Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] John McCain

(@sophie)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  

I want to offer you, my American friends, my deepest condolences for the lost of Senator John McCain. He made a difference for his country and the world. Whether we agreed with him or not, the world knew John McCain and respected him.  We would see him in Halifax almost every year, along with people he mentored.  Along with serving his country with devotion, he mentored many people, democrats and republicans.  History will remember him as a great American hero who made a difference in many poeple's lives, who spent his life serving his country with honor and dignity.  Following Prime Minister Trudeau's tweet over 30 000 people responded in different ways with sympathy.

"Senator John McCain was an American patriot and hero whose sacrifices for his country, and lifetime of public service, were an inspiration to millions. Canadians join Americans tonight in celebrating his life and mourning his passing."

BTW: 30 000 is a lot in Canadian!

LalaBella, javamyworld, Michele and 13 people reacted
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Sophie, thank you for your beautiful words.  They mean a great deal.

Sophie, Jeanne Mayell, Sophie and 1 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Oh Sophie. Thank you!   Yes 30,000 is a lot in Canadian lol. 

Sophie and Sophie reacted
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

Yes   indeed! Sophie that was not only beautifully expressed but perfectly mirrored how I feel and why is death has affected so many of us Americans who treasured the man in spite of not always agreeing with some of his views or his pick of a running mate.

A good and decent man You shared some new reasons to appreciate him and your heartfelt condolences mean so much!

Thank you so much.

BlueBelle, Sophie, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
(@bluebelle)

Thank you, Sophie.  We are all grieving the loss of John McCain, one of our Greats.  In comparison, the Orangeman looks incredibly petty and small.  Very, very small and his days are numbered.  I can’t help but be amused that McCain out shadows him, even in death.  Truly, when you look at McCain’s life, his bravery and courage and endurance are examples for us all.  Godspeed, John McCain.  You are sorely missed and will always be remembered.

Sophie, Jeanne Mayell, mariad and 5 people reacted
 Blue
(@blue)
Honorable Member Registered

Yes, many condolences. Despite the sadness of his passing I feel that his passing offers some light in the darkness because of how he wanted his services to be carried out, who he asked to speak at them (and who not), and of course in the legacy of the example he set during his lifetime. I am not a US citizen, and I don't support the Republican ideals  - yet I have the greatest respect for John McCain and am sadden by his passing.  He had an extraordinary life, and appears to have lived it with dignity, morals, and truth to the values he believed in.

Why I say it offers some light in the darkness is because of the stark contrast of his words and actions compared to those in power now. At this troubled time, with all the shananegans going on with the Presidency and the division this is causing, his words and legacy of his actions and the many many tributes from those from both parties and those who knew him well, the appalling behaviour of Trump and those around him has been magnified. Although he may be gone, McCain's example of how to behave in a dignified honest way lives on, and that is sorely needed at this time.  I think at this time that is something very precious to leave behind - I think it will make people stop and think when they hear the tributes and find out more about his life through the coverage on TV, and see the contrast with Trump et. al.

I actually feel quite emotional watching the coverage on TV. When Trump passes I doubt very much the words that have been spoken from the heart about McCain will be uttered about Trump....

And I reckon Trump is feeling really galled by the coverage and respects paid to him. He will never get that kind of respect and ceromony and turnout to his service. You can't demand or just expect that kind of response, it's earned. And John McCain earned it.

BlueBelle, Sophie, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
(@robin)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi I’m new here, and spent most of the day debating with myself on whether to post this or not.  While watching the McCain funeral today I kept seeing Sophie’s prediction for 2019.         “Obama will try to bring light back to the country. Bush will assist him. Clinton will be along for the ride.”   It feels that McCain has set this into motion today, with the way he planned his funeral.  From the seating arrangements, to the music, to who he choose to speak. I could picture him pushing white light throughout the cathedral.

BlueBelle, Sophie, villager and 13 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank-you, Robin, for this beautiful post.   Welcome to the community.  

Robin and Robin reacted
 lynn
(@lynn)

I didn't see that prediction but it's amazingly spot-on!  

Yesterday while I was watching the funeral, and Bush and Obama's eulogies in particular, I not only felt nostalgic for more normal days, but I kept getting this picture in my head of an iceberg breaking. I think the funeral, so dignified and such a reminder of what we can be as a country, might also serve as something the just breaks through to the national sentiment and causes a real change. It was such a stark reminder how badly the national discourse has degenerated. I feel it will have long lasting impact.  Did anyone get the same feeling?

Welcome Robin!  Blue, I think Trump was steaming yesterday. 

BlueBelle, Sophie, Jeanne Mayell and 9 people reacted
(@maria-d-white)
Noble Member Registered

*Something* definitely appeared to happen in connection to John McCain's funeral, but I wasn't able to sense clearly what. It had something of the feeling of an iceberg breaking, also like a phoenix rising from the ashes. But it was more like an opportunity for these things to happen, rather than it actually happening. Something like, the Republican party has been given a chance to fix some of the things they did wrong in the past, but it's up to them whether to take this opportunity or not.

BlueBelle, Sophie, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
(@michele-b)

It was a powerful and meaningful three days of funerals and none more eloquent or powerful than Megan McCain's eulogy.

The iceberg sound and the cold were the shift of energetic hearts cracking open and softening.  That's the power of love when joined by a myriad of heartstrings connecting all over the world. And the power of transformstive healing and seeing through the illusion to the truth of what really is, and can be created in love with a balance of power and fullness again beyond the illusions.

Combined with the synchronicity of Aretha Frankin's funerals we were filled with awareness and power of cultures,  races, minorities and the ever increasingly rising power of feminine energies.

As powerful as the eclipse of 2017 and so near to its 1 year anniversary.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T all around to the love that was brought forth into the universal psyche.

BlueBelle, villager, Sophie and 5 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

I also felt the shift yesterday. Watching Megan McCain speak, I could feel the GOP leadership shifting uncomfortably in their seats wondering if The public reaction will cause a massive shift in the republican and independent voters against trump and  the current GOP.  

The rats will jump ship if they feel it going down. I feel there is a way to go before a sinking is imminent but I know that yesterday made them nervous.  

BlueBelle, Michele, BlueBelle and 1 people reacted
(@bright-opal)
Noble Member Contributor

Welcome to the forum Robin.  I'm glad you joined in the conversation. 

I feel that even in death, John McCain is working on uniting both parties to work together.  Wanting the leadership of both parties from the house and the senate to put a wreath together by the pall... That was powerful.  I hope the younger politicians and the new ones coming are learning from this amazing hero.

I think everyone is correct when feeling a wind of change.  Many hearts have opened up, some will close again.  But the future is yet to be written.  I think Sen McCain planted a seed in Obama Bush.  The movement will begin soon, I hope.    

BlueBelle, Michele, Robin and 3 people reacted
(@lovendures)

Expect Doug Ducey to appoint McCain's replacement shortly.  Under AZ law it must be a Republican.  

One intriguing dark horse which has been floated about is Barbara Barrett.  She is brilliant and has a long career of service to our country.  She is a former Ambassador, trained as an astronaut, has a long career involving aerospace and a recipient of numerous awards including the Office of the Secretary of Defense Medal for Exceptional Public Service.  

She would make an excellent choice as a senator.  I have heard her speak on numerous occasions and seen her in action.  She is respected by many liberals and could bridge the divide. I would seriously consider voting for her for public office if she were to run and I am not a Republican.  

I think she would make an excellent choice and hope Ducey appoints her.  

That being said I strongly dislike Ducey and and doubt he will appoint her, given his track record.  I have watched him in acton as Governor and rarely agree with anything he has done.  Trump has backed Ducey for Governor the November election and I am sure he is feeling pressure from Trump to appoint a "McTrump" to fill McCain's seat.  "McTrump" is the name the Arizona Republic has used.

What ever the case, I am hoping for a pick who will bring light and respect to the senate.  

BlueBelle and BlueBelle reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Postscript to all the McCain eulogies: I'm grateful to John McCain for reviving the idea of having some principles in a party that has gone off the deep end. And I'm grateful for  his daughter's eulogy, because it delivered a long needed insider shaming of Donald Trump.  

But that eulog goes  too far (in my opinion) in glorifying a  man who was a major advocate for war, a man who rallied  behind some of our country's shameful war initiatives. (Her admiration is understandable because she is his daughter, and his enthusiasm for war was understandable because he was raised in a high ranking military family.)  

Just so to keep some perspective here, you can see the Vietnamese perspective of John McCain's "heroism", in the academy award winning movie about Vietnam, Hearts and Minds. It was American bombers like John McCain who killed innocent Vietnamese, including many children.

I'm not trying to be negative, just keeping perspective. 

He was my  hero when he cast the single vote that saved Obamacare.  If more republicans were like him, Trump would not still be around.

But he never apologized for the Vietnam War. He was called a war hero because his plane was shot down  and he spent five years as a prisoner of war, showing great courage and endurance. But what was he doing when he was shot down?  He was bombing that beautiful country and it's good people. 

McCain stood up to Trump when few of his party would do that.  That is his heroism in my mind.  But he was a hawk who pushed  for the war in Iraq, and voted for Trump's  tax cut which was a income transfer to the rich.  

Here's more if you are interested in knowing another perspective of John McCain from Amy Goodman of Democracy Now

Robin and Robin reacted
(@paul-w)
Noble Member Registered

I have to (gently) push back a little on your post. I served in the Army from 1972 until 1975.  Those of us who served, both before and since, saw it as a responsibility of  citizenship.  Being the son and grandson of Navy admirals, the future senator McCain also felt the weight of generations of family tradition. I am also certain that McCain the pilot knew that someone would be flying that plane and bombing those targets whether he was there or not - just as I knew that someone would be in the turret of my tank if I had skipped out to Canada. Even when I disagreed with policy, I also felt it was unfair to ask someone to "take my place in the line" - it felt like I was shirking a responsibility.

It's worth noting that Senator McCain is remembered in Vietnam NOT as someone who bombed their country, but as someone who worked for reconciliation. I would suggest that was Senator McCain's work in this lifetime

LalaBella, Robin, Sophie and 5 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thanks, Paul. It warms my heart to think positive thoughts about McCain.  I appreciate your post. 

Michele, BlueBelle, Michele and 1 people reacted
Share: