Notifications
Clear all

Israel-Gaza Crisis & Related Issues

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Opening up a separate topic on Israel due to the recent attacks on the country from Hamas. The many ramifications and fall-out from the continued attacks and responses will be felt for sometime.

I just heard a fantastic CNN interview with Amir Tibon, a newspaper diplomatic correspondent who lives 10 minutes from the area where the music festive took place.  His neighborhood of approximately 500 people was under attack for 10 hours when it was finally liberated by soldiers.  It was also liberated with the help of his father who rescued 2 soldiers he saw get attacked by militants while he made his way to save his son and his grandchildren who were hiding in their safe room while under attack. Tibon's 3 year old and 1 year old where waiting for their grandfather to save them and when they heard pounding on their safe room door after 10 hours, it was indeed their grandfather who had arrived to the rescue. During this rescue, the grandmother was a ways back trying to save the lives of the soldiers the grandfather has rescued.  He had brought them back to his wife's location before continuing on with his mission to free his son and grandchildren. 

This was a truly amazing story!  Look for it to hopefully appear in some form on CNN at some point.   I happened to see it live with Wolf Blitzer..

There are going to be horrifying stories coming out from this horrific event.  This is one of great light.  I am going to continue to look for the ones filled with light.

PamP, CC21, FEBbby23 and 12 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tybin)
Famed Member Registered

One of my employees has to meet with the State Dept this evening. She’s from Israel. This can’t be good news

PamP, CC21, Jeanne Mayell and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@tybin 

That doesn't sound good at all.  

PamP, CC21 and tybin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Today I saw 2 hardened War reporters do something I have never see them do.

Nick Robertson and Clarissa Ward both choked up while reporting for Israel about what the victims went through.   ( Clarissa also did something I thing I have ever scene her do today, drop f-bombs while missiles rained around them and the had to dive in a ditch on the road for cover.)

John Kirby ( Ret. Rear Admiral and U.S. Defense spokesperson) got so emotional he just could not continue a interview. 

This terrorism which has led to a horrific war is beyond words for those who are the top in their field, a field which is all about public speaking.

On a side note, I have found the coverage from CNN to be very professional and MSNBC to be lacking and out of step.    The international team of CNN is well...shining.  Glad to see CNN rising to the occasion.  It is like they woke up from a multi year coma.

PamP, CC21, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kerry)
Estimable Member Registered

There is a brilliant interview of Dr Mustafa Barghouti, offering a Palestinian perspective.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/one-more-war-will-not-solve-the-problem-palestinian-s-viewpoint-on-the-israel-gaza-conflict/ar-AA1hWWYA

PamP, CC21, LivingFree2 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

While most people would agree that it is likely that the majority of ordinary Israelis and Palestinians are sick to death of war, clearly this recent barbaric massacre of innocent civilians - the elderly, children, women and men -- by Hamas is beyond reprehensible and represents a radicalized fanatical faction.  But I want to point out that considering the BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF FOREIGN AID which has been donated to the Palestinians over many decades -- and has been systematically looted/misappropriated by their very own leadership - leads one to recognize that much of the suffering of the Palestinian people has been caused by their very own corrupt leadership's cynical indifference. Who can forget how Arafat refused to accept President Clinton's very fair offers b/c he was stealing millions of dollars of foreign aid money and depositing these very same funds into his own private bank accounts in Paris. All the Palestinian leaders have done the same.  They did NOT use that money to help their own people.  Had the massive amount of foreign aid been used for it's intended purpose, by now, EVERY Palestinian would own their own decent apartment, own a car and there would be impressive Palestinian Universities and Medical Centers established. Instead, they are left suffering, cynically exploited by their very own leadership. And their neighboring  'Arab Brethren' who are so wealthy it is insane are too busy buying up designer goods, private yachts and private airplanes to help alleviate their suffering Palestinians 'cousins' out.  I'm not saying that Israel has been perfect,  It has not.  But in my view much of the direct suffering of the Palestinian people has arisen from their own corrupt leadership and their indifferent, uncaring Arab brethren. But Hamas has hit a new barbaric low.

PamP, Amyv, Naavi2020 and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 MMA
(@meliaamal)
Prominent Member Registered

Is this necessary?as an Arab and someone who has lived in that region, I find what you’re saying very offensive and misinformed.

G C and LivingFree2 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@meliaamal 

Don't wish to offend and perhaps this is not the forum to wade into such a charged topic.  But there is a very real shock and rawness witnessed by the world at the brutal massacre committed by Hamas recently targeting/killing the elderly, infants, children, women, men... all civilians and a percentage of whom were actively promoting Palestinian rights.  No one wants to see Palestinian people suffer.  But this was not the way to handle it. 

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@isabelle Sending love to you, and to @MMA, and to all sides of this tragic situation that has so many of us worked up.

PamP, Isabelle, Vesta and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@anetliner)
Estimable Member Contributor

@isabelle: I agree that the Palestinian leadership has not served ordinary Palestinians well. Over the decades, billions of dollars in aid have been sent to help the people of the West Bank and Gaza. Unfortunately, aid funds have been siphoned off for the personal benefit of the Palestinian leadership or, most notably in Gaza, substantially redirected toward Hamas’s campaign to obliterate Israel. Yes, Hamas has created social service programs that benefit the residents of Gaza, but so much more could have been done.

In fairness, Israel has greatly restricted the flow of goods and services to and from the West Bank and Gaza, which has impeded Palestinian economic growth and the  provision of urgent social and medical services. But Israel’s wariness, primarily in the case of Gaza, reflects legitimate security concerns.

The only way forward that I can see is formal recognition by Hamas of Israel’s right to exist, followed by a binding treaty providing sovereignty to the Palestinian people, followed by regional economic cooperation.

One issue (at least to me) is whether there should be one Palestinian state encompassing Gaza and the West Bank, or whether Gaza and the West Bank should become separately administered entities. I raise this point because genuine cooperation between the Palestinian Authority and Hamas seems highly unlikely.

PamP, Isabelle, Vesta and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@livingfree)
Reputable Member Registered

@MMA I hope you continue to share your perspectives on this horrific war.  It's a perspective that does not get as much air time’ as that of Israel. The people of Gaza have suffered horribly, and so many of them are children, that it is beyond my comprehension why the US is not advocating for a cease fire, at this point.  It seems pretty clear that Netanayu is striving for genocide. Hamas, would like to do the same the thing - as evidenced by the atrocities they have committed.  Meanwhile...people are enduring the horrific acts of war, and the divide grows.  May it end soon. Sending you a virtual hug.  Keep sharing your voice with us. 

PamP, asma and Vesta reacted
ReplyQuote
(@anetliner)

@livingfree

Both peoples, Palestinians and Israelis, have suffered horribly.

On the subject of genocide, Israel was established in 1948 in response to the genocide of Europe’s Jewish population. That genocide came after centuries of persecution of the Jewish people. Ironically, Israel’s existence continues to be challenged. Hamas remains dedicated to Israel’s destruction and elimination.

The Palestinians of the West Bank and Gaza have now suffered for decades. Their suffering includes poor living conditions, inadequate healthcare, limited economic opportunity and the lack of genuine autonomy and freedom. Palestinian anger and resentment is understandable and justified, although a response based on terrorism is not.

I agree that continuing war serves no one. Like Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, I am horrified by and condemn the brutal Hamas attack, mourn the loss of life on both sides and call for de-escalation. 

New York Times columnist Tom Friedman, who has covered Israel and Palestine for some 50 years, has made some sound recommendations for Israel that would support de-escalation:  1)Eschew a ground war in Gaza. 2)Continue peace negotiations with Saudi Arabia and make concessions on the West Bank to reach an agreement. 3)Establish a unity government that would move Israeli policy-making from the right to the center. I hope that Friedman’s sensible views will prevail.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Isabelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@anetliner 

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I believe that most decent people of any religion do not want to see either Palestinians or Israelis suffer.  Problem is: Hamas has stated clearly over the years that it's primary goal is to annihilate Israel.  That is not a basis for any kind of compromise or negotiation and is a non-starter.  Conversely, I do not believe that Israel should have chosen to build settlements near sensitive, disputed areas -- that looks arrogant and provocative IMO.  The bottom line:  One needs to have some basis of trust to move forward and find reconciliation and I don't see that happening any time soon.  I also wonder whether Hamas didn't initiate this massacre in order to deliberately provoke Israel into war and throw a wrench in the Saudi  'normalization" of relations with Israel?  The situation is tragic.  And the hostage situation is barbaric as is Hamas' usual strategy of hiding behind their own civilians and using them as 'human shields". 

https://stratcomcoe.org/cuploads/pfiles/hamas_human_shields.pdf

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)
Illustrious Member Registered

@meliaamal 

There are lots of words and opinions. I want you to feel the love and support of this light-filled community. You are safe here. 

Overwhelming sadness for so many battered and ruined lives, over so many years.. centuries..is what we all share. I am sitting beside you in prayer for all who suffer in this terrible situation, and am faithfully hoping for a better, equitable future.

PamP, Jewels, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@anetliner 

I think it's best for me to drop this topic now, at least my own responses. To MMA, I apologize if I have offended you.  Truth is, I (as well as many Israelis and much of the world) sincerely wish the Palestinian people well, that they may find a way to prosper and remain safe. No one should suffer as they have done.  This is a website of spirituality and uplifting hope and, for this, we have to thank Jeanne profoundly. I very much hope one day that Palestinian and Israeli children will be able to hold hands and become firm friends, respecting and celebrating each others' cultures and differences without partisan, often ugly politics getting in the way.

PamP, JackofHearts, Jeanne Mayell and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 Dina
(@dina)
Honorable Member Registered

I pray that both sides act in love for their own people and not in hate for the other side. 

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Vesta and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@impassionate)
Honorable Member Contributor

@meliaamal May I ask why you found what she said offensive and ill informed?   Seriously trying to understand all sides of this horrific mess.  Based upon my limited knowledge of the entire situation that has been going on 75 years, I share her opinions.  But they are just opinions based on my current knowledge.   I want to understand, if you're willing to share, of course.    Thank you.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Isabelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Helpful piece by Thomas Friedman of The NY Times, a call for moderation by Israel, how things got so bad, and solutions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/10/opinion/israel-hamas-.html

ReplyQuote
(@anetliner)

@isabelle — I agree with you that trust on both sides is needed to reach a negotiated settlement.

Hamas’s core mission to annihilate Israel is antithetical to the establishment of trust and to the negotiation of a peace agreement.

That said, I hope that the current conflict will be de-escalated, that all prisoners/hostages will be released and that normalization negotiations between Saudi Arabia and Israel continue. It is expected that an agreement between Saudi Arabia and Israel would require concessions from Israel that would benefit the Palestinian people.

ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@jeanne-mayell Thank you for that article.  I saw an outstanding interview with Thomas Friedman on Morning Joe yesterday.  He has 50 years of experience covering the Israel/Palestine situation and was able to discuss all the factions in Israel and those dynamics in place before the Hamas attack.  I encourage everyone to seek out that interview on MSNBC or YouTube.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7
Share: