Year Round Daylight...

Notifications
Clear all

Year Round Daylight or Standard Time

(@jess-dream-2020)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  

Okay, I am disgusted that the Senate has voted "yes" to making Daylight Savings permanent, as it would be detrimental to everyone, no matter what. Will the House reject the idea and abolish Daylight Savings for Permanent Standard Time for the sake of sleep, health, safety, the environment, prosperity, and civil liberties?

lenor, Lauren, lenor and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

@jess-dream-2020  I think it means they passed a law meaning no more falling back each Fall ... that it stays this way year round. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/03/15/politics/senate-daylight-saving-time-permanent/index.html

I have always been of the put it one way or the other but leave it alone.. its the switching back and forth that is so harmful and disrupting to our bodies. 

To stop switching it back and forth is the goal in my view.

TriciaCT, theungamer, Coyote and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)
Illustrious Member Registered

@jess-dream-2020 You’re right, if they had elected to go with standard time then we would be in sync with Arizona and Hawaii who do not switch to DST. But you know  our elected senators just so smart! They can’t think outside the box or inside the box either. 🤯 

LivingFree2, Lauren, Vesta and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jaidy)
Noble Member Registered

I plan to write my rep in Minnesota- it is awful waking up and going to work in the dark- I’m a teacher. I love the idea of keeping standard time permanent- the daylight savings time option is meant to be good for businesses. Scientists are furious bc this goes against nature and is bad for sleep patterns, depression etc. when will prioritize science and stop the obsession with money making.

LivingFree2, Lauren, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

I am in AZ where we don't change time.  I would prefer it remain standard time, not daylight savings.  

Arizona will need to aline with Pacific time or Mountain time .  We don't change our clocks so half the year we are allied with Colorado and the other with California. We are technically Mountain time but don't change .

I call it AZ time.

LivingFree2, TriciaCT, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@maggieci)
Noble Member Registered

I agree with keeping Standard Time rather than DST. Not only will that align us with some non-DST states but also a few major countries which use only ST. 

Have these Congresspersons done a deep comparison on which time is better for us? I really doubt it.

LivingFree2, lenor, Lauren and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@livingfree)
Reputable Member Registered

I live in a northern state with very long, dark winters and prefer year-round standard time as well; however, I feel grateful to have so many wonderful things in my life that I have the luxury to complain about a time change. My 'great' congressman, Rosendale, voted against supporting Ukraine, and now wants to sue the gov't over the expense of requiring people to continue wearing masks on airplanes. Aye aye aye ... He definitely does not represent me. LOL. I'll let you tackle the time change issue, it doesn't make my list of priorities - but that doesn't mean it 'shouldn't' be important to you.  Good luck!

FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

Weighing in on this because why not. Time is such an artificial construct...anyhoo...

I live in Southern California, so in winter it does get dark around 5pm, and in summer around 8pm. So not as extreme as NYC, where I grew up.

In the 70s I remember we stayed on daylight savings one year to "save energy." It was awful. Having to take public buses to school in pitch dark, not see the sun come up til we were already in class, and it would STILL be dark by 4:30pm. So there were weeks when I never saw the sun at all, never mind the weather aspect. Very depressing and I still get S.A.D. if I'm living too far north.

The current push for forever DST comes from a position of privilege. Those who have to work or go to school mornings do not benefit from it at all. It does not save gas nor electricity because if it's dark in your house at 7am you have to turn everything on. Same for schools and businesses.

The problem I have with Pacific Time, especially standard, is that CA is so far East in the time zone. My feeling is that CA should join Mountain Time, and it should be called Western Time.

And NO-no daylight savings, just stay on standard. It's not fair to people who have to work or go to school.

What would wake much more sense is to embrace the movement to have school days start a bit later. For example, my old school district in VA had elementary school start at 8, middle schools at 8:30, and high schools at 9. The high schools had the option of scheduling early practices/clubs if they wanted to, starting at 7:30am.

And now that so many jobs are remote, we don't need to keep switching back and forth. I was always told it was created for farmers, by Ben Franklin, but I think that's just myth at this point. Cows and corn don't have clocks to watch and farmers traditionally always worked according to the sun.

BlueBelle, Lauren, Maggieci and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@livingfree)

Laura, I agree with all you said.  I don't feel hopeful right now that this will be addressed any time soon, but it's fun to imagine.  Really like the idea of rolling start times for schools back, especially for High School students.  Science provides many reasons why that would be supportive ... but again, not hopeful it'll change quite yet.  If we can just hang in there another decade I think many of these issues will move forward.  The future is progressive. 

BlueBelle, Lauren, ghandigirl and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@elaineg)
Famed Member Registered

Sorry, but I like Daylight Saving Time. I have night blindness, so more daylight means more things like going to a 1:30 show without worrying about driving home before it gets dark. 

Lauren, FEBbby23, Lauren and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@livingfree)

Elaine, I think it matters tremendously where one is located in the US. I live in a northern state on the far western edge of the mountain time zone. Right now we have very long hours of daylight (5ish to 10ish) In winter we have the opposite.  My primary concern with daylight saving time is that it’s really hard to see children walking to school. I doubt this issue is going to be resolved any time soon, if ever. In the interim, I’d love to see parents and schools come up with creative ways to light up their kids. Instead of changing times, I suspect we could get very creative with compromise. 

BlueBelle, Lauren, BlueBelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@livingfree 

They need to adjust school timing to be more age appropriate and also seasonally appropriate.

FEBbby23, Lauren, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: