Notifications
Clear all

Rooftop Revolving Lounge #3!

(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

@unk-p It's glorious, the chiefs won, Taylor won, the trolling of the maga dunces are in full effect, what a great night it gives me so much joy. That being said I realize if the Lions could of held on, and won against the 49ers, my favorite team (Detroit Lions) would have been in this Super Bowl and maybe could have won. I saw it once in a dream that they would have played but I guess fate changed it to a needed trolling of the trolls on the right. So be it.

Lauren, earthangel, raincloud and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@jsr78 Yes, it is great. And I think Love won.  I never watch football, but I watched this one because of the love affair. And guess what? I actually saw that amazing last second play that made me like football. My husband later asked, so you think you might like football now?  Well. Maybe a little, but really it was the love story that did it. Love is the greatest force, and their love story -- world renowned modern day princess (whose earned her moment in the sun) watching her knight in battle, now that is good for the collective.

Lauren, Lawrence, earthangel and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Have you heard Billy Joel's latest song?  It's his first song in 17 years.

I'm telling you, it's an example of yet  another recent song where I feel Spirit had a hand in helping the singer/songwriter (in this case Joel) connect to us all with an important message.  A message of our desire for  forgiveness and the beautiful ability to carry hope in our hearts to guide us forward and become our highest selves.  

@tesseract @unk-p @jeanne-mayell @dannyboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOf6CMbHPuA

earthangel, JourneyWithMe2, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tesseract)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures 

Yes I saw him sing it "live" as I taped the Grammys (Josh Groban was nominated for SweenyTodd Cast Album only reason I taped and what a show it was!) and tho I really only watched the amazing performances and skipped the award presentations, I was able to see him sing it live. The official video is mind-blowing, I guess they used AI to have him actually singing the new lyrics in very old videos? I believe "TURNING THE LIGHTS BACK ON" has a multitude of marvelous meanings, which you listed so beautifully. I also think it reflects greater humanity choosing, finally, to diminish the dark instead of letting the underbelly rise. Turning the Lights on means, perhaps, we can transmute that underbelly instead of it just sinking into the darkness again.

And of course, maybe IT IS JUST A FANTASTIC BILLY JOEL SONG! 😎 

Jeanne Mayell, daveh, JourneyWithMe2 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

@tesseract With the shift of Pluto from Gov't-ruling Capricorn to People-ruling Aquarius, yes, "turning the lights on" is appropriate. Pluto exposes that which is hidden and buried and brings it to light to be uprooted, torn down, torn apart, removed, and destroyed in order to create space for something new and better.

deetoo, earthangel, Unk p and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lovendures I am so grateful to Joel for that song and the video.  It was heaing for me. He has given so much to the world with his great talent, and I know he's been a bear of a person too, with his issues and childhood.  The song was seeking forgiveness and we all need forgiveness so I thank him.

Thank you for finding and posting it!

deetoo, daveh, Lauren and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@Andrew Posey texted this  unbelievable dog video.  The neighbors had been complaining about the noise from the owner's apartment when she was at work, so she set up a video recorder to see what was going on. 

https://www.tiktok.com/@onetwenty6/video/7336254263162572065

deetoo, Tara Prete, JourneyWithMe2 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

It's a thing. A Trump action figure in orange duds. 

deetoo, Lauren, Tara Prete and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

https://www.tastingtable.com/1485580/how-fast-do-revolving-restaurants-spin/&source=gmail&ust=1708407079851000&usg=AOvVaw2sRBV0qOcvvBbltpyHdvc p">how-fast-do-revolving-restaurants-actually-spin-?

no need to click the link, i will spill it for you here:

"...First things first: The spin is a slow roll with most of the world's best-known revolving dining rooms moving at a speed of about one full revolution per hour. It's gradual enough that the movement is almost indiscernible to humans...

...Revolving restaurants began popping up everywhere. At the height of their popularity, revolving restaurants were wowing guests at locations in more than half of the 50 U.S. states and close to 70 countries worldwide..."

They even built one here, in 1972, at the top of the Hyatt.  At 34 floors high, it was one of the tallest buildings in Houston.  But the downtown neighborhood has been changing. Now the Hyatt is dwarfed by surrounding skyscrapers.  Welcome to SuperGentrification!

"Look! there is the 34th floor of the Oil Baron building!  And there is the 34th floor of the Skank of America tower!" ...and so on. But eventually there is a gap, where a street cuts through, and you can briefly see for miles:

"Oh wow! I can see the Mattress Discount Center on the corner!"

"Really?!?  Which one?"

"All of them."

"According to the company website, the revolving turntables (it's not the restaurant that moves, it's the platform supporting the dining room) are built to minimize the perception of movement and noise. What about speed? Let's just say that's up to management. A control panel lets operators adjust speed and direction at will..."

In other words, it's not the discoball that is spinning.

"...But back to speed. Given the complexity of operating a giant turntable for diners, one might think the control panel would be tucked in a secret vault. Surprise. Most of the time, the machinery is run from the restaurant's greeting station. And about that one-turn-per-hour average? Turns out most systems don't have a maximum speed.."
  (emphasasis mine)

"Greetings.  I am @Unk-p, and i will be your hostess tonight.

please have a seat wherever"

Setting thrusters to warp speed 9

activate!

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@unk-p opened in Atlanta in 1967 . Built by John Portman. 
https://www.polarisatlanta.com

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, Lovendures and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 pafc
(@pat-czap)
Honorable Member Registered

My husband helped open the Hyatt Recency - Dearborn, Michigan hotel during 1975-1976. He worked there for several years. Anyway, there was a restaurant called The Rotunda...and it rotated at 2 speeds. One rotation per hour or one rotation per 45 minutes. The switch was in a locked cabinet.There was a monorail connection to the NEW huge mall across the street, where I worked at the time...we were young. 😉  The monorail is no longer, nor the Hyatt name on the building. The hotel and mall were wonderful in the early days. Thanks for the memories @Unk-p.

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@journeywithme2 I enjoyed the one at the top of the Hyatt in Atlanta in the 1970's.  We'd sit there, sip pink frozen daiquiris and watch Atlanta.

deetoo, Unk p, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

@journeywithme2 

I ate at that Atlanta one with my parents decades ago.  It was a really nice evening. 

deetoo, Unk p, Lauren and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@matildagirl)
Famed Member Registered

We have 2 revolving restaurants in Sydney, the one in Australia square I think was the first and I have eaten there many moons ago. Since then a lot more high rise have gone up so I think the view may not be as good these days, you would probably have better at the one in the Sydneytower. If you look at the websites you can see some of the views you get

https://skyfeastsydneytower.com.au/

https://www.obardining.com.au/

Regards to all

Matildagirl 

deetoo, Unk p, Maggieci and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@jeanne-mayell  My father's glass company did a lot of work for John Portman and they did the glass for it. :-)

deetoo, Unk p, Maggieci and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@lovendures It was definitely a "high class" experience to eat there. My father and mother would go there occasionally  ..but no way would they take their 5 kids there LOL.  I finally got to eat there when I was in my 20's and a date took me there.

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

the World's "oldest living teenager", Iris Apfel, has died. Age 102. 

From the New York Times:

Iris Apfel, a New York society matron and interior designer who late in life knocked the socks off the straight fashion world with a brash bohemian style that mixed hippie vintage and haute couture, found treasures in flea markets and reveled in contradictions, died on Friday in her home in Palm Beach, Fla. She was 102.

Stu Loeser, a spokesman for her estate, confirmed her death.

Calling herself a “geriatric starlet,” Ms. Apfel in her 80s and 90s set trends with clamorous, irreverent ensembles: a boxy, multicolored Bill Blass jacket with tinted Hopi dancing skirt and hairy goatskin boots; a fluffy evening coat of red and green rooster feathers with suede pants slashed to the knees; a rose angora sweater set and 19th-century Chinese brocade panel skirt.

Her willfully disjunctive accessories might be a jeweled mask or a necklace of jade beads swinging to the knees, a tin handbag shaped like a terrier, furry scarves wrapped around her neck like a pile of pythons and, nearly always, her signature armloads of bangles and owlish spectacles, big as saucers.

She was tallish and thin, with a short crop of silver hair and scarlet gashes on lips and fingernails, a little old lady among the models at Fashion Week and an authentic Noo Yawk haggler at a shop in Harlem or a souk in Tunisia. Many called her gaudy, kooky, bizarre, even vulgar in get-ups like a cape of gold-tipped duck feathers and thigh-high fuchsia satin Yves Saint Laurent boots.

"...

But she had a point.

“When you don’t dress like everybody else, you don’t have to think like everybody else,”

And from the Guardian:

When asked about ageing in a 2018 interview, Apfel said: “I wouldn’t want to stop the clock. No, that would be so boring. It would be like being caught in a time machine, a time warp. I don’t like that. I think variety is the spice of life.”

"More is more, and less is a bore"  -Iris Apfel ❤️ 

ghandigirl, Lauren, Freya and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Have you seen this yet?

It's a short video of former film/T.V. presidents giving Biden advice on his State of the Union address.  Many of the offered pieces of advice are things we would also wish for the president.  It is sweet and should bring a smile to your face. There were some great actor presidents represented.

(I wonder why Keith Sutherland didn't give advice from his role on Designate Survivor?  Oh, wait...yeah, that would not have been a good call considering how that series began...but suggestions  from Harrison Ford would have been great and same with Martin Sheen).

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitehouse

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Happy Daylight Savings Time, Community!

ghandigirl, raincloud, Lauren and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lovendures I loved that video. It lifted my spirits for Biden right when I needed it. And I am glad his people are creating videos like that.

I also thought he crushed it at the State of the Union.  

Every night I am doing @Tesseract's prayer plan for Biden: I am visualizing with all my inner powers that he is being inaugurated in January 2025 for the second time.  We are happy and I am hugging my husband and breathing a great sigh of gratitude. 

raincloud, Lauren, Maggieci and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 18 / 20
Share: