Jeanne Mayell Intuitive Wisdom Forum2022-03-27T22:45:03-04:00
Black Lives Matter

Notifications
Clear all

Black Lives Matter

(@yogagirl)
Famed Member Registered

Well more and more info is coming to light re the Taylor case.  Two things.  A member of the grand jury has urged a judge to release and review the info they We’re given.  He says it does not reconcile with what Cameron is saying.  Second, the judge who signed 5he warrant is now saying she feels she was mislead by the police.  The warrant was backed up by “evidence “ that packages addressed to Taylors ex drug dealer boyfriend were delivered to Taylor’s apartment.  Post office officials say no not true and they told the cops this was not so.  It seems the LMPD has been at odds with the post office for years (don’t know why, some dispute) .  Not surprised though, the LMPD doesn’t have the best reputation.  This isn’t over yet!

on another note, Mitch refuses to debate Amy if there is a female moderator!  The old fart is a pig!  Sorry can’t stand the man!

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, lenor and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)
Illustrious Member Registered

Does anyone have any insight to how bad the protests will be in Wauwatosa, WI today over Joseph Mensah? I have to take my twins very close to his home for a parental visit this afternoon and dont want to end up getting caught in a dangerous/shooting situation with them while I'm there. I have the option to cancel the visit for safety but if I do it unnecessarily, it will hurt us in court so I cant play it too safe.

I'm too close to the matter so I can't see or feel anything substantial right now. 

2ndfdl, Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@mas1581

I don't have anything that would help in that regard, sorry.   I am sending you, the twins and the whole family love and light energy and prayers that you will all be safe, protected and know that you are loved. May a host of angels watch over you through this adoption process and for all the years into the future as you all navigate all the wondrous paths that lie ahead. May this light help guide you,  especially today in making the best determination possible. 

Isn't it odd, to be living in a world now where you must plan your day according to potential riots?  I have had to do that too on a few occasions recently.  "Oh look, a Trump rally is happening down the street from my house, is it safe to go out?  To walk down the street?"  

I would guess there is more of that to come, at least for a while.

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@lovendures

We do that regularly. We live a few blocks from the air national guard base in Milwaukee. When Trump comes into Wisconsin our entire neighborhood is packed with cars for supporters and protesters and there's always a few fights

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, Lovendures and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Wow!  I found this article:   Why some in Prescott don’t feel welcome in ‘Everybody’s Hometown’ so important to read.  Chilling too.

I love traveling to Prescott it is a beautiful place with a lovely square, blue sky and lovely pine trees in the mountains.  A wonderful place to visit during the hot summer or for some snow during the winter.  and have been there many times, even for my birthday.  

This in-depth article from the AZ Republic has made me reconsider future visits.  I will put my economic spending in a place where residences are much more likely to support people of all races. 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2020/10/11/arizona-prescott-racial-divide-some-dont-feel-welcome/5686899002/

If you can't view at the above link, try this one.

http://arizonarepublic.az.newsmemory.com/?publink=1bb2fa055&fbclid=IwAR32oRS7LFV5774QQheuCYTl8bTej7u-NXcBUatcDu5MGTEZUhGyWs5YqJA

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, deetoo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)

@lovendures,

Wow.  That saddens me about Prescott.  My sister-in-law and husband retired there from the east coast about 10 years ago.  They are progressive Dems.  Over the years they've met like-minded people and have forged some good friendships, but I know it's sometimes challenging for them.  We haven't talked in about a month or more, so we never heard about this story.  

My husband and I visited them in late 2017.  I agree that Prescott is a very pretty town with terrific weather.  And clean air, of all things!  The people also seemed friendly.  I feel my best in a dry, cool climate, so you'd think we'd consider leaving humid Virginia and moving there.  Something about it, though, made me hesitate.  Too many people who looked like me, maybe?  I grew up in Baltimore City and now live in a culturally diverse, metropolitan area, so I thought maybe that was the reason.  Now I wonder if I was picking up on something that went far below that picture-perfect surface.

How very sad.

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, TriciaCT and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)

@lovendures. The attitudes about race and BLM in Prescott are shocking and frankly, disgusting.  Let them be ostracized.  

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, TriciaCT and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Those attitudes aren't shocking to me at all. Its like that all over the US. Its just more out in the open for white people to see now than it has been in 50 years. Ive been all over the country and have seen the reactions I get alone vs when I am with my wife(who is AA). Ive been ignored and refused service at a suburban Milwaukee bar when I was with a black friend. The same bar I got fantastic service at when I was with other white friends. Ive seen crosses burnt in my neighbors yard in suburban Chicago for being an interracial couple.

Its always been there, but when you are white you dont see it because you are accepted and its usually done in the shadows. Its not until you decide to conduct your normal activities alongside someone of color that you actually see what really is in the minds of people. 

raincloud, JourneyWithMe2, 2ndfdl and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@anita)
Noble Member Registered

@lovendures

My brother and sister in law lived in Prescott for about a dozen years. Now they’ve lived in Durango for about the same time. Small cities often have small minds or pockets of neighborhoods like that.

Prescott doesn’t have many non white people. It’s cute, but where there are cowboys, a lot of bars, and only a small college, there is a lot of racism. 
I have learned that there are a lot of rehab facilities there now, too. 

so if you are thinking of it as a place to move, it’s not really good if you want a more liberal town. It’s in Arizona. Flagstaff and Sedona are more liberal, I’ve heard, but Flagstaff gets very cold. And it does snow in Prescott as well....

A couple of months ago, people in Prescott went for the bs that “ANTIFA” was on their way there. So all these yahoos believed it, went downtown with their various forms of firearms.... Sorry that’s the truth...

Anita

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@saokymo  Been there and done that... I remember how cashiers would get frustrated with you as did the people in the lines behind you as the cashier had to match and either remove or keep an item. I remember applying for food stamps and getting 90.00 worth forth 60.00 ... and yes..that 30.00 helped so I had to swallow my pride and do it. A single mom, deadbeat dad not paying child support, no money to take back to court.  They are really pro-life aren't they? " You must have this baby even if it kills you and no, no one will care for it or help you care for it if you make it. Dad doesn't help? too bad.. you should have made better choices"

I quit as soon as I could too. It wasn't worth the hassle, the condescension, or the pity and judgement.

deetoo, Unk p, Share and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kerry)
Estimable Member Registered

Late to this conversation, but for those reflecting on rich Black men, this NYTimes study, "Extensive Data Shows Punishing Reach of Racism for Black Boys" is sobering. Follow the remarkable graphics for trajectories of rich Black boys compared to their white peers. We have a long way to go.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

deetoo, Jeanne Mayell, earthangel and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lovendures)

Today the angels truly are with us.  Fitting that on 2-22-22 ( Angel numbers and Jeanne pointed out in the Rooftop Lounge) the killers of Ahmaud Arbery have been found guilty of committing a hate crime.

From The Washington Post:

A federal jury has found three White men guilty of committing a hate crime and other violations when they chased and killed Ahmaud Arbery two years ago, determining they were motivated by racial animus because he was Black.
The trial focused on a history of racist and offensive statements from Gregory McMichael, 66, Travis McMichael, 36, and William “Roddie” Bryan, 52.

Tuesday’s conviction, after just a couple of hours of jury deliberation, represents a victory for the U.S. Department of Justice, which has vowed to more aggressively prosecute hate crimes, and for civil rights groups that have demanded greater accountability in racially motivated attacks against Blacks and other minorities.

“Tomorrow will be the two-year mark for when their son Ahmaud Arbery was lynched for jogging while Black,” Crump said. “These parents joined a fraternity that no parent wants to be a member of — and with such dignity. They stood up for Ahmaud to say that Ahmaud’s life mattered, that Ahmaud Arbery will never be forgotten.”

“It’s been a very long, stressful fight,” said Cooper-Jones, wearing a blue dress and dark sunglasses. “As a mom, I will never heal.”

May his memory be a blessing.

FEBbby23, deetoo, lenor and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@lovendures I danced a jig of Joy when I heard that! That area of Georgia " down below the gnat line" (Macon,Ga is the gnat line) has long been racist and racial hate crimes abound. I hope this begins the change from looking the other way to holding them accountable. I feel good knowing we ARE making the changes... we ARE making a difference.

FEBbby23, deetoo, Vesta and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

I’m not celebrating the fact that Arbery’s killers were convicted of a hate crime. To do so would be to justify hate crimes. Today is a solemn day. Ahmaud Arbery should still be alive.

MtGal99, Lauren, FEBbby23 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@journeywithme2 @coyote. I hear both of you on this issue. It is heartening that the federal government has stepped in and I am glad if it means there is change.  It is horrible what happened.

Vesta, Lauren, FEBbby23 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jaidy)
Noble Member Registered

@coyote I lived in nyc when Eric garner was killed and then moved to St. Paul right after philando Castile died and still live here. What is worth celebrating is that 5 years ago cops and anyone like George Zimmerman could take the lives of black folks with impunity- without legal consequences. None of these lives should have been taken but I celebrate the fact that Derek chauvin didn’t get away with it and neither will these killers. That is the BLM movement effecting change- I’m thankful for the sacrifice and the hard work of standing up to power that anyone who has joined the movement. This work is slow, it is full of blowback and it is needed. Without BLM I don’t see these trials having these outcomes.

Coyote, lenor, matildagirl and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@coyote  Saying to you ever so lovingly and gently.....and I honor and respect your opinion and your feelings. I beg to differ....The first step in Healing is to acknowledge that there is a problem and the diagnosis is all important in creating an environment for Healing and making the needed changes. In my eyes? Having grown up and seeing it in action and seeing a blind eye turned and others get away with it because of being white and male? Is to say "no more denial...this was a crime committed against someone solely because of the color of their skin, their ethnicity, their belief, their gender, their orientation ". Until eyes are opened? to acknowledge that? There can be no true Healing, it has been swept under the rug for far too long. We can not, I will not, turn my eyes from it and will call it what it is. There is no Healing without Accountability.  Yes.... Ahmaud SHOULD be alive today. He is not. Those that hunted him down? Did so purely because of his skin color and because they felt they had a right to.There is STILL a lot of that in Georgia...especially in rural farming country. Read some of Jimmy Carter's experiences to get a true glimpse of what it was like... and... still is.

LalaBella, Lauren, Lovendures and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

@coyote I agree with you

WHen I heard the news I felt relief that the jury had made the decision validating the rights and value of Black persons' lives , and condemning the actions of those who do not value those rights.  It would have been an abomination had they judged otherwise. 

But I did not feel celebratory.  The whole thing is a tragedy for all involved.  For Mr. Arbery, his family and friends of course... but even for the perpetrators of the crime.  Why did they have to be so hateful?   That they were hateful is a tragedy in itself, even if they had never followed through with the crime in the first place.  I am sad for their damaged souls.

Lauren, JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:
Go to Top