Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] 2020 Election and the Transition

tbs
(@tbs)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @jeanne-mayell

@tbs. Thank you for your perspective. I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Your thoughts about Trump are widely held in this forum by Americans. 

In this last post, I think most would agree with what you've written here, except about the country being bankrupt. That is a sentiment that fuels the Right wing's constant rallying cry to shut down social programs. There is a great deal of wealth in this country and savings are high among the population and with a true government for the people, the debt will turn around. 

The opinions in this forum are close to what the majority of voting Americans feel about the current government. Europeans are shocked and we know that.  The country is falling in the eyes of the world and we know that. The country is losing power in the world and we know that. But we are a hard working people and we are turning it around.  

@jeanne-mayell thanks for this post, that gives hope ( not the village(s) ? ) to non-americans . I visited US a few times, and always met nice and interesting people. We have our own issues in Europe as well. But of course we look up to the big US, and currently you get worry. I really hope that Biden wins ( also I still think he ill sadly pass away during first term, and that is why it was so important to have a strong VP, which he has) , and that some republicans are waking up and force Trump to acknowledge to peacefully hand-over. I do not want to see a laughing Putin in the Kreml, because the US is in a (local) civil wars. Imaging that plus Covid , really scary.

Let us think positive and think about Biden and not worry about Trump. The only positive side from 4 years Trump is that Europe is getting stronger and a bit more united ( a bit) . Except UK, but that is another topic ? 

One more month, I cross my fingers. And I think Biden won the debate ( ok,it was not a debate) especially when he turned away from T  and spoke direct in the camera ...very good move.

With Biden in the US, and "Mutti" ( german word for mother) Merkel in Europe ( I really think she will go into a European role next year) we should be able to rebuild the relationships between both sides of the Atlantic, we need to .

And thanks for the very good post, it was also meant a bit to see if I get that kind of reaction, someone defending the US, sorry... needed to know if there is hope ( again not the villages(s))

Gr

Helge

ghandigirl, Grace, BlueBelle and 15 people reacted
(@moonbeam)
Illustrious Member Registered

@tbs, gosh I hope Mutti stays! I was devastated that she would quite German politics. We need people like her to strengthen the EU. Now more than ever!

Here's to hope! ❤️ ? 

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Isabelle and 9 people reacted
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

The Native American Vote continues to be suppressed.  After reading this article, you will never look at voting rights the same way.

It can take a herculean effort to vote if you live on Native American reservation land.  Many don't have a street address because they live in remote areas which don't have any names and get their mail at PO Boxes hours away from their homes. Therefore it is difficult to have Proof of ID with a physical address.    It is also difficult to travel great distances to vote in person.  These are just a few of the issues facing Native Americans and their right to vote.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/crsj/publications/human_rights_magazine_home/voting-rights/how-the-native-american-vote-continues-to-be-suppressed/

JourneyWithMe2, earthangel, Jeanne Mayell and 11 people reacted
(@polarberry)

Will Texas go blue? *Hope* springs eternal! 

Paul W, Grace, Jeanne Mayell and 17 people reacted
(@moonbeam)

@anetliner, missed your 'hello' post! Welcome;-)

Unk p, lenor, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
 fajm
(@fajm)
Estimable Member Registered

Right off the bat I'll say that I am not American and if I were, most likely I would be leaning towards the Democratic party because of what they stand for.

I have long considered Fox News to be heavily biased towards the conservative agenda and not balanced at all.

But I just finished watching this video and I was surprised to see the line of questioning of Fox's newscaster towards Hogan Gidley (Trump 2020 National Press Secretary).

She presses him increasingly in what is essentially an absolutely indefensible position - I do recognize that his answers are exactly what his job demands them to be - we all need to make a living - but the fact that even Fox is challenging these people, to me is a signal that this administration has completely lost the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgSv9k4E4EA

Has anyone else noticed a shift in Fox's attitude towards the President?

ghandigirl, BlueBelle, Share and 15 people reacted
(@lovendures)

Because we can all use some more Randy Rainbow in our lives.

Here is the latest. He also has a surprise Broadway musical guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AoY6RRfMZM

earthangel, Jeanne Mayell, fajm and 17 people reacted
(@parizienne)
Noble Member Registered

@jeannemayell

Bill Clinton is from Hope, AR, but so are Mike Huckabee and Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  My husband and I drove through Hope, AR once and passed his library. It was... interesting. I wish we could’ve gone inside, but it was closed because we were there very late at night. It was right on the highway up on a berm next to a grocery store or truck stop or something like that (if I am remembering it right). 

Share, Jeanne Mayell, lenor and 9 people reacted
(@jovesta)
Noble Member Registered

When I hear that Moscow Mitch hasn't gone to the White house in a while, it makes me wonder if he is hiding a sickness.  Also, AG Barr is mysteriously quiet.

lenor, Vesta, 2ndfdl and 13 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

My husband and I voted today. That's two votes for Biden/Harris and a vote for Ed Markey. Yay.  I dropped the ballots into a locked box outside the Town Hall so no issue around the U.S. mail.

P.S. Please everyone vote early if you can!  

fajm, JackofHearts, Georgia and 41 people reacted
(@earthangel)
Famed Member Registered

My husband and I filled out our ballots today for Biden/Harris and Markey, also. What a huge relief and exhale to be this close to the end of 45’s reign of terror. These last four years have been the test and trial of a lifetime. Who would have thought he’d be “the final straw?!” Yikes. I keep waiting for the proverbial veil to be lifted for the hangers-on. If only they could save themselves... my parents included. 

Georgia, Grace, Iridium and 21 people reacted
(@share)
Famed Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell I voted today too. Dropped off my ballot at city hall.  There’s a box outside so it was very easy.  Voted for Biden/Harris whoot whoot!

share the love and light 

Georgia, Grace, Iridium and 19 people reacted
(@tgraf66)

I got my ballot on Wednesday, and dropped it off on Thursday. One more for Biden/Harris. :-)

Georgia, Grace, Iridium and 23 people reacted
(@febbby23)

@jeanne-mayell my husband and I did too.  Plus we drove our college kids ballot to him, had him sign it and brought it home to the ballot box.   For our other college student we sent her ballot registered, traceable mail, complete with a pre paid return envelope so she could send it home.    We aren’t taking any chances.  That’s 4 votes for Biden / Harris.   Plus our older kids and their spouses are all voting the same.  Every vote counts.  Peace friends.  

Georgia, ghandigirl, Grace and 21 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Did anyone hear Bill Maher tonight explaining how the Republicans, with Trump, could stage a coups d'etat using the Electoral College even if Biden wins by a landslide? I would like to have an intelligent conversation about this scenario.  Because I have felt that this is what the Republicans are planning as a last ditch effort to stay in power. I have not had time to read all that @allyn has been posting so perhaps she has discussed this scenario.  

So the Republicans could declare the vote invalid in some key states due to a claim that there was double counting with mail in versus hand delivered ballots or that some trove of Republican ballots got lost. Then they would instruct their republican electors to vote for Trump causing a stalemate.   In a stalemate, each state gets one vote and there are 27 red states, so red would win.

I feel they will try this, have been planning it, and the big question is whether they will succeed in forcing it to either the Supreme Court or forcing a state by state vote. The Press should be discussing this, making sure it has been openly exposed well in advance, so all are prepared and it is prevented.

I am expecting a good outcome for the blues but I don't want to be blind to what they are planning.

tagging @coyote @vestralux @deetoo. @Lawrence @allyn @lovendures @bluebelle @baba

Georgia, ghandigirl, Aheartbegins and 17 people reacted
(@tgraf66)

@jeanne-mayell I'm no expert certainly, but the only way to really pre-empt something like that would be to ensure that the result is an undisputable landslide for blue.  There was also some discussions after the last election that several states were forming an "electoral coalition" in which every participating state would automatically give their electoral votes to the overall winner of the popular vote in the state, regardless of precinct/area results.  They were aiming to have a coalition whose votes would total the 270 needed for an electoral win, but I think at last count there were only 174 electoral votes included in the group.  However, 174 EC votes is a formidable number if they all went to one candidate.

VestraLux, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 19 people reacted
 tbs
(@tbs)
Noble Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell

Interesting thoughts, thanks for explaining how it could work. That the whole show is not over after the votes are counted is also something everyone expect. A coup , mmh, would that not end in a civil war? Even if they find enough loopholes to pull it through. I can imagine that all that voted for Biden will not be quiet , at least I would hope so. 

And it would take months, in which the country basically stands still, I really hope you scenario will not happen. 

There are not only the election of the President but also Senate ( I believe 33 or 35 are up) and House of Representative. If the Dems would win a majority as well in both of these , would that not lead to more chaos. I could imagine that the Dems would block everything that come to table, and we will see a lot of presidential degree´s ? 

It is a frightening scenario, but they must be up to something, they also see the Polls . I hope that the Republicans have enough people that will go against it. I know it is all about Power, but some of them must be humans , or not?

3 more weeks and a few days and we know more. 

Then we will have at least a few days of chaos, but hopefully not too long. And if I had stocks I would sell all before the 3rd and wait what happens. 

I cross fingers, all of them for the US...

Make America reliable again :-)

Gr

Helge 

ghandigirl, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 15 people reacted
 lynn
(@lynn)

@jeanne-mayell   Although I think he's smart and hilarious, I stopped watching Bill Maher about a year ago. His energy is too much to take. As for plans for a "coup", the GOP are desperate and probably plotting lots of stuff, and I think you're picking up on that. Will it work? This is just opinion, but I don't think so. I think this election is too far gone at this point. The fact that many GOP politicians are acting scared and desperate is a sign to me that they know their days are numbers. They're not acting like they think they may be able to pull anything off.

Someone on this site suggested reading Teri Kanefield's Twitter feed. I do that now daily and she helps me off the ledge. 

Lovendures, Vesta, VestraLux and 15 people reacted
(@allyn)

@jeanne-mayell

I understand your worry, but this situation is unlikely. 

First of all, if we follow the current projections (the way the race is now), Biden is predicted to win about 290 electoral votes.  Some of those states that are swing states have Democratic governors, and you know THEY won't invalidate their vote.

Two, as was mentioned, the majority of Americans will not accept such a result.  As scary as Trump supporters are, they are severely outnumbered.  By millions.  Remember how long BLM protests lasted?  Imagine that on a much, much larger scale.

Finally, Trump and the Republicans have attacked the intelligence community, the military, and the FBI for so long they made them enemies.  Don't you think they won't have something up their sleeves as well? 

But Democrats are hoping to discourage Trump so much that he resigns before the election or is so crazy that Biden will win by a landslide.    

fajm, Isabelle, 2ndfdl and 37 people reacted
(@bluebelle)

@lynnventura @jeanne-Mayell 

There is so much anxiety and fear in the collective right now.  I can feel it.  I’ve read a little bit about this Electoral College scheme and it’s disturbing.  We stopped watching Bill Maher a few months ago because of his negativity.  If these possible scenarios motivate people to vote, that’s a good thing, but no one should think voting is hopeless.  

My gut feeling is that the weeks after the election will be filled with chaos and turmoil and all types of Trumpian schemes to thwart the will of the people.  If the voter turnout is overwhelmingly blue and the numbers are so high they cannot be subverted, our republic will hold.  In meditation and through readings, I’ve only seen a Biden win and a blue Congress.  That hasn’t changed all year and the messages I receive from spirit support that.  My spirit guides tell me to trust my intuition. 

There’s every reason to vote and believe we can have a better government and a better future.  

Amyv, Isabelle, Parizienne and 37 people reacted
Page 9 / 86
Share: