Notifications
Clear all

Positive Discoveries and Innovation for Our Planet

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Lighter wine bottles don't effect the quality of the wine and are much healthier for our planet.

Glass bottles account for 29 percent ( some studies say 50%)  — the single biggest factor of wines carbon footprint.  

It also saves a lot in shipping costs. In some cases millions have been saved.

Wine companies are now shrinking their glass thickness to reduce their carbon.

Regenerative Organic and others require businesses (not just wineries) to measure their carbon footprint and take steps to reduce it. Many wine regions are encouraging or even requiring wineries to meet certain sustainability goals, including environmental stewardship. (About 80 percent of California wine is now made in a certified sustainable winery, according to the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance.)  

So, next time you want a bottle of wine, do a little bit of research and see which wine companies you want to support.  How you spend your dollars matter.  

Also, tell your friends WHY you are making these choices. As you educate yourself, you can educate others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2023/04/13/lighter-wine-bottles-better-for-environment/

Lauren, Vesta, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

Negative Carbon Concrete?

Yep!

I have never been excited about Carbon before but I am now.  haha

Good news! A viable formula for a carbon-negative, environmentally friendly concrete that is nearly as strong as regular concrete has been developed at Washington State University.

In a proof-of-concept work, the researchers infused regular cement with environmentally friendly biochar a type of charcoal made from organic waste, that had been strengthened beforehand with concrete wastewater.

The biochar was able to suck up to 23% of its weight in carbon dioxide from the air while still reaching a strength comparable to ordinary cement.

The research could significantly reduce carbon emissions of the concrete industry, which is one of the most energy- and carbon-intensive of all manufacturing industries. The work, led by doctoral student Zhipeng Li, is reported in the journal, Materials Letters.

https://phys.org/news/2023-04-carbon-negative-concrete.html

Lauren, Vesta, deetoo and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

A floating water filtration system appears to have a positive impact in lessoning algae booms in shallow lakes.  This is very important for viable clean water sources and restoration of our natural eco-systems, especially as our planet warms.

https://phys.org/news/2023-04-shallow-lake-algae-blooms-filtration.html

Lauren, Vesta, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@raincloud)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures 

Very good news! Thanks for posting.

Lauren, deetoo, CC21 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lovendures I love these posts. You are on a roll. They lifted my day and my hopes. There are people out there doing something to better our planet.

Lauren, deetoo, CC21 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@raincloud 

It is my belief that as our planet continues to get warmer, discovers such as these will create great impact in helping  us offset some of the negative effects of climate change.

Necessity is the mother of invention right?

I know many "seers" in our community have noticed technological discoveries may help mitigate some of the negative impacts we will face in our climate challenged future. 

It is my hope that as the collective continues to work on technological solutions, we will be able navigate over some major hurdles.  

Keep active hope everyone.  We must encourage all generations to work on innovative solutions because hope will move us forward

clara, Lauren, Vesta and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Topic starter  

@jeanne-mayell 

I guess I found how I'm honoring Earth Day!  Shine the light on the positive earth news and generate hope.  haha.

I absolutely believe we can create helpful solutions.  BUT, only if people believe we can. ( I sense a channeling of my inner Ted Lasso. haha.  Believe!!)

Part of "our" job will be inspiring others to bend (not break) and make positive impacts.

clara, Lauren, JourneyWithMe2 and 6 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

A few years ago, I had this sense that as climate change starts to ramp up, so too will innovation and activism. Then when it really ramps up, like in the 30's, humans will burst into action en masse.  

I've had visions of how it will progress.  Like a very steep hill we will need to climb. 

Climate change is exponential, meaning it is accelerating. But so too is the collective reaction to it.  We swing into action as a collective at a phenomenally rapid pace. 

I noticed these positive shifts in the last two Read the Future meditations. Our readers, (@CC21, @baba, @bluebelle, @teriz, @lovendures, @tonyaw, @Andrew, @Clara, @seaholly), @deetoo, @Emma @NJ, @lizzie, @howard, @Jude) saw so much innovation and positive lifestyle changes. 

I remember one prediction (maybe Andrew's) that we will feel happy because finally we will be pulling together as a collective. Andrew is quite accurate, and doesn't pull any punches when he sees unpleasant things. 

The other vision I get is a critical mass of the collective coming together the way they did during WWII, except we won't be fighting a war. We will be stepping up to a challenge. We will be respecting nature, finally. And finding ways to adjust to the new climate, while technology finds ways to protect the earth (like sustainable concrete that Lovendures posted above).

ghandigirl, Lauren, Vesta and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@clara)
Estimable Member Registered

I too feel we will pull together. The resistance of the groups of people holding on to old ways, is strong, but eventually we will do the right thing and adapt to natures needs. Thanks for your positive predictions. Very supportive in trying times.

deetoo, ghandigirl, Lauren and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: