Notifications
Clear all

Tiktok ban

(@bmaaack)
Trusted Member Participant
Topic starter  

I find it so sad that free speech is being attacked in a bipartisan way and this app is used as a scapegoat.  Truth of the matter is that many politicians that say they want to ban it have heavily and recently invested in rival companies.  Tiktok has the same access that any of the thousands of available apps on our phones have, but is being used to create fear.  My own local congressman has said he wants to ban it and has also recently purchased tons of meta stock.  I wonder if any similar app will come up when this becomes banned because people need an easy way to connect similar to what tiktok offered.

Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bwitt Hi bwitt, thanks for posting.

Barring new information, I am for some kind of ban or restricted use. I don't want the Chinese government to have that much data and influence on Americans, especially the youth. I know it is complex. The Intelligencer article I posted below shows how complicated it is.

So I'm glad you started posting about it.

I'd like people who post about it to use their posts to inform us with facts and avoid unvalidated claims. So if you believe, as you wrote, that "many politicians that say they want to ban it have heavily and recently invested in rival companies," please provide a credible link to that statement.

Even if it's true that many politicians are invested in rival apps, I am still very uncomfortable with the Chinese government having so much influence and power over American users, especially our youth.

Lauren and Pegesus reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

RE: Tiktok ban. When we had a website glitch, the post below by @bwitt was inadvertently deleted.  Restoring it here below: 

@jeanne-mayell https://www.benzinga.com/amp/content/31521439

https://readsludge.com/2021/10/15/members-of-congress-own-millions-in-facebook-stock-while-weighing-new-tech-laws/

Lauren reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Reminding all that darling hubby works in software related to cybersecurity. First, anyone with a government clearance is not allowed to download TikTok anywhere. Second, the CCP absolutely uses it as a back door surveillance tool. They scrape geodata and metadata from its users.

lenor, Jeanne Mayell, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jackofhearts)
Noble Member Registered

@laura-f is absolutely correct.  

I do have it in an isolated environment with no (apparent) linkage to me... based on that I find it interesting it thinks I am a flat earther, i have a crush on a Ukrainian volleyball player, I didn't grow up in the '70s and 80's so movie clips used as "news" stories I might not clue in about.  Artwork that is pretty professional looking tends to have Western "news" items portrayed with very Asian-looking persons, and I think somewhere, I am also a very devout Muslim.   

So... that's a fail!

OK, maybe the Boney-M music behind the volleyball player is having an influence.  Nightflight to Venus has migrated from cassette to the streaming music.  So sad I know.  My wife tells me often, and hence the "apparent" :)

Lauren, Unk p and LalaBella reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jackofhearts @Laura-f:  Any way you slice it, I am  not comfortable with Tik-tok as long as it is under control of Chinese Communist Party. For me, it is an uncomfortable  gut feeling that I cannot shake. That said, a friend sent me the cutest sweetest animal video ever and she had taken it from Tik-toc.  I will try to find it from another source and post it.

Lauren, lenor, LalaBella and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@jeanne-mayell I'm finding a lot of TikToks end up on Facebook, so check there. Also YouTube.

ReplyQuote
Share: