The Great Turning P...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Great Turning Part 6

(@bluebelle)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@Allyn

I loved your thoughtful post and sense of optimism.  This is such a difficult time as you so well laid out: inflation, civil unrest, climate change, calls for violence by political extremists.  Even watching the January 6th Commission revealing the evidence against TFG is a shattering experience as we try to deal with the reality that our nation is deeply divided and GOP officials turned scores of blind eyes to an attempted coup.  Yet here we are.  And in spite of all the chaos and fears, I’m still optimistic for our future.  My intuition says we are going to make it through these dark days of uncertainty and worry.

In walking meditation a few weeks ago, I asked what I should know about the January 6th committee hearings.  I heard the words “death rattle” and instinctively knew that there would be violent, vocal opposition to the committee’s revelations.  As I hear about Texas’ regressive agenda, extremists’ threats against politicians and the loud angry voices of MAGAs, I remember that this is all part of of the death rattle of a political movement.  It’s horrifying and disturbing, but the end result will be the destruction of that party.  The death rattle may continue for quite a while and we will just have to endure the noise while we keep working for a better world.

A few weeks ago, I brought the poem “The Interim Time” by the Irish poet John O’Donohue to my Centering Prayer group for the day’s Lectio Divina.  This poem spoke to me and I felt that we are living through an interim time, waiting for change to happen, a positive change that we long for and dream of.

Blessing for: The Interim Time

By John O’Donohue

When near the end of day, life has drained
Out of light, and it is too soon
For the mind of night to have darkened things,

No place looks like itself, loss of outline
Makes everything look strangely in-between,
Unsure of what has been, or what might come.

In this wan light, even trees seem groundless.
In a while it will be night, but nothing
Here seems to believe the relief of darkness.

You are in this time of the interim
Where everything seems withheld.

The path you took to get here has washed out;
The way forward is still concealed from you.

The old is not old enough to have died away;
The new is still too young to be born.”

You cannot lay claim to anything;
In this place of dusk,
Your eyes are blurred;
And there is no mirror.

Everyone else has lost sight of your heart
And you can see nowhere to put your trust;
You know you have to make your own way through.

As far as you can, hold your confidence.
Do not allow confusion to squander
This call which is loosening
Your roots in false ground,
That you might come free
From all you have outgrown.

What is being transfigured here in your mind,
And it is difficult and slow to become new.
The more faithfully you can endure here,
The more refined your heart will become
For your arrival in the new dawn.

from: “To Bless the Space Between Us” by John O’Donohue. Pub in 2008 by Doubleday.

PamP, Seeker4, FEBbby23 and 25 people reacted
(@allyn)
Illustrious Member Registered

@bluebelle 

Thank you for your kind words.  I admit that it is extremely difficult to be optimistic right now, but perhaps I am too stubborn for my own good.  I am confident that we will make it, if for no other reason than because we actually listen to what the world around us is saying and are willing to adapt to we can succeed in the future.  The idea of living in the past is stupid.  I know my conservative neighbors look with fondness at the past, but that was a time when women were trapped in abusive marriages with no hope of getting out while those of color were marginalized and made to live in the lower levels of society in poverty and hopelessness.

I refer to such a time as "living on your knees."  We are people.  We should not have to kneel to one another, especially because of how we are born.  Being born a woman does not mean we are doomed to live in eternal bondage to be ruled over by men and husbands all our lives.  Being born from another country does not give people license to treat one like crap for not being "American."  Being born of a different color does not make one inferior.  Such thinking is evil.

How sad that advances are met with resistance.  In a way, I hope that the continued problems that plague us now will wash away the filth of the Republican party for all time.  We are the future, because we think for the future and the generations following us.  We don't push our values on others and force them to live our way.  We don't threaten them with violence when they don't agree with our values either.  When Covid 19 hit, we took steps to protect ourselves and our loved ones, while conservatives didn't.  They don't know it yet, but they are shrinking before our eyes.

If I am correct and the recession does hit, many people in the red states will become homeless, having to lose their homes and move back in with their families.  They will have to move to cities for more work as well.  Also, the heat waves and climate change plaguing our country will hit red states the hardest (mostly because our electric grid is sold to the highest bidder and is not regulated, so we will have blackouts in heat waves and many will die as a result.).

And then the Republican "Stop the Steal" campaign will really come back to haunt them.

Back in 2008, when many of my fellow Republican neighbors were displaced as a result of the recession, many of them lost their right to vote because whilst in the process of moving from place to place, they forgot to register.  Many were able to regain their voting rights in time then, but now?  With so many states adding ridiculous requirements to vote, what do you think will happen when many conservatives are forced to move to different areas and try to register to vote in their new hometown?

Yep, KARMA!!!!!!

By the way, did you see what Texas is up to with their talk to leave the US?  Methinks that some people need to point out the obvious facts if they want to keep postering.  Basically, Biden or other Democrats need to point out that if Texas tries to leave the US, then the US needs to take steps.

No, I am not saying war, of course.  Nothing will get them more riled up than that.  But if Biden should say, "Well, Texas, sorry to see you go!  I guess I will sign an executive order canceling all social security payments, veteran benefits, government services, etc. to your state right away.  You know I can't pay government benefits to people who aren't American citizens, right?  But that's ok!  I'm sure your governor has a plan to help you!"

Can you imagine the outcry from Texas if such an announcement was made?  Can you imagine how all these people (Republicans, Independents, and Democrats alike) will scream at Texas lawmakers for daring to take such actions that would put their monthly paychecks at risk?

I'm not saying Biden should do it.  That's not the outcome we want.  But if Biden should suggest that succession equals automatic suspension of government funds to Texas, how do you think the good people of Texas are going to react?  They can blame Democrats and Biden all they want, but they are more likely to go after the Texas Republicans and tell them to stop threatening succession or they will lose their government funding.

And the beauty of this plan?  Republicans can't challenge it in the courts yet because the courts will consider the problem not "ripe" yet. (AKA-the harm alleged is not yet certain.  It basically falls to Texas if they want to pull the trigger and succeed or not).  

Nothing scares regular voters more than the prospect of losing their money.  So if Biden makes it clear that succession equals no social security, then Texas will back off pretty quickly.  In many ways, it is like watching one person threaten their spouse with divorce every time he or she gets angry, but then freaks out when the other party says "Fine!  I agree!  Let's divorce!"

Sometimes you really need to call the bullies' bluff and show them who is really in charge.  Why bother with threats of force when you have control of the money.  Why pay federal money to a state that is plotting treason?  Again, I am not saying to go through with it, but simply to paint the bleak picture that Texas will face if they follow this path.  

If only the anti-Brexit group was more forceful in showing what would happen to Britain when they left the EU.  So many promises were made about prosperity and trade with the EU by the pro-Brexit group, and they were all lies.  Methinks we need to implement this more in the future and basically spell out what will happen to Texas immediately if they succeed.  The prospect of losing their money will freak them out because they have no recourse.  And the Supreme Court can't help them, because of all the anti-immigrant rulings they have made over the years.  Why would the courts make the federal government continue to make payments to a state that was no longer a member of the union?  

Well, that's my two cents, anyway.  I am hopeful that someone out there will take over the dialogue and basically call the Republican's bluff on many of these issues.  We don't need them at all, but in time they will learn that they need us.  So here is hoping they wake up to the fact that if they don't change their ways, we will throw them to the curb and happily slam the door shut behind them before we cheerfully roll up our sleeves and clean the mess they made.

PamP, Seeker4, Dracaena and 17 people reacted
(@april)
Noble Member Registered

@allyn 

Also, if TX does leave, the US is under no obligation to provide protection or military assistance. While so many R scream about “immigrants” and “replacement theory”, what do they really think will happen if they have no military to protect TX from an invasion? 

Honestly, TX would be prime pickings for Mexican Cartels working to get more drugs into the US. TX will end up a bigger mess than it is now.

PamP, Seeker4, November and 15 people reacted
(@mickiemac)
Reputable Member Registered

@ allyn

Great post - also should Texas have devastating Hurricanes/storms there will be no FEMA to help nor any federal assistance should their power grid become compromised.  This is sure to be compounded with the ongoing/future heat domes that are blanketing that part of the country.  So glad I live in Virginia (Charlottesville area).

PamP, Seeker4, Dracaena and 11 people reacted
(@bluebelle)

@allyn Everytime I hear that a state wants to secede from the Union, I think, “go right ahead.”  That just means more money for the United States.  A lot of those secessionist leaning states are red states that end up taking more money from the federal government than they contribute.  Texas may be the exception, but as you note, they still rely on the federal government for social security.  And what about the national military?  Does Texas think they are going to take a share of the military with them when they secede?  I don’t see that happening.  And who’s going to pay for their infrastructure needs in Texas?  The Texas electrical grid is a joke.  Texans don’t pay a state income tax and are reliant on federal funds.  It all just tough Texas talk that’s masking the death rattle of a political party.

PamP, Seeker4, FEBbby23 and 19 people reacted
(@dannyboy)

Everyone - thank you.  It is somehow quite comforting to know that I'm not the only one getting this read.

I think it's good to remember we've all seen a positive outcome coming - I just can't shake the feeling thanks to that reading I did that something big is coming - I would like to tell my next self to reincarnate during boring times - somewhere smack dab in the middle of a thousand-year peace or something.  

PamP, Maggieci, Seeker4 and 19 people reacted
(@livingfree)
Reputable Member Registered

@bluebelle thank you for this poem.  It’s comforting to know this ‘in between time’ is an experience many of us are sharing, and it’s necessary.  We cannot get to where we’re going without feeling the pain of leaving behind all that we have known. That is not comfortable. But together, we take the next step - not sure where it leads, but confident we are led. 

PamP, Seeker4, CC21 and 11 people reacted
(@tybin)
Famed Member Registered

I am enjoying watching the death rattle of the MAGA GOP. Can we trade 🇵🇷 and DC for Texas and Florida? They’re going to fall into the ocean anyways;) 

Enough have seen that we will be ok in the election so I’m going to be hopeful that is the case. 

I’m still frustrated that we have Ukrainians in concentration camps, 300k children sent w/o parents to Russia, 50,000k dead in Mariupol and brutal rapes yet the world can’t focus on these atrocities. 

Good riddance to Putin and Trump. Their downfalls can’t come fast enough 

PamP, November, Allyn and 17 people reacted
(@freya)
Famed Member Registered

@april @mickiemac @bluebelle  The key to your keen observations is that many GOP Texans don't think, they seem incapable of seeing the big picture or consequences...  The secessionist Russian speakers in eastern Ukraine had the same viewpoint... until the Russians invaded...

PamP, lenor, Seeker4 and 15 people reacted
(@jaidy)
Noble Member Registered

when I was a little girl I packed a grocery bag of clothes and said I was running away. The threat of seceding is the behavior of a child not getting their way. We humor the child with compassion as we must those who make threats of seceding- we are all souls learning on this path. 
some of these young souls have bought into various lies sold to them by media aiming to stoke fear in them- just like children who believe stories or monsters under their bed are real we meet them with love and calm them. 
whenever I get frustrated that my parents who have bought into these stories I remember they are my brothers and sisters connected on this earth to us all- I know my own frustration comes from fear too, and I try to replace it with trust that this universe knows what it is doing by offering us these lessons- and that fear isn’t real. We all deserve compassion and love because we all have lessons on our paths.

PamP, Kateinpdx, Jeanne Mayell and 27 people reacted
(@itsmaibirfday)
Estimable Member Registered

A heartwarming story about a parent's experience with her son wearing traditionally feminine clothes to school. People these days seem much more accepting and supportive than in the past. I feel like even though the political climate is divisive and stressful, stories like this are evidence that we are progressing, even if they are just small steps. The younger generation seems like they will bring positive change just by the nature of them being more open minded.

My 7yo son went to school with a pink bathing suit for his swimming lesson today

When he was 3 years old, he loved pink things, princesses and nail polish, and wore his hair long. When he got older his interest became more stereotypical for boys: dragons, dinosaurs and ninjas to name a few, and wanted his hair short, so we kind of assumed it was a phase. Occasionally he still asked for nail polish, and wore it happily. A few kids in school told him it was for girls, he told them it was just pretty and he liked it. Most kids and the teacher were kind and gave him compliments... READ ON!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Parenting/comments/vhzyqf/my_7yo_son_went_to_school_with_a_pink_bathing/

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Share and 21 people reacted
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

@itsmaibirfday What a wonderful story!  All reports i hear and read point to some powerful changes  in the public schools.   Can anyone here over the age of thirty imagine such loving and logical acceptance in your elementary school days?  Thank you for posting this!

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, raincloud and 13 people reacted
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@itsmaibirfday 

This is the most amazing article.  Thank you so much for posting it.  

Wow! Wow!  Wow!!

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, raincloud and 11 people reacted
(@chromosomexy)
Prominent Member Registered

I had a 7 year old boy in my class this year who wanted to wear nail polish. He painted his nails while he was in gym class. I saw his hands after class because he had made a mess with a marker. I was shocked at first, because it's my first year teaching and I wasn't expecting this kind of self-expression from a first grader. From a fifth-grader, yes. But then I remembered I tried to paint my nails when I was in third grade and my dad yelled at me and made me wash it off. I didn't want that to be this student's experience. I had to reprimand him for taking a marker out of the classroom. I told him it's not the fact that he painted his nails I was concerned about, but that he took the marker to gym and apparently used it instead of engaging in gym class. When I asked him why he did it, he pointed to another boy in my class and said, because Andrew (not his real name) did it and I want to paint my nails. I was laughing inside, but trying to handle it professionally. I had to share it with his mom at pickup. She was very calm about it and said, "Why do you want to paint your nails?" He replied, "Because I like it and I want pretty nails and a purse." She just smiled as if to say, "That's our Brandon (again not real name)." 😆 The younger generation is much more tolerant of change and self expression. None of the kids in my class said anything rude or mean to him about it. It could be because he was one of the smartest and most assertive students in my class. But I think the teacher sets the stage for how to react to such things and kids will follow and be accepting as well if the teacher is.

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Share and 15 people reacted
(@billy-mike)
Noble Member Registered

@chromosomexy Another reassuring anecdote illustrating welcome change.  . . 

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Maggieci and 7 people reacted
(@jkl1907)
Estimable Member Registered

@dannyboy this article on how Uranus (planet of change) will be aligning with the Lunar North Node at the end of July might explain some of the uneasiness you are feeling as well. While it may be rough energy, this alignment should ascend the planet as a whole. https://foreverconscious.com/intuitive-astrology-uranus-and-the-north-node-2022   

PamP, Lauren, CC21 and 9 people reacted
(@allyn)

@chromosomexy 

I am not a teacher myself (and may God bless anyone in that profession) but I come from a family of teachers.  People truly don't appreciate teachers any more!  High stress, low pay, (not to mention the always present risk of a school shooting), and not nearly the respect and power they richly deserve.  My hat's off to you.

This story brings to mind a conversation I had with classmates when I was in highschool in the nineties.  We were discussing how a male classmate had apparently borrowed his sister's foundation to hide some acne he had.  Most of the guys had given him a hard time and called him names that I won't repeat here.  Most of us girls came to his defense.

Which brings up a question that has plagued me ever since.  Why has no one thought of starting a line of male cosmetics?  I am thinking foundation and powder for the face that helps accentuate a male's features, tones down any discoloration (and, in some people's cases, acne and scarring), and is designed to treat men's faces during puberty and the time they develop facial hair whilst still allow them to feel more confident in their natural masculinity and handsomeness?

I have never understood why no one has tried to produce male-targeted cosmetics before.  I know that many of my male friends suffered growing up because they often had to bare the embarrassment of acne and scarring while us girls at least had the ability to cameflogue it.  It seems a bit unfair to me.

Of course, this is coming from a female who questioned why girls wore dresses and boys wore pants in grade school because, by my reasoning, boys needed more room in that particular area of their anatomy than girls did.  LOL!  Only seven years old, and I was already a budding liberal, especially with my assertion that the Scotts must be the smartest men in the world for recognizing that important fact. 😂

Yes, I am a bad, bad girl.

But seriously, will a day come where my male colleagues can go to tge local store and buy some foundation without embarrassment?  Because it seems a bit unfair that my fellow male friends can't have their own line of cosmetics.

PamP, DannyBoy, Share and 11 people reacted
(@chromosomexy)
Prominent Member Registered

@allyn 

Hilarious! 😂. In college I would sometimes use foundation to hide my acne. I think there are male cosmetics out now. They probably don't get the attention though. I've switched to using charcoal soap and tea tree oil for acne. It works so well. I'll stick with pants. Thank you. Teaching is a trip. Kids are so much fun. As far as shootings go, well I'm in a school that has shootings right outside our school at least once a year. The day before I started, a person was gunned down right next to our parking lot. The main concern is that if a gunman ever tried to break into our school, the fear is parents in our neighborhood would probably show up with their guns to take the shooter out. I'm told there's a lot of drugs and shootings on our street but they leave us alone because their kids attend our school, soooo... I just try to walk with angel protection whenever I feel worried.  

PamP, Lauren, Allyn and 5 people reacted
(@tgraf66)

Posted by: @allyn

Why has no one thought of starting a line of male cosmetics?  I am thinking foundation and powder for the face that helps accentuate a male's features, tones down any discoloration (and, in some people's cases, acne and scarring), and is designed to treat men's faces during puberty and the time they develop facial hair whilst still allow them to feel more confident in their natural masculinity and handsomeness?

It's been done. :-)  From former baseball player Alex Rodriguez, May 2021: https://www.premiumbeautynews.com/en/alex-rodriguez-is-launching-a-men,18542

More info, same time frame: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/arod-makeup-men-blur-stick/index.html

Use your favorite search engine and search "male cosmetics" or "male cosmetics line"  :-)

PamP, Jeanne Mayell, Lauren and 7 people reacted
(@jaidy)
Noble Member Registered

I am a teacher in St. Paul- I would say several boys from k-5 paint their nails in each classroom. We have a lot of boys experiment with different hair dyes- bright colors and when we have spirit days some of our boys feel comfortable gender bending into cruella deville or their other favorite singers etc. this is my 16th year teaching, and my career has mostly been in urban places like the Bronx and south side Chicago so I don’t know how it is in red states or rural areas but in that time I’ve noticed that kids can really do anything without peer pushback. I have had students come out as trans from age 6-16 and maybe it’s bc it’s urban but peers and staff (and other parents) have all been supportive. Moreover there are many childrens books now that speak to showing up as your authentic self - whatever that may look like. In facing the struggles of gun and police violence and the aftermath of George Floyd there have been several new books that look at talking to young people about contemporary social issues that simply didn’t exist even ten years ago when I was in nyc and Eric garner was murdered by police. I’d rather have less violence than the books but we no longer bottle these things up, pretend kids aren’t old enough to understand or deal with what is happening in front their eyes or with themselves. Another thing we have done is look at how our Muslim students can show up at school- for example we no longer have crazy hair day during spirit week because our students wear the hijab and feel excluded. We have stopped celebrating Valentine’s Day too- this was controversial but it centers Christianity and classrooms chose to do a friendship day (which is in March) or this year many classrooms had a Winter Olympics festival instead.

PamP, 2ndfdl, Lovendures and 13 people reacted
Page 3 / 31
Share: