Notifications
Clear all

The Vaccine - Many issues to discuss

(@yofisofi)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @mas1581

If any of my answers are redundant or come off as arrogant, I apologize. I am just trying to make sure I take the info in my head that has become second nature to me, and put it a way that everyone can understand without coming across as a know it all. 

I really appreciate that, thanks! Sounds like the severity of side effects in response to the vaccine might be an indicator of how severe actual covid19 illness would have been for a person. Of course, unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to test this hypothesis though...

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)
Illustrious Member Registered

@mas1581 No apology needed. Expertise is not arrogance, and redundancy is often necessary to make sure people understand.  :-)  Thank you for all of the information.

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, Maggieci and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@yofisofi

It wouldn't show the most extreme cases, because it won't do enough damage to invoke a cytokine storm but the thought that it could show patients a basic idea of how sick they couldve gotten has crossed my mind many times. I just never stated it because I have 0 evidence whatsoever to back it up. 

@tgraf66

Thank you. Good to know and you're welcome. ?

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, lenor and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@mas1581

Thank you Mas! Your detailed posts are very much appreciated, and you put it in layman's terms also ....

(And all this time we thought you were a plumber ...?)

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, Unk p and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@stargazer

If you knew what I did for a living, you'd be impressed with a plumber. Lol

My degree is in microbiology but I also played football in college. That led to a bad back injury(tore my lat clean off my spine) that forced me to rehab and pretty much teach myself how to walk again instead of going to grad school right after undergrad. Like the genius I am(not!), I decided to expand on my side hustle I'd been doing since I was 8-selling baseball cards and sports memorabilia. Between that and the contacts I picked up in college, I started a sports management company which both sells autographs/memorabilia and books athletes into autograph signing sessions. Ive been doing that for the past 20 years until the covid recession killed the business for me. I was going to go back and get a "real job" when I got married but when my wife got pregnant sooner than expected(our daughter is a honeymoon baby), we decided that sticking with this could allow me to be a stay at home parent too and the money difference was less than we'd spend for daycare. When she went into full day school, we started fostering and I've had infants and toddlers running around the house ever since.

Now that youre in the know, a plumber is much flashier than out of work baseball card dealer isn't it? Lol

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, Maggieci and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)

@mas1581

O-mg, you need a vacation, Mas! Try to visualize a nice Carib getaway (w/ no hurricanes) on a beautiful pink sand beach, you and your sweetheart sipping a nice cooler and chillin'.... no small kids in sight ?

Peace my friend .....

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@stargazer

Heck no!! The last time we did that we got a kid from it. Lmao.

Does sound nice though

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, lenor and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@mas1581

Your answers are much appreciated!

Btw, based upon your previous remarks, do you think one's past severe reaction to the Shingrix vaccine shows a glimpse as to how likely one would have been to have gotten Shingles w/o the vaccine and how severe it would have been?  What does the severity of a response to a vaccine imply?  If an individual has a severe reaction to the Covid vaccine, for example, can that person assume they would have had a severe reaction to actually getting Covid?  I've known numerous family members & friends who had a relatively minor reaction to Shingrix, whereas for me, I had a severe reaction.  Kinda nervous now to take the  Covid vaccine (although, of course, I will...) since I am triple risk.  Am afraid I will become terribly sick.  Any thoughts?

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Posted by: @isabelle

@mas1581

Your answers are much appreciated!

Btw, based upon your previous remarks, do you think one's past severe reaction to the Shingrix vaccine shows a glimpse as to how likely one would have been to have gotten Shingles w/o the vaccine and how severe it would have been? 

I do not. The severity of shingle isn't related to your immune system as covid is showing to be. The worst covid infections are caused by the patient's immune system overreacting. Its not the case with shingles.

What does the severity of a response to a vaccine imply? 

Usually nothing in relation to the severity of the disease itself. Covid, again, produces most of its damage by causing your immune system to attack your own body in a reaction that is way overboard, so it is different than pretty much anything else out there at this time

If an individual has a severe reaction to the Covid vaccine, for example, can that person assume they would have had a severe reaction to actually getting Covid? 

Specific to covid, that assumption has the chance to be accurate. I cant come close to saying yes or no with any amount of certainty, but if that were the case it would not surprise me at all. It all depends on which genes in the rna strand are causing the immunological "malfunction" that leads to the most severe cytokine storm reactions.

I've known numerous family members & friends who had a relatively minor reaction to Shingrix, whereas for me, I had a severe reaction. 

Genetics are usually the determining factor, but with the insane number of genes that go into an immune system along with the fact that they are changed with every offspring, heredity is something to take note of but won't be a true judge of it. 

Kinda nervous now to take the  Covid vaccine (although, of course, I will...) since I am triple risk.  Am afraid I will become terribly sick.  Any thoughts?

The worst reactions that have been seen thusfar are equivalent to a really bad 48 hour flu-fever, chills, muscle aches, headache, etc. Unless new reactions are seen when its distributed publically, thats as bad as you have to worry about. I assume if hospitalizations start to occur with the vaccine, the plug will be pulled pretty quickly and it will be months before the average person gets a chance to get one so we will see a lot more in terms of results before then. Just realize that you feeling sick isn't caused by covid, but your immune systems responding to it, so the threat of pneumonia, ventilators, strokes and other severe symptoms isn't there because its not a full virus.

As of now,, I would prepare to be laid up for 2 days as a worst case scenario but wouldn't worry about anything more unless your reaction to Shingrix was an allergic reaction. If it was an allergic reaction instead of an immune reaction, I would discuss it with your doctor in depth before taking it.

Jeanne Mayell, PamP, Isabelle and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@mas1581

Many thanks for this information!  Your insight and knowledge provided on this site is so helpful to many of us ... helps us to understand (in simpler terms) the gist of some pretty complex immunological mechanisms... much appreciated!

Jeanne Mayell, Maggieci, Unk p and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Glad to help

ReplyQuote
(@melmystery)
Noble Member Registered

@jewels A friend of mine once pointed out that most people lead such ordinary and mundane lives that there is no real or valid reason that the government would want or need to spy on them or track them.   Unless you committed a major crime (or are conspiring to commit one), are behind on your taxes, or are perceived as a threat to the government, you're really no more special than 331 million other people in the U.S. 

That said, corporations looking for marketing data they can use to sell their products are a totally different story. ;-)

Jeanne Mayell, 2ndfdl, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jujubeans7050)
Reputable Member Registered

@isabelle The reaction you had to the SHINGRIX shots is very similar to my Sister's. She took the second one as well, but both shots knocked her out for three days. I had no similar reactions to the Shingrix shots, so it's apparently different for everyone.

I agree with you that if folks see others having bad reactions to the COVID vaccines they may opt out. However, my Sister recovered and plans on taking the COVID vaccines when they come out. Better to look at the larger perspective of higher immunity in my humble opinion.

Jeanne Mayell, Amyv, Isabelle and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@jujubeans7050

You are so right...thank you for responding.  It's so interesting that for some, a specific vaccine has virtually no side effects and yet, for others, it can be really severe.  But you are  100% right:  better to suffer a few days and gain that vital needed immunity!  

Jeanne Mayell, Amyv, lenor and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jujubeans7050)
Reputable Member Registered

@isabelle My Sister has Hepatitis C, so I'm sure this is a factor in why she had such a severe reaction. Of course, her Husband suggested that she take the flu shot at the same time as the second dose of the SHINGRIX. NOT a good idea!!!

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Isabelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Famed Member Registered

@jujubeans7050

OMG, she took BOTH vaccines simultaneously?  Not a good idea.  Hopefully she'll realize this in the future and just take one at a time.  Very glad she is back on her feet and fully recovered...these side effects (if one is not given the heads up to expect them) can be scary... 

Jeanne Mayell, Iridium, lenor and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ana)

This may be informative--  It's an excerpt from an article that describes some vaccine trial volunteers' experiences with side effects:

"The actual injection felt, at first, just like a flu shot, which is basically just a little pinch in the side of your arm," Batalvi said. "Once I left the hospital, that evening, the stiffness got a little bit worse. It was definitely manageable, but you kind of don't really feel like moving your arm too far above your shoulder. But the side effects are pretty localized. I mean, it's just in the muscle in your arm. And that's about it. It doesn't really affect anything else and you feel fine."
That was after the first dose. But the second dose was different.
"I actually had some pretty significant symptoms after I got the second dose. Once I got the second dose, I was fine while I was in the hospital. But that evening was rough. I mean, I developed a low-grade fever, and fatigue and chills," Batalvi said. He said he was out for that day and evening, but he "felt ready to go by the next morning."
He said he called the study doctors to let them know about his symptoms. They weren't alarmed and told him he shouldn't be either.
Feeling under the weather does not mean that you got Covid-19 from the vaccine -- in fact, experts say having this kind of reaction shows that your body is responding the way it should, and it should not deter anyone from getting vaccinated or going back for their second dose.
"That means your immune response is working for you. You should feel good about that," said vaccine expert Dr. Paul Offit of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "And [there] shouldn't really be any difficulty coming back for that second shot, knowing that you're now in a much better position to fight off this awful virus, which has killed more than 250,000 people and can cause a lot of long term effects."
Infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci told Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg the same thing on Monday.
"What the body is telling you by that response is that it's responding well to the injection," he said.
"When you get an injection of the vaccine, you induce a response. In some people, they don't feel anything," he said. "Others feel an ache in the arm. Some may feel an ache in the arm and kind of a little chilly feeling, almost like you have a flu-like syndrome, and in a minority of people, they get a fever."
Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said "almost all of this goes away within 24 or at the most, 48 hours" and added that it's important to be honest with people about the side effects they may experience.
Operation Warp Speed Chief Scientific Adviser Moncef Slaoui said Monday that approximately 10 to 15% of immunized study subjects will develop "quite noticeable side effects."
"Most people will have much less noticeable side effects. That frankly -- in comparison to a 95% protection against an infection that can be deadly or significantly debilitating -- I think is an appropriate balance," he said.

The full article is here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/health/coronavirus-vaccine-volunteer-side-effects/index.html

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Maggieci and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

The Trump administration had a chance to buy more vaccines from Pfizer late this summer and did not. So they might not be able to produce more vaccines until June 2021.

Great going again you failed the US. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/live-updates/coronavirus/?id=74578775&cid=social_fb_abcn&fbclid=IwAR1Xde2FC9nohMspX0I-gvvIV_xCXL4oAYthul17RtTdWBot3GwC5btxlzc#74592650

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Isabelle and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@jessi1978

Honestly, I think is more sensationalism than substance.

100M doses is enough for 1/3 of the population to get the 1st injection and if you combine that with the people who have had it(known or not) and don't need the vaccine, you are reaching probably half the population if not slightly more. Also, children should be last on the list to get it because of the extremely low risk of severe cases. With the logistics and tiered administration of getting the vaccine into arms, even if they had 300M doses ordered, they probably wouldn't get thru 100M of those by June anyway. You will also have Moderna's vaccine in the same amount alongside Pfizer's so it really won't have any noticeable real world affect. 

As much as I love to rag on Trump, I dont think this was necessarily that significant a move. It also will allow other countries to get the vaccine easier because Trump just signed the EO today to make "America first" in distribution of it. It actually will be better for the world that he did pass on it, even though I'm sure it was not intended.

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Maggieci and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

Posted by: @mas1581

if you combine that with the people who have had it(known or not) and don't need the vaccine,

But do we really know they don't need it?  By all accounts, there's no evidence that immunity from having it lasts more than a couple of months, and there have been many cases of re-infection after recovery.

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, 2ndfdl and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 25
Share: