Notifications
Clear all

Rooftop Revolving Lounge #3!

(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

@impassionate Yeah, Happy Feet was released with a tracker on it. It disappeared in the ocean. Did he die? Why not put it in a zoo?

ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

For all those in the Me Too club, here's a little music for tonight, given the E. Jean Carroll verdict:

Sister Sledge

Mariah Carey

Jeanne Mayell, Tara Prete, JourneyWithMe2 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@impassionate)
Honorable Member Contributor

@elaineg I just watched this movie again a few weeks ago. He went looking for the aliens "humans" and was caught and put in a zoo.  He got everyone's attention by tap dancing.  So they put a tracker on him and released him back into the wild to find their colony and learn more about them and to stop cutting off their food supply.  I love that movie. Anyway, I won't even step foot in or near a zoo, not a fan of caging animals.  Either have a natural habitat where they can live in peace and not be on display for our amusement or leave them the heck alone!

ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

@impassionate I didn't see the movie. I saw and read the real news. They did not say they put him in a colony or anything. They released him in the ocean.

ReplyQuote
(@impassionate)
Honorable Member Contributor

@elaineg apologies.  I have no idea.  I got side tracked on Happy Feet and got all excited.  Lol! It's one on my favs.

ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

That's ok. I didn't know there was a movie. Seems Happy Feet was named for the movie. He washed up on New Zealand.  They gave him a head start on a boat before releasing him. He didn't make it home.

ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)
Illustrious Member Registered

The most shared clip from the Grammys (okay I made that statistic up) was a small clip of Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs singing "Fast Car" together.  Today Tracy Chapman's twitter account posted a link to the full performance: https://www.grammy.com/videos/tracy-chapman-luke-combs-fast-car-2024-grammys-performance-66th-annual-grammy-awards  

So of note here - a portion of the Right lost their damn minds about this team up.  There were also some fake posts of some very prominent Right Wingers calling it Luke Combs' song and not hers.  Most of that was false.  There were many posts on social media that I came across that wanted him singing it without her.  The worst was someone I knew from HS Who posted "Some dumb queer woman whose time has come and gone already" who I instantly blocked because... ugh.

Posting this because I love the team up and song but also because I'm wondering if anyone else gets chills and senses the power of those two together on stage the way I did.

I'm a HUGE Tracy Chapman fan and while she's disappeared from the limelight, I've always loved her beauty, her intellect, her ability to spin lyrics that cut to the heart of something and bare it raw for all of us to see.

I don't know much about Luke Combs but the moment that gives me goosebumps and tears is when they complete the song and the crowd starts cheering.  He doesn't accept any of it - he directs it all to her.  What an incredible symbol of equality, deference and respect his small gesture of shaking his head and pointing toward her demonstrates to all of us.  I have no doubt it was a white man giving a black woman the respect she deserves that was the true impetus behind pushback to this pair up.

My read on Combs from this is that he's deeply empathetic and compassionate - he just seems like an all around good guy.

More of this please.

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, Maggieci and 8 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@dannyboy 

Until you provided this link, I had only heard the Grammy performance, not seen it. Thank you!

Tracy Chapman wrote incredibly powerful songs which speak volumes. 

This story from Rolling Stone really describes what happened to get the song on stage for the Grammy's.  Your intuition about Combs is spot on.  The article is fantastic and I encourage you all to read it.  How they approached Chapman (even found Chapman who is a recluse) is fascinating. The performance for the Grammy's was all done in a way to honor Chapman.

As for Combs' thoughts on Chapman:

Combs was keen to do the Grammys performance with Chapman from the get-go. “But it’s such a big ask, and such a pipe dream, that we really didn’t think it was going to happen,” Kappy tells Rolling Stone.

Kappy says that when Combs learned that Chapman was on board, he asked that she have full creative control of the performance, despite it being billed by the Grammys as an appearance by Combs in an attempt to keep Chapman’s cameo a surprise. “Luke wanted to give Tracy every opportunity to shine,” Kappy says. “He said, ‘This is your song, and this is our opportunity to be a part of it.’”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/tracy-chapman-fast-car-grammys-how-it-happened-secret-1234962581/

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, Maggieci and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

Posted by: @lovendures

Kappy says that when Combs learned that Chapman was on board, he asked that she have full creative control of the performance, despite it being billed by the Grammys as an appearance by Combs in an attempt to keep Chapman’s cameo a surprise. “Luke wanted to give Tracy every opportunity to shine,” Kappy says. “He said, ‘This is your song, and this is our opportunity to be a part of it.’”

And you just made me cry at work.  Thank god Boone the Therapy Doodle is with me today!

Jeanne Mayell, ghandigirl, deetoo and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lawrence)

@dannyboy 

Yes! Gorgeous in every way. A white country star and a black lesbian recording legend loving on each other, the way it should be. Showing us the way. No divides, no separation. Brought me to tears.

ghandigirl, Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2 and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@dannyboy thank you for posting the Fast Car video! I had been looking for that, but only could find little one minute clips of it.  Since the Grammies performance, her song has shot to the top of the charts, and is now #1- surpassing the #6 slot that it peaked at in 1988. I'm so happy for her!  I used to see her around town in SF, doing her shopping and stuff.  But i could tell she was a very private person, so i would just smile and wave at her, even tho i really wanted to talk to her. 

Check out this Fast Car t-shirt that i got last year at ZineFest- i love the way the passenger girl has her hairy legs on the dashboard, as she paints her toenails, and they barrel towards the burning city. Oh, and the rainbow sticker on the rearview mirror.  Hehheh

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, deetoo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

ok, sorry, it said the file was too big, so i will have to figure out how to resize it, and try again

Jeanne Mayell and deetoo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

@dannyboy, thanks for the clip. I hadn't been able to find it, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

@unk-p, i have a digital SLR which creates file way too big. So, to downsize easily for posting, i take a pic of the with my phone, or if it's in my cloud gallery, I open it on my phone & screenshot. Instant downsizing.

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, deetoo and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

Unk’s shirt graphic!  I dig it! 

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, Tara Prete and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@dannyboy @lovendures

Thank you for the video and the Rollingstone article. Kindness, generostiy and talent beautifully manifested.

Jeanne Mayell, Vesta, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

This is a lovely story about a Ukrainian woman who is supporting her family by selling Clematis, Peony and other flower seeds online. Such beauty. Her light shines!

I'm sure there is a paywall; I apologize.

For a Ukrainian Gardener, Flowers Offer a Way Forward https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/07/realestate/ukraine-gardener-clematis-flowers.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

Jeanne Mayell, deetoo, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

I hate sports.   But today, i am rooting for whatever team Taylor's boyfriend plays for.  Because who doesn't want to see more MAGA 'splodey heads!?!

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, jsr78 and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dannyboy)

@unk-p with you!  Ive never really understood the love of bowling but for the same reason today I tell “go sports ball!”

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, jsr78 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@unk-p @dannyboy, not a football fan but I'm with Taylor's beau, Travis Kelce in spirit.

Instead I'm watching old youtube videos of Soul Train and copying some of their moves.

Jeanne Mayell, pafc, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@deetoo 

Gotta laugh!

ReplyQuote
Page 17 / 21
Share: