The Great Turning P...

Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Great Turning Part 6

(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@jeanne-mayell, thank you for reposting everything that got deleted in restoring to 8/21/22 backup.  I'm sure that took a lot of your time to accomplish.  Most of all, thank you for ensuring that our voices are heard and for caring so much about our community! 

November, Lauren, FEBbby23 and 6 people reacted
(@deetoo)

I thought some of you might appreciate the attached piece by John Pavlovitz.   Even though our world feels overwhelming right now, he reminds us of the importance in keeping our hearts opened and engaged.  May we continue to care for each other, all sentient beings, and our planet, and also remember to care for ourselves.

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2022/03/07/you-should-be-weary-right-now/

Lauren, FEBbby23, lenor and 2 people reacted
(@laura-f)
Illustrious Member Participant

@deetoo 

Adore Jon Pavlovitz, and even though I don't identify as Christian, I see that he is the true embodiment of what Jesus (and Buddha!) were about.

2ndfdl, Lauren, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
(@ana)
Illustrious Member Registered

@deetoo   Thank you for that.

I would add that when we feel the most weary and cynical, that is the best time to go out of our way to perform some random act of kindness. Feed a parking meter, give a fiver (!) to a panhandler without judgement, admire someone's t-shirt, shoes, earrings, dog, car... whatever (as long as you are sincere), hold doors for people, pick up trash on a trail... anything.  It will strengthen you even if the beneficiary of your deed never even knows you did it.  

Lauren, FEBbby23, Unk p and 3 people reacted
(@marigold)
Noble Member Registered

Oh @kateinpdx, I did not take your posts like that at all. I found them compelling and true. And yes I do agree places definitely hold the energy and history of events and feelings.

Growing up in the middle south I've often visited the Lowcountry. Groves of those old live oaks there have such a deeply uplifting presence. Though two years ago I visited a spot by a coastal river with live oaks and rambling old camellias, an abandoned place right within the town; it felt so bad, oddly dangerous even, that I felt I had to leave quickly and did. Now that I think about it, it was January of 2020 and I kept having impressions of that place being an unconsecrated dumping ground for bodies of people who had died centuries ago from epidemics like yellow fever. Some kind of resonance with or harbinger of Covid on the horizon?

Probably that hungry intersection that your client mentioned needed energy clearing, and maybe also a traffic engineer to make adjustments!

Thank you, Kateinpdx, for your post which prompted me to think about all this. The energy of places can be changed, with intention and alignment with the highest good.

Lauren, LalaBella, FEBbby23 and 2 people reacted
(@triciact)

Biden Laid the Trap. Trump Walked Into It.

At his Pennsylvania rally, the former president gave exactly the narcissistic display his Democratic nemesis tried to provoke.

This article made me grin like crazy. Biden knew what he was doing, unlike TFG he's got his sanity in check.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/09/trump-pennsylvania-rally-republicans/671344/

FEBbby23, 2ndfdl, tybin and 6 people reacted
(@unk-p)

Renée Graham 
@reneeygraham

ABC, NBC, and CBS are all airing Charles's first speech as king. None of them aired President Biden
's primetime speech about the ongoing threats to American democracy.

Newsflash to the Media:  The British actually lost the War of American Independence

Jeanne Mayell, LalaBella, Vesta and 7 people reacted
(@herukane)
Noble Member Registered

@unk-p This, to put it bluntly, pissed me off greatly. I actually emailed all the channels about there failure to show our President. But the fact that they showed his speech and not our leader's speech, makes me so freaking mad. 

--

On the topic of monarchy, I have been thinking about it with all that has gone on. I can't help but wonder if there actually is a place for it in a 'modern' system. I'm not saying "let the king do whatever they want" but more as a guiding light and an institutional memory. I wonder what the future will bring to monarchy, will it slowly go away or could there be an actual revival as we realize having that could be useful. Either way its interesting to think about. 

Jeanne Mayell, Lauren, LalaBella and 2 people reacted
(@laura-f)

Posted by: @unk-p
Renée Graham 
@reneeygraham

ABC, NBC, and CBS are all airing Charles's first speech as king. None of them aired President Biden
's primetime speech about the ongoing threats to American democracy.

Newsflash to the Media:  The British actually lost the War of American Independence

Frankly we would have fared better had the Revolution failed. Just MHO.

Lauren reacted
(@laura-f)

@herukane 

Agree that it's time for the British monarchy to fade into the sunset. I strongly suspect that once Charles passes, William will be reforming the system, not sure how though.  Other countries with parliamentary systems don't rely on a monarch.

lenor and Jeanne Mayell reacted
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Katie Hobbs (D) will not debate Kari Lake (R) for AZ Governor. 

Kari Lake is the former local Fox News anchor who is not only a huge supporter of Trump, she is...  well... a horrible choice for our state. That is the nicest thing I can say really. 

The announcement was made Sunday by Hobbs' campaign manager Nicole DeMont. 

The Republican primary debate was insane and made national headlines in a most horrible ,very bad way.  Hobbs doesn't want a repeat crazy performance by Lake so she declined to debate. 

"Unfortunately, debating a conspiracy theorist like Kari Lake – whose entire campaign platform is to cause enormous chaos and make Arizona the subject of national ridicule – would only lead to constant interruptions, pointless distractions, and childish name-calling," DeMont said in a statement. "Arizonans deserve so much better than Kari Lake, and that’s why we’re confident Katie Hobbs will be elected our next governor."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/09/11/hobbs-not-debate-lake-whats-next-arizonas-gubernatorial-race/8038059001/

lenor, Lauren, Freya and 2 people reacted
(@herukane)
Noble Member Registered

@laura-f I mean honestly that was not what I was saying at all. In fact I was saying the opposite. That it could be useful for a nation to have an institutional memory, a person who is there for the good times an the bad and can be a sort of sounding board. 

The fact that she was there for 15 PMs and met 13 out of the last 14 Presidents, and probably similar numbers in other world leaders intrigues me. 

I honestly think it makes a lot more sense to have stronger local democracy - where matters directly effect the people - and a more rapid response upper government. The thing is upper governments - federal, planetary, etc - don't need to cover day to day life things. But they do need to be strong enough to act when major events happen. Its why I am so against the whole "the federal government fades and states take up the majority" element that so many people here have - with our growing tech being able to impact the whole world you need MORE national and international and planetary operations, not less of them. We NEED the ability to act rapidly over increasingly vast scopes in a crisis and random local and state boundaries would hamper the ability to engage in safety mechanisms. 

I'm actually all for super local democracy - local people having a say in the most local of matters - with state and regional and a planetary government having some representation but more the ability to act as needed when needed for the good of all. You can't have a vote in a crisis. 

So yeah, I really hope that instead of a push back to "majority local" I hope we expand to "planetary". Let us have an actual global government capable of acting where and when needed in a crisis that our vaster in reach technology and our sheer numbers can cause. 

Vesta, Iridium, Lauren and 1 people reacted
(@unk-p)

BREAKING:

Ron Filipkowski 

@RonFilipkowski

Mike Lindell just got searched by the FBI. His phone was seized. There are 200 MAGA influencers with MyPillow promo codes freaking out right now.

"We stopped out of no where at an Arby's in Mankato, Minnesota and they (the FBI) came out of nowhere." 
 -Mike Lindell

Lauren, Vesta, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
(@laura-f)

@unk-p

The food at Arby's is criminal so makes sense to me!

lenor, Lauren, Maggieci and 3 people reacted
(@unk-p)

@laura-f guess he spent all his money trying to destroy democracy, and now he is reduced to eating at Arby's.  Oh well, Mr. MyPillowGuy has always been a little soft in the head.

lenor, Lauren, LalaBella and 3 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@laura-f Did you ever try doing stand-up? If you do, I want to be there.

lenor, Vesta, Lauren and 1 people reacted
(@laura-f)

@jeanne-mayell 

I've done storytelling and a little improv and a crap-ton of acting. Stand up has crossed my mind, the issue is that I get too tired at night these days, and to start out doing open mic slots at 2am on a Tuesday is just not something I can do at this age. And I don't know enough about things like TikTok to know what to do to be successful without harming myself.

C'est la vie...

lenor, Maggieci, Vesta and 3 people reacted
(@laura-f)

Posted by: @unk-p

@laura-f guess he spent all his money trying to destroy democracy, and now he is reduced to eating at Arby's.  Oh well, Mr. MyPillowGuy has always been a little soft in the head.

Ladies and gentlemen, he's here all week. Remember to tip your waitress!

lenor, Vesta, Lauren and 3 people reacted
(@cindy)
Illustrious Member Registered Participant

And more good news came from the last jobs report. Over 300K  jobs added last month.

Rumor has it that most of those new jobs were for TFG/GOP grand juries.

lenor, Lovendures, Maggieci and 3 people reacted
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@laura-f Hahahah! That made me smile.  And I know you love to cook great food!

DannyBoy, lenor, Vesta and 1 people reacted
Page 29 / 31
Share: