doesn't like him. 

Today Kamala took him on as he attempts to force educators to teach Florida kids that slaves had a lot of benefits in gaining expertise while enslaved. Wha' the?

Here is Kamala coming in swinging: 

Harris says Florida curriculum  is replacing history with lies

PamP, Freya, Unk p and 10 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Want to add this to the Florida DeSantis slavery scandal.  The Miami Herald:  Teachers enraged that Florida’s new Black history standards say slaves could ‘benefit’

Or maybe this will be his undoing: Floridians to DeSantis: come home and fix our housing crisis (that insurers are pulling out of Florida housing markets

I know what you are thinking -- if Ron fails, then we get TFG.  I know. But I'm sure  Biden will win anyway.  

PamP, Unk p, Seeker4 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@hailycomet)
Eminent Member Contributor

Research where the GOP is getting their money. You'll find the church/religious sect is backing their crazy. Pay attention!! The church/religious sect is using them to pass bills limiting the rights of all. We are headed into another Age of Inquisition. The separation of church and state is being impeded upon. The government will need to impose new policies, thereby, lessening their freedoms. Take away the non-profit exemptions and revoke deductions. Time to tax them heavily. Also, be aware, the Supreme Court is passing restrictive laws without public knowledge. Attacks against LGBTQ, African Americans, and Women are just the beginning onslaught of trying to rewrite the constitution. 

PamP, Vesta and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this.  Like so many others I am anxious about the calls for violence and civil war from Trump and his supporters. Every day I see articles highlighting that dysfunction.

Today I happened upon this opinion piece from Raw Story. After reading it, I felt significantly more hopeful.

Here's why America won't go to 'civil war' over Trump - Raw Story - Celebrating 19 Years of Independent Journalism

PamP, Seeker4, FEBbby23 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@ghandigirl Thank you so much for sharing this article - I read it, but the gist is also right there in the title.

We're watching, in real-time, an incredible moment for our country.  It's very apparent lots of traps have been laid by the justice department for those who sought to overturn our democracy, and there are so many of them they're going to snap like dominoes fall once the right one is touched.  

But more importantly, this is a monster they created - T is likely going to be the nominee, and nothing that's happened since he left office is going to attract the independents who swung Biden back.  Imagine how bad it's going to get when the rest of the indictments drop and also include members of the house and Senate.

PamP, Dracaena, raincloud and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@dannyboy I am waiting with bated breath!!! I KNOW it is coming and I will rejoice in Justice truly being served and ALL of those responsible for these attacks on our country... on us... to be held accountable. As I have been saying since Jan.6th... "there is no healing without accountability" ...and ... accountability is coming...and soon!

PamP, Freya, raincloud and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

@maggieci 

Perhaps these clothes are hand me downs from cousins. My daughter got a lot of them, cousins and hand me downs, and they didn't always fit well.

Also DeSantis has terrible style. Maybe that extends to his kids.

I would hate to believe there is harm being done...besides the overt racism. Well thats probably bad enough isn't it?

PamP, Maggieci, Seeker4 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

Also he strikes me as being cheap. Those white boots haunt me...thrift store purchases maybe. 

PamP, Maggieci, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@ghandigirl The white boots haunt everyone 🤣

PamP, Freya, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

Want to add this to the Florida DeSantis slavery scandal.  The Miami Herald:  Teachers enraged that Florida’s new Black history standards say slaves could ‘benefit’

let me get this straight: it is now illegal for teachers in Florida to talk about how white people profited from enslaving Black people, but now he wants them to teach children that Black people benefitted from being enslaved?  He mentions that the slaves got to learn blacksmithing, for instance.  Yeah, they learned to be blacksmiths by being forced to make chains and leg irons and metal collars for themselves, and their fellow slaves(!).   DeSatan needs to go directly back to whatever Hell he came from.

And as to this whole anti-"woke" thing that he can't even define- well, i can explain it easily:

so, who is "woke"?

Whoever

Offers

Kindness or

Empathy

and what is "woke"?

Whatever

Offends

Klansmen

Easily

PamP, raincloud, JackofHearts and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

Posted by: @unk-p

Yeah, they learned to be blacksmiths by being forced to make chains and leg irons and metal collars for themselves, and their fellow slaves(!).

This is a thread on Spoutible from author, independent researcher, and data analyst Cynthia Williams. The people who were brought here to be slaves were already highly knowledgeable about pretty much everything the plantation owners needed to operate, so they taught, rather than learning, which is likely why they were enslaved in the first place:

https://spoutible.com/thread/12168417

deetoo and Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

Is anyone watching the Republican debates tonight?    Me neither.  I really would have, but this was my night to scotchguard my golf bags. Fortunately, Evan Hurst is liveblogging it over on Wonkette:

https://www.wonkette.com/p/live-republican-debate-or-criminal

PamP, Seeker4, Lauren and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 15
Share: