Notifications
Clear all

Recipes & Food that make you happy

(@polarberry)
Illustrious Member Registered

@ghandigirl

Do tell! What do you make?

lenor, lmao! I'd love to try that with my husband but we'd eat hot dogs and chicken nuggets every night for the rest of our lives.

Unk p and Unk p reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry Spoonbread was not a thing with my family. Cornbread,Johnny Cake,Hoecake and Biscuits were our thing.   The Southern Lady Cooks. (actually Paula Deen) has a recipe that friends swear by: https://thesouthernladycooks.com/?s=spoonbread

I also follow a lady named Brenda Gantt on Facebook.  She has become a phenomenon on Facebook during the Pandemic and teaches our old Southern recipes to folks via videos. She is quite personable and the recipes are authentic. 

lowtide, polarberry, lowtide and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Thanks!!

I will be making the southern lady spoonbread recipe tonight. It looks good. The last recipe I used was too salty. I love spoonbread. I don't make it often anymore because I really can eat an entire pan myself, slathered with butter. Yikes.

I'm sure you know cornbread sometimes was called journeycake! ? 

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry  I am sure it will be delicious! And yes I know about "journey cake" ? if you are at all interested White Lily flour and White Lily Buttermilk cornbread mix are my standard go to for my biscuits and cornbread. If not sold in your area you can order online from Walmart at a reasonable price. Some order from Amazon ..and its sold by 3rd party sellers so the price there is outrageous.

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Do you always make your own biscuits?  That's another thing I have tried countless recipes for and have never found one I love. Frozen biscuits are awful!

Right now I have Bob's Red Mill organic corn grits, and The Saco Pantry cultured buttermilk blend. I am forever buying buttermilk for this recipe and that one, and never getting around to making it before it goes bad, so I gave up and bought the powder. I can make just the amount I need without waste.

So here's one of my dark secrets. Occasionally I will buy a small thing of buttermilk and stir chocolate syrup into it. Chocolate buttermilk is soooo good!

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry   I have been making biscuits since I was 8 years old. I can mix and make them about as fast as most folks can open a can of Whomp um biscuits. ( Jerry Clower skit) Now that I am not cooking for a family of 7 I mix a batch and freeze or just make a small 3-4  biscuit panful. Watch those Brenda Gantt recipes... I know you'll love them! Check out chocolate gravy recipe ;-) I guarantee you'll like that one if you like chocolate buttermilk.? I love to take a slice of cold cornbread and crumble it in a glass and pour cold buttermilk over it and eat it with a spoon. Some Vidalia onion and home grown sliced tomato in the summertime on a side plate, like my grandparents and daddy did. Good eating!  I always use White Lily unbleached no aluminum self rising flour. White Lily is made from soft winter wheat and it really makes the lightest,fluffiest biscuits. I actually use LouAnna coconut oil and my homemade whole milk kefir in the place of the Crisco and buttermilk called for in many old biscuit recipes. They turn out just as great. I do still use bacon grease for my cornbread though.

BlueBelle, polarberry, BlueBelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

Is White Lily a popular southern brand? My flour of choice is King Arthur. I get good results with it.

I'm not a huge tomato person, but I do grow them because my daughter loves them. So did my mother. She would eat them right off the vine and complain that store-bought had no flavor. I like the little yellow cherry tomatoes, and the Roma variety for salads and cooking.

It's funny how many people have forgotten, or don't know, how good things like biscuits are when they're homemade. I'll be the first to admit there's times I don't want to cook, or resort to store-bought when I'm tired or whatever, but there's just no substitute.

I can't eat store-bought frosting; it is so nasty. Homemade buttercream doesn't take long, especially with an electric mixer, and it is to die for.

Can you share your biscuit recipe or is it a journey family secret? ? 

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

PS I don't know how I feel about the cornbread in a glass with buttermilk. ? 

ReplyQuote
(@tgraf66)

@polarberry I know exactly how I feel about it: ? 

BlueBelle, Unk p, polarberry and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@theungamer)
Famed Member Registered

@polarberry & @journeywithme2 you got my attention with "bacon grease" and "slathered with butter".  hmmmmmmmmm

ghandigirl, polarberry, JourneyWithMe2 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry   No ... no family secret LOL   Thing is? I have made them so long I don't even measure anymore... so I eyeball the amount the amount of White Lily self rising flour... blend in my butter or crisco or lard or coconut oil ( about the size of a medium chicken egg) and pour in the buttermilk or kefir ... blend well and pinch a bit off and shape it with my hand and put on my cast iron round griddle pan and put in a 450 oven and cook about 12-15 minutes until brown. I use King Arthur flour for making my bread.... it doesn't do good fluffy biscuits like White Lily cause its made from hard red winter wheat ( which makes great sourdough) White Lily is soft winter wheat... you can start with the recipe on the back of their bag... or watch Brenda Gantt method on her Facebook page. I always do home made from scratch... unless I am going out to eat. That's how I was raised and at 65 not gonna change it now  lol. I just made homemade chocolate buttercream for the chocolate cake I made for dessert tonight.

BlueBelle, polarberry, BlueBelle and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@tgraf66????

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry  try it you might like it!

ReplyQuote
(@honeybee)
Reputable Member Registered

@journeywithme2. I follow Brenda Gantt too. I love her stuff. I have tried her biscuit bowl method. They turned out really good. I agree that White Lily is the way to go, and I prefer to use butter and buttermilk. I also add a couple of tablespoons of local honey to my biscuit dough. I heat my oven to 500 and use a cast iron skillet. 

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@honeybee  I love how she shares the good home cooked food I grew up on and make myself. She's a great teacher!

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@theungamer

Butter Bacon Grease Sandwich

Take two slices cheap white bread. Slather one piece with butter. Saturate other piece with bacon grease (preferably warm, but cold works also) Place together and slice off crusts.

Enjoy with ice cold glass of chocolate buttermilk.

ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@journeywithme2

I watched her Hamburger steak with gravy video tonight. She is adorable and funny. The recipe looked great until the hamburger steaks went in to the simmering pool of gravy. And canned peas? No thanks! ?  I cracked up. They were gray.

It's a childhood thing. My mother did not come from a gravy-eating family. Her mom hated it, she hated it, and I guess I grew up thinking it wasn't something you needed on food. We even had many a Thanksgiving without gravy. Even now if I serve gravy, hardly anybody eats any. The canned pea thing is a childhood trauma as well. My dad ate them, boiled until they were double-dead. He did love real butter. Ate it like a Snickers bar. 

White Lily self-rising it is. I will have to order it as our stores don't carry it. Maybe that's why my biscuits aren't southern light and fluffy; wrong brand of flour.

Got some leftover chocolate buttercream in the fridge that's going in between sugar cookies tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
(@journeywithme2)

@polarberry  yeah I don't eat canned peas ... also a childhood trauma ?. Those Green Giant Lesuer peas. ? Now canned black-eyed peas or field peas? By Allens? Are good! I come from gravy eating folks.. Appalachian mountain folk descent..we'd eat everything but the squeal from our hogs. Gravy helped stretch a meal to fill bellies.. little bit of meat lots of biscuits n gravy. Order from Walmart ... they have best prices if you have to do that. Check out White Lily Community Page too. You'll see a wide variety of people inspired to take up biscuit making and share their methods. How did your spoonbread turn out?

ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

@polarberry Is this butter bacon grease sandwich for real? And chocolate buttermilk?  YUCK! 

Eat that and there is not enough statins in the world to lower your cholesterol!

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, JourneyWithMe2 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@polarberry)

@lenor

lol, no, I was just being a smart-A in response to Ungamer's funny comment about having him at bacon grease.  I thought of it because my dad grew up poor and I guess a special treat for him was a slice of bread spread thick with oleo and sprinkled with sugar. My mom said oleo was disgusting.

Now the chocolate buttermilk thing is real. Tastes like drinkable chocolate yogurt, which I loved as a kid. You used to be able to buy chocolate flavor in the little 8 oz cups, but I haven't seen it for years.

ghandigirl, JourneyWithMe2, theungamer and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 14
Share: