Notifications
Clear all

This community and our ancestors

(@dlarel)
Estimable Member Registered

My paternal grandmother's family is my Mayflower side (and lots of US Presidents, of course), but my mother's parents were both 1st generation European Jews from Russia and Ukraine and my dna is 50% European Jewish! I wish everyone would do their dna and genealogy to show how diverse we all are, learn about the struggles of our ancestors, seeing the humbling circle of life in the records (ex: birth, marriage, children, death, etc) and most importantly...how much we have in common, too. 

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, CC21 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mamaly)
Reputable Member Registered

@dlarel

I agree wholeheartedly. If you have seen it, there is a great show on PBS called 'Finding Your Roots'. The host is Henry Louis Gates, Jr., a Harvard professor. He explores peoples' ancestry through records, family stories, etc., then does a DNA test. One of his messages is exactly what you describe - how diverse we all are - and he demonstrates it through DNA. He also does some really fascinating genealogy with African Americans, often being able to get farther back in their line than one would expect. One of my favorite episodes is from Season 1 - episode 9 with John Legend and Wanda Sykes. You learn that Wanda Sykes is a direct descendant of a woman that came to Virginia as an indentured servant in the late 1600s. There are some other great episodes as well - you learn that Larry David (actor/director) and Bernie Sanders are actually close cousins (they even look alike) and Bill Maher and Bill O'Reilly are actually cousins as well (this one was a little strange!)

PamP, CC21, Lauren and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Posted by: @cindy

What I find highly interesting in this conversation are the number of lightworkers here who are descendents from founding families-especially given the current environment/circumstances. Something tells me it's not a coincidence.

Nope, not a coincidence.  There must be something to this,

I have many ancestors who were present in this country before the American Revolution.   My great (many x's back) grandfather was the brother-in-law of Pres. James Monroe.  President Monroe married his sister.  The Great-Great grandparents of James Madison were my direct ancestor grandparents as well.  

It's a mixed bag because these same families owned slaves.  

Through DNA, I have also discovered I have African and Native American lines as well, a small smattering.  This would go along with the family oral history which said one particular line was either Cherokee or Portuguese. Melungeon people often referred to themselves as Portuguese and were often a mixture of European, African and Native American (usually Cherokee) people.  I may never know the actual story of this particular line but once again, I am amazed by the connections I have found.  How ancestors in one family line actually interacted with ancestors in a different family line centuries ago and their descendants later married each other  2 centuries in the future.

It is fascinating.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, CC21 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@saibh)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures A friend told me to look into the melungeon people when I mentioned to her that I have both Nigerian and Native DNA (scant, but it's there). My maternal grandfather's line is Southern Indiana/Kentucky, so that is not at all out of the realm of possibility, even though we can go back only about two or three generations on his side.

My husband is also descended from a Mayflower passenger, but I can't remember which one ... I'll have to look into that.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, CC21 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)
Illustrious Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell  Thank you for starting this thread!  I have been fascinated by family history since I was a child and have continued it as a hobby.  I've gotten quite deep into it and even help manage some small DNA-related surname forums (fora?)   

I wonder a lot about if and how our ancestors might connect with us, or even BE us (reincarnated) in some cases.  Some of my ancestors seem to want to hide--- then are other times I have gotten wild clues out of nowhere that lead me to exciting discoveries.  Looking forward to discussion. 

ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@lovendures   I have at least two Mayflower ancestral families.  One was James Chilton's family, and  I can't recall the other right now. 

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, CC21 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@saibh

Mine is Nigeria, one other African country with I can't remember off the top of my head.and Native American.  Mine was near the Cumberland Gap area, not in Kentucky but right next door.  

@ana I too have wondered if my ancestors have helped me discover information about them.  Sometimes I wonder if I am being guided to a missing link.  Some things I have known about and others are surprising finds.  Others are simply unknown.  Since many of my ancestors are from the Virginia area, many records have been lost because of the Rev. War, the War of 1812 and Civil War. Many court houses and their records were burnt to the ground during these wars.  I have however found some records back in England ( Pre-Rev. War) which is really cool.  

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Lauren and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

Simply amazing. And not a coincidence. That so many descendants of the 135 souls on that ship 400 years ago, should gather in this community now, seems a strong message. They came to birth a new world and we are helping to birth one now. I wonder if some or many of them are spirit guides for this group?

ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@lovendures @ana

I've done genealogy work for 40 years all because my mother asked me to help her by doing some research at the state archives.  That's all it took.  I was hooked.  

Many years ago, before we could do genealogy research online, I was corresponding with a distant relative in Michigan.  She told me about searching for family headstones in a cemetery, growing extremely frustrated because she couldn't find them.  My relative was there on a snowy day, wandering through this cemetery, when suddenly the sun broke through and a beam of sunlight illuminated the headstones of our ancestors.  I definitely think they were watching over her.  

How cool is that?

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Iridium and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@2ndfdl

I am descended from Peter Bulkeley through marriage to his first wife Jane Allen and their son Thomas Bulkeley.  I would love to go to the UK and see where the Bulkeley's lived.  I've made genealogy trips before to see where my ancestors lived and it's always been so rewarding.

Genealogy makes history come alive when you can see your family connection to certain time periods and locations.  I don't do much research anymore (overdose), but always enjoyed going down that rabbit hole.  

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, CC21 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@bluebelle

That is VERY cool!

My mom had cousin who did a bunch of Genealogy research for decades, went to the library, the old microfiche way.  Growing up she loved to listen to thee "Old relatives" tell stories and because she did she had interesting knowledge of family life and history including her grandmother and aunt who hidden on a hillside, watched a battle of the Civil war take place behind their home.  I can't even imagine that.  

There is a family bible which went back to a certain relative of my fathers.  I  had no idea where to go from that female relative and surprise surprise, there was a book written by a researcher who listed the line depending to that relative but not any further.  It was so cool to have that bridge to the next hundreds of years.  

On a side note, I have a close friend who discovered she had a 1/2 brother she didn't know about.  Born before her parents were married and not known to her dad ( former girlfriend was the mom)  so a DNA search can bring out some skeletons in a closet too.

ReplyQuote
(@allyn)

I love this!

I have always loved history in general, and I have always been interested in my family and where they came from.  It is less about family pride (although I am proud) and more about connections.  We are all connected, if not by ancestors than by events.  Further, it is amazing how things change yet remain the same.  We who still live now and our ancestors faced the same challenges.  We are born, we have families, we have occupations, jobs, hobbies, skills, etc., we see/experience war, poverty, conflict, etc.  Everything comes full circle.

But it is important to research EVERYTHING!  In our family, there was mention of being related to a member of the Cherokee nation (she is listed in one of our family bibles.)  While we did eventually confirm that we were related to her, we learned that it was through marriage only, and that we descended from my ancestor's previous wife (still unnamed) through her oldest child.  But it took a long time to find the truth.

Even now, we are still researching and trying to fill in the gaps.  Thankfully, the DNA tests we got helped.  My father's family surprisingly stayed in the same area in Britain for centuries before they moved to America.  My mother's family mainly came from Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.  However, we learned that approximately 28% of my mother's DNA indicate a strong link to Scandinavian heritage, around the time of the Vikings.  But it makes sense to me, despite the fact that we can find almost no records from that time.  I am the odd one in my family because I am the only one with green eyes, on either side.  I stand out during our family get-togethers when I am surrounded by my father's family (every single one of them have blue eyes, I kid you not), and my mother's family with their brown eyes and grey eyes.  But my Celtic/Viking heritage would explain it, so it's nice to know where my family trait comes from.

But it is good to know this information.  I love sharing it, and I hope the rest of you enjoying sharing it as well.

PamP, BlueBelle, CC21 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mamaly)

@allyn

Excellent points on the research, Allyn! I've been doing genealogy for about 10 years now and regularly encounter 'family trees' where folks just put a name in, without bothering to cross reference dates, locations, census data, etc. I only put a name in my tree if I am super certain that I can substantiate through numerous records that the person is definitely who I think they are. The further back you go the harder it is. I actually don't bother much with research and records much beyond about 1600 -- because I have no access to the original documents or even images. Mostly we're just relying on someone else's research which is often unreliable for a variety of reasons.

I too have a family story of Native American (Lennies Lenape). I tried but couldn't verify anything through records. Finally the DNA test confirmed that I have trace amounts (<1%) of Native American DNA. We know the family line - but not the name of the Native ancestor. Maybe someday I'll discover it - although sadly it is unlikely.

The whole genealogy process is fascinating. For me it is kinda like doing a massively complex jigsaw puzzle!

PamP, BlueBelle, Lauren and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@drolma)
Estimable Member Registered

This is fascinating. I wonder if ancestry is more important for some than other. I always feel deep connections with the elders and interested in family lineage.

From a little lineage book my father carried out of China with him, I learned that my ancestors settled in China during the last dynasty when the Manchurian invaded China and invited the Mongolians to join them by marriage. Our Mongolian tribe was the tribe of the first empress of Qing Dynasty. I had thought myself to be Chinese until I turned 50, when I traveled into a remote mountain region on the island I grew up, and saw the resemblance between my mother's side of the family and the aboriginal people living there. My husband who had been to 78 countries in the world during the 80s and 90s was nodding his head enthusiastically when I made the discovery. He told me he was always secretly amused when I called myself Chinese. He could tell I have little Chinese in me. Instead, he likes to call me a pillager squared -- Mongolian and probably Maori -- and my son usually jokes that he is a pillager cubed, adding Vikings to the mix.

All these facts probably explain why I always felt like an outsider in the crowded Chinese city I grew up and why my dark skin was looked down by other "Chinese"; and why I feel so much at home in Arizona. I often am mistaken for Navajo outside the Native American communities. The Native will see immediately I do not have the same mannerism.

PamP, CC21, BlueBelle and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

It is not a coincidence. I can't say who or if someone is a reincarnation of whom.  What I do believe is that we have soul families that we are drawn to, and souls we've contracted with prior to coming here.

In the late 90s I met Dr. Brian Weiss. He's a noted psychiatrist in Miami & has had a number of books on the best seller list. I had no clue who he was when we were introduced, yet I knew in my gut meeting him that the introduction was the reason I ended up on that particular unexpected trip interacting with some very well known celebrities. 

His first book was Many Lives, Many Masters. It detailed how he went from man of science to believing in the spiritual and things like reincarnation. It detailed how we have lessons to learn, patterns to break, etc. We will return with these same souls until those objectives are acheived.

I believe that many of us, whether reincarnations of past founding families, or just decedents with those ancestors guiding us, are here & drawn to one another to help in these times. It's not just the future & direction of this country that depends on it, but the world itself. Climate change, human rights & so many other issues need to be addressed by the US for the future's well being.

Isabelle, PamP, Jeanne Mayell and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

I have learned a great deal about history in general by searching my family history. Amazing things I never knew about in the past.  It has also provided excuses to visit historical places my ancestors walked and lived like Jamestown, Williamsburg and Philadelphia.  In fact, a riing of an ancestor which was a seal for letters and documents was recently found in a Jamestown dig and we had visited the exact dig.  Makes you wonder how it was lost to time, only to be found centuries later. I was able to visit 2 churches my ancestors attended too.  One in Wilmington DE and the one in Williamsburg VA.  Another ancestor was the first surveyor for Yorktown, VA.  Walking those streets made me feel very connected to him.  

Perhaps the most powerful connection was one I made unknowingly.  At 19, I traveled with my parents to England and we took a trip to Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick Castle.  While at Warwick I was totally enthralled. I couldn't have been more excited and in awe than a child at Christmas who opened the very present they had dream of receiving.   Even my mom years later commented on how she watched my amazement at the castle and its grounds.  About 10 years ago I discovered a proven ancestor had been the owner of the castle, before it was expanded to its more current state.  That was a stunning revelation to me.

Isabelle, PamP, Jeanne Mayell and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mamaly)

@lovendures - You are absolutely right! I love the history component of genealogy and family history. Some of it is related to major historical events - Like my great-great grandfather (a union soldier from PA) who died in Salisbury Prison, a confederate prison camp in NC during the Civil War. Or my father's family whose McIntosh relatives fought at Culloden with the Jacobites. I've been to both locations and felt really moved by the history and the emotions attached to these places. But it is some of the smaller stories that are mind-blowing too. I have one line on my mother's side (same line that we believe have the Native Americans ancestry) that were "sawyers" in the mountains of PA. I discovered this harrowing account of a massive dam burst in a small town called Hickory Run, PA in the 1840s that swept through the town in the middle of the night during torrential rains when my ancestors were living there. It was written by Joanna Gould Westcott another resident of this very small town (probably no more than 10-15 homes). She was related to my family by marriage. It is the discovery of stories like these that blow my mind and make me inspired to learn more about my ancestors. I hope folks don't mind - but here is an edited excerpt from her account of the flood:

"It was about four o’clock when she heard a faint rumbling sound, which increased rapidly to an overwhelming roar. There was no mistaking its awful meaning...She had hardly time to close the window when the onrushing flood struck the house, lifting it from its foundation as though it had been an eggshell. It sped downward with the torrent, spinning as it went, for 500 feet, when it crashed against the fragments of the barn...

…the house was submerged the entire distance, and thousands of feet of lumber shot over it, while we escaped drowning because of the air that remained within when the flood engulfed it...Mother, groping in the darkness, found that the floor overhead had settled on our bed and we were captives. She was able, however, to loosen the boards enough to push me through. She then handed me my infant brother...Then I heard my mother calling for Lizzie, who had been in the room with us, but there was no response...I was now benumbed with the cold and do not remember anything more that occurred until daybreak. Then the rain was still falling in torrents. I was sitting in my night clothes beside my mother on the drift pile. She was holding my baby brother on her lap and the water was still flowing about us…

The roof having fallen upon the bed in which my brothers lay, they managed with great difficulty to crawl out upon the floor, only to find that the stairs had been washed away. By this time the two mill hands, hearing the voice of mother calling for help, leaped down to her...By means of a standing board the men now climbed to the upper story and released my brothers and little sister. But one was missing. Never can I forget the anguish of my mother when she said, "I can’t find Lizzie, but she is near me. I hear her voice, look for her! I hear her now! Listen, she is calling me!". No one heard Lizzie call, but mother was right and Lizzie was indeed near her.

Under mother’s direction the men wrought diligently, and down under the driftwood beneath the wrecked house they found the lifeless body of Lizzie. By this time the neighbors were flocking to the spot, and it was decided that we go to our nearest uncle’s house...The body of Lizzie was wrapped in a bedsheet and tenderly borne thither. My mother...was assisted by two mill hands, while another carried me all the way on his back. He held my bare feet - one in each hand - and often slapped my limbs to keep up the circulation. On the way to my uncle’s we saw the havoc...In the sandbank was found the body of one of the blacksmith’s little daughters. His wife and four of their children were drowned and many other lives were lost." 

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

I was researching Buies from Scotland, and ran across an interesting story. It wasn't my Buies, but I kind of wished it was. These four Buie brothers had to leave Scotland in a hurry. They couldn't take anything including family. They would stop along the way in the American travels to grow a crop then move on. One of the brothers was blind. He played the bagpipes, and he'd go walking. When he got lost, he would stop and play the bagpipes until somebody came to get him. Just seemed like a feel good story. 

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Stargazer and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@mamaly

What a harrowing story.  You would never have known of this event had the story not been published.   It gives you a window to what your ancestors went through from their neighbor's/famliy menber's own story. 

Wow.  Heartbreaking.  

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@elaineg

That is an amazing story even if it wasn't your family.  I have also learned much by reading stories that "might" be family ancestors but are not in the end.  They still paint a vivid picture during a time they lived and give a window of a life that was.

What a great thread this has become.

PamP, Vesta, PamP and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: