Notifications
Clear all

Forum Confessional Booth ?

(@jackofhearts)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @stargazer

Bobby Dylan right now! He has purportedly sold out finally & completely his 600 song repertoire for gahmillions... yes, all songs and all rights.

I am hopeful he's opting to do something incredible.   Since I have a pet project, the education of women in the developing/third/indigenous worlds, what he sold his songs for amounts to 24 million days of education. 133,000 years, or just over 11,000 people getting an education who otherwise would not. 

Miss Tom Petty as well - he's the concert act I always wanted to see and didn't.  My go-to song for most of the pandemic to just kind of feel-good has been Wildflowers. Learning my lesson, we went and saw Elton John when he came through recently.

Unk p, Iridium, Coyote and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Illustrious Member Registered
Topic starter  

@jackofhearts

That wonderful work that you do with education regarding disadvantaged women is really commendable, and it would be fantastic if more conscientious people with the advantages would contribute!

Dylan however, appears to be pretty self-absorbed these days and is preparing to exit stage- left most probably. He undoubtedly is making an effort to leave his heirs an entanglement -free inheritance, unlike Tom Petty whose sudden passing left his estate in a total squabble with his wife and daughters. The joys of being a multi-millionaire ?

It's the end of an era ... though we can look forward to a new one just beginning ?

And Tom Petty's music is still so cool ...

teriz, Unk p, JackofHearts and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

Since we're talking about Bob Dylan, I have a confession to make: I'm not enthused that he was awarded the Nobel Prize in literature 4 years ago. I associate his win with the other upset of fall 2016.  

And here's an encore from PostSecrets:

• "When I get out of bed, my hair makes me look like Bob Dylan. I wish I had the guts to wear it that way."

@jackofhearts

That's some freaky sh*t.

teriz, FEBbby23, ghandigirl and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

@coyote

Music lyrics are poetry and his lyrics were very influential in the US from the 60s on. I do think there were a few other poets more deserving,, but none were more influential to a widespread audience. Plus Toni Morrison won it so why not Dylan? Reading Morrison is the paper and ink version of nails on a chalkboard. Lol 

teriz, FEBbby23, Vesta and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bluebelle)
Illustrious Member Moderator

@jackofhearts

When I read about this startling experience with your very young daughter, the first thing that crossed my mind was that your daughter was referencing a past life.  Have you read "Return to Life:  Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives" by Dr. Jim Tucker of the University of Virginia?  He describes various case histories of children remembering past lives and then discusses how quantum theory provides insights into the ultimate nature of reality.  Something to ponder.

teriz, FEBbby23, Unk p and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Topic starter  

@coyote

O (sighs)... to say that Bob Dylan is the iconic poetical genius that he is, the Bard of the decades that he represents, and our erstwhile hero, is a true understatement.

It's no surprise that he didn't show at the Nobel Awards ceremony and opted to send a friend (Patti) instead to represent him .... he has almost all of his natal planets in the 12th house. He is an extremely private and eccentric soul, and perhaps never felt comfortable with the mantle of Fame.

As for his...hair? Let's just say that is nuthin' compared to many of the high profile hipsters of the day ?

FEBbby23, Unk p, Jeanne Mayell and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jackofhearts)
Noble Member Registered

@bluebelle

I have not, I will look for it. Thank you. ? 

BlueBelle and BlueBelle reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote)

@mas1581 @stargazer

I was at first excited by Dylan's win for its novelty and the fact that the dry spell of Americans being awarded the Nobel Prize in literature had been broken. But after the election, I ended up associating those shocking returns with the Swedish Academy's idiosyncratic decision, and I don't think that will change. Things might be different if I had been born earlier or had grown up listening to Dylan's music.

Also, I love Toni Morrison, and thought she was the most powerful living American novelist before she passed away. But then again, this is a confessional booth, so what I think may not be in line...

FEBbby23, Stargazer, FEBbby23 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

My Toni Morrison crack was more joke/opinion than anything. Even though I dont care for her work at all, she was influential and deserving of the award. 

I was born in 78 so I missed most of Dylan's run as well. I like his music and lyrics, but aside from that, I see the lasting effect it has had on the world. Case in point, we are sitting here in 2020, 50 years after his peak and still discussing his legacy. Added to that, his legacy is solely his lyrics/words, not his musical ability. That fact alone qualifies him in my mind. 

All that said, Dylan's win might have been associated with those elections as a rebuke to them. Dylan's legacy was fighting the same type of politicians who won regularly in 2016 and this could very well have been a small slap in the face to the times a'changin. ?

FEBbby23, Vesta, Stargazer and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Topic starter  

@coyote

This just a suggestion, but if you can, check out some of Dylan's earlier work, Coyote... there's a plethora of stuff on YT to peruse :

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan album ...

The Bootleg Series /Vol.4 ~Bob Dylan Live 1966 from the (London) Royal Albert Hall concert is one of my favorites... when he switched from his usual acoustic to electric guitar, it really made people crazy and he almost got booed off the stage. 

'Masters of War' is one song that's still resonating today, even though it's been how many years now ...??

There's a famous clip of John Lennon razzing Bob in a London taxi that's really funny ... I think it might be on YT.

Ok, forgiveness is yours, and just say ten Hail Dylans, later ?

FEBbby23, Unk p, Coyote and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lowtide)

Dylan has always had his finger in the wind, an intuitiveness and ability to capture the zeitgeist of the times. I think he is a prophet in our time. 

Maybe worldwide recognition of his contributions is a sign of progress towards the enlightenment that we seek here. 

https://medium.com/driftwood-chronicle/dylan-a-different-kind-of-penetrating-magic-54e29f8fa3d1

FEBbby23, Unk p, BlueBelle and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@stargazer)
Topic starter  

@lowtide

That is a wonderful post!! ?

And I almost forgot one of my 'other' favorites ~ 'Forever Young'.... dedicated to you Coyote !

(I won't print all the lyrics because you have to listen to it)

FEBbby23, Vesta, lowtide and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Also Coyote, if you like hip hip/rap, listen to Subterranean Homesick Blues. It is basically the first rap song recorded long before rap was a thing. 

Maggie's Farm is a classic too and I was shocked to find out that he owned rights to The Weight as well, which is one of my all time favorite songs. 

FEBbby23, deetoo, Stargazer and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mas1581)

Ok I have to confess. I'm confessing nothing but wanted to bump this thread because it was touch fun to let get lost on the forum. Election is over, we don't have a king, Fred Flintstone is out of the DOJ, vaccine is starting to be distributed, all is great. Now start confessing your sins-the funnier the better

deetoo, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unk-p)

@mas1581 ok, I'll bite:

I think MSG tastes great!

FEBbby23, deetoo, Stargazer and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lenor)

I washed my husband’s wool sweater in the wash (this happened many, many years ago) and I told him it shrunk from being stored in an upstairs closet which was too hot.  He believed me because I told him heat makes wool shrink.

BTW, I tell him that he is married to me to learn patience. And that I am married to him to learn long-suffering and got that down pat. (We’re high school sweethearts and have been together 51 years )

Coyote, deetoo, ghandigirl and 19 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lenor I nominate your confession as giving me the most laughs. 

deetoo, FEBbby23, Unk p and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

I have a confession but I can't say it. Even my husband doesn't know this. I will wait and think about it. You will think it is funny, but it is dead serious for me. 

Unk p, GradualGoddess, deetoo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ghandigirl)

My confession is that my public persona is not nearly as salty as my actual persona. I'm not as much of a Pollyanna as most who think they know me, think. 

Unk p, FEBbby23, Coyote and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@deetoo)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Posted by @ghandigirl:

My confession is that my public persona is not nearly as salty as my actual persona. I'm not as much of a Pollyanna as most who think they know me, think. 

@ghandigirl, you and me both, sister.  No wonder we've always connected!

Unk p, FEBbby23, ghandigirl and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: