Notifications
Clear all

The Covid-19 Pandemic (When posting new information, please cite sources)

(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

@frank

Very well said. Thank you for than concise and truthful explanation. Spirit just whispered in my ear "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Now that a bit on the blunt side ?‍♀️??‍♀️ but never more true than now as many battle the many challenges of  life and face death over and over in themselves or their loved ones.

Prayers for the peace that surpasses all understandings.

shan, Laynara, FEBbby23 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Posted by @coyote:

[L]et yourself feel everything that is coming to you.

I've been most pissed off with entrenched institutional behavior that's treating this entire situation as something that's normal, and I think that's because I have an ancestral quarrel with patriarchal institutions of control. Now I know more than ever that I want to direct my life so that I am dismantling those institutions.

@coyote, regarding my post about the anger I’ve been feeling and your thoughtful response:  everything you stated deeply resonates with me.  I agree with Jeanne that "You've hit squarely on what this whole pandemic is about and where we are headed."

The rollercoaster feelings I am now experiencing are more pronounced than ever.  But I had forgotten that about 5 days ago, before I began feeling totally pissed off, I also posted this: 

As I feel the earth's life force, I also feel, in the midst of so much uncertainty and sadness, periods of peace and joy. 

The anger I feel continues, seemingly unabated, and yet … I do have those surprising moments of joy and peace.  Out of the blue. Through a clinician’s lens, one might think that I am experiencing mood swings. ?    Nope!  I feel saner now than I ever have.

The joy I feel is my connection to the earth.  Until this pandemic radically altered our way of life, the earth was choking, suffocating under the weight of our greedy, bloated, insatiable appetites.  The earth is breathing again, and expanding with each breath it takes.

Like you, @jeanne-mayell, and many in this community, I am not interested in when we can open the economy again – not if it means going back to “business as usual.”  It angers me when I hear public statements like “I know we want things to get back to normal …”.  No way in hell do I want to go back there!  I understand how fearful people are, myself included.  I also painfully recognize that people are suffering.  Many can’t afford to pay the rent, stay in their homes, pay for healthcare, put food on the table.  But there has got to be a better way, right?  Going back to the old normal (if you can even call it “normal”) is not an option, nor is remaining where we are, in this holding pattern.

Even Governor Cuomo, in his own way, has been addressing this normality issue.  During his daily briefings Cuomo has been reflecting a lot, saying things like we really need to think about the kind of world we want after we come through this period...because if we go back to the way things were, that will be tragic...we will have learned nothing. 

This morning I heard John Kerry make the connection between this pandemic and the climate crisis.  He basically said, if you think this is bad, you ain't seen nothing yet!   And later this morning I read that while we are being distracted by this pandemic, the T administration is weakening or eliminating a ton of environmental rules and climate regulations.  Even if the Rs lose both houses in 2020, any executive decision that can be rammed through before early June is not subject to the Congressional Review Act—which means that it is much harder for a new administration to overturn it. This administration’s actions on climate may be part of a larger effort to remake the nation as a whole and install what amounts to a fossil fuel-powered autocracy.

There's that anger ... it's b-a-a-a-c-k!

shan, Michele, LalaBella and 21 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@gbs

After perusing that article (and similar others) from Science mag, I still feel intuitively more than ever that CV-19 is an extremely 'tweaked' experimental product of that Wuhan lab.

Like many ''Biodiversity" labs that are top secret globally in every major country covertly 'playing God' ... perhaps not so much conspiratal as perverse and unethical. What is ultimately surprising is that the accident hasn't happened before this ....

So this would be the place to insert the great George Harrison's songs: 

'' While My Guitar Gently Weeps " &

" Beware Of Darkness "

(Didn't hope follow all that stuff outta Pandora's Box?)

Happy New Moon gbs, and to everyone..... ?????

lenor, Michele, FEBbby23 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@stargazer

So this would be the place to insert the great George Harrison's songs:

'' While My Guitar Gently Weeps

ask and you shall receive:

This version is played on a gayageum https://youtu.be/9LOHsrLWgq4

Stargazer, FEBbby23, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@unk-p

Thank you unk-p .. just brilliant young musician on this, and those outta this world celestial instruments!

Here's one for you.... (tho I couldn't insert the link as I am "tech-challenged" heh).....

YouTube : * Alexandre Desplat/The Meadow*

Peace ✨?

FEBbby23, Unk p, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

New info is coming out that blood oxygen levels drop before any serious symptoms are noticed in covid patients.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to buy a pulse oximeter and check you O2 levels as you would your temperature. This could give you notice of an infection days before you actually feel it and will save lives. It will make you aware of a serious condition before you otherwise would know, and it would give legitimate reason for a covid test or hospitalization long before you would meet the criteria needed now. They're cheap(like 30 dollars) right now but I expect prices to shoot up as shortages happen. 

Lilinoe, lenor, LalaBella and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@rowsella

I think this post should go under the "Turning...Unraveling" thread because it has to do with life in general, not just CV, and deserves a longer-standing thread.

@jeanne-mayell ?

lenor, Jeanne Mayell, Rowsella and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Elizabeth Warren just lost a brother due to Covid-19. ? 

Lilinoe, ghandigirl, CDeanne and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vestralux)

Just stopping by to drop a poem off. 

Questionnaire 
     by Wendell Berry

1. How much poison are you willing
    to eat for the success of the free
    market and global trade? Please
    name your preferred poisons.
  2. For the sake of goodness, how much
    evil are you willing to do?
    Fill in the following blanks
    with the names of your favorite
    evils and acts of hatred.
  3. What sacrifices are you prepared
    to make for culture and civilization?
    Please list the monuments, shrines,
    and works of art you would
    most willingly destroy.
  4. In the name of patriotism and
    the flag, how much of our beloved
    land are you willing to desecrate?
    List in the following spaces
    the mountains, rivers, towns, farms
    you could most readily do without.
  5. State briefly the ideas, ideals, or hopes,
    the energy sources, the kinds of security,
    for which you would kill a child.
    Name, please, the children whom
    you would be willing to kill.

Made me think of you @coyote

lenor, herondreams, Muriel and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

New York just published a random 3000 person sampling of people that were tested for covid at grocery stores. 14% came back positive. That is 10x the number of confirmed cases. Couple that with the 800 person sampling in L.A. that returned 22-50x tested for antibodies than the known confirmed cases and we have a lot worse spread than we ever thought.

Some of those who tested positive in NY will get sick and havent yet but many would never have known. 14% isnt enough to gather herd immunity but it is enough estimate that by mid summer, half of the population could have been infected. That's the bad news. The good news is that if we have approx 2.7 million active cases in New York(expanding the sample over the entire state population) and only 250k were urgent enough to get testing and only 15k have died, we have a lot weaker virus than previously thought. Add that to the recent reports that the virus has mutated at least 30 times, and this wont go on THAT much longer. When viruses mutate, they almost always weaken(unlike in the movies). The Spanish flu is still around today as one of the seasonal flus we dont give much thought to. The quick mutation doesnt leave us with any great options for vaccines being a miracle cure, although the early strains are by far the deadliest and we can still wipe them out. 

I'm not an epidemiologist or virologist, but do have a BS in microbiology, so I have some idea of what I'm talking about here. My guess is that since the worst strains are killing people relatively quickly, the weaker strains will become the prevalent ones because the stronger strains will be more quarantined. I think a lot more people will get sick but with every passing week, those that get covid will be less and less sick until it works it's way into the run of the mill flu category by winter 2021.

Lilinoe, shan, lenor and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

This might matter; you'll know: I feel strongly compelled to tell you that the COVID19 pneumonia is not conducive to walking.  I've read reports that the patient feels steamrolled.  So maybe the message is in another part of the song, which I remember as being about frustration and confinement: I wanna holler but the joint's too small. I might be projecting, as I am living while distancing, feeling the normal emotional responses to our global condition.

At any rate, I was guided to ask you to open your experience to other meanings, in other parts of the song, now that your guides have your attention with a good beat and bouncy phrasing.  I don't believe, for what it's worth, that you and your family will fall ill.

lenor and lenor reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

This is good news:

South Korea health agency says virus may not live in people who were re-diagnosed

The Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that in 25 randomly selected patients, all had developed antibodies that had defensive power.

Those 25 patients in South Korea were hospitalized with symptoms at the time of the antibody testing and have now fully recovered, according to the agency.

Initially, there was concern about the effectiveness of the antibody in killing the virus because 12 of the 25 had both the virus and the antibodies. However, after attempts were made to grow the virus, it did not replicate, suggesting that the virus detected in the body may have not been live or was just viral remnants and therefore did not have the ability to infect others, according to KCDC.

In a separate study of 207 people who had been re-diagnosed with the virus, the agency confirmed that the virus had not grown in their bodies either. KCDC said it had attempted to grow the virus twice.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coronavirus-updates-american-red-cross-antibody-tests-id/story?id=70301746&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_hero_hed&fbclid=IwAR0RN0k3ZytGAbxaaKuhjJNPwH-VT1uFHr6fcAYEdgb4ysvSipMCoH86A1I&fbclid=IwAR1nk3e1yjxNRY-N4PmnUHMvnuuwB3keGVbgLqNoHoVnNAXi9jMmsMQP-yU

shan, JackofHearts, lenor and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lawrence)

@jessi1978

Great news. I know in my heart that this and/or more treatments will appear very soon. It will change the trajectory of everything. 

Lilinoe, shan, lenor and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

I have a friend who is a USDA meat inspector in the Midwest.  For the past few weeks she has posted about conditions in the plants she inspects at as well articles written about plants across the country during this pandemic. 

She is meticulous.  Many inspectors across the nation are now sick with the disease and she is now covering more and more plants as inspectors are getting sick.  Some of her regular plants are finally closing down with hundreds of Covid cases.  She is seldom notified about cases at plants but assumes everywhere is infected now. While she seems to  have access to masks, not all inspectors do.

Please keep our inspectors in your prayers as they are truly front line workers during this pandemic.  Also all or our meat packing workers who hold a very difficult job under the best of circumstances.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/one-hundred-usda-inspectors-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR2HiYw2sJG_okM1nRba_7bloMw3ECaDUXYeJxC7l5BLz8f-BhGUfMtzGp8

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/albertsamaha/smithfield-foods-coronavirus-outbreak?fbclid=IwAR3QcCtjYNLoHIyA4LVCcOaKo3Iscvn5vOE6PYmeWEva9OZXVhkLu0oYjQE

Lilinoe, shan, lenor and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

I have hope that we will get through it and that, more importantly, that we will change from it, respect the earth, put more power into our more accountable and more humane state and local governments, find meaningful ways to live sustainably, and create the more beautiful world we all know is possible. Also as @MAS1581 has shown, if anyone gets it, they have greater chance of surviving it than previously thought.  (Although the LA studies are deeply flawed and I wouldn't rely on those statistics).

But far from seeing this virus as weaker than we thought, it is turning out to be much more virulent than anyone ever imagined.  

Why is it so virulent? They don't even know.  But likely the large percentage of asymptotic people who have it and are shedding it everywhere they go. With other influenzas, we knew when someone was contagious.  With covid, you have to behave as if everyone out there has it. 

Lilinoe, shan, Lawrence and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

He is going to kill people

President Donald Trump suggested the possibility of an “injection” of disinfectant into a person infected with coronavirus as a coronavirus deterrent at the White House daily briefing on Thursday.

"I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning," the president said during the briefing, speaking to his health officials. "As you see it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that."

He did not specify the kind of disinfectant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1191216

Lilinoe, lenor, deetoo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cdeanne)
Noble Member Registered

@jessi1978 wtf smh  (I've never before used the "wtf" text abbreviation, but it's a perfect response to the absurdity/lunacy of an injectable disinfectant.). Thanks for sharing, jessi1978 (I think?!).

FEBbby23, lenor, LalaBella and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laurie)
Estimable Member Registered

I have felt for years now that Mother Nature or Mother Earth would eventually defend herself from the parasites known as mankind.  If termites infested your home, eating it away bit by bit, would you not strike back?  Would you care if some of the termites were good (compared to the other termites)? No.  The earth does not need us to survive.  It is we who need the earth.  The covid-19 virus is the perfect way to thin out the parasites without harming other species.

FEBbby23, lenor, Laynara and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@enkasongwriter)
Famed Member Participant

@lawrence Does this mean that many places will reopen sooner than later?

shan, lenor, shan and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

@cdeanne

it gets better he even suggested using UV Radiation. I mean he called it light he obviously doesn’t know big words. I subjected myself to hear his voice while he suggested this. 

on Thursday suggested medical experts should study exposing the human body to heat and light as a treatment for the coronavirus during Thursday's White House briefing by the president's task force on the virus.

Reminds me of when they would treat TB patients with fresh air. 

FEBbby23, lenor, Coyote and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 70 / 173
Share: