Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Forest Cities of China

(@seyrin)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

http://www.sciencealert.com/china-may-build-a-smog-eating-forest-city-filled-with-tree-covered-skyscrapers

"The company recently announced that it will build two skyscrapers that will hold a total of 1,100 trees and 2,500 cascading shrubs on their rooftops and balconies.... Construction on the buildings, called the Nanjing Green Towers, began in early 2017 and is set to wrap up next year."

"Though only two forest-like towers are currently underway, Boeri's ultimate goal is to create an entire "forest city" in Nanjing and other Chinese cities."

swcosmos and swcosmos reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

This future plan reminds me of a vision I had of the very long term.  I was looking around in my inner eye for signs of life in the 23rd century and I saw a beautiful little kingdom high up in the trees.  I thought it was Japan, but it could just as easily been China. 

Grace and Grace reacted
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

I remember watching the Olympics in Beijing and exterior shots showed that unbelievable low lying smog layer with no apparent sunlight getting in much less glimpses of any sky.

It seemed so incongruous for an event where the best of the best compete in a grand showcase of physical, mental, and emotional fitness to take place in a place where the inhabitants all wear masks to protect their own health from their environment.

Milan, Italy built 2 award winning Vertical Towers..one building 26 stories and the other considerably shorter..covered in greenery... completed back in 2014.

It will be wonderful if they make a difference in both Italy and China. But I'd imagine that would require a massive undertaking of a majority of green buildings covered in greenery as well enforced restrictions on emissions etc.

(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

I remember watching the Olympics in Beijing where the exterior shots showed that unbelievable smog layer that encompassed not just the entire sky but clear down to the pavement. No hint of a sky to be seen much less a blue sky.

It seemed so iincongruous for an event where the best of the best compete in a grand showcase of physical, mental, and emotional fitness to take place in a place where the inhabitants all wear masks to protect their own health from their environment.

By the way, Milan, Italy built 2 award winning Vertical Towers..one building 26 stories and the other considerably shorter..covered in greenery... completed back in 2014. Haven't heard any more on them since.

It will be wonderful if they make a difference in both Italy and China. But I'd imagine that would require a massive undertaking of a majority of green buildings covered in greenery as well enforced restrictions on emissions etc.

Grace and Grace reacted
(@grace)
Noble Member Registered

Yes, it will require massive action, but it's a great start. Hopefully more and more cities will go this route.

Share: