Florida population ...

Notifications
Clear all

Florida population growth

(@higgimic1020gmail-com)
Eminent Member Contributor
Topic starter  

I live in Florida and the growth rate of people moving INTO stare is the highest in nation right now. Statewide it is exponentially out of control. They are building basically a new town called Emerald Lakes (see video on youtube) five miles south of me. Theh are destroying habitats and wildlife already suffering and doing so with abandon and clear cutting. Everyday I go for walks I see more demolishing and building, like I have never ever seen in my life. (I have actually just started to volunteer for wildlife rescue to help the extreme numbers of animal emergencies now. They are pamicked and injured animals everywhere.)

That all said, can you focus a group reading on when this will stop? I know a migration north is coming but right now opposite is happening. They are trying to cash in and are destroying so much in meantime. Endangered animals are protected but not the habitats they live in, and/or protection isnt enforcened in this extreme right state.

There are only 120-230 panthers left and they won't stop taking their habitat in Florida and the governor is banning books and fighting with Mickey Mouse.

I am actually hoping for more weather events to stop the building even though I own myself. When I say it is out of control, I am not exaggerating. It is at a *critical* level and average people all seem oblivious.

*****So basically can there be a discussion on when will it stop and will any endangered life here rebound?  Please look it up. The growth here is insane. 

Thanks. Sorry if this was too long.

PamP, Vesta, deetoo and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freya)
Noble Member Registered

@higgimic1020gmail-com   Here’s a thought:  as of a specific date, shut down the Federal flood insurance which covers many at risk buildings… after that date insurance cannot be renewed… nor will the rest of us pay for multimillion dollar Federal highways and bridges to sandbars, islands and sea level cities… climate change will continue to grow worse… people will leave at risk areas to nature… people will wake up…. Sooner than most expect at risk areas in ALL US states will begin to empty out….  That is reality… it is literal science backed up by numerous repeated physic predictions of mass migration out of such areas. 

Vesta, Michelle Higgins, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@higgimic1020gmail-com)
Topic starter  

@freya  I love that thought. It is so horrible what is going on in this state.  I know the mass migration is coming but right now there is a mass migration INTO the state. Ir is the fastest growing state in country, Texas is second. They are destroying as much as they can before it falls apart. It is also one of the most expensive places to live now too. Like, it's Florida. We have near continual bad press lol. But the taxes are so low, so they come..

I just kinda of hope the growrh slows enough soon for nature to have a chance to catch up and adapt before going extinct.

Trees...they capture carbon. Maybe keep some around..

Vesta, Lauren, JourneyWithMe2 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@freya)
Noble Member Registered

PS… my own state of NJ is trying to buy up property along our coast… and replace water’s edge structures with nature and dunes… the middle of my state was hollowed out during the ice age… result… a lovely river and stream filled bowl filled with trees and persistent home owners who are now getting flooded out almost every year…

Vesta, deetoo, Lauren and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@westie)
Trusted Member Registered

I have lived in California for 25 + years, so I know the population booms/busts feel very stressful and bizarre. It seems to me that humanity does not know how to manage itself. I hope you will have capable local leadership to help you all navigate the coming population change to Florida, but I can hear in your post this is not likely. I understand the grief of watching the destruction. 

Vesta, Michelle Higgins, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 lynn
(@lynn)
Illustrious Member Registered

Real estate development in FL is very corrupt, and there doesn't seem to be any thought given to urban planning. I grew up in Miami, which now has to deal with insane traffic because of all the suburban development that started in the 70s -- entire neighborhoods designed and built with few roads to access them.

Despite the downsides, FL has always been a sort of dream for people. I live in NY now, and you're right about people moving, Michelle. So many folks I know suddenly decide to leave NY for FL without giving it a lot of thought to it, because it's not what everyone thinks it's going to be.

I also hope FL gets itself together in every way. I haven't lived there for years, but it really is home to me. Every time I hear or read about the different no-great things going on there, it saddens me.

For whatever it's worth, I think the exodus towards FL will stop in the next few years. The combination of real estate prices, flooding, insurance costs, and hurricanes, will cause people to rethink the dream. By then maybe the state will be in more capable hands and can right itself. 

Vesta, deetoo, Lauren and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@lynn 

I think that you are likely right I expect that if Florida gets hit by a few big hurricanes in quick succession, people will choose/need to leave.  I believe that some big ones will be arriving in the near future.

I feel for all who currently reside in Florida.  Especially along the coast. Your Governor is certainly not helping matters either.  I wonder if many are heading there because they feel their beliefs aline with the current Governor's antics.

raincloud, Vesta, Michelle Higgins and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@higgimic1020gmail-com)
Topic starter  

@lynn it is very very corrupt. They aren't supposed to build where there are gopher tortoises as they are endangered and they are buidling every lot they can and not checking. If there is a tree they must cutt it down like The Lorax. So there are several gopher tourtises on a few lots and I call the Florida Wildlife Commission as it is illegal.to build there with them. They tell me to call the town. The town wants me to call them. Then they both tell me to count the burrows and investigate the lot numbers and more. Like shouldn't this be your jobs? I have photos and am sending. Now someone do your jobs. They really don't check or want to know. That's just over turtles.  All other regulations are definitely not being enforced.

I'm actually from NH but have been down here for two decades now as I struggled with seasonal depression in winter and here I am fine. I may just need to get a green house and some UV lights when I move back. I am afraid once I moce back, everyone else will too and then the northern woods will get over developed too. That is really going to hurt to watch. 

I'm currently trying to plane my migration. Timing is tricky. I loved my little spot and garden and it was relatively rural. But since they are bulldozing all around me I guess it helps to nudge me along. 

Apparently if I sell now I will make a fortune based on the current demands.

I do think the hurricanes are going to bad next couple of years. 

raincloud, lenor, FEBbby23 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 PamP
(@pamp)
Famed Member Registered

@higgimic1020gmail-com I was raised in South Florida and still have many friends there. Once the newcomers can't get homeowner or rental insurance, once the water shortages begin, once one more hurricane like Andrew comes their way, when they see how prices are going to skyrocket...they'll leave. There are going to be parts of Florida that become uninhabitable within the next 20 years.

ReplyQuote
Share: