Notifications
Clear all

Music, Videos, Poetry that Gets Us Through

(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lovendures loved listening to both of those songs. Moving expressions that fill my heart and give me hope for this world. 

Songbird is one of my favorite songs.

I love everything about that song including those lyrics — such a deep  and humble expression of love from one person to another.  They fit the soul and remarkable contribution of Christine Macvie.

ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)
Illustrious Member Registered

This is a poem I carried around in my wallet for years. Today it came back to me through a friend and I learned the poet's name.

It's about Grace and Acceptance.

You Learn
After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
And company doesn’t mean security.
And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
And presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child,
And you learn to build all your roads on today
Because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
After a while you learn…
That even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your garden and decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure…
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth…
And you learn and learn…
With every good-bye you learn.
Jorge Luis Borges

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, Unk p and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@ghandigirl, what a wonderful way to greet my Saturday morning!  I'd read this beautiful poem years ago and had forgotten about it.  It is as meaningful now as it was then.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, ghandigirl and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

(2) There's Still My Joy - Indigo Girls - YouTube

(2) "There's Still My Joy" Siebert Family. - YouTube

This song is exactly how I feel today and I am sure many others do too. It is a song about grief, and amazing grace. 

I will be learning it on guitar during my week off. I am a singer and I am grateful to be able to sing this song and find some peace.

If you are grieving this Holiday Season, I hope that it comforts you as it does me. 

ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

The perfect song altered slightly for the times we are currently living.

In honor of the hostages who have recently been released and those still being held, I would like to share an incredible song with everyone.

Broadway came together a few weeks ago and did what they do best.

"Bring Them Home". 

You will definitely be moved. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sDLWpQqgg

Jeanne Mayell, Tesseract, earthangel and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures 

"Bring Him Home" is one of my all time favorites even before the beautiful adaptation you cited.

Here is another moving adaptation from Madonna's "Like a Prayer" in honor of the hostages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y2laYXcBdU

ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@raincloud @lovendures thank you for posting those incredibly moving songs.  They were like prayers.

raincloud reacted
ReplyQuote
(@luminous)

I've felt incredibly depressed today and I have been trying hard to raise my spirits and get into the mood for Christmas. So I decided to listen to Cher's new Christmss song to help me with that:

https://youtu.be/G_8Bo3eE-3Y?si=zJQD4XO0JXtCwXgD

Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tesseract)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures

Beautiful, beautiful version, when people come together to sing it so increases the power!

I also find (can't help mentioning 😊) that Josh Groban's version, on his Stages Album, is one of the songs when Spirit sings through him, or at the very least when I hear Spirit within his voice—and even though he is singing the original lyrics with "him" not "them" the power of this anti-war song, this song of love even in pain, is always immense. ANY rendition of this song is powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXnRf3TQcpk

ReplyQuote
 anya
(@anya)
Reputable Member Registered

Avant-garde holiday song.

https://youtu.be/XE0qtKkvVr8?si=MYufGtK8B5hmQA0U

(for sonic youth fans)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOXHsVp3otU

Yo la tengo byrds cover

Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

Many folks have expressed that the song "Songbird" by Christine McVie is meaningful to them. 

I am attaching my version here.  

Happy New Year to all.

Love, ghandigirl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFry2H3SHKg

ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@anya and here i thought i was the only one.   i yo la tengo! 

the room got heavy

black flowers

#tuba*power

ReplyQuote
 anya
(@anya)

@unk-p If those songs were directed at me, there's a misdiagnosis. I simply had an intense flare, and some things that were spoken confidentially were sold as entertainment.  Sometimes when I write it is not my opinion, but what is being served to me.  Hopefully, that makes sense.

ReplyQuote
 anya
(@anya)

Grateful for the good energy sent.  I am really trying to conserve energy at the moment and am grateful to have gotten a full nights sleep.

ReplyQuote
 anya
(@anya)

Vintage sonic delicacy.

https://youtu.be/ETqMNQw-a9M?si=m-FLteZzv0aO4Ve-

Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@anya ??? sorry, but i am not sure what you are talking about?  I have not been active online for a while, so i may have missed something.

Anyway, i was surprised and happy when i saw that you had posted the Yo La Tenga song.  Even tho they have been making great music for 40(!) years now, it seems that most people have never heard of them. My post was only directed to you in the same way that it was directed to anyone who might want to rock out to some music they may or may not have heard before. Yo La Tengo has so many great songs, that it was hard to only pick two of them.  There was no other meaning or message implied by me.

peace & love to you

FEBbby23 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

President Biden's speech was very moving. I listened to it several times and this section was very powerful.

...That's the America I see in our future
We get up
We carry on
We never bow
We never bend
We speak of possibilities
not carnage
We're not weighed down by grievances
We don't foster fear
We don't walk around as victims
We take charge of our Destiny
We get our job done...
President Joseph R. Biden
January 5, 2024

raincloud and Tara Prete reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

The great folk singer Melanie has died.   Her children have asked that we all light a candle at 10pm central time tonight, a reference to her song lay down (candles in the rain) , written about her experience performing at Woodstock, when she was a new artist:

“I had my first out-of-body experience. I was terrified,” she said. “I just left my body, going to a side, higher view. I watched myself walk onto the stage, sit down and sing a couple of lines. And when I felt it was safe, I came back. It started to rain right before I went on. Ravi Shankar had just finished up his performance, and the announcer said that if you lit candles, it would help to keep the rain away. By the time I finished my set, the whole hillside was a mass of little flickering lights. I guess that’s one of the reasons I came back to my body.”

Her passing has hit me hard.  I still remember the day my sister brought home the brand new Melanie record called My First Album. And hearing the first track. Her voice was so weird that i laughed, and  asked my sister if she was a little kid, like me? But by the end of that song, i was already in love with Melanie:

in the hour

I begged my sister to play it so often, she finally just gave it to me, with one of those little suitcase record players. And so My First Album was literally, my first album. Every song on that album was amazing.  Here's a few:

bobo's party

i really loved harold

momma momma

close to it all

ReplyQuote
(@tesseract)
Famed Member Registered

Searching rather aimlessly on YouTube because I was all wound up (for positive reasons) and this popped up.

It seemed rather pertinent.

And Lovely, just so VERY lovely.

The video is old and rather blurry, but the poem and the song are crystal clear.

Let it be a surprise. It was to me, after all these years. I think I will go to sleep and dream now.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9U3E58HC8

Tara Prete reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 25 / 25
Share: