Notifications
Clear all

The power of Gratitude

(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@baba @moonbeam

Replying to you here because I didn't want to hijack the Election 2020 thread.

Thanks to both of you, I will keep that in mind going forward. The pandemic will determine how quickly I can get the Italian citizenship done, but it's looking right now like 3 years or so.

I have also lived abroad, in Italy (Rome) in fact, in the Reagan years. In those days, dual citizenship was not possible, nor was reclaiming Italian citizenship through ancestry (parents only back then). The rules changed in the 1990s, by then I was well established  back in the US and divorced from my sociopathic-green-card-seeking-Italian-ex-husband, so at the time it wasn't of interest.

Also, at the time, the Northern Italians remained VERY biased against Southern Italians, especially those from the diaspora. Northern acquaintances frequently ridiculed me and called me names that were roughly equivalent to the n-word and sp*c. When I visited the South, no ridicule so much as being told "Beati voi" (lucky you) when folks learned I was from a family that immigrated to the US starting in the 1880s. Weird guilt trip - I remember thinking - I'm sorry, were my great-grandparents supposed to stay here and starve to death or be killed by the Mafia??

I'm lucky that generally I "blend in" in Europe - my last visit to Utrecht and to Munich in particular people kept coming up to me and speaking to me in Dutch and German. I don't remotely look "Aryan", so I was touched by their friendliness and non-assumption of my race or origins. At the time, Merkel was up for reelection, and someone was canvassing in the street in Munich, when I said in English, "Sorry, I"m not German, I can't vote here, but if I could I'd vote for Merkel", the person handed me a paper yellow rose and said "Thank you anyway! Have a great day!"

Similar things happened in Utrecht, very welcoming people chatting to me in Dutch, which sometimes I can grasp a word or two but certainly can't speak at all.

Interesting note - the country I like the least turned out to be Austria. I joke about it with my husband ("Well Hitler was Austrian, so..."), but the people in Salzburg and Vienna were just awful. It happened 3 times in 4 days that some rude Austrian spoke to me like I was a maid or employee of whatever business I was standing in, like REALLY rude. Rather than respond in English I cursed them out in Italian ("Macchè cazzo dici? Sei scemo? Mavva fancullo!" - "What the f* are you saying? Are you a moron? Go f* yourself!" - you can take the girl out of New York but...)

I'm also not too fond of France.... so I will keep you both in mind, thanks again!!

TriciaCT, JourneyWithMe2, ghandigirl and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@moonbeam)
Illustrious Member Registered

@laura-f, go with the gut I always say;-)

Big plus for The Netherlands is the fact that we came out on top of all European nations when it comes to speaking English. You will be hard-pressed finding a Dutch person who doesn't speak/understand it. Most of us are friendly although the west is more 'New York' as you might say with people yelling at you to watch it etc.

The biggest downside is real-estate, which is expensive here, but other than that; easy going and good times + we have like 36 political parties so it's pretty much corruption free ? 

Should you want to check out some options:

https://en.visitnijmegen.com/ a city similar to Utrecht, but older, prettier and the surroundings are more lush with forests etc. It's the oldest city of the Netherlands going back over a 1000 years. That website can give you an idea about what to do here. This is a little clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg9exZJzh1o

Other great cities are Deventer, Zutphen, Breda etc. all between 30 to 70 from Utrecht.

Also, there are lots of video's about the difference between the US and NL, this is one of a Dutch guy living in the US comparing the two. Might be interesting for anyone really;-) Perhaps something for your hubby to check out? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_yCpGe4GSM

Anyway, who knows, might help you ❤️ I do think life can be more relaxing here. We work to live in Europe, enjoyment of life is so important whether it is dining at a restaurant for 3 hours or just cycling to the city center to have fun going from cafe to cafe.

I'll shut it now. I get enthused sometimes;-) Bless all ❤️ 

Lauren, LalaBella, JourneyWithMe2 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

This may seem a silly post to some, but I almost feel compelled to say this publicly somewhere.  At my high school, Government class was required before seniors could graduate, and it was only offered during one's senior year.  There were two teachers for the class, and that was all they taught.  They were older men and very conservative - as were most people in the little town where I grew up - but they were passionate about the subject, whether we agreed with them politically or not was never an issue to them. What they cared about was inspiring us to learn and know how our government came to be, how it was constituted, and how it worked.

Mr. Lon Skinner, you have long since passed on, but your dedication to democracy lives on.  Thank you for your passion for the subject, and thank you for everything you taught me.  The last four years and especially recent events have proven to me just how incredibly valuable and relevant what you taught us still remains.

Lauren, TriciaCT, Lovendures and 16 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@tgraf66  When I was in high school we were required to take "Civics", which I gather was basically the same as your "Government" class.  The teacher (whose name I can't recall!) was conservative and proud of it.  He told us that "conservative" meant you wanted to keep things stable-- and no more than that.   This was in the mid 1970's (to date myself  :-P   )     

Starting with frickin' Rayguns in 1980,"conservative" started meaning "screw you, I got mine'.   I have never forgotten the definition of "conservative" I was taught in 1975--- the so-called "conservatives" of the last 40 years do NOT align with the views of my high school teacher.  He was a bit *too* conservative  for my taste, but he was a decent man-  not a reactionary or fascist.  

Lauren, TriciaCT, ghandigirl and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@barbarmar22)
Prominent Member Registered

@ana @tgraf66 Yes, I too remember Civics classes. Unfortunately, I think it is not much taught these days. Here in Portland Oregon there is a group that raises funds for a program called the Classroom Law Project, that teaches how government and the law works. https://classroomlaw.org

They teach middle and high school teachers the fundamentals and then get local attorneys to come into the classroom to act as judges for cases that the students present and plead. This would be great in all our classes around the county. Too many Americans do not know how our government works.

Lauren, JourneyWithMe2, Vesta and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@triciact)

I AM DANCING WITH GRATITUDE AND RELIEF!!! my best friend (like my sister) Kathi, her hubby and his 91 year old Aunt all tested negative for Covid! They were exposed on Sunday (her hubby went to a family wake ugh) She said they have dodged a bullet! Thank the Universe!  ? ? 

Lauren, Marigold, Unk p and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

There is much to be grateful for this New Years Day.

I awoke this morning to the sound of a gentle rain covering the dry Arizona earth.  The calming sound of the rain falling to the ground, the smell of the desert flora awakened by the nourishing water from above and the feel of the moistened air is a quiet blessing for the New Year.  

For those living in the Desert Southwest where water is becoming more valuable than gold, it brings the gift of hope. A reminder to be still and breathe in the blessings that surround us.  The ones which seep into our souls and wrap us in a blanket of love and warmth. The ones which appear after days of longing at the dawn of a new day. 

May this New Year fill your spirits with gratitude.  

May you recognize and marvel in the blessings found in the peaceful breaking of dawn as the birds sing to the morning sun.  May a gentle breeze be at your backs enabling you to reach those high mountain peaks. May you embrace unexpected blessings when they sprinkle down from above and discover light filled stars to guide you out of the darkest of forests.

May love gently seep into your souls and a gentle morning rain greet you, soothing  any dry desert path upon which you travel. 

May gratitude flow through us all as we recognize the many blessings 2023 brings.

MaeveNMurphy, DannyBoy, deetoo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

Recent events have brought into sharp focus things I am grateful for, number one being the return of my beloved cat and all of the support, advice, and reamwork that helped to bring her home, I will always be grateful for that. I also developed a stronger bond with my  other cat who was a comfort and became more affectionate.

Although my relationship with my child is a source of pain, I am grateful for my own strength of character and that under that hurt I am still able to pray for her and wish her well.

I am also grateful for my ongoing commitment to my health. Grateful for shopping today and choosing healthier high fiber low sugar foods. I am also grateful to heal my broken heart.

There are many other things too. But I am most grateful for my improvement in being able to practice being grateful for what I have and learning to let go of what I don't. 

FEBbby23, Pegesus, tybin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 anya
(@anya)
Reputable Member Registered

I have been feeling lonely today, so I wanted to quickly wave hi to anyone who has popped in here.

Thank you for having this site.

Happy Gratitude Day.

JackofHearts, FEBbby23, Barbara and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@anya Sending Love and Light and comfort your way !🙏🏻💜🕯️🪽💜🙏🏻

anya, FEBbby23, Unk p and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@anya (waving hi! back at you) i wanted to thank you for bumping up this thread. I went back and read all 6 pages of it, and it is full of amazing posts.  Here are just a few that really popped out for me:

from @lynn

I'm grateful for this community that makes me feel less alone during these crazy times. I'm grateful to Jeanne, who puts her heart and soul into this effort. It may be a labor of love, but it can't be easy. Jeanne, you're in my thoughts all the time and I surround you with loving energy. Please take care of yourself. 

from @jeanne-mayell

I am grateful for all of you. Everything is fleeting and always changing, and I know that this community too will change and move on someday.  Right now we are together, moving along a wave towards a new shore.

I pray that you are all growing, evolving, blossoming in some way. I pray that you are all safe, held in love and feeling love, and finding  increasingly more moments of joy and of  peace, even as the world continues to whirl about.  What has been best for me about this community is just hearing your voices.

I am also grateful for Zoron.  If you think of it, please send him healing energy. He is such a sweetheart.

No matter what happens, what we have right now is good. :)

from @deetoo

Shortly after I awoke this morning, I realized how much I love all of you in this community.   Frankly I am surprised that I love people that I’ve never met personally.   I’m a private person -- at times, overly cautious -- and have never been much of a joiner.  I sometimes still shake my head in disbelief that I am here.   How did that happen?  I must have been led by a power from above, because if my ego had made the decision, I’d still be spinning my wheels.

We’re all a mixed bag, aren’t we?  We come with our personal stories, beliefs, gifts, trials and triumphs, strengths and weaknesses.  Each of us have special gifts to share.   There may be times when we disagree or don’t resonate with what is being said at that moment, but for me, that actually makes this community experience even richer.  I have learned so much from all of you.  You not only have challenged my beliefs and my thinking, but you have expanded my knowledge.  More importantly, you have been instrumental in teaching me to trust my higher self and my intuitions.  I feel much more solid now, than I did before I joined this community. And I feel our spirits rising together, united as one. 

I thank and bless every one of you

from @coyote

As I'm sure you probably know, Jeanne, this love isn't just to the benefit of those of us who gather on this site. It's also to the benefit of the the world around us. As light workers, the radical interconnection and unconditional love of the Upside World is etched into our DNA. So when we express that love on this site, we are transferring the energy of the Upside to this earthly realm, where it is desperately needed.

Tonight I went back and reread Charles Eisenstein's essay,"A Gathering of the Tribe"(I believe you've referenced this text in one of your articles), and I had tears in my eyes, becauseeverything in the mythical story he conveys has manifested or is currently manifesting in my life, from"You may plunge into a depth of despair that we, in our world of light, cannot imagine,"all the way to"You will find the people of your tribe all over the earth, and become aware of them through the long-distance communication technologies used on that planet...Then, the mission that lay unconscious within you will flower into consciousness."

So the other day i was listening to music on youtube, and a new song by Natalie Merchant came up on my feed. This was kind of odd, because  i usually listen to psychedic/experimental electronic music these days. But i clicked it, because i remembered how crazy Coyote was for Natalie Merchant. The video uses old footage from the very first Love-In (Easter Sunday, 1967, Los Angeles), as well as clips fom the Berkeley Free Speech movement, and scenes from my old neighborhood of Haight-Ashbury, SF. People coming together, finding or making their tribes. Natalie dedicated this song to the great writer Joan Didion, but i dedicate it to our brother Coyote, who was also a great writer.  I am so grateful for all of the posts he generously shared with us in the short time he had here:

Natalie Merchant sister tilly

Vesta, 2ndfdl, anya and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

@unk-p 

All of these posts are wonderful. I too was rereading this thread, then skipped to the end here.

It was particularly nice to hear Coyotes voice through his words. I thought of him this week, as I worked on different healing issues. He always felt like family. 

I am grateful to be alive on this beautiful Thanksgiving weekend. I made it this far. And so did you reading this. Every day is a new chance. 

Much love to all. 

Maggieci, Vesta, JourneyWithMe2 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

thanks, @ghandigirl !  sorry about the weird formatting, the way it got all skinny and vertical- that has happened before, and i never know how to fix it.  Maybe one of the moderators can help? 

Anyway, happy gratitude day (as @anya rightly called it) to you, and everyone

Vesta, anya, FEBbby23 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@unk-p 

What a great thread to revive! What a surprise to see a post from Coyote too.  Love each off the posts you featured.  Thank you for blessing us all with your presence in the beautiful community and thank you for bring laughter and music to us on a regular basis!

@anya

Waving back at you!  Hope you are doing well today!

DannyBoy, Vesta, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@anya hi I’m late to the party but here’s a big hi 👋 to you.  I love this community.  Nobody is alone.  Peace and love Anya ❤️

Lauren, Maggieci, DannyBoy and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

I can't imagine anyone being more grateful than Thomas Hand this evening.

For me, this story is the most powerful and hopeful to come from the Israeli/Hamas conflict. It is filled with so much light.

When Emily Hand was 2 years old, she lost her mother to cancer.  Her Irish father Thomas became a single parent as they were suddenly a family of 2.

At the age of 8, she was staying at a friends house for a sleepover on a kibbutz   when Hamas attacked the neighborhood and her friend's home.  Emily did not live on the kibbutz. After 2 terrifying days of worry, Thomas Hand was told his daughter had been killed during the attack.  He was broken and was seeing on the news stating that it was better for her to have been killed right away than be taken hostage and sent to Gaza.

But then, a miracle occurred.  A few weeks after being told she had been killed, he was notified she was actually alive and being held hostage. A whole new set of emotions and hope filled his heart.

Earlier this month, Emily turned 9 while in captivity, without her father. and likely without knowing it was even her birthday.  A bittersweet day for her father.  

Tonight, he was reunited with his daughter who ran to his arms.  He insisted her dog also be allowed to be present at the reunification site.  The Israeli army agreed without issue.  

Miracles can occur in ways we never would contemplate, like a little girl who rose from the dead and is safe in her fathers arms with her dog once again by her side.

I believe in miracles.  

I believe in love.

I believe light can overcome darkness.  

Holding all the hostages and families in my heart and hoping for many more reunifications.  May this region find true and deep peace.  May hope and love flood the land and fill the hearts of everyone.

May Emily, her father and those who love them heal. May she get a lot of kisses from her dog too. Dogs are such healing creatures.

Tesseract, earthangel, Lauren and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

Happy Holidays Everyone! I want to express my gratitude for gratitude. My husband and I are in NYC to celebrate my 66th birthday and to enjoy the seasonal festivities. The collective is festive, of course, but it feels a little lighter, too… which is wonderful. We’re seeing many messages of gratitude and it’s an uplifting experience. I’m grateful also that I met Jeanne in person today at MOMA! She couldn’t believe I recognized her, but I did immediately. I’m glad that I spoke up instead of doubting myself and keeping quiet. Also was a reminder for me to rejoin Circle of Light and spread my light and love for humanity. I love when serendipity provides these gentle proddings. :-)))   

Tara Prete, Tesseract, raincloud and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@febbby23)

@earthangel what a wonderful post.  It’s been a really horrible week and this just brought a smile to my face.  It’s a good reminder that no matter what there’s always something to be thankful for.  I love this community. Thank you all for your light.

Tara Prete, raincloud, Vesta and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 CC21
(@cc21)

@earthangel What a beautiful surprise! How fun!

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@earthangel 

I love that you have been surrounded by gratitude, that is fantastic!  Even better that you had a surprise encounter with Jeanne!  It is wonderful you actually spoke up and took a risk.  It certainly must have paid off.  What a great place to meet also!

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share: