Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Atlantic Hurricane Season

(@lovendures)
Illustrious Member Moderator

Victor has arrived.  This means that only one name remains, Wanda.  After Wanda we go to list number 2. Adria will be first up on that list. Oh, we are definitely going to see some of those list 2 names.

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, lenor and 3 people reacted
(@journeywithme2)
Illustrious Member Registered

(@melmystery)
Noble Member Registered

@lovendures 

No XYX names?  It seems like they should finish the alphabet before starting on list two.  What about Xander, Xavier, or Xena?  Yvonne or Yasmin?  Zack or Zoey?  There aren't as many XYZ names out there, but there are some.

Jeanne Mayell, Unk p, BlueBelle and 7 people reacted
(@unk-p)

@melmystery Hurricane Zsa Zsa!

Iridium, Jeanne Mayell, melmystery and 3 people reacted
(@melmystery)
Noble Member Registered

@unk-p 

I love it!

Unk p and Unk p reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @coyote

BTW, based on the cards I threw and my analytical ponderings, I think there will be at least 1 more storm this season who's name will be retired. There may also be a few major hurricanes that never make landfall.

coyote, I am waiting for an October storm I'd seen during June RTF night that was a whopper that covered both coasts of southern Florida. I'd like it not to happen, but I can't get the vision I had out of my mind. From high above the earth, I'd seen objects on the ground flung into the air like pieces of confetti. 

lenor, Unk p, BlueBelle and 3 people reacted
(@ana)

Quotes from the latest WeatherTiger column ( weathertiger.substack.com/p/sam-cooks-weathertigers-weekly-column), which says that in mid- October, hurricanes begin developing more in the western Caribbean and less in the eastern Atlantic.

For South Florida, you’ve got another thing coming, just like Judas Priest said. After a historical lull in hurricane action for the southern peninsula between roughly September 20 and October 10, there is a secondary apex in hurricane landfall frequency, rivaling early September’s primary peak, around October 20 and receding by the end of the month. October hurricanes, like Wilma, typically approach Florida from the southwest after developing in the western Caribbean.

and the most fun quote IMO:

In short, as October begins, the signs of change are everywhere. Billie Joe Armstrong can be safely awakened. Dog the Bounty Hunter roams Florida’s great State Park system like a capricious zephyr. Twelve-foot tall deluxe skeletons costing $299.99 at Home Depot fleck the dusk horizon. And while a quiet week is ahead in the Tropics, we’ll continue to monitor the southern Caribbean for any signs of trouble as October gets underway. Keep watching the skies.

PamP, lenor, Avon and 7 people reacted
(@jeanne-mayell)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ana Thanks for posting. I like this guy. 

PamP, Unk p, Iridium and 3 people reacted
(@coyote)

Hurricane season is still active. I had a vision this morning that a hurricane was spinning around in the Gulf of Maine. It turns out Tropical Storm Wanda has formed way out in the Atlantic by the Azores at the same latitude as Maine.

Lovendures, PamP, lenor and 3 people reacted
(@ana)

Well, it's the last day of the 2021 hurricane season, and for those of you who appreciate the WeatherTiger columns, there's one more. The full column is at https://weathertiger.com/tropical/weathertigers-2021-hurricane-season-year-in-review/.    Here's his intro:

Eternal return is the idea that all events throughout time and space recur in an infinite loop.

Some readers may dimly recall I also began this June's pre-hurricane season outlook that way. However, it wasn’t just brain-fogged meteorologists having trouble generating original content this year; in many ways, 2021 mimicked the slings and arrows of an outrageous 2020, tropically and elsewhere. Fortunately, very much unlike 2020, but like most of us beleaguered humans, hurricane season 2021 ran out of steam around late September.

While tropical activity can occur after the official end of the season, no U.S. landfalls have ever occurred after December 1st and there is nothing on the horizon. Thus, it’s time for WeatherTiger’s look back on the 2021 hurricane season, which again brought misery to the Gulf Coast, this time while Jeff Bezos took short, pointless trips to space.

raincloud, Unk p, raincloud and 1 people reacted
Page 8 / 8
Share: