Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Atlantic Hurricane Season

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Nicholas is now a hurricane with 75 mph winds.

Thinking of our friends in in Houston and Galveston tonight with the big rain expected from Nicholas.   It is now expected to really slow down which is not good.  Many areas where Ida landed are also going to get hit again in the same LA area.

Thinking of you @unk-p, @jsr78 and anyone else in the path of this storm.  I know there are others but am drawing a blank.  Please let us know how you are doing.

deetoo, Unk p, Jeanne Mayell and 15 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

@jeanne-mayell The Bitter Southerner has some excellent articles all of the time.. but this am's newsletter had one of particular interest to me as I grew up living a good deal of summers and other times in Charleston Heights back behind the naval base. https://bittersoutherner.com  the article Common High Ground (for some reason it doesn't let me copy/paste the link) There is also a great article about Stacey Abrams.

The article I read points out how climate change and rising seas and increasingly lethal hurricanes are affecting the entire coastline there.

deetoo, Unk p, Jeanne Mayell and 3 people reacted
(@jsr78)
Famed Member Registered

@lovendures I think @baba prediction was a hurricane would hit Galveston and I think that's what Nicholas did it barely hit Houston. I live on the west side all I got was rain and some wind and slept through it. I have power and water uninterrupted rather impressive prediction. Galveston can handle a storm that size. 

deetoo, Unk p, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
 Baba
(@baba)

I hope everyone who is affected by Nicholas is staying safe! Check in when you can and let us know how you are doing!

deetoo, Unk p, FEBbby23 and 11 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

@jsr78 I sure hope Nicholas dwindles in to nothing quickly...this was a LOT of rain " HOUSTON -- Tropical Storm Nicholas hit the Texas coast early Tuesday as a hurricane and dumped more than a foot (30.5 centimeters) of rain along the same area swamped by Hurricane Harvey in 2017, drenching storm-battered Louisiana, knocking out power to hundreds of thousands of people and bringing the potential for life-threatening flash floods across the Deep South.

Nicholas made landfall on the eastern part of the Matagorda Peninsula and was soon downgraded to a tropical storm. It was about 15 miles (25 kilometers) south-southwest of Houston, Texas, with maximum winds of 60 mph (95 kph) as of 7 a.m. CDT Tuesday, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami. Nicholas was the 14th named storm of the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season.

Galveston saw nearly 14 inches (35 centimeters) of rain from Nicholas while Houston reported more than 6 inches (15 centimeters) of rain - a fraction of what fell during Harvey, which dumped more than 60 inches (152 centimeters) of rain in southeast Texas over a four-day period.

Latest Updates on Nicholas' Track

The storm was moving north-northeast at 8 mph (13 kph) and the center of Nicholas was expected to move slowly over southeastern Texas on Tuesday and over southwestern Louisiana on Wednesday."

deetoo, lenor, Unk p and 7 people reacted
(@unk-p)

@lovendures thanks for asking about us, Love.  I am doing fine, the storm didn't do any real damage to the house or the trees.  The only sad thing that happened at my place was that a tiny baby squirrel was blown out of it's nest.  It was dead already when i found it (actually the cat that i got from my roof after Hurricane Harvey found it, and placed it on the doorstep).

I hope everyone else is doing well.  I am super busy this week, so i have to force myself to stay off of the internet for a while, but i should be back next week sometime.   Peace & love to everybody!

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, deetoo and 17 people reacted
(@ana)

Odette has manifested.

The NHC predicts she will remain a tropical storm and stay in the Atlantic. 

Jeanne Mayell, BlueBelle, lenor and 7 people reacted
 Avon
(@avon)
Noble Member Registered
Topic starter  

@ana So glad Odette didn't become the monster I was half expecting.

She's been off the coast for a few days here in NC, we've been getting random bands of rain and wind, but nothing crazy. 

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, BlueBelle and 5 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

Yaaaayyy Glad to hear that!!!! Sure did not want a visit from "Opal's cousin"!!!!

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, Jeanne Mayell and 1 people reacted
(@lovendures)

I am happy also!

There is so much to learn from the Hurricane predictions we had this year.  We are half way through and have had some interesting hits and some definite misses. I am looking forward to reviewing everything when this is over to see what observations can be made on this exercise.  

The best part of making predictions on this site?

Nobody screams that you are wrong.  haha. 

It is a safe place to take a risk and grow your intuition.  The more we learn the more we can help others and be prepared for situations which may arise in the future.  

I hope we can all use whatever intuition we have for the greater good, not simply our own personal good.  

Now, let's see what happens with Peter and the rest of the season.  Let's see what greater good can come from this experiment and all efforts we make at trying to use our gifts for the highest possible positive way.

ghandigirl, Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2 and 13 people reacted
(@ana)

For weather-nerds (like me)--- this column is a lucid, in-depth, and entertaining discussion about what we might expect for the final third of the hurricane season. I love the way this guy writes:

https://weathertiger.substack.com/p/weathertigers-2021-atlantic-hurricane

Jeanne Mayell, Maggieci, BlueBelle and 11 people reacted
(@lovendures)

@ana 

Thanks for this article!  I learns a few things and he is indeed a good writer. 

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, JourneyWithMe2 and 7 people reacted
(@ana)

Odette is gone and Peter has formed.  Peter is forecast to remain at sea, but he is still pretty far out there so the forecast could change. 

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, FEBbby23 and 5 people reacted
(@ana)

@lovendures   My favorite line from the article:

"Much like the acting style of its namesake Nic Cage, Nicholas was uncomfortably intense and disregarded norms of personal space as it intensified to Category 1 hurricane strength just off the Texas coast late Monday."

Rohenna, Jeanne Mayell, Maggieci and 11 people reacted
(@ana)

Rose just joined the party.

And the NHS forecasts that the remnants of Odette will start moving *southward* and possibly "regain tropical...characteristics". Maybe we're not done with Odette?

Jeanne Mayell, lenor, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
(@coyote)

I threw 3 cards earlier this week in response to the question of what the rest of hurricane season has in store for us ("us" can mean anyone living in the potential path of an Atlantic hurricane). I used the Thoth deck, and here is what I got, from left to right:

• 18 Trumps (the Moon): We are on a path to a more beautiful world/unity consciousness/quantum leap, but we have to pass through obstacles to reach our yearned-for destination. Powerful hurricanes and extreme weather in general are part of the gauntlet.
  • 14 Trumps (Art): The storms we have to deal with are of our own making. This is partly because more powerful storms are a product of emitting greenhouse gases. But we are also psychically fueling more powerful hurricanes with tribalism, demonization of "the other," and our inability to recognize our own darkness. The injunction here is that we can use this time to integrate our shadows (and get somewhat less destructive storms in the future in the process).
  • 2 of Wands (Dominion): This card felt really oppressive to me at first, and I thought it symbolized the anger and fiery energy of some of the hurricanes we will be seeing. I think that's still true, but the 2 of Wands also speaks to how we as individuals can be much more focused on our spiritual growth once we've passed through the crucible of hurricane season. The energy that will be available will infuse us with lots of fiery commitment to our goals if we allow it.

This appeared to be an intimidating spread at first, but closer examination made it less so. I just let the cards tell a story and don't assign any specific role based on each card's position. 

JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23, Rohenna and 15 people reacted
(@lovendures)

@coyote 

Wow Coyote!  Thank you.  Really like what you had to say.

JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23, Jeanne Mayell and 5 people reacted
(@coyote)

BTW, based on the cards I threw and my analytical ponderings, I think there will be at least 1 more storm this season who's name will be retired. There may also be a few major hurricanes that never make landfall.

Jeanne Mayell, JourneyWithMe2, FEBbby23 and 3 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ana I loved that weather article you posted. So much uncertainty in it.  But interesting how he explained that October is usually the worst month.  When we meditated for the future along a timeline last June, I had seen the worst storm in October, and it was hitting South Florida on both coasts. Tonight I tried throwing cards on it, but the psyche doesn't like it when we ask the same question twice. Keeping fingers crossed that we've seen the worst of the hurricane season already. 

FEBbby23, Iridium, Rohenna and 3 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)

https://www.wunderground.com/video/top-stories/sam-becomes-a-category-4-hurricane-in-atlantic  Sam is very powerful and is being watched as is one called Victor.

Jeanne Mayell, FEBbby23, Lovendures and 3 people reacted
Page 7 / 8
Share: