Notifications
Clear all

Midterm elections

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

On Rachel Maddow's show tonight there was discussion on something that may be why our community here might be having a difficult time getting  true mid-term election results.   Apparently in California,      as long as you mail in your ballot on Election Day, your vote counts.  Some of these ballots will take a week or so to get to their destination, then they need to be counted. Experts feel it may be until sometime in December until all the votes are counted.  That is 53 congressional districts in California and 2 senate seats without official results, for weeks.    

So maybe we really need to set a date in December or perhaps the  January date congress is sworn in for a truer sense of  the results.  I know a few here used a swearing in date .  Maybe that should be revisited again.

Jeanne Mayell, VestraLux, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@michele-b)
Illustrious Member Registered

Representative Steve King, who has long expressed what many are now seeing was even being white nationalist leanings, finally facing rebuke if not outright condemnation. And from his own party.

Currently locked in the toughest reelection fight of his eighth term house career, he was rebuked in what else, a tweet, by Representative Steve Stivers of Ohio, the chairman of the national Republican Congressional committee.

This came just one week before the midterm elections but well after years of racially charged comments by Mr King.

He has criticized diversity, immigration, retreated a Nazi sympathizer, and backed far-right politicians including Faith Goldy the white nationalist Fringe candidate for Toronto mayor.

He faces Democratic Challenger J.D, Scholten Iowa's 4th District where the district voted for President Trump by 27 points in 2016.

Let's see this as a sign of light finally striking through the darkness of silence or denial.

ReplyQuote
(@tag22)
Prominent Member Registered

I also saw that Intel and Land of Lakes stated that they would no longer donate to Sen. King.  On another note, FedEx ended their relationship with the NRA!  Sorry, I don't have the links here to add.  It's getting a brighter!

Michele and Michele reacted
ReplyQuote
(@nwdoug)
Estimable Member Registered

Is the stock market being manipulated by Trump?

To obtain a better vision of the recent volatility in the market I’ve tuned into CNBC. I believe it was last Monday morning before the market opened I thought I heard the analysts talking about a request from Trump to not report the reason the market is falling so much is due to the large tax cuts given to the wealthy. I was so shocked I’m not sure I heard them right.

Last summer, July 15ththru September 15th, my wife and I were camping on our property we bought last year. We didn’t have access to the news on TV, no cable. We actually realized we were much happier without seeing or hearing the news. We are now in New Mexico helping my wife’s mother who is about to turn 89. Now there is no escaping the news. Previously, I would only get my news from TRMS. Now the news is in our faces and we can’t avoid it. I read the post about the market looking like a square root sign and believe it may be happening now. Just wondering why. Is it happening to help with the results of the midterms possibly?

ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Trump's deregulation of pretty much everything, along with the business tax cuts, created a surge in profits for big business. This surge caused the stock market to rise very fast. When the fed raised interest rates, people were pulling some of their money out of the market and getting a safer gain from higher rates. Now that the fed is continuing to raise rates it is causing some fall in the market now. Also, the midterm elections are creating fear(from investors) that if there is the blue wave as expected, there will be a halt on Trump's deregulation and possibly an introduction of new regulating legislature, depending on how the political scene turns out. Regulations cost big business money and lower their profits, thus lowering stock values. 

It is true that Trump did have a big impact on the surging market, but it was gained thru killing the planet and the middle class, so it really has no bearing on the current economics of the bottom 95%.

Tiger-n-Owl, NWDoug, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Agree.  Without understanding the reasons, I have felt that the market gains since Trump took office are like a cocaine high.  We all know what happens after a cocaine high. 

Durwood, Tiger-n-Owl, VestraLux and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@14mamajo)
Reputable Member Registered

I don’t know what happens, can’t imagine it’s good, the way the worlds going doesn’t help my depression one bit, but it’s out of everybody’s hands

ReplyQuote
(@tag22)

I am far from an expert on the stock market, so please chime in if I am off in what I think is happening.  Once upon a time in recent memory, pleasing companies' investors became the main focus.  If a CEO does not deliver profit or higher stocks for the investors, he is fired.  Also, to make it worse, these grossly overpaid CEOs also receive stock options.  So, companies stopped giving the workers pay raises as that makes their stocks drop and their bigwigs sad. Trump came in and gave them this huge tax cut claiming that it would trickle down to the middle class.  The companies took this windfall and bought back their own stocks, pushing already overpriced stocks higher.  Most never planned to raise wages as their stock would take a hit.  Equally frightening is the fact that these companies are carrying huge debt, yet did not use their tax cuts to pay down that debt. The middle class who fuel the economy is largely being left out.  So yes, I think Trump has been manipulating the stock market in a way, but so has big business before he was elected. Now we have tariffs added in just for fun. It is just a manner of time before this house of cards comes tumbling down.

Durwood, Codyroo, Tiger-n-Owl and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@paul-w)
Noble Member Registered

Corporate debt is a big concern because there is both a lot of it and interest rates are starting to rise making that debt more expensive. Just one of the many factors that could derail the economy.

TaG22 and TaG22 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tag22)

Darren,

Welcome! I think what we are going through is a good and necessary thing.  It is like childbirth.  We go through pain to bring new life into this world. So chin up.  We will get through this. 

ReplyQuote
(@14mamajo)

Hmm, I mean yeh, I mean it’s either Trump, Russia, Iran, all sorts of issues are building up, as well as my personal history it’s like they are all converging and just wants to kick me while I’m down, and I’m as low as I can get 

ReplyQuote
(@14mamajo)

Sorry for heading slightly off topic, the mid terms are probably causing it slightly, if Trump wasn’t president I wouldn’t really care much, but it’s quite bad as of late

ReplyQuote
(@tag22)

I am so sorry you are going through this.  We all have had our dark days since Trump came on the scene.  It is very overwhelming at times.  Please know we are in your corner.  I do know that hate is exhausting.  It is just not sustainable in the long run.  And I do believe we will come out of this as a better country. Don't give up. I find that eating healthy, meditating, and spending time in nature help me stay positive.  There are so many wonderful people in the world.  You will find a lot of them on this site. 

ReplyQuote
 lynn
(@lynn)

Welcome Darren.  For whatever it's worth, this site has been a a godsend to me during the past two years. I stumbled across it after the 2016 election when I was searching for anything in the blogosphere to help me feel better, and it has. It's a great group of supportive, positive people. You're in the right place. 

Tiger-n-Owl, NWDoug, RosieHeart and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vestralux)

Posted by: Jeanne Mayell

Without understanding the reasons, I have felt that the market gains since Trump took office are like a cocaine high.  We all know what happens after a cocaine high. 

Yeah... Dad's crashed out face-down on the couch, everybody has to whisper and tiptoe so he doesn't explode, and somehow all the grocery money disappeared up his nose. 

Marley and Marley reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vestralux)

That said: Hi, Darren!

The national living room has gotten a little volatile of late, but hey, we've all been through rocky times before. Glad you're here.  

Durwood, RosieHeart, Durwood and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rosieheart)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: Darren

Hmm, I mean yeh, I mean it’s either Trump, Russia, Iran, all sorts of issues are building up, as well as my personal history it’s like they are all converging and just wants to kick me while I’m down, and I’m as low as I can get 

Darren,

Welcome.  I'm so glad you've found us.  Speaking just for myself, Jeanne has created a home  here.  Every time I visit, I remember that the world is still filled with more love and kindness than darkness and evil, and that really does help when I start to feel overwhelmed.  I'll look forward to reading your contributions!

ReplyQuote
(@14mamajo)

Yeah I mean im more concerned about the Russia issue more than anything but that’s for another topic.

that said my depression started a 10 years ago but Elections and said issues are building up and yeh it’s tough

ReplyQuote
(@nwdoug)
Estimable Member Registered

Thank you everyone for being here. Before finding you being depressed seemed to be my only option. Now hope and gratitude are on my plate and depression is receding also. With the midterms less than a week away it seems there will be more depression to go around and keeping the light on will be more important than ever. Maybe what seems depressing at the moment will turn out to be positive and necessary for the future. Living a simpler life, living off the grid, not needing to work for large corporations just to get healthcare, and growing much of our own food to eat could be beneficial to our planet and our soles.

Durwood, Lovendures, RosieHeart and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pvcharlie)
Trusted Member Registered

So how does everyone feel going into the final weekend? Do you still believe there will be a blue wave? I'm getting nervous that with all the brazen voter suppression we've seen and dirty Russian tricks to influence or perhaps even outright hack the vote, we might not prevail. I really, REALLY hope I'm wrong.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 8
Share: